Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Strangest thing to get used to

Started by Alora, September 23, 2017, 11:02:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alora

So I was thinking about this the other day...

What is the strangest thing since my transition to get used to?

Well for me, it's the opposite way shirts button up. Men's dress shirts button left to right, women's right to left. So weird!!!

What's your strange thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  •  

Alora

I apologize mods, I started this in 2 locations because I wanted to involve everyone and hear from just my MTF peers.

So I was thinking about this the other day...

What is the strangest thing since my transition to get used to?

Well for me, it's the opposite way shirts button up. Men's dress shirts button left to right, women's right to left. So weird!!!

What's your strange thing?

•  

jfong

Looking at myself in the mirror and actually liking the person looking back at me.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

•  

noleen111

Sitting like a lady, such sitting with crossed legs, especially when wearing a dress.

Some special mentions, self inflicted so to say

- having longer nails, but then they do look pretty with nail polish
- having pierced ears (the feeling of the jewelry in my ears was weird at first), but I got over that as now I have 3 holes in each ear, with a pierced navel and nose).

Enjoying ride the hormones are giving me... finally becoming the woman I always knew I was
  •  

Julia1996

For me it was having boobs. When I was using inserts obviously they didn't have feeling. But my own certainly do. I can feel the lightest brush up against them. At first it was kind of weird when I would feel them on the inside of my arms when my arms were outstretched. I especially noticed it when I was cutting hair. Guys reactions to them were also strange for me at first. My boobs are only a small C but still some guys talk to my chest instead of my face. And I found my brother's reactions hilarious. He's chilled out a little now but at first it was awkward for him. When he hugged me he would kind of pull back a little so his chest wouldn't be on my boobs. Lol. And once we were watching TV and he reached over to get my attention and ended up getting a handful of boob. When he realized what he was touching he pulled his hand away like it was in a fire. I told him he had to at least buy me dinner before he could play with those. He told me that was So not funny.  It cracks me up how men came n be so boob obsessed and at the same time boob squeamish.  Lol
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

JessiCalypsoƸ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ

Quote from: jfong on September 23, 2017, 11:32:30 AM
Looking at myself in the mirror and actually liking the person looking back at me.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
I can't wait to feel that way... I HATE the person looking back at me from the mirror... I can see the girl inside clawing to get out... Just started HRT 9 days ago... I'm in Walmart right now & all around me are pretty girls wearing adorable clothes... I'm so jealous... I want what they have SOOO BAD!! It's torture! to quote amandam i feel like a "hairy, lurching, manly beast!" Trying not to cry... Ok I'm done feeling sorry for myself... Sorry for ranting... just feels like the life I've always wanted is SO CLOSE... but just out of reach. [emoji22]
Sorry for hijacking the purpose of the thread... just needed to vent... Much love, ladies. -Jessi

Sent from my Z799VL using Tapatalk

"This, too, shall pass." So simple. So powerful. Saved my life. 💖⚧💋
  •  

Rayna

Yeah, I keep reaching for the zipper on pants with the wrong hand! But then some are sewn the "male" way, especially jeans. Oh well, other women must be equally confused :)

Sent from my Victor 9000 using Tapatalk

If so, then why not?
  •  

Tammy Jade

Layering

Working out colour combinations that don't make me look masculine is some kind of dark art.

-Mara

- Tamara Jade

** The Meaning of Life?? Is to find the Meaning of Life **
  •  

Shellie Hart

Quote from: Julia1996 on September 23, 2017, 11:51:09 AM
For me it was having boobs. When I was using inserts obviously they didn't have feeling. But my own certainly do. I can feel the lightest brush up against them. At first it was kind of weird when I would feel them on the inside of my arms when my arms were outstretched. I especially noticed it when I was cutting hair. Guys reactions to them were also strange for me at first. My boobs are only a small C but still some guys talk to my chest instead of my face. And I found my brother's reactions hilarious. He's chilled out a little now but at first it was awkward for him. When he hugged me he would kind of pull back a little so his chest wouldn't be on my boobs. Lol. And once we were watching TV and he reached over to get my attention and ended up getting a handful of boob. When he realized what he was touching he pulled his hand away like it was in a fire. I told him he had to at least buy me dinner before he could play with those. He told me that was So not funny.  It cracks me up how men came n be so boob obsessed and at the same time boob squeamish.  Lol

