Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Faith's Progress

Started by Faith, November 10, 2017, 06:50:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrissyRyan

Do micronized progesterone creams found over the counter do anything positive for trans-women?  Is this something to suggest to physicians to consider in mtf HRT plans?

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

Laurie

Most doctors and endocrinologist will tell you there is no reason to take it. However there is anecdotal testimony that dispute this. I myself think that it has helped fill me out a bit more. So I intend to keep taking it. My doc at the VA did not recommend it. I told him I intended to try it anyway before I asked him and that I would prefer he was on board with it. I agreed to wait until he asked an endo about it and almost 2 months later he came back and still did not recommend it because he said the endo told him it does nothing for breast growth and it could cause a small increase in cancer risk. I talked to my oncologist about it and she agreed with me that it would be a negligible chance of increased risk. I have been taking it for about a year now I think. I do have a prescription for it from Kaiser.

Hugs,
  Laurie
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

ChrissyRyan

Quote from: Laurie on January 21, 2019, 05:38:16 PM
  Most doctors and endocrinologist will tell you there is no reason to take it. However there is anecdotal testimony that dispute this. I myself think that it has helped fill me out a bit more. So I intend to keep taking it. My doc at the VA did not recommend it. I told him I intended to try it anyway before I asked him and that I would prefer he was on board with it. I agreed to wait until he asked an endo about it and almost 2 months later he came back and still did not recommend it because he said the endo told him it does nothing for breast growth and it could cause a small increase in cancer risk. I talked to my oncologist about it and she agreed with me that it would be a negligible chance of increased risk. I have been taking it for about a year now I think. I do have a prescription for it from Kaiser.

Hugs,
  Laurie

Thanks Laurie.  Is your progesterone a pill or transdermal?

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

Laurie

I take a gelcap (pill), it can be taken orally, vaginally (I wish) or anally. I have only tried orally.
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

Linde

Because of the fact that I seem to sit in the middle of a nest of gate keepers, my question is, is the OTC version of the micronized stuff any good?  It can be had on Amazon, but because the stuff is no cheap, I don't want to pay lots of money for repackaged hand cream!
02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•  

TonyaW

Quote from: Faith on January 21, 2019, 03:31:27 PM
I didn't know it was a contest. I was cold, I wore a new jacket. I liked my jacket and wanted to show it off so I posted a photo.

I made it to PP today for my injection training. Didn't feel a thing. Didn't hurt at all ... except my finger where I managed to stab it :-\

I talked to them about my progesterone and subsequent mood swings. Yep, normal. I knew that. I was told that progesterone was considered optional so I could stop or find a schedule that worked to ease them ...... any suggestions?
Not questioning your fashion sense Faith, I said the jacket was cute. Just having a bit of fun at what southerners call cold.

If it were any colder here yesterday I could have saved some money on GCS because they would have frozen off if I had spent some time outside.

On the progesterone question, are you taking the medroxyprogesterone (mpa) or the micronized?  I had issues with the mpa when I tried that last year. Took it for 2 months straight then cycle 10 days per month for 3 more then quit.  Started the micronized in early December so about 6 weeks now with no problems. 

First suggestion is to switch to the micronized if you're not currently taking that. If you want to try a cycle, here's my suggestion as a pharmacist.

If you can remember when to stop and start, the cycle idea was to mimic a  28 day menstrual cycle with 21 days off then 7 days on.  That's kind of hard to keep track of so usually would cycle by taking it the first 10 days of each calendar month

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
  •  

Faith

when you have salty damp air, windy, and the temperature drops 20 deg overnight into the next day, it's cold. Your internal body regulator has no time to acclimate. I've been in much colder dry northern air in short-sleeves, no shirt, and also barefoot. Like I said, not a contest. I was cold. I also know what too cold is, where bits can freeze off no matter what you think it feels like. Been there, left that. I prefer warm(ish) that feels cold.

Pretty sure I'm on micronized, I'll have to recheck the bottle tonight. I've been constant moody since I started taking it. It's time to start trying a cycle. My clinician is OK with it. She said optional, try what I want or stop. It's up to me.

Since my current 'cycle' is the first week of the month, I'm coming up on a good time to start.

Speaking of moods. Mine fell. Sometimes things happen that remind you that no matter how supporting your spouse is, things are bad and they're having it rough. I don't feel good about it. The only fix that I know is to keep trying to become a better me.
I left the door open, only a few came through. such is my life.

•  

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: Faith on January 22, 2019, 11:02:17 AM
when you have salty damp air, windy, and the temperature drops 20 deg overnight into the next day, it's cold. Your internal body regulator has no time to acclimate. I've been in much colder dry northern air in short-sleeves, no shirt, and also barefoot. Like I said, not a contest. I was cold. I also know what too cold is, where bits can freeze off no matter what you think it feels like. Been there, left that. I prefer warm(ish) that feels cold.

Pretty sure I'm on micronized, I'll have to recheck the bottle tonight. I've been constant moody since I started taking it. It's time to start trying a cycle. My clinician is OK with it. She said optional, try what I want or stop. It's up to me.

Since my current 'cycle' is the first week of the month, I'm coming up on a good time to start.

Speaking of moods. Mine fell. Sometimes things happen that remind you that no matter how supporting your spouse is, things are bad and they're having it rough. I don't feel good about it. The only fix that I know is to keep trying to become a better me.[/size]
@Faith
Dear Faith:
Regarding weather changes, humidity, wind, etc....   yes indeed, the salty damp air, windy, and a large temperature drop will certainly raise goosebumps when going outside.... although up here when it is -30 def F, I don't care if it is dry and not windy it still is darn cold...  of course at those temps if the wind kicks up it can chill a person to the bone unless they are bundled up very well covering all exposed flesh with layers and layers of warm and appropriate clothing.

Regarding mood swings... I can have them myself, regardless of my hormone regimen and body cycle.  ...   and yes, as you mentioned, WE ALL NEED TO KEEP TRYING TO BE BETTER PEOPLE, especially to our loved one and friends.

Thanks for sharing and posting on your thread with your Forums friends, readers and followers.
Hugs... more hugs, and well wishes,
Danielle
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures

Started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old & Single
Email: northernstargirl@susans.org
  •  

Linde

Quote from: Alaskan Danielle on January 22, 2019, 11:44:31 AM
although up here when it is -30 def F, I don't care if it is dry and not windy it still is darn cold...  of course at those temps if the wind kicks up it can chill a person to the bone unless they are bundled up very well covering all exposed flesh with layers and layers of warm and appropriate clothing.
And we consider it to be very cold, when the temperature drops below 65º F!  This is an indicator to get the down coats out! 
We have the snowbirds living with us currently.  One can identify them very easy.  On a cold winter day as today, with temps barely hitting the low 70's, the locals were wearing warm clothings, while the snowbirds were walking around in shorts, t-shirts and Flip Flops!

I have a question about progesterone.  I got one of those creams from Amazon, the micronized stuff.  Where would I apply this to help my breasts to fill out a little better.  It says on the can to put it for 3 weeks twice a day on the lower abdomen, would another area of the body be more favorable for breast growth?

•  

Faith

insurance vent

• Up until now we've had reasonable coverage through my wife's work - with a gender related exclusion clause. It can be continued, affordably utilizing Cobra to do so. Again, gender issues expressly excluded.
  • We are trying to get our own coverage .. affordable with subsidy .. that covers gender related services.
  • I don't qualify for the subsidy. I can get low premium, expensive out-of-pocket group via my work which makes me ineligible.
  • Without the subsidy we cannot afford our own (subsidy for us would have been about $1300/mo)

My work is currently negotiating a 2019 insurance plan. I sent the head man an email outlining my issues and asking for a consideration in this matter.  I don't expect any good result, I had to try.

No replies necessary, I'm just venting and clearing my head.

•  

Faith

After an insurance fiasco yesterday I was pretty bummed. Couple that with getting back on the main drag during rush our and with road construction ... arrrgggg!!

I told Lori I couldn't handle it so we stopped at the mall. Oh yeah, spent money. I got new shoes, Lori got new shoes, we ate dinner (not too bad), and ... to top it off ... I decided to get my hair cut. Whew, so much better.

Much improved mood after that 3 hr break. The drive home was much better as well, the roads were basically empty. To top it off ... my girlie feeling never waned. I still felt like myself the whole time.

ps
Insurance sucks

•  

Katie Ellen

Hi Faith,

I agree, insurance sucks. At least until you get on Medicare. I am now and it covers almost everything for me.

My wife however, has to purchase through the Healthcare marketplace and it really sucks. Especially if you want to keep seeing your regular doctors, which she does due to her breast cancer treatments. Fortunately, she was on my Cobra last year when diagnosed and it covered all but $2,000. If it happened now we'd be screwed. And I fear every day that we're going to need to pay for expensive tests to keep her healthy.

It's a shame that this country can't take care of it's own people first! At least that's my opinion!

I hope things work out for you.

Take care!
Katie Ellen
  •  

Linde

Quote from: TonyaW on January 22, 2019, 08:14:46 AM

First suggestion is to switch to the micronized if you're not currently taking that. If you want to try a cycle, here's my suggestion as a pharmacist.

If you can remember when to stop and start, the cycle idea was to mimic a  28 day menstrual cycle with 21 days off then 7 days on.  That's kind of hard to keep track of so usually would cycle by taking it the first 10 days of each calendar month

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Can you make any recommendation on the best place to apply the OTC micronized progesterone cream?
The packaging says either on the inside of the wrist or the lower abdomen.  They recommend to apply it for 3 weeks, stop for a week and apply it again for 3 weeks.

But I read on the net that some people put it on the top of their boobs.
What do you feel the best location is for the stuff?

•  

JanePlain

Quote from: Faith on January 23, 2019, 12:19:39 PM
After an insurance fiasco yesterday I was pretty bummed. Couple that with getting back on the main drag during rush our and with road construction ... arrrgggg!!

I told Lori I couldn't handle it so we stopped at the mall. Oh yeah, spent money. I got new shoes, Lori got new shoes, we ate dinner (not too bad), and ... to top it off ... I decided to get my hair cut. Whew, so much better.

Much improved mood after that 3 hr break. The drive home was much better as well, the roads were basically empty. To top it off ... my girlie feeling never waned. I still felt like myself the whole time.

ps
Insurance sucks

I totally feel for you.  The insurance world has to be the foulest group of people making a fortune doing as little as possible.   Keep up the good fight!
  •  

Faith

•  

steph2.0

[emoji3590] WOW! [emoji3590]

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

KathyLauren

I love that pic, Faith!
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

Faith

Thank you both. I didn't have anything to say, so I didn't. It is a today photo. Can you tell it's been cut?  ;D

•  

SarahWithin

Quote from: Faith on January 24, 2019, 06:50:53 AM

Oh my - you are gorgeous! Is that a top or a dress? So pretty!

Hugs,
Sarah From Chitown
[emoji257]
  •  

Faith

Quote from: SarahWithin on January 24, 2019, 08:00:49 AM
Oh my - you are gorgeous! Is that a top or a dress? So pretty!

Hugs,
Sarah From Chitown
[emoji257]

Thank you Sarah :icon_redface: and welcome to Susan's and also my corner of it. Knowing Danielle, she'll be a be along soon to read you the riot act inform you about Susan's with an official greeting.

It's a top. I have it matched up with a long, I think navy blue, comfy skirt

•