News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Becoming Staff/Moderator?

Started by JennyBear, October 11, 2017, 03:45:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JennyBear

Question for Moderators and Admin,

I know that at less than a week of membership, I'm still very new to the site. I also realize that I have yet to subscribe/donate, as there isn't yet the budget to do so. However those of you that have followed/read my posts know that I tend to be fairly insightful and supportive to our members here. I have also made posts politely correcting false information, or providing it where there was a vacuum of information, as well as deferring to others with more expertise, (such as Moderators.) I am thinking about whether or not I would like the opportunity to prove myself to you as a moderator candidate, but with this debate comes questions that I would greatly appreciate answers to:

1. Is there a post level category or time as member requirement to become a Moderator? Do I need to attain family status, or a certain length of time since joining first? Or is it all based on individual evaluation of merit and commitment?

2. What specifically are the Moderators responsibilities? Do you all have to read every post when you are online to see if it needs staff attention, or just within your areas of expertise? When do you move something up the chain of command and refer to an Admin or Susan?

3. Is there a specific time requirement? Is there a minimum number of hours, either daily, weekly, etc, that must be spent to fulfill Moderator duties?

4. Is there a financial contribution requirement? Do I need to subscribe, and if so, at what level of subscriber?  Are one time donations sufficient, (such as a larger one at tax time, when budgets are usually more open?) Or, is there no requirement, merely strongly suggested to contribute?

5. Is it even currently possible to become one? Is there room for more, or a position currently or soon to be open? Or do you feel that you are fully staffed as it is, and that another Moderator might just add drama and/or chaos into the mix?

I appreciate any or all of you that take the time to read this and give me feedback. I know your time is precious. Hopefully one day I can join you and help reduce your workload, or at the very least, provide a different set of eyes, ears, and thoughts to helping when and where it's needed. This inquiry comes not from a place of ego or narcissism, but one of nurturing, a basic desire to be helpful and useful, and most importantly, a place of love. I don't just feel that I am more qualified or better than anyone else here. I love the site and the much needed (and occasionally life-saving) support it provides those in our community. I would love an opportunity to give back to others, especially since I have been so blessed in the support that I myself have received, including from this site. Thanks for your time and thoughts.

HUGS!
"Don't be fooled by the rocks that I got. I'm still, I'm still Jenny from the block."
  •  

Dena

We are always looking for good moderator material and our primary problem is finding enough moderators. We have about 3 people we are considering but there is still room for more members. Normally we like to see about 1000 posts so we can determine how stable the members is. It's more important for you to take care of yourself first and if you are in a good place, then taking on a moderator position shouldn't be harmful to you. In my case, I stuck out like a sore thumb and they were looking at me well before I hit 1000 post so the quality of your posting is very important.

You need work well with people and help members when possible. Sometimes there are difficult topics or suicidal members and you need to deal with them at least until someone is available to help. You have to learn the TOS and how to apply it. Once you know the TOS, you can't violate it as the judgement is harsher for a staff member than a regular member.

The time you  spend on the site is somewhat determined by your schedule. We are flexible but we need you to commit to putting time in as it takes time to train a moderator. While you can be working in a few day, it can take months to get the fine points down. In my case, I spend about 10 hours a day on the site and more on week ends. I have the goal of viewing every post and most days, I only miss a few. Other eyes still are beneficial because it's not always possible to catch everything so what one person misses, the other might catch.

The titles are Global Moderator which is the starting point, (S) Global Moderator where you are skilled in handling most of the issues on the site and Cindy who is the administrator who receives the really hot potatoes. If at any point there is something you are uncomfortable handling or shouldn't handle, you flag it and leave it for somebody else.

There is no requirement that you donate money for anything on the site other than the badges that indicate you are a donor or a subscriber. The moderator staff understands how important the site is and in addition to our time, we chose to contribute money to keep the site running.

Last but not least, the Moderators and Administrators are very visible on the forum but there are other ways to help the site. News is badly in need of people who can write, Links is constantly updated to reflect the latest information and WiKi also needs to be maintained. Chat can also use help however moderating Chat is as difficult as moderating the forum however if you are known in Chat, your posting here isn't as critical as what you have done in Chat.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

JennyBear

Quote from: Dena on October 11, 2017, 04:18:30 PM
You need work well with people and help members when possible. Sometimes there are difficult topics or suicidal members and you need to deal with them at least until someone is available to help.

If at any point there is something you are uncomfortable handling or shouldn't handle, you flag it and leave it for somebody else.

Last but not least, the Moderators and Administrators are very visible on the forum but there are other ways to help the site. News is badly in need of people who can write, Links is constantly updated to reflect the latest information and WiKi also needs to be maintained. Chat can also use help however moderating Chat is as difficult as moderating the forum however if you are known in Chat, your posting here isn't as critical as what you have done in Chat.

First and foremost, thanks for replying. So other than the obvious full knowledge of the TOS and the stated guideline of 1000 posts, I'm noticing mostly somewhat vague and subjective generalities. Nothing wrong with that if that's the case. Being high functioning Autistic with some legal training, I just tend to prefer more black and white clarification.

Regarding the first highlighted portion of your reply, I have already been posting on threads that I've noticed that show major signs of depression, severe difficulties dealing with their current situation, loss of motivation to continue progressing, and one that was suicidal. While I lack certifications or a degree, I do have some psychological training and counseling experience and consider those posts to be of the utmost urgency and importance.

Regarding the second, I have already deferred to Moderators and even other basic members that I feel are more qualified to answer questions or particular details when I feel that it is beyond my realm of expertise. That is a trend I am intent on continuing as helping others comes first, my ego comes last.

Regarding the third highlighted section of your reply: I feel duty bound to follow the military transgender ban and its developments, and have made a post (admittedly in the roll call thread) regarding it. Not sure if I should continue to post in that thread as well as in the News section or not. I would strongly prefer to moderate the forums over the chat. While not opposed to perusing the chat site, it seems that it would inherently require a much stricter time commitment and a necessity for quicker action. With the forum, on the other hand, time is more lax, and I can better think about and self edit my comments. As chat is currently down, (according to a Moderator's reply to my question on the issue,) I have no way of making my presence known there and giving others a "feel" for me at the moment.

Again, thank you for your prompt response, even if there are questions remaining to be answered. I hope one day I am able to join your ranks and respond to other inquiries such as these. Stay Safe and Strong.

HUGS!
"Don't be fooled by the rocks that I got. I'm still, I'm still Jenny from the block."
  •  

Devlyn

I don't know how Cindy handles the hiring process, but back when I was made a Mod it involved waking up with a big egg on my head wearing a Moderator badge. You'll know when it happens to you.  :laugh: 

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

AnonyMs

Why do you want to be a moderator? You can easily help people without having an official title, and if you do so you'd be asked in due time if you want to be a mod.
  •  

Devlyn

That's actually how I got there.  :)

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

JennyBear

Quote from: Devlyn Marie on October 11, 2017, 07:14:55 PM
I don't know how Cindy handles the hiring process, but back when I was made a Mod it involved waking up with a big egg on my head wearing a Moderator badge. You'll know when it happens to you.  :laugh: 

BTW, some of your posts violate TOS #1, you didn't get far on the full knowledge part!  :laugh:

Hugs, Devlyn

Apologies, If you could point them out to me via reply or PM I'll gladly change them. As I said I'm new and still learning. I just want to help.

HUGS!
  •  

JennyBear

Quote from: AnonyMs on October 11, 2017, 07:52:18 PM
Why do you want to be a moderator? You can easily help people without having an official title, and if you do so you'd be asked in due time if you want to be a mod.

Never been one before. I get the sense that it would be a worthwhile and rewarding experience. In no way is this an instance of someone that is power/authority hungry. Had enough of that in the Military. I tend to be online at times (late at night) when there are few, if any, Moderators. It seems there are voids there to be filled, but I could very well be mistaken. Totally with you on the in due time part, not trying to jump the gun. It's more something I'm interested in and wanted more info, if ever the opportunity comes up in the future. Couldn't find a thread on it anywhere, though I'm sure that I'm not the first person that's been curious about the process. I really do just want to give back to the community and help. Usually anything that reduces ones (staff) workloads, allows them to help more people. And I plan on helping as many as I can on a daily basis.

HUGS!
  •  

JennyBear

Quote from: Devlyn Marie on October 11, 2017, 07:14:55 PM
BTW, some of your posts violate TOS #1, you didn't get far on the full knowledge part!  :laugh:

Hugs, Devlyn

Just finished re-reading the TOS. I was unaware that a medical study counted under the description listed. Should I remove those from the posts, and if so, what would be the best way to post them in the links section and redirect the person whose question I was answering to them? (Long sentence, I know, but still grammatically correct. ;) )

HUGS!
  •  

Devlyn

What you post on the Forums is between you and Forum Staff.  ;)

There is a Submit Link button on the Links Directory. You'll need to create an account for the Directory, your Forum login information won't work there.

Once we receive an addition, we bicker and argue about who's going to handle it, then we draw straws and the loser has to get up and brush the doughnut crumbs off of themselves and approve the new link. It's not impressive, but it's how we do business.

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Devlyn

Did Dena mention that if you take the job you have to put up with me twice as much as the members do?  >:-)
  •  

JennyBear

Quote from: Devlyn Marie on October 11, 2017, 09:10:13 PM
Did Dena mention that if you take the job you have to put up with me twice as much as the members do?  >:-)

But I like putting up with you, so far.......heck, I even buddied you. LOL

Maybe if you could look at the links that were given in response to the if only we could prove brain differences question, (same links in a thread regarding help battling grandmas' info,) might be easier, if you have the time of course. I don't plan on making any other links, so to go through the process you described just for a small handful of medical ones on a single topic doesn't seem very efficient. Though I'm sure there are plenty here, such as the two I posted them for, that could use them.

HUGS!
  •  

JennyBear

Quote from: elkie-t on October 11, 2017, 09:17:25 PM
I'm moderating some forums with 3k subscribers, but I wouldn't want the job here. Mostly because whenever you see a newcomer, you have to post a number of links to TOS and so on. It looks boring and I doubt anyone ever read TOS from the links :)

I had read it (TOS) before I saw a link to it. I guess I just went a little too fast. However, I wouldn't mind the work. That's kind of the point, less work for others. Makes me feel useful, even if it does get monotonous.
  •  

V M

I can appreciate your enthusiasm but most folks become moderators or admin.s  because they are asked or invited to do so

Kinda like a Marine Corps sniper being invited to join SEAL teams but a bit different

Just be patient, I'm sure your time may come

Hugs
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

Dena

Quote from: elkie-t on October 11, 2017, 09:17:25 PM
I'm moderating some forums with 3k subscribers, but I wouldn't want the job here. Mostly because whenever you see a newcomer, you have to post a number of links to TOS and so on. It looks boring and I doubt anyone ever read TOS from the links :)
We have about 30,000 though many aren't very active. Any given day we tend to have between 500 and 700 member use the site however that number can go as high as 1,000. The job is far from boring as normally links are a very small portion of the work we do every day. It's possible to do 6-10 moderator reports a day, you need to scan massive amounts of posts and we get personal correspondence that we need to reply to.

Quote from: JennyBear on October 11, 2017, 09:32:34 PM
Quote from: Devlyn Marie on October 11, 2017, 09:10:13 PM

But I like putting up with you, so far.......heck, I even buddied you. LOL

Maybe if you could look at the links that were given in response to the if only we could prove brain differences question, (same links in a thread regarding help battling grandmas' info,) might be easier, if you have the time of course. I don't plan on making any other links, so to go through the process you described just for a small handful of medical ones on a single topic doesn't seem very efficient. Though I'm sure there are plenty here, such as the two I posted them for, that could use them.

HUGS!
TOS 1 is intended to give members time to learn what a proper link is. We don't want a new member posting a link to Ralph's raunchy images as it's never appropriate on this site. The links you posted have been reviewed and conform to the site guidelines so we didn't call a TOS 1 and left the links in place. Being a moderator requires using your personal judgement and walking the line between doing your job and not over moderating. Do we always get it right - no but that's why it can take months to learn the job.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

JennyBear

Quote from: V M on October 11, 2017, 09:45:16 PM
I can appreciate your enthusiasm but most folks become moderators or admin.s  because they are asked or invited to do so

Kinda like a Marine Corps sniper being invited to join SEAL teams but a bit different

Just be patient, I'm sure your time may come

Hugs

Great analogy, particularly for a Vet like me. Yeah you can pursue Selection for Army SF, but Delta tryouts were by invite only. No worries on the patience issue. The only thing I'm really impatient about is my next tax return for hair removal and legal name change budget, and whatever is in the microwave, lol.

HUGS!
  •  

JennyBear

Quote from: Dena on October 11, 2017, 09:49:43 PM
We have about 30,000 though many aren't very active. Any given day we tend to have between 500 and 700 member use the site however that number can go as high as 1,000. The job is far from boring as normally links are a very small portion of the work we do every day. It's possible to do 6-10 moderator reports a day, you need to scan massive amounts of posts and we get personal correspondence that we need to reply to.

TOS 1 is intended to give members time to learn what a proper link is. We don't want a new member posting a link to Ralph's raunchy images as it's never appropriate on this site. The links you posted have been reviewed and conform to the site guidelines so we didn't call a TOS 1 and left the links in place. Being a moderator requires using your personal judgement and walking the line between doing your job and not over moderating. Do we always get it right - no but that's why it can take months to learn the job.

Thanks for the input and info. That was basically my thought process when I posted them, (conforming to the forum intent and guidelines.) Still, I apologize for my mistake.

I start an LPN nursing program in the spring, so I may very well not have much time then, let alone enough to be a Moderator without feeling guilty. At the current moment I get to play stay at home mom and housewife with twins in Jr High, so I have a lot of time to fill on my hands. I still haven't adjusted to a "normal" sleep schedule so most of my free time is from 10pm to 5am EST, and I get bored pretty quick without something meaningful to do. Thanks again for taking the time to respond. Stay Safe.

HUGS!
  •  

Cindy

Just to clarify everything.

I choose my staff after looking at how they post (are they interesting, are they inclusive), in how they treat people and how they get along on with others. Past history is important, people who have broken rules or earned penalties have to show an understanding of why and to have responded to such situations in a positive manner.

I will then have a quiet talk with them to sound them out about a position and to see what commitment they can give me. I need to decide if I can work with them and if they will fit with my other staff members.

Being a GM on this Forum is hard, demanding and often confronting.
The Forum is International and I have interest in people who look at the point of view of people from around the world and are not centric to their own country.

Besides the obvious difficulty of dealing with a wide variety of interesting people you also have to deal fairly with all and not only people you like but also those you may dislike.
All GM's have to work regularly or they are dismissed, there are no free GM rides.
GM's have privileges and that brings responsibility, if those privileges are abused in anyway they can be dismissed, permanently, from the site.

There is also the issue with dealing with those posts that are extremely confronting. GM's need to understand themselves and are dealing well with their own issues, otherwise the job can become extremely distressing very quickly.

Finally and most importantly, GM's understand that there is only one right answer and that is mine; even when I am wrong  ::)

Cindy
Forum Admin.
  •  

V M

Quote from: JennyBear on October 11, 2017, 09:55:38 PM
    Great analogy, particularly for a Vet like me. Yeah you can pursue Selection for Army SF, but Delta tryouts were by invite only. No worries on the patience issue. The only thing I'm really impatient about is my next tax return for hair removal and legal name change budget, and whatever is in the microwave, lol.

HUGS!

Glad I could help

Civilian life is somewhat relaxing but it also kinda sucks

Hugs
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

JennyBear

Quote from: Cindy on October 11, 2017, 10:38:51 PM
Just to clarify everything.
Finally and most importantly, GM's understand that there is only one right answer and that is mine; even when I am wrong  ::)

Cindy
Forum Admin.

Like say for instance, if Susan disagrees? ;) LOL Totally with you on the rest. I'll keep everything in mind as the mindset works well for regular members, not just Moderators.

HUGS!
  •