For me it was not so much having boobs that I can feel but having boobs that are now so visible. All of my shirts now stick out an additional 2 inches or so than just a few months ago. I love how I look but now I get a little overly-conscious about my chest. I am hoping to get "used to" my new reality soon, but so far they keep grabbing my attention all day, as well as the attention of any onlookers, it seems... ???
  •  

Harley Quinn

The extra attention... like slow motion entrances into a room or down the street as everyone turns.
At what point did my life go Looney Tunes? How did it happen? Who's to blame?... Batman, that's who. Batman! It's always been Batman! Ruining my life, spoiling my fun! >:-)
  •  

sarah1972

Aside from the growing breasts I now constantly feel (even when driving) the strangest thing is not having large pockets on my cloth. It is just not very feminine to put all kind of things in your pockets... i finally found a skirt with some good sized pockets and it may just give away everything if I put too much in it...

Along the same lines: having a purse / hand bag... a few times I have been searching for car keys or wallet or other random things just to realize days later that I put them in my purse at some point [emoji56]

•  

FinallyMichelle

Sorry Jessi.  :'( I don't know if this will help but there are two "believe it or nots" about transition. One; once we start, almost all of us get there. Usually to a more endurable state by far. It is just outlasting the storm. Two; for most of us, the grass actually IS greener on the other side.

So on to strange things to get used to.
Hmmm... There are a few.
Pockets. Seriously, what happened to pockets? I mostly wear dresses or skirts so maybe once every two or three weeks I am wearing something that has pockets. Even if I wear pants though, again I ask,  What Happened To Pockets?!?! They are so small! If I put my phone in the back pocket I have to worry about it falling out every time I go to the bathroom, no matter what pocket I use I can only fit half my phone into it. This particular phenomenon is not so bad, I have a bag or 4 that I can put all of my stuff in.  ;) Sometimes a pocket would be nice though.
There are 7 days to every week but I need a minimum of 8 pair of shoes to survive a week. I am not well taught in algebra or whatever but even I can tell the math doesn't add up.

Really though I have to agree with Harley, attention. I guess that in a way I have gotten used to stares, well from women anyway. You can check my logic but I figure it this way. I look at women all the time, what they are wearing, oh my god those shoes!, I wonder how hard it would be to do my hair like that, sheesh  :icon_woowoo: where did she find that guy? Hot guys-r-us? Is there a website or app or something? She is not that much prettier than me, maybe I could find his not as hot cousin? Sigh, not always proud of my thoughts.
It is so pointless to wonder what people are thinking that I have to just assume that other women are thinking about the same thing that I am. I would go bananas otherwise.
Men though are completely different. I mean I get it, I stand out. Tall, usually in a dress or skirt, long curly hair and don't judge, don't wear a bra. Now, I assume that it is something like false advertising to men, I am nothing special. That they see me and something in their Neanderthal, crotch scratching, chest thumping brain wakes up and goes Ooooo! and a moment later they get a closer look at the real me and go Awww! Truthfully though, transition has not given me any greater insight into a man's thinking so I don't know what is going on in there. Here is the strange however, why do so many if them turn into the most macho dude in the world or a little boy when they talk to me? Sometimes both!? I just don't understand the attention. My one boss will not leave me alone, he is either picking on me or trying to help me ALL THE TIME! Took a friend to the doctor this past week, I felt like I was back in high school. This 50+ year old surgeon follows us back to where the nurse has a little more paperwork to finish, he is bragging a little, talking big and bad a little, fidgeting a lot until the nurse tells him to go away until she is done. He is waiting for us with the receptionist and again he is being just annoying enough that she finally rolls her eyes, turns around and asks him if he needs a valium. Then she apologizes to me. Why apologize to me? That is what is strange for me and is hard to get used to. I used to listen to their stories now they tell me about themselves, god that is awesome though! Just hard to get used to. I am not used to men being vulnerable around me, not unless I knew them very well. I don't know, I suppose that I always thought that men were men you know? The way they were around me is the way they are around everyone. Turns out that I was as wrong as I have ever been. It is all so weird though and a little sad. I am very careful not to look men in the eyes anymore, not on most random encounters and I feel like I am being rude. How do the rest of you girls deal with that? Is it wrong of me not to want to deal with that all the time?

Michelle
  •  

Ryuichi13

I hope this topic is for everyone, because currently the strangest thing I have to get used to is the way my packer fits in my jeans.

Sometimes its on the left of the center crease, and sometimes it ends up on the right.  It has even gotten stuck in the middle when I get in the car, which is uncomfortable for me, and its just a silicon prosthesis! 

I'm wondering how those with an actual penis and testicles deals with it, do they let it go wherever it wants or "place" it on the left or right?  And yes, I have "proper" boxer-briefs for it, in case you were wondering.

Its a real head-scratcher.

Ryuichi

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

•  

sarah1972

Along the lines of Michelle I can also add the different attitude of men... I knew all along men behave strange in the presence of women.
But getting stared at all the time (and not the getting clocked stare, the state of desperate business travels who have been away from their mistress for too much time) and getting hit on in random situations ("what are you doing with the rest of your day ma'am ").

It started way before coming out when I was just wearing girls jeans and I caught guys staring at my butt.

Sometimes I take it as a compliment, sometimes it is just disturbing.

•  

Julia1996

Quote from: sarah1972 on September 24, 2017, 05:54:09 AM
Along the lines of Michelle I can also add the different attitude of men... I knew all along men behave strange in the presence of women.
But getting stared at all the time (and not the getting clocked stare, the state of desperate business travels who have been away from their mistress for too much time) and getting hit on in random situations ("what are you doing with the rest of your day ma'am ").

It started way before coming out when I was just wearing girls jeans and I caught guys staring at my butt.

Sometimes I take it as a compliment, sometimes it is just disturbing.

It does take a while to get used to the behavior of guys after trantransition. People have always looked at me because of my unusual skin color but before transition I noticed when guys were looking at me it was obvious they were trying to figure out if I was male or female. There was always hostility, I guess they didn't want to chance being nice to someone who might be a boy. After transition when they look at me they are friendly and smile. I always thought of guys as very simple, basic creatures. But actually it turns out they are quite complex. It's kind of like watching a gorilla use sign language.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

KarynMcD

Quote from: Ryuichi13 on September 24, 2017, 02:22:33 AM
Sometimes its on the left of the center crease, and sometimes it ends up on the right.  It has even gotten stuck in the middle when I get in the car, which is uncomfortable for me, and its just a silicon prosthesis! 
You know that phrase "how's it hanging?" This is what they are talking about.

QuoteI'm wondering how those with an actual penis and testicles deals with it, do they let it go wherever it wants or "place" it on the left or right?  And yes, I have "proper" boxer-briefs for it, in case you were wondering.
It usually a bit more comfortable in the center and you would try to recenter it when no one is looking.
When wearing loose fitting pants/shorts, just let it do what it want's. If it starts to feel annoying in one spot, you might play some "pocket pool" to shift it around. You try to be discrete about it though.
  •  

sarah1972

That about sums it up pretty nicely!

Quote from: Julia1996 on September 24, 2017, 06:18:54 AM
It's kind of like watching a gorilla use sign language.

Makes me wonder if I used to be a gorilla too at times.

•  

Julia1996

Quote from: sarah1972 on September 24, 2017, 06:29:41 AM
That about sums it up pretty nicely!

Makes me wonder if I used to be a gorilla too at times.

No you weren't a gorilla. You might have had to ACT like a gorilla for self preservation but you weren't really one of them.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Cindy

I hope this topic is for everyone, because currently the strangest thing I have to get used to is the way my packer fits in my jeans.

I'm wondering how those with an actual penis and testicles deals with it, do they let it go wherever it wants or "place" it on the left or right?  And yes, I have "proper" boxer-briefs for it, in case you were wondering.

Ryuichi

I remember when I had those appendages and was at a high class tailor for a fitting. It was 'where do they hang? The trousers were then tailored correctly so that there where no bulge or prominence. Gentlemen have no reason to boast was the expression.
If you look at high profile men there is very seldom a prominent bulge. Attitude and class is everything in a man - just my opinion.
  •  

Megan.

Ryuichi

Interesting item. Even as AMAB, I never had this issue; I'm certainly at the 'small' end of the endowment bell-curve [emoji23]

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk

•