Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

PATS scheme does not pay for interstate travel

Started by LizK, September 25, 2017, 08:19:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizK

I have just got off the phone with the PATS Patient Assistance transport scheme refusing my claim for interstate travel to see a SRS surgeon. I was told they do not pay for interstate travel...OK well that's not helpful...So even though I cannot see a surgeon in SA where I am I cannot get subsidy to go interstate. The woman I spoke to claimed that the SA health organisation that is treating me is responsible for paying for that, I see a private psychiatrist??...it makes no sense to me at all....
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

Tammy Jade

Ring back and try to get someone else?

I would have though that as you can't get it done here they should cover that.

Ur other options my be to draw down on super, Iv head that the surgeon I'm looking at (Ives) will sign off on that. Assuming u are in a financial situation to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
- Tamara Jade

** The Meaning of Life?? Is to find the Meaning of Life **
  •  

LizK

Quote from: Tammy Jade on September 25, 2017, 08:24:32 PM
Ring back and try to get someone else?

I would have though that as you can't get it done here they should cover that.

Ur other options my be to draw down on super, Iv head that the surgeon I'm looking at (Ives) will sign off on that. Assuming u are in a financial situation to do so.

I thought I was entitled to get the cost of going interstate for a surgeons consult reimbursed because I couldn't see one here...but PATS scheme does not pay for interstate travel...This is the second person to have told me this as she was the one who rejected my claim. Normally a claim is done via the hospital that is referring you but here in SA the hospitals are not involved in Trans treatment...its $250 that I guess I will just have to write off to experience....It is so frustrating that there is no information and even less in the way of services...I have funds now for my surgery (yay) but this is just irksome
HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •  

Tammy Jade

It is somewhat frustrating how hard it is to find this stuff out.
At least you have the funds for the surgery tho! Travel can be frustrating, did you have to go over for consults Iv been trying to work out how those work with interstate surgeons.

- Tamara Jade

** The Meaning of Life?? Is to find the Meaning of Life **
  •  

LizK

Quote from: Tammy Jade on September 25, 2017, 08:50:25 PM
It is somewhat frustrating how hard it is to find this stuff out.
At least you have the funds for the surgery tho! Travel can be frustrating, did you have to go over for consults Iv been trying to work out how those work with interstate surgeons.

Yes I went to see Dr Ives in Melbourne and had to fly of course and with the Taxi there and back I did it cheaply for $250...I was told that this all need to be done by the "Hospital staff"...but it was all irrelevant because I was told they would not pay fort me to go to Melbourne...I don't know but I was under the impression we were entitled to claim but this is more for country patients coming into the city for treatment. Glad I didn't spend a fortune on it.
HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •  

Cindy

The medic who referred you to Andy fills in the form for you to claim PATS. They referred you as there is no surgeon in SA, same as if you were referred from a hospital
  •  

LizK

Quote from: Cindy on September 26, 2017, 02:01:11 AM
The medic who referred you to Andy fills in the form for you to claim PATS. They referred you as there is no surgeon in SA, same as if you were referred from a hospital
I submitted everything I had without the forms as I didn't know they were required but the thing I could not understand was that she was adamant that even if I got the forms they would not reimburse me for the airfares or taxi to the rooms, they were only responsible for travel within SA..I am downloading the forms and will get them filled out and try again

Thanks Cindy
HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •