Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

What are you having for dinner? 2.0

Started by big kim, November 23, 2017, 03:19:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: kaitylynn on February 18, 2018, 03:39:54 PM
Will do!  I cannot wait to see it once it has cooled in to shape!  Heather is still a bit under the weather, so not sure what we will be making for dinner.  Feeling very vegetarian today...

Do you serve it with any kind of topping on it?  Cherry pie filling?  something else?? or plain??  Any way you do it Cheese Cake is terrific!
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures

Started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old & Single
Email: northernstargirl@susans.org
  •  

kaitylynn

Caramel and maybe part of it with Orange Marmalade.  Not sure yet...

Is there some reason it feels like I am gaining weight sitting here reading these posts!!!
Katherine Lynn M.

You've got a light that always guides you.
You speak of hope and change as something good.
Live your truth and know you're not alone.

The restart - 20-Oct-2015
Legal name and gender change affirmed - 27-Sep-2016
Breast Augmentation (Dr. Gupta) - 27-Aug-2018
  •  

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: kaitylynn on February 18, 2018, 03:55:51 PM
Caramel and maybe part of it with Orange Marmalade.  Not sure yet...

Is there some reason it feels like I am gaining weight sitting here reading these posts!!!

@ kaitylynn:  ME TOO !!!!   I have not been on this forum for very long but I had noticed that what missing most on this "What are you having for dinner? 2.0" thread was pictures!!!  I love to post pictures of food that I prepare.  I am just trying to do my part to make your mouths water.   Just because most of here used to be of the male species doesn't mean we don't know how to cook!!!

•  

Roll

Quote from: Dena on February 18, 2018, 03:28:56 PM
Expensive but not difficult. We used a pressure fryer for years until the gasket gave out and we couldn't get a replacement. Out of curiosity I googled pressure fryers and found they were still made for home use however they were in the $200 to $300 price range. I wouldn't eat enough fried foods to make it worth my while but if there were a few more people around here, I might consider it.

Difficult in the sense that most people don't have one I mean. :D And yeah, it's hard to justify them unless you do a TON of frying.

Quote from: ChrissyRyan on February 18, 2018, 03:32:34 PM

For cooking chicken, is using a pressure fryer the same as "broasting?"
Is a pressure cooker the same as a pressure fryer?

Pressure cookers are not the same, no. Which bears mentioning...

IMPORTANT NOTE TO EVERYONE: ABSOLUTELY DO NOT TRY TO DEEP FRY IN A PRESSURE COOKER. Doing so is essentially building a boston marathon bomb.  :-X

Broasting I had to look up, but it is just a brand gimmick apparently.

Pressure fryers are what Chick-Fil-A uses just btw. Though normal deep frying is fine if you can get hot enough temperature, it's sort of scary to work with, messy, and just a lot of work unless you do a ton of frying. I have a small deep fryer that I would only be able to do like one chicken breast at a time in, maybe two legs, and even that wastes a ton of oil unless I'm frying a lot for days. (Can't really leave it sitting around because it starts to smell, even if the oil is still usable.)

Unless you're allergic, peanut oil > all for chicken. High smoke point and adds great flavor other oils don't, also healthier. (Remember, the hotter you fry, the less oil is absorbed in the chicken. Temperature differential is key to stopping oil absorption and creating crispy breading. That is why tempura is so good, it's made with ice water! )

Quote from: Aspiringperson on February 18, 2018, 04:12:12 PM
I have not been on this forum for very long but I had noticed that what missing most on this "What are you having for dinner? 2.0" thread was pictures!!!

I love posting pictures when I remember to take them before eating. ;D
~ Ellie
■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■
I ALWAYS WELCOME PMs!
(I made the s lowercase so it didn't look as much like PMS... ;D)

An Open Letter to anyone suffering from anxiety, particularly those afraid to make your first post or continue posting!

8/30/17 - First Therapy! The road begins in earnest.
10/20/17 - First coming out (to my father)!
12/16/17 - BEGAN HRT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
5/21/18 - FIRST DAY OUT AS ME!!!!!!!!!
6/08/18 - 2,250 Hair Grafts
6/23/18 - FIRST PRIDE!
8/06/18 - 100%, completely out!
9/08/18 - I'M IN LOVE!!!!
2/27/19 - Name Change!

•  

TonyaW

Quote from: Aspiringperson on February 18, 2018, 03:46:28 PM
I threw a small birthday party for a good friend of mine Saturday evening, had several people over to my house...  I baked a German Chocolate Cake... their favorite, well, mine too!  Who doesn't like German Chocolate cake anyway?  I made extra frosting for it... the frosting with the pecans and the coconut is to die for.  It is one of the best parts.

I dislike coconut slightly less than mayonnaise, so I don't care for it.

Coconuts are not native to Germany, nor do  swallows carry them back during migration,   so how does it end up in German chocolate cake?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

•  

Julia1996

Quote from: TonyaW on February 18, 2018, 06:09:55 PM

Coconuts are not native to Germany, nor do  swallows carry them back during migration,   so how does it end up in German chocolate cake?

Gee you're pretty picky.  I guess you wouldn't like my chocolate cake with coconut mayonnaise frosting. Lol.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Maddie86

Quote from: Aspiringperson on February 18, 2018, 03:46:28 PM
I threw a small birthday party for a good friend of mine Saturday evening, had several people over to my house...  I baked a German Chocolate Cake... their favorite, well, mine too!  Who doesn't like German Chocolate cake anyway?  I made extra frosting for it... the frosting with the pecans and the coconut is to die for.  It is one of the best parts.

ooo yum, that looks great! Kinda reminds me of the coconut mocha latte I had today!
  •  

Roll

Quote from: TonyaW on February 18, 2018, 06:09:55 PM

I don't mind coconut milk, oil, water, etc... but I hate shredded coconut. It's got a weird texture.  :-X
~ Ellie
■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■
I ALWAYS WELCOME PMs!
(I made the s lowercase so it didn't look as much like PMS... ;D)

An Open Letter to anyone suffering from anxiety, particularly those afraid to make your first post or continue posting!

8/30/17 - First Therapy! The road begins in earnest.
10/20/17 - First coming out (to my father)!
12/16/17 - BEGAN HRT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
5/21/18 - FIRST DAY OUT AS ME!!!!!!!!!
6/08/18 - 2,250 Hair Grafts
6/23/18 - FIRST PRIDE!
8/06/18 - 100%, completely out!
9/08/18 - I'M IN LOVE!!!!
2/27/19 - Name Change!

•  

Maddie86

Quote from: Roll on February 18, 2018, 05:39:18 PM
Difficult in the sense that most people don't have one I mean. :D And yeah, it's hard to justify them unless you do a TON of frying.

Pressure cookers are not the same, no. Which bears mentioning...

IMPORTANT NOTE TO EVERYONE: ABSOLUTELY DO NOT TRY TO DEEP FRY IN A PRESSURE COOKER. Doing so is essentially building a boston marathon bomb.  :-X

Broasting I had to look up, but it is just a brand gimmick apparently.

Pressure fryers are what Chick-Fil-A uses just btw. Though normal deep frying is fine if you can get hot enough temperature, it's sort of scary to work with, messy, and just a lot of work unless you do a ton of frying. I have a small deep fryer that I would only be able to do like one chicken breast at a time in, maybe two legs, and even that wastes a ton of oil unless I'm frying a lot for days. (Can't really leave it sitting around because it starts to smell, even if the oil is still usable.)

Unless you're allergic, peanut oil > all for chicken. High smoke point and adds great flavor other oils don't, also healthier. (Remember, the hotter you fry, the less oil is absorbed in the chicken. Temperature differential is key to stopping oil absorption and creating crispy breading. That is why tempura is so good, it's made with ice water! )

I love posting pictures when I remember to take them before eating. ;D

I heard of one technique that a local place used to do. I LOVED their fried chicken and I was heartbroken when they went out of business. A local bar owner did a fundraiser before where the family that owned that restaurant used the bar's kitchen to make fried chicken and I guess they did big batches where they would cook it at like 350 (or maybe even lower) and then towards the end of the cook they actually turned the fryers off and let the chicken continue to cook as the oil cooled a little. seems weird to me and idk how much truth there is to it but I did love their food.

KFC is famous for their pressure fryers, but I heard that they only use that for their original recipe chicken, for the extra crispy they just use a regular deep fryer. I like both but lately I've been opting for the original, I think with less breading you can taste the seasoning better and it also seems more tender, which I'm guessing is from the pressure fryer.
  •  

heather3791

Cool thread ya'll. Anybody ever cook on the Big Green Egg? I absolutely love mine. I especially enjoy smoking a Boston Butt for like 18 to 20 hours and then pulling it apart with two forks effortlessly. Tonight I'm doing a ribeye for just 6 minutes however. Nothing beats the flavor of a good steak on the egg. I'll never cook one on a gas grill again.
  •  

Thea

Quote from: TonyaW on February 18, 2018, 06:09:55 PMCoconuts are not native to Germany, nor do  swallows carry them back during migration,   so how does it end up in German chocolate cake?

African or European swallows?
Veteran, U.S. Army

First awareness of my true nature 1971
Quit alcohol & pot 10/22/14
First acceptance of my true nature 10/2015
Started electrolysis 9/12/17
Begun Gender Therapy 7/06/18
Begun HRT 8/01/18
Quit tobacco 11/23/18

•  

TonyaW

Quote from: Julia1996 on February 18, 2018, 06:20:46 PM
Gee you're pretty picky.  I guess you wouldn't like my chocolate cake with coconut mayonnaise frosting. Lol.
You probably serve it with that garlic ice cream and pickle syrup

•  

TonyaW

Quote from: Roll on February 18, 2018, 06:32:21 PM
I don't mind coconut milk, oil, water, etc... but I hate shredded coconut. It's got a weird texture.  :-X
Think its also a texture thing for mostly, but I don't like coconut lifesavers either. 

•  

Dena

Quote from: heather3791 on February 18, 2018, 06:53:04 PM
Cool thread ya'll. Anybody ever cook on the Big Green Egg? I absolutely love mine. I especially enjoy smoking a Boston Butt for like 18 to 20 hours and then pulling it apart with two forks effortlessly. Tonight I'm doing a ribeye for just 6 minutes however. Nothing beats the flavor of a good steak on the egg. I'll never cook one on a gas grill again.
I prefer a Webber kettle for grilling but when it comes to long cooking times, I use a charcoal smoker with mesquite for the smoking wood. Around here is considered a weed or landscape that needs regular trimming so it's pretty plentiful. It addition, it doesn't have the bite that hickory has. When I grill, I also add a little mesquite to the charcoal to give the meat some additional flavor.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

Julia1996

Quote from: TonyaW on February 18, 2018, 07:08:13 PM
You probably serve it with that garlic ice cream and pickle syrup

Lol.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Julia1996

Quote from: heather3791 on February 18, 2018, 06:53:04 PM

Ok I'll bite, what in the world is a green egg????
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: Julia1996 on February 18, 2018, 07:56:18 PM
Ok I'll bite, what in the world is a green egg????

The Big Green Egg is a high-end Charcoal Grill and BBQ smoker/cooker. Excellent quality and price to match but they are one of the best out there.

•  

Julia1996

Tonight I had cheeseburger macaroni hamburger helper that Tyler made. He heard me telling my dad I missed my salads so he made me salad too which was very sweet of him.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Julia1996

Quote from: Aspiringperson on February 18, 2018, 08:12:26 PM

The Big Green Egg is a high-end Charcoal Grill and BBQ smoker/cooker. Excellent quality and price to match but they are one of the best out there.

Oh ok. We just have a regular gas grill that I've never used. I've always been kind of afraid of gas grills. The one time I lit the stupid thing for my dad Tyler clapped his hands loudly and yelled BOOM behind me when I pressed the ignite switch which almost gave me a heart attack.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

ChrissyRyan

I remained quite full from the two dozen Brussel sprouts from earlier so I skipped dinner.
I still have quite a few of these sprouts to eat up, maybe as a side dish.  They were certainly very good!

No mayo Tonya.  No coconut either.

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •