Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Walking for weightloss?

Started by Saira128, October 05, 2017, 03:19:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saira128

Hi everyone! I am 100 pounds overweight. I decided that I was gonna lose weight and started walking 10 days ago.
       I have started walking 10 kms a day, that's a little bit more than 6 miles a day. I have also started following a strict diet throughout the day, and have started having just salad and fruit for dinner.
        I have already started losing weight. Will I keep losing weight with this schedule or should I do something different?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Love ,
          Saira :-*
  •  

Deborah

Great work on getting more active.  That will give you lots of health benefits if you keep it up.  Whether you will continue losing weight is all up to your diet.  One mistake to avoid is cutting your calories too much.  If you eat too little then over time your body will lower its metabolism in order to burn fewer calories.  This is more than the lowering it experiences from moving less body weight around and includes the body regulating its internal processes, such as heat production, to use fewer calories each day.

To avoid that do not cut calories too much.  Cut them some and at the same time reduce sugar, reduce overall carb intake and eat adequate protein.  Eating fat is ok so eat all of that you want within your calorie limits.  Eat less often and ideally just one or two meals a day with no other snacking in between.

Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

Roll

(The following is 90% anecdotal on my own experience/results.)

In my opinion, at 10km you will definitely see results for a while if you are that much overweight. I started out with a much shorter distance and a simple diet and shed pounds quickly at first. Walking is a good starter exercise since there are so many things that can really kill the ankles and knees if you jump into them too soon while significantly overweight. In my experience, long-term you will want to do some strength building or pick up the pace to jogging and running as your body allows because it will be very hard to stay motivated to walk that much a day. It helps a lot when you can burn the same amount of calories in a more efficient manner. (Such as running even a shorter distance. Takes faaaaar less time! Though simply having lean muscle is the big one here, since it makes everything more efficient.)

Definitely listen to Deborah on not reducing calories too much as well. That was a mistake I made at first and was responsible for a stall and burn out after a few months for a number of reasons. I had a plateau for months trying to get my body used to more food again in order to kick start weight loss back on track when I did cut some more back out. (The key there was staying steady in weight while eating more gradually I think.)
~ Ellie
■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■
I ALWAYS WELCOME PMs!
(I made the s lowercase so it didn't look as much like PMS... ;D)

An Open Letter to anyone suffering from anxiety, particularly those afraid to make your first post or continue posting!

8/30/17 - First Therapy! The road begins in earnest.
10/20/17 - First coming out (to my father)!
12/16/17 - BEGAN HRT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
5/21/18 - FIRST DAY OUT AS ME!!!!!!!!!
6/08/18 - 2,250 Hair Grafts
6/23/18 - FIRST PRIDE!
8/06/18 - 100%, completely out!
9/08/18 - I'M IN LOVE!!!!
2/27/19 - Name Change!

•  

Deborah

I'm making a few assumptions but if you are 100 lbs overweight and walking 10 km then you are burning around 3600 cal per day.  Given that a safe calorie deficit with that much weight to lose is 1000 cal you should be eating around 2600 cal per day to lose 3 pounds a week.  If you eat a lot less than that you will lose more weight at first but will cause yourself metabolic problems later on.

As you lose weight you will also burn fewer calories.  So you should recalculate how much you eat every few weeks.

Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

Saira128

I just came home after walking 10 kms. I feel so relaxed. Time to sleep like a baby. [emoji99]

Love ,
  •  

Deborah

Yaaaaay!!!   I love walking too and do it every day.  It's my time to listen to audiobooks or podcasts without any other distractions.

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

Roll

Quote from: Deborah on October 05, 2017, 11:11:56 AM
Yaaaaay!!!   I love walking too and do it every day.  It's my time to listen to audiobooks or podcasts without any other distractions.

I wish I could do that here and not get ran over, I'd be walking constantly. No sidewalks, crazy people going up and down the neighborhoods at 40 mph all the time, and narrow roads because of old oaks they can't take down (also part of the reason for the lack of sidewalks). (Death caused by crashing into or swerving around trees is really bad here. Someone did a study on it a few years ago, and it's way above the usual stats for traffic fatalities which are already on the high side.) On top of that, my treadmill is falling apart and I don't trust it is safe either.
~ Ellie
■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■
I ALWAYS WELCOME PMs!
(I made the s lowercase so it didn't look as much like PMS... ;D)

An Open Letter to anyone suffering from anxiety, particularly those afraid to make your first post or continue posting!

8/30/17 - First Therapy! The road begins in earnest.
10/20/17 - First coming out (to my father)!
12/16/17 - BEGAN HRT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
5/21/18 - FIRST DAY OUT AS ME!!!!!!!!!
6/08/18 - 2,250 Hair Grafts
6/23/18 - FIRST PRIDE!
8/06/18 - 100%, completely out!
9/08/18 - I'M IN LOVE!!!!
2/27/19 - Name Change!

•  

Saira128

Quote from: Deborah on October 05, 2017, 11:11:56 AM

Its my time to listen to music. 2 hours of music.

Love ,
  •  

Saira128

Quote from: Roll on October 05, 2017, 12:17:40 PM
I wish I could do that here and not get ran over, I'd be walking constantly. No sidewalks, crazy people going up and down the neighborhoods at 40 mph all the time, and narrow roads because of old oaks they can't take down (also part of the reason for the lack of sidewalks). (Death caused by crashing into or swerving around trees is really bad here. Someone did a study on it a few years ago, and it's way above the usual stats for traffic fatalities which are already on the high side.) On top of that, my treadmill is falling apart and I don't trust it is safe either.
I would have risked it [emoji28]

Love ,
  •