Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

What are you having for dinner? 2.0

Started by big kim, November 23, 2017, 03:19:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roll

Quote from: Kendra on January 11, 2018, 08:11:24 AM
It's not because I like animals.  I am sort of vegan because I hate plants.

I often prefer to eat cuisine based around my hatred of the ingredients. That is why I am particularly fond of broccoli dishes.

Broccoli murdered my parents.
~ Ellie
■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■
I ALWAYS WELCOME PMs!
(I made the s lowercase so it didn't look as much like PMS... ;D)

An Open Letter to anyone suffering from anxiety, particularly those afraid to make your first post or continue posting!

8/30/17 - First Therapy! The road begins in earnest.
10/20/17 - First coming out (to my father)!
12/16/17 - BEGAN HRT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
5/21/18 - FIRST DAY OUT AS ME!!!!!!!!!
6/08/18 - 2,250 Hair Grafts
6/23/18 - FIRST PRIDE!
8/06/18 - 100%, completely out!
9/08/18 - I'M IN LOVE!!!!
2/27/19 - Name Change!

•  

Cassi

Quote from: Roll on January 10, 2018, 11:58:53 AM
Chupacabra, the infamous goat eater? I bet that is some tender meat.

Depends on how long you cook it.  Another tasty morsel is the JackAlope of Arizona. Tastes like CHICKEN
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

p

Ellie, well done on your improvised meal! I find that mine are some of the most enjoyable just because of the satisfaction of having made something wonderful with the ingredients on hand. Sounds like the dish was delish!
Patti

Something is off - 2016-17
Out to husband - 2/14/17
Full-time - 3/9/17
HRT - 6/14/17
  •  

V M

Beef Stroganoff with some toast

The package says that it serves two, two what? Children? Gerbils? Maybe it should read...
"Serves two children or One adult, Gnu and/or Wildebeest"?

Oh well, it tastes good and there are no leftovers to deal with  ;D
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

Roll

Serving sizes are a scam perpetuated by the food illuminati. The foominati.
~ Ellie
I ALWAYS WELCOME PMs!

An Open Letter to anyone suffering from anxiety, particularly those afraid to make your first post or continue posting!

6/23/18 - FIRST PRIDE!
2/27/19 - Name Change!

•  

V M

The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

Julia1996

Quote from: Roll on January 11, 2018, 10:13:14 AM
I often prefer to eat cuisine based around my hatred of the ingredients. That is why I am particularly fond of broccoli dishes.

Broccoli murdered my parents.

Except for me my family are broccoli haters. When I made broccoli with dinner no one touched it but me. But I make a broccoli soup they absolutely love. The first time I made it Tyler made a face and said he didn't want any. I actually managed to guilt him into trying it. Once he tried it he loved it and my dad got curious and he tried it and loved it. Here's the recipe.

1 head of broccoli cut into bite size pieces. You can include the stems in the soup if you want but I don't because they are kind of hard even after cooking.

1 large onion diced.
2 carrots sliced thin.
1 clove garlic diced.
4 tbs of butter.
4 tbs of flour.
1/2 tsp smoked paprika.
1/2 tsp mustard powder.
1/8 tsp of cayenne pepper.
Salt to taste.
Pepper to taste.
2 cups of chicken stock.
2 cups half n half or cream. I use one cup of each.
1 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese.

I blanch the broccoli florets for 3-4 minutes to make sure it's not hard after it cooks in the soup.
Saute the onion and garlic in butter until the onions get soft.
In a soup pot cook the butter and flour until the flower is cooked then whisk in the chicken stock. Whisk in the half n half and simmer for 15 minutes until it thickens. Whisk it every few minutes so a skin doesn't form. (EWWW). Add the vegetables and spices and simmer for 25-30 minutes. Stir in grated cheese a little at a time. Once its melted into the soup serve it. I use block cheese and grate it myself. It seems to melt better than pure shredded cheese. And try not to use super cheap cheese or it won't taste as good.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

MollyPants

That's sounds really tasty.

We quite often serve broccoli as a side with a dressing:
Up to one chilli finely sliced (depending on how brave you feel!)
2cm grated ginger
2 grated cloves of garlic
3-4tbsp olive oil
1tbsp soya sauce
1tbsp tasted sesame oil
Dash of lemon juice to taste

Tonight we're having chicken fajitas.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

•  

Julia1996

Quote from: MollyPants on January 12, 2018, 08:26:09 AM
That's sounds really tasty.

We quite often serve broccoli as a side with a dressing:
Up to one chilli finely sliced (depending on how brave you feel!)
2cm grated ginger
2 grated cloves of garlic
3-4tbsp olive oil
1tbsp soya sauce
1tbsp tasted sesame oil
Dash of lemon juice to taste

Tonight we're having chicken fajitas.

That dressing sounds good. I will make that for myself. My boyfriend might like it too. My dad and brother wouldn't eat it. The only way they will touch broccoli is in soup or as a side drowned in cheese sauce.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Roll

Simple, but properly steamed broccoli seasoned only with the perfect amount of kosher salt is heaven for me. I always weird people out with that. But then when I make it for them and show them that 99% of broccoli they've ever had was simply cooked plain wrong, they change their tune. Not sure why even high end restaurants can't get it right (though often it is that they fail to remove it from heat properly and let it keep cooking into mush while finishing plating, or they simply made up a huge batch they are staggering over time to begin with which just... really, really, doesn't work).
~ Ellie
I ALWAYS WELCOME PMs!

6/23/18 - FIRST PRIDE!
2/27/19 - Name Change!

•  

MollyPants

Quote from: Julia1996 on January 12, 2018, 08:36:20 AM
That dressing sounds good. I will make that for myself. My boyfriend might like it too. My dad and brother wouldn't eat it. The only way they will touch broccoli is in soup or as a side drowned in cheese sauce.
That's a shame it's so nice! We managed to convert my partner's brother and dad with it. Sometimes they'll eat broccoli without is all now! Haha

•  

Julia1996

Quote from: Roll on January 12, 2018, 08:37:13 AM
Simple, but properly steamed broccoli seasoned only with the perfect amount of kosher salt is heaven for me. I always weird people out with that. But then when I make it for them and show them that 99% of broccoli they've ever had was simply cooked plain wrong, they change their tune. Not sure why even high end restaurants can't get it right (though often it is that they fail to remove it from heat properly and let it keep cooking into mush while finishing plating, or they simply made up a huge batch they are staggering over time to begin with which just... really, really, doesn't work).

Yeah, my brother gets skeezed out watching me eat raw broccoli dipped in hummus.  It's good!
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

p

My favorite broccoli recipe is oven-roasted broccoli. You can add cauliflower as well, but I often do a separate pan for it because broccoli and cauliflower don't cook at the same rate. The key to this recipe is to have the broccoli and cauliflower dry so that they roast instead of steaming. The water really sticks in the florets, so you have to wash them ahead of time, pat them dry with paper towels and then put them back in the fridge to completely dry. If you want to use the broccoli stems, just peel the green outer skin off of it first (broccoli stems are actually quite succulent once you get that tough outer skin off of them, you have to try it!). Toss the florets and stems with olive oil, salt and pepper, and roast at 450 for ~20 minutes. The broccoli florets should be looking crispy and browned. I put them floret side down for the first 10-15 minutes to ensure crispiness.  While the broccoli roasts, make the dressing with the juice of 1 lemon, 1 or more cloves of thinly sliced or grated garlic (I use a microplane), shredded parmesan cheese and the zest from the lemon to taste (I do the whole thing, but I am obsessed with lemon). Once the broccoli is roasted, toss the broccoli with the dressing and return it to the oven for ~5 mins or so (keep an eye on it) to release the flavors from the dressing and melt the cheese. Everything in the "recipe" is basically to taste and you can omit everything except the broccoli and the oil. I have put in red pepper flakes for a spicy version, cumin and chili powder for a southwest version, garam masala for an Indian version, the sky is the limit.
Patti

Something is off - 2016-17
Out to husband - 2/14/17
Full-time - 3/9/17
HRT - 6/14/17
  •  

Roll

While steamed is my go to for Broccoli, here are some other quick recipes!

The Greatest Broccoli Casserole Of All Time - This is the one that even avowed carnivores love
Use frozen broccoli for this like a lot of casseroles. Mix 1 can Cream of Chicken or mushroom soup and sour cream(one of the medium sized tubs, forget oz size), along with a full 2/3rds a can of french fried onions and a bag of shredded swiss cheese. Cube a block of cheddar cheese into about what you would see on cheese platters. Optionally chop up some pancetta or good center cut bacon, get it a bit crispy in a pan, and add it as well, but I generally don't bother. Coat the cheddar and broccoli (and meat) in the mixture and spread out in the bottom of casserole dish. Top with any cheese blend you'd like, I think my favorite is a gouda, cheddar, swiss mix, then the rest of the french fried onions. And if you really want to make it amazing, MORE FRENCH FRIED ONIONS. I always use about a can and a half total. Do the usual bake at 325 until cheese is bubbly. (If you are worried about the onions burning, make sure they are nestled well in the cheese or just wait until the last 20 minutes to add them on top.) It's super unhealthy, but delcious. The key to this version is the cubed cheddar pieces. What happens is while cooking, the cubes dont blend or just melt in, they sort of create explosions of flavor between the broccoli.

A far healthier recipe... just toss in a pain with a tbsp of water to steam it lightly, then add just a touch of soy and lemon(seriously, not too much soy, broccoli just absorbs every drop and becomes a salty mess) and stir fry a moment, along with toasted sesame to really bring it together. Can easily be incorporated into larger vegetable mixes, just make sure you don't overcook the broc since it will cook at a lot different pace than zuch and mushrooms and what not.

Oh! Also, it is amazing with red curry. I love Choo Chee Salmon and will always serve it with broc.
~ Ellie
I ALWAYS WELCOME PMs!

6/23/18 - FIRST PRIDE!
2/27/19 - Name Change!

•  

V M

Earlier I made Fish N' Chips and now I'm snackin' some

- V M
  •  

Cindy

Quote from: V M on January 13, 2018, 02:55:24 AM
Earlier I made Fish N' Chips and now I'm snackin' some

But what sort of fish? I had Butterfish and Chips for lunch.
  •  

V M

QuoteAll Simply Seafood Alaska Pollock come from fisheries that are certified sustainable. A member of the cod family, Alaska pollock are caught in the cold, remote waters of the Bering Sea. Alaska pollock are the most widely consumed white fish in the world.

- V M
  •  

Julia1996

Last night I made beef Bourguignon. It's time consuming but it's especially good when it's cold out.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Cassi

This may sound crazy but I have developed a fondness for toasted bread sandwich with salad fixings, cheese, mayo and salt and garlic/pepper.
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

Julia1996

Quote from: Cali on January 13, 2018, 02:58:37 PM
This may sound crazy but I have developed a fondness for toasted bread sandwich with salad fixings, cheese, mayo and salt and garlic/pepper.

That doesn't sound weird. I eat raw onion sandwiches a lot of times. I get cravings for raw onions.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •