Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

What are you having for dinner? 2.0

Started by big kim, November 23, 2017, 03:19:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoryL

I like roasting Brussels sprouts in the oven. Just place fresh sprouts on a shallow sided pan (optionally, line pan with parchment paper first for easy cleanup) drizzle on some olive oil & roast  If the sprouts are large, halve them first. Stir them around the pan once or twice while they're roasting; they're done when they just start to blacken.  Remove from oven, salt & season to taste & enjoy!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

"I will not have my life narrowed down. I will not bow down to somebody else's whim or to someone else's ignorance" - bell hooks

"The best mind-altering drug is the truth." - Lily Tomlin

•  

Cassi

Quote from: Amy Marie on February 14, 2018, 10:17:24 PM
I like roasting Brussels sprouts in the oven. Just place fresh sprouts on a shallow sided pan (optionally, line pan with parchment paper first for easy cleanup) drizzle on some olive oil & roast  If the sprouts are large, halve them first. Stir them around the pan once or twice while they're roasting; they're done when they just start to blacken.  Remove from oven, salt & season to taste & enjoy!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

That sounds good.
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

Julia1996

Quote from: ChrissyRyan on February 14, 2018, 10:05:01 PM
Does anyone have any good recipes to share for Brussel sprouts besides basically to soften them by steaming, and adding butter to taste?  Perhaps also the same question but for asparagus?

Thanks!

Chrissy

I shred them blanch them for about 3-4 minuets and then saute them with with bacon diced into small pieces.  Even my boyfriend and brother like them that way. They wouldn't even think of eating plain steamed Brussels sprouts. They usually call vegetables "rabbit food" but if it has bacon in it it becomes "real food"  LOL.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Cassi

Panda Express but was a little upset because I order Panda ribs and was told that Pandas weren't on the menu.  Well, I never.
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

ChrissyRyan

Quote from: Amy Marie on February 14, 2018, 10:17:24 PM

Thank you for that roasting recipe for the sprouts.  I will for sure try that this week.

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

Roll

Oven roasted brussel's sprouts are good, but here's my current go to... CAJUN! Use a good cajun spice blend in a heavy pan with olive oil, sear them until almost black while stirring constantly (try to dry them out before hand, you need some moisture but you don't want the pan to start getting watery). Finish off under broiler! Can also add a cream base (butter + flour is good enough) and get them coated nicely with the seasoning for a good saucey effect.

For asparagus, parm encrusted pan roasted is the way to go everytime. Again, dry but not too dry. (Though less dry for thin asparagus). Heat up high, generous amount of olive oil in the pan(don't skimp, you need a good layer), put asparagus in a neat row, and roll them back and forth over each other near constantly. let them sit for a moment here and there to brown just a bit, but for the most part you keep them moving. Salt and pepper them to taste, but I'm pretty generous with both on asparagus. When about 30 seconds from done (fork/taste test until desired firmness), sprinkle a ton of grated parm and toss it around, adding more parm if too much falls off before it browns (use the cheap stuff in the can, not real parm, it crusts better, the shredded just melts). Again, gotta keep it moving, it will burn fast. Heat off, onto serving plate. Serve with lemon slices (just a few drops  per!).
~ Ellie
■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■
I ALWAYS WELCOME PMs!
(I made the s lowercase so it didn't look as much like PMS... ;D)

An Open Letter to anyone suffering from anxiety, particularly those afraid to make your first post or continue posting!

8/30/17 - First Therapy! The road begins in earnest.
10/20/17 - First coming out (to my father)!
12/16/17 - BEGAN HRT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
5/21/18 - FIRST DAY OUT AS ME!!!!!!!!!
6/08/18 - 2,250 Hair Grafts
6/23/18 - FIRST PRIDE!
8/06/18 - 100%, completely out!
9/08/18 - I'M IN LOVE!!!!
2/27/19 - Name Change!

•  

ChrissyRyan

Quote from: Julia1996 on February 14, 2018, 10:20:13 PM
I shred them blanch them for about 3-4 minuets and then saute them with with bacon diced into small pieces.  Even my boyfriend and brother like them that way. They wouldn't even think of eating plain steamed Brussels sprouts. They usually call vegetables "rabbit food" but if it has bacon in it it becomes "real food"  LOL.

Julia,

Thank you for this idea.  Bacon compliments a lot of food, and this is worthy of trying out.  I will.

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

natalie.ashlyne

well since I dont feel like making anything after working 16 hours can of tuna hot sauce and olives
  •  

TonyaW

Quote from: ChrissyRyan on February 14, 2018, 10:05:01 PM
Does anyone have any good recipes to share for Brussel sprouts besides basically to soften them by steaming, and adding butter to taste?  Perhaps also the same question but for asparagus?

Thanks!

Chrissy
Prosciutto wrapped grilled asparagus. 
Grill first, then wrap and and grill just a little more.  Would think bacon would work for the wrap. 

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

•  

ChrissyRyan

Quote from: Roll on February 14, 2018, 10:33:38 PM
Oven roasted brussel's sprouts are good, but here's my current go to... CAJUN! Use a good cajun spice blend in a heavy pan with olive oil, sear them until almost black while stirring constantly (try to dry them out before hand, you need some moisture but you don't want the pan to start getting watery). Finish off under broiler! Can also add a cream base (butter + flour is good enough) and get them coated nicely with the seasoning for a good saucey effect.

For asparagus, parm encrusted pan roasted is the way to go everytime. Again, dry but not too dry. (Though less dry for thin asparagus). Heat up high, generous amount of olive oil in the pan(don't skimp, you need a good layer), put asparagus in a neat row, and roll them back and forth over each other near constantly. let them sit for a moment here and there to brown just a bit, but for the most part you keep them moving. Salt and pepper them to taste, but I'm pretty generous with both on asparagus. When about 30 seconds from done (fork/taste test until desired firmness), sprinkle a ton of grated parm and toss it around, adding more parm if too much falls off before it browns (use the cheap stuff in the can, not real parm, it crusts better, the shredded just melts). Again, gotta keep it moving, it will burn fast. Heat off, onto serving plate. Serve with lemon slices (just a few drops  per!).

Ellie, 

These sound yummy.  I will try these ideas out.  Thanks bunches!   :)

Chrissy
  •  

Julia1996

Quote from: Cassi on February 14, 2018, 10:21:05 PM
Panda Express but was a little upset because I order Panda ribs and was told that Pandas weren't on the menu.  Well, I never.

I know. It's false advertising. Just like baby food. There's no babies in it at all and girl scout cookies aren't made from girl scouts at all. False advertising I tell you.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

ChrissyRyan

Quote from: Julia1996 on February 14, 2018, 11:18:15 PM
I know. It's false advertising. Just like baby food. There's no babies in it at all and girl scout cookies aren't made from girl scouts at all. False advertising I tell you.

Containers of baby food with a picture of a baby on the outside did not sell well in some countries because food containers there often had labels with pictures of what was in the container.
  •  

Julia1996

Quote from: ChrissyRyan on February 14, 2018, 11:23:49 PM

Containers of baby food with a picture of a baby on the outside did not sell well in some countries because food containers there often had labels with pictures of what was in the container.

For real?? That's hilarious! Lol
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Cassi

Quote from: Julia1996 on February 14, 2018, 11:18:15 PM

It's terrible!!!!!
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

Cassi

Quote from: ChrissyRyan on February 14, 2018, 11:23:49 PM

Especially Gerber's, thought they were getting german food.
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

ChrissyRyan

Quote from: TonyaW on February 14, 2018, 11:04:29 PM
Prosciutto wrapped grilled asparagus. 
Grill first, then wrap and and grill just a little more.  Would think bacon would work for the wrap. 

Now that is another good idea.  Thank you Tonya!  Guess I will "ham it up" on the wrap with that idea!  At least, some pork!   :)

Chrissy
  •  

V M

Imma make a pizza... Details to follow
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

Northern Star Girl

I made a Pineapple Upside Down Cake last night and almost forgot to take a picture to share with you before I cut it up.   I love to bake but I am very careful how much I keep around in my house so I usually share my creations, I cut it up this morning to take portions to my friends...  I am trying to be careful with limiting my treat intake... gotta keep my girlish figure.

Yum, yum. GOOD

I love to see other's food pictures.... :)
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures

Started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old & Single
Email: northernstargirl@susans.org
  •  

ChrissyRyan

I think one of these recipes above for Brussel sprouts will be used for the meal tonight, and maybe also for asparagus.

Chrissy
  •  

Dee Marshall

Tonight will be Greek chicken, roasted potatoes, pitas and tzatziki, all of it home made.

The spy who came in from the cold in the War Between the Sexes.

April 22, 2015, the day of my first face to face pass in gender neutral clothes and no makeup. It may be months to the next one, but I'm good with that!

Being transgender is just a phase. It hardly ever starts before conception and always ends promptly at death.

They say the light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train. I say, climb aboard!
  •