News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Learning self defense

Started by Selene, October 29, 2017, 05:50:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Selene

Hello :)

Having a history of being assaulted, some instances being very violent -that history has followed me like an unwanted Shadow. The more I progress with my needs as a trans woman, the more shadows I see lurking around me.

I want to change that into something positive. To learn a skill, create a new hobby in the process.

My post here is more of a question to anyone who has learned, or is still learning self defence in any style/techniques.

I found a dojo within 120 miles (round trip) of me that is lgbt inclusive. Well worth the extra miles for me. I visited once there about two years ago. Its called Three Tigers located in Spokane, Washington.

I don't like getting thumped on, and I'm pretty sure there must be some amount of contact made while learning skills...

I was wonder if anyone has some experience, and what to expect? This dojo practices traditional karate from what I know, and observed. I don't want to have black eyes, and get discouraged about learning s new skill/hobby.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you,

Dana :)
  •  

Deborah

There is no avoiding some amount of pain when learning any fighting technique, or any other sport for that matter.  But it's not going to cause you any permanent damage.  It's part of the learning process and also teaches you how to mentally handle and ignore the pain while continuing the task at hand.  So you should do this and it will be fun.

I would also offer that in addition to learning the techniques you should also take steps to improve your fitness including both aerobic conditioning and strength.  Fighting techniques will only get you so far unless you have the conditioning and strength to use them effectively.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

Selene

Thank you!

I think like most sports, you retain skill, and build upon it with muscle memory associated with certain amounts of body contact. That kind of physical feedback. My thing is that I'm squeamish about sparring (hope that spelling is right).

One of things I learned from that first experience years ago was that the instructor related that some people are not comfortable fighting in the mode that one does when learning -not real fighting, but sparring. Throwing gauged blows and the like.

I think that is one of the first skill learned in the whole process.

Thank you for the advice!

Dana :)
  •  

Deborah

When I was in college one of our required physical training courses the first year was boxing.  The old grizzled instructor told us the first day that the purpose wasn't to turn us into skilled boxers but rather to learn to get punched in the face without wilting in fear and pain.  We had to box three matches at the end and to pass the course you didn't have to win, but you did have to fight without visible cowardice.

It wasn't especially pleasant as I did become skilled at beating my opponents' gloves with my nose, but it did work as he said it would and I learned that even that kind of pain was not the end of the world and that fear could be compartmentalized and put away.

That, along with decent fitness and some skill translates into a self confidence that radiates outward with the message that you are not a victim.   It seems to work that way for me anyway and I've never been assaulted or threatened since the last time when I was 13 years old.

So I guess the point of this is that squeamishness about sparring is normal for any thinking person but that you can learn to overcome it.  And in learning to overcome it you build an aura that greatly reduces the chance you'll ever have to use it for real.

Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

elkie-t

I had similar feelings and signed up for Krav Maga and Thai Boxing. I think, it's well worth it and no reasonable school would make you to spar before you are ready.

I don't think 100 miles is feasible, you'd want to come for training often, at least 3 times a week (I actually try to come 5 days a week and would love to come every day, but one needs to give body some rest).

I also think that any decent dojo or school would be reasonably accepting and accommodating a customer, even if they don't advertise as LGBT-friendly. I would just come and talk to the instructor or business owner, address my transition upfront and ask if they would have any issues with it (discuss locker accommodations - they might have problems in that regard, so depending on how important it is to you - either push for it, or dress home or use male locker behind a curtain for some time)... Other than that - there should be no issues or bad vibes. Ask for a trial membership for a month or two, and see if you like it or not.

•  

Paige33455

Firstly, it is so regrettable that your past experiences have made it necessary to learn how to protect yourself. That said I'll try to offer some insight into a few options you have based on my own personal experience -I.e., a 4th degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do with 20+ years experience along with Hapkido/Jujitsu. 

For pure self defense, karate in its many forms (including Japanese, Korean, Chinese, etc) generally takes years of practice to become proficient enough to adequately defend oneself.  There is a colored belt ranking system that reflects one's level of proficiency from "white belt" for beginners to multiple levels (degrees) that are earned within the rank of "black belt".  Many if not most serious practitioners agree that the "real learning" begins once he or she reaches black belt. For benchmarking purposes one can expect to devote 6 hours per week (or more) for two to three years to earn a 1st degree black belt. Then add another 1-2 years for each additional black belt level. Isn't it pretty easy to see why the dropout rate is 95%+?  Less than 2% who start the journey make it to black belt let alone go on to higher levels. 

ASK YOURSELF THIS QUESTION: How likely are you to drive 120 miles r/t 3 times per week for a couple of years?  If you're looking for a sport/hobby, "dabbling" in martial arts of any type is not likely to provide the skills you seek.

I'd be remiss if I didn't emphasize the multitude of benefits besides fighting and self defense skills acquired through a dedicated approach to martial arts not the least of which include greater self confidence and higher self esteem.

If you're looking for a sport/hobby, martial arts is a great choice but anything short of the commitment described previously will not get you to your stated goal.

I'd recommend looking for a pure "street defense" class in your area often offered by law enforcement, YMCA/YWCA, etc.  Or consider approaching a mixed martial arts instructor for private lessons that focus on practical self defense. If there are none why not organize a class/learning group yourself?

Someone else mentioned Krav Maga which would be excellent for your purposes as would Aikido. But decide if you want to learn the art and pursue a sport based hobby or get right to the heart of the matter: how to handle threatening situations on the street competently and confidently. If the latter, find a qualified instructor and arrange private lessons.

As for your desire to avoiding getting hit, the right kind of instruction will help you learn how to deal with that possibility.  You will have to learn how to stand up for yourself in the face of physical harm and a well structured program will teach you strategies to do that.
  •  

Julia1996

Why not just take a woman's self defense course? My dad is a cop and he teaches a women's self defense class one weekend every month. Maybe try contacting your police department and see if they offer it. My dad taught me basic self defense and he didn't hurt me at all. He said the idea isn't to kick a guy's ass it's to disable him long enough to get away.  He also gave me pepper spray and a stun gun. If they are legal where you live you might consider one or both.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Angela Drakken

Quote from: Julia1996 on October 29, 2017, 10:47:05 AM
Why not just take a woman's self defense course? My dad is a cop and he teaches a women's self defense class one weekend every month. Maybe try contacting your police department and see if they offer it. My dad taught me basic self defense and he didn't hurt me at all. He said the idea isn't to kick a guy's ass it's to disable him long enough to get away.  He also gave me pepper spray and a stun gun. If they are legal where you live you might consider one or both.
Agree^ womens self defense was taught to us at the highschool level through gym class believe it or not.

I think basic self defense is vital to anyone and not just young women.

The local police department is a good starting point also local womens shelters may also have contact info for the same thing.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

•  

amandam

I agree with a women's self-defense course. Also, try the local community college. Sometimes they have a self-defense class. You can also find a school closer to home. Make sure they are heavy on the self-defense and aren't one of those sport-oriented schools that emphasis their style's version of sport sparring.
Out of the closet to family 4-2019
  •  

elkie-t

Imho, a women's defense class's at a community college, or local police workshop (once a month or even once a week) is worthless. You get what you pay for, there is no way around.

To be capable to disable an opponent (or two? - bullies are never alone), much stronger physically and conditioned to fighting and taking a hit without some serious training, punching a bag for hours, working these scenarios... Just don't live in a dreamland, get a pepper spray and keep it on a car key chain. While panic is the worst reaction, overconfidence might get you killed. It's safer to be a coward and practice running. Much safer, than 'building a confidence' in once a month workshop
  •  

big kim

Learn self defence & fear no one. I never did any official classes but after getting sick of being a punchbag for school bullies til I was 13 a friend's brother who was a soldier taught me the basics, ( how to stand so you make less of a target, how to put your weight behind a punch, how to hit the points on the central line down a person, don't be afraid of fighting dirty, fingers in eyes, up nose , biting, scratching, grip the windpipe while digging your nails in & shaking, kick an opponent or stamp on when down etc). I also read the art & science of boxing which gave many useful tips as well as being a great read.
The best bit of self defence is not to be there, don't put yourself in risky areas or situations if possible
  •  

Selene

Thank you for all the comments, and suggestions. Those are all options that will help point me in the right direction. I've always had this fear when playing contact sports that I would inadvertantly hurt someone. My luck is bad that way, I remember accidentally giving other kids in school bloody noses from any type ball that can be hit, thrown, launched, ect. When I was very young, I remember our class was being taught basic self defense, and I must have gotten carried away, and made some poor kid cry. Hurts to think about silly as it was at the time. All of that stuff is just my imagination, realize that.

Most likely I can lean someplace closer where the logistics are more suitable, doing so in "boy mode." Living in north Idaho, the last thing you want to do is tell anyone you are transgender. Believe me. Especially the police. I was pulled over going to a support meeting by a state trooper when I was dressed up in fem. He made me sit on the guard rail, and started asking me why I was dressed all in women's clothing. He had me lean forward on the trunk of my car, while he emptied my pockets, pulled off my wig, tossed my wig, pulled out my breast forms, piling them on the trunk of my car like a pile of paraphernalia. Pulled up my panties under my jeans, have them a couple of tugs.

I later told the officer why I was dressed that way, that I was transgender. He said he never heard of such a thing, and was going to let me off with a warning, and to not do it again in public view.

North Idaho is a different animal. Anyhow. I apologize for the horrible story. But it's true.
  •  

Angela Drakken

Quote from: Dana1979 on October 30, 2017, 08:43:30 AM
Thank you for all the comments, and suggestions. Those are all options that will help point me in the right direction. I've always had this fear when playing contact sports that I would inadvertantly hurt someone. My luck is bad that way, I remember accidentally giving other kids in school bloody noses from any type ball that can be hit, thrown, launched, ect. When I was very young, I remember our class was being taught basic self defense, and I must have gotten carried away, and made some poor kid cry. Hurts to think about silly as it was at the time. All of that stuff is just my imagination, realize that.

Most likely I can lean someplace closer where the logistics are more suitable, doing so in "boy mode." Living in north Idaho, the last thing you want to do is tell anyone you are transgender. Believe me. Especially the police. I was pulled over going to a support meeting by a state trooper when I was dressed up in fem. He made me sit on the guard rail, and started asking me why I was dressed all in women's clothing. He had me lean forward on the trunk of my car, while he emptied my pockets, pulled off my wig, tossed my wig, pulled out my breast forms, piling them on the trunk of my car like a pile of paraphernalia. Pulled up my panties under my jeans, have them a couple of tugs.

I later told the officer why I was dressed that way, that I was transgender. He said he never heard of such a thing, and was going to let me off with a warning, and to not do it again in public view.

North Idaho is a different animal. Anyhow. I apologize for the horrible story. But it's true.

Yeap. I'd be taking down badge numbers, that's wrong on so many levels. I'd be spending the night in jail if some pig pulled on my undies, because I'd headbutt him in the nose. (Sick bugger would prob think I was leaning in for a kiss.)
  •  

elkie-t

I'd think if you aren't on HRT yet, going in boy mode is just fine. However, if you are on hormones, you need to be prepared to live as a transfemale. You'd be better off discussing your transition upfront with the gym owner instructor, rather than signing up for a year membership, making new friends as a guy and then trying to explain your boobs and need for chest protection...

Maybe I'm wrong here, but generally speaking, no matter what attitude in Northern Idaho towards transpeople - if you are on hormones, you either prepare yourself to live full time as a transwoman, or make serious plans to move elsewhere.

•  

Selene

Thank you for the input.

I think maybe I might speak for a lot of people beginning HRT, just because I'm on hormones doesn't mean I must live full time, or move. Personally, I stay in Idaho as my elderly mother's caregiver. Full time would be impossible. Moving both of us is out of of means to do so.

I understand what I think you mean though. You get to that point where you make a commitment to being where you want to be, being true to your identity. I can still do that because I'll be comfortable in my own skin. Transitioning for me means being true to myself, self acceptance.
  •  

Zumbagirl

Carry a handgun and some pepper spray. Get some training and practice all the time. It's what I do. I make no bones that any man will be able to beat me unconscious and I would be defenseless. A 357 magnum stops any bad guy and he doesn't have to be in your face.

•  

elkie-t

Oh Zumba, I'm all pro-gun, etc. But there are tons of places where you cannot legally carry, like bars for instance. A gun is a nice option for the times you have it on you, but it's not a guarantee you won't be assaulted.

Most guys are crazy about their guns, most girls can see gun limitations, even if they keep one in their handbag...
  •  

Julia1996

Quote from: Zumbagirl on October 30, 2017, 12:47:34 PM
Carry a handgun and some pepper spray. Get some training and practice all the time. It's what I do. I make no bones that any man will be able to beat me unconscious and I would be defenseless. A 357 magnum stops any bad guy and he doesn't have to be in your face.

I think carrying a gun is good for self defense as long as you know how to use it. Unfortunately that's not an option for me right now. When I suggested it my dad told me absolutely NO. He said children shouldn't have guns. I'm almost 20.  How old do I need to be before he stops thinking of me as a child?  Anyway, he smugly informed me that you have to be 21 to carry a handgun in Colorado.  21,21,21! What is so damn magical about the age 21?!!
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

jill610

I have thought about this one a bunch as my own strength and stature has diminished over the last few years. I think pepper spray, situational awareness and being trained in self defense are all great things to have. The statistics on guns being used against the owner sway me personally away from carrying, even though concealed carry with a permit is allowed in my state.

•  

elkie-t

Quote from: Julia1996 on October 31, 2017, 06:23:32 AM
Anyway, he smugly informed me that you have to be 21 to carry a handgun in Colorado.  21,21,21! What is so damn magical about the age 21?!!
If I am correct, it's a federal law prohibiting handgun possession by anyone under 21. So - your dad is right as usual - you have to wait a year and some more before you can get it.

There's nothing magical about 21. Other countries have other age of adulthood and the world ain't turning to hell there. But then again, young people. Turning age of adulthood suddenly discover they can legally go to a bar, to drink, they still want to experience their 'rocking 20s', hang with their school buddies, etc. I'm not saying that anyone should be prohibited from firearm ownership or concealed license before 21, and not say 18. I don't think a person should be prohibited from alcohol before 21 either (besides - if a teenager wants it, he'll find it). But that's current state of law for better or worse.
  •