Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

White Facial Hair

Started by Chimili Anne, October 16, 2017, 01:12:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chimili Anne

Last week I called a skin clinic because I wanted to have them remove my facial hair with a laser.  The clinic said they could not do it because my hair is white and that the lasers only work on hair that has color around the roots.  What else can I do, if anything?
  •  

Doreen

Quote from: Chimili Anne on October 16, 2017, 01:12:05 PM
Last week I called a skin clinic because I wanted to have them remove my facial hair with a laser.  The clinic said they could not do it because my hair is white and that the lasers only work on hair that has color around the roots.  What else can I do, if anything?

Electrolysis or tweezing works too.  Electrolysis for a more permanent option.   Laser generally works well with light skin dark hair, anything outside that has mixed to poor results generally.   Perhaps some day they'll come up with a better alternative, but none I have heard of yet.
  •  

RavenMoon

Half my facial hair is white. Laser will get the black stuff, and then electrolysis for the rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  •  

LizK

Quote from: Chimili Anne on October 16, 2017, 01:12:05 PM

Electrolysis is most likely your best bet...it is a long and painful(for some) procedure and should not be taken lightly. Correct preparation and having a good Technician are crucial to prevent scarring and excessive pain.

I would caution you about "plucking" or  "tweezing" the facial hairs because this can damage the hair follicle enough not to kill it but to make the removal via electrolysis almost impossible as the probe is unable to reach the base of the follicle when inserted. I do not know how prevalent that is but I was warned by both my Tech's about it.

Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

Bari Jo

I'm in the same boat.  I have a long history of tweeting and epilating my beard.  My electroligists have commented on it, but never that it can't be done.

Bari Jo
you know how far the universe extends outward? i think i go inside just as deep.

10/11/18 - out to the whole world.  100% friends and family support.
11/6/17 - came out to sister, best day of my life
9/5/17 - formal diagnosis and stopping DIY in favor if prescribed HRT
6/18/17 - decided to stop fighting the trans beast, back on DIY.
Too many ups and downs, DIY, purges of self inbetween dates.
Age 10 - suppression and denial began
Age 8 - knew I was different
  •  

Dani

Same here, white facial hair. Electrolysis is the only permanent treatment. Most of us need about 200 hours of electrolysis. There are places that do marathon electrolysis sessions, such as Electrology 3000 in Dallas, TX.
  •  

Chimili Anne

Thank you.  200 hours - ooh that sounds awful.  I was ready for laser, but not that. 
  •  

Tammy Jade

Quote from: Chimili Anne on October 16, 2017, 05:16:51 PM
Thank you.  200 hours - ooh that sounds awful.  I was ready for laser, but not that.

It really isn't that bad..

Well ok it hurts don't get me wrong, but with the right cocktail of painkillers and emla cream it's tolerable.

I got locals for my upper lip and chin but the rest I've been getting done with what I said above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
- Tamara Jade

** The Meaning of Life?? Is to find the Meaning of Life **
  •  

KathyLauren

My facial hair is mostly white.  I have a few dark ones left that I'm going to get lasered over the winter.  (The laser tech said I shouldn't do laser in the summer because of my melasma: light sensitivity due to estrogen.)  So it's an hour a week of electrolysis, which means three days a week of no shaving, most likely for two years.  Can you say "dysphoria"?

Yes, there are no easy solutions.  It is painful and expensive (though she's giving me a discount) and I have to go out with stubble on my face.  But it's what we have to do.  The saving grace with white hair is that the stubble is less visible.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

Lucy Ross

Epilating a beard, youch.  I tried that one night, on the sides it seemed to be only a bit worse than my chest.  But I didn't want to start over pain tolerance-wise.  Might have been shortly after that when I looked into electrolysis.

I'm just having the dark hairs zapped to begin with, I'm about 80% white hair.  Was overjoyed this afternoon when the 4% lidocaine cream numbed my upper lip like I hoped it would, it should be free up there after a few more half hour sessions.  EMLA cream is prescription only and 5%, BTW.  Whatever works! 
1982-1985 Teenage Crossdresser!
2015-2017 Middle Aged Crossdresser!  Or...?
April 2017 Electrolysis Time  :icon_yikes:
July 12th, 2017 Started HRT  :icon_chick:
  •  

rmaddy

Don't tweeze.  The hairs tend to come back thicker and more resilient.  Laser will not work, but electrolysis will.  The other thing that works just fine, and doesn't cause the hair follicle to thicken is shaving.  The false impression that shaving causes hair to thicken owes to the fact that most people start shaving when their hair is naturally starting to thicken post-puberty.
  •  

Jessica Lynne

As has been mentioned, don't tweeze or pluck. It damages the follicle and makes killing the hair for an elrctrologist substantially more difficult. Why would you endure the pain of tweezing if it just makes matters worse?
  •  

Paige33455

Oh, the dreaded white hair. I can definitely relate.  From your description electrolysis is likely your only option for permanent facial hair removal. I can tell you two things for certain: It will test your patience and ability to deal with a lengthy process; and it will test your resolve as it is uncomfortable at best.  I too believe your selection of an accomplished electrologist partner (yes, partner as you'll be working together very closely for a good amount of time) who has expertise working with Transgender clients is crucial to your success. Too aggressive runs the risk of scarring while too conservative lengthens treatment time.

I recommend you get as much done as possible before starting HRT if that's part of your plan. The level of discomfort increases as your skin changes due to hormones.

I have invested about 140 hours so far and still have a ways to go........fortunately I knew going in this would be lengthy process and set my expectations accordingly. For lots more info, check out hairtell.com - a forum on hair removal for professionals and those interested in all types of hair removal methods.

Approaching electrolysis as "a required part of my journey" has helped me maintain my commitment and motivation to see this through to my goal - a clear smooth face. Good luck with this part of your journey.
  •  

Laurie

I also am a blond with mostly light hair in my beard. Because of that I have only been having electrolysis. I have an hour a week  3 weeks a month and just had a session today. I have had Christina concentrating  on my mustache as I really want it gone. Even with all the pain relieving efforts it hurts and it brought tears to my eyes again today. But it needs to be done.  An hour on your mustache is a long time to endure the pain.  It also helps to have a electrologist you like. Christina has become a friend. She feels my pain but knows it is what I need to have done.

I hope yours is a better experience. Remember everybody is different and it may not be that bad for you.

Hugs,
   Laurie
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis