News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Kathy's journey

Started by KathyLauren, December 05, 2017, 05:19:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KathyLauren

Quote from: Jayne01 on December 26, 2017, 02:56:42 PM
There's a boob fairy? How do I contact her?
Apparently by griping in a thread here on Susan's!   :D
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

Jayne01

I better do some more griping then. Lol
  •  

steph2.0

Quote from: KathyLauren on December 26, 2017, 03:20:34 PM
Apparently by griping in a thread here on Susan's!   :D

OK.

I want my booooobs!!!

- Stephanie

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

Jayne01

Do you think if we start a new thread called "I want my booooobs" and all join in together, the boob fairy will hear us?

Jayne
  •  

steph2.0

Quote from: Jayne01 on December 26, 2017, 04:11:24 PM
Do you think if we start a new thread called "I want my booooobs" and all join in together, the boob fairy will hear us?

Jayne

You know, at Springsteen concerts I always assumed they were yelling "Bruuuuuce!" What if they were all yelling "booooooobs?"

- Stephanie

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

KathyLauren

Just checking in because it's been a few days, not because anything is happening.  Things get quiet anyway between Christmas and New Year, but this year, the weather is making it even quieter.  It got cold and blizzardy on Christmas Day.  The wind died down after a couple of days, but now the snow has been falling for several days.  Not heavy snow, but non-stop, so it builds up.  My excitement today was getting the snowblower out and blowing out the driveway.  Whee!

I started my first six-month prescription of HRT last week.  I guess that means my doc thinks my levels are stable enough.

I have a therapist appointment next week.  I might not make it due to weather if the snow keeps up.  It's an hour and a half each way.  She already told me we can do it by phone or other technology.  This one is for my first GRS letter.  :D  I haven't heard yet from the shrink who is supposed to write my second letter.  :(  The referral is in, so I guess I'll hear from him eventually.

I have been hanging out here on Susan's a lot over the holiday break.  I think a few times I have been able to help people.  I like that.

That's it, another action-packed few days!
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

HappyMoni

Did someone say boobs? I sensed a disturbance in the force and it led me here. Oh, Kathy, I was reminiscing after seeing a post of yours today. The first time I talked to you was back when you were terrified to come out to your wife. It is so nice to see how she supports you now. You have come so far, well we both have, haven't we.  It is so good to see. Hugs, Girl! Oh yeah, Happy New Year!
Moni
If I ever offend you, let me know. It's not what I am about.
"Never let the dark kill your light!"  (SailorMars)

HRT June 11, 2015. (new birthday) - FFS in late June 2016. (Dr. _____=Ugh!) - Full time June 18, 2016 (Yeah! finally) - GCS June 27, 2017. (McGinn=Yeah!) - Under Eye repair from FFS 8/17/17 - Nose surgery-November 20, 2017 (Dr. Papel=Yeah) - Hair Transplant on June 21, 2018 (Dr. Cooley-yeah) - Breast Augmentation on July 10, 2018 (Dr. Basner in Baltimore) - Removed bad scarring from FFS surgery near ears and hairline in August, 2018 (Dr. Papel) -Sept. 2018, starting a skin regiment on face with Retin A  April 2019 -repairing neck scar from FFS

]
  •  

Laurie

Hi Kathy,

What no dog sled or snowmobile to get to those appointments?  I thought they were standard government issue for all Canadians. Going after letters already? Is this something new or did I miss a few posts. More than likely it's my sometimers disease kicking up again. I see that woman Margie? no not Margie. Oh yeah, Moany was here reminiscing with you and trying to take another swipe at me by saying you two have come so far. Yeah I know it's true, it points out how stuck I am. Even my pill pusher (psychiatric practical nurse) illustrated on her white board that I was stuck last time I saw her. That Moany just likes to rub it in. Well I tell you she'll be sorry when I see her again. You mark my words!
  Hey I hope you get dug out out the snow soon.

Luvs ya,
  Laurie
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

KathyLauren

Quote from: HappyMoni on December 30, 2017, 07:12:51 PM
Did someone say boobs? I sensed a disturbance in the force and it led me here. Oh, Kathy, I was reminiscing after seeing a post of yours today. The first time I talked to you was back when you were terrified to come out to your wife. It is so nice to see how she supports you now. You have come so far, well we both have, haven't we.  It is so good to see. Hugs, Girl! Oh yeah, Happy New Year!
Moni
I guess that was close on two years ago now, Moni.  Yes, we have come a long way.  In my case, thanks to your encouragement.  Yes, nice indeed!  :D  Hugs back atcha, and Happy New Year!

Quote from: Laurie on December 30, 2017, 07:30:04 PM
Hi Kathy,

What no dog sled or snowmobile to get to those appointments?  I thought they were standard government issue for all Canadians. Going after letters already? Is this something new or did I miss a few posts. More than likely it's my sometimers disease kicking up again. I see that woman Margie? no not Margie. Oh yeah, Moany was here reminiscing with you and trying to take another swipe at by say you two have come so far. Yeah I know it's true, it points out how stuck I am. Even my pill pusher (psychiatric practical nurse) illustrated on her white board that I was stuck last time I saw her. That Moany just likes to rub it in. Well I tell you she'll be sorry when I see her again. You mark my words!
  Hey I hope you get dug out out the snow soon.

Luvs ya,
  Laurie
Stuck?  Heck, I'm the one who's snowed in.  Don't worry, I'll get out my jumper cables and we'll have you moving in a jiffy.

I actually keep a set of snowshoes near the front door in case I wake up to deep snow and have to walk to the barn to get the snowblower.  And today I was thinking of getting the cross-country skis out.  Back in the day, I was a pretty fair long-distance skier, but the farthest I ever did in one day was 55km.  I'm not sure I'm up to skiing into the city.

As long as the Internet doesn't go out, we'll be fine.

Yup, going for my letters.  It will likely be more than a year before I can get a surgery date, but I have to start somewhere.  Actually I have to start right here, so that's what I'm doing.  I always was on a fast track, because I know I've used up at least 2/3 of my life.  No time to waste.  The only variable about GRS was whether I really wanted it.  Yes, I do, I've decided, so here I go.  I have decided which surgery I want (cosmetic), and the "system" has decided my surgeon for me (Brassard), so now it's just jumping through hoops.

You'd better start working on your passport, because I expect your next road trip to include Nova Scotia.

Happy New Year, Laurie!
  •  

HappyMoni

Kathy, tell 'that woman' to get off her high horse, get in her truck and come see both of us. You supply the snow. I think I can still ski.
Moni
If I ever offend you, let me know. It's not what I am about.
"Never let the dark kill your light!"  (SailorMars)

HRT June 11, 2015. (new birthday) - FFS in late June 2016. (Dr. _____=Ugh!) - Full time June 18, 2016 (Yeah! finally) - GCS June 27, 2017. (McGinn=Yeah!) - Under Eye repair from FFS 8/17/17 - Nose surgery-November 20, 2017 (Dr. Papel=Yeah) - Hair Transplant on June 21, 2018 (Dr. Cooley-yeah) - Breast Augmentation on July 10, 2018 (Dr. Basner in Baltimore) - Removed bad scarring from FFS surgery near ears and hairline in August, 2018 (Dr. Papel) -Sept. 2018, starting a skin regiment on face with Retin A  April 2019 -repairing neck scar from FFS

]
  •  

Cindy

Cindy's ears picked up at the mention of the boob fairy wondering where she had gone. Then she reads about snow and decides that's enough horror story.
Looking at a map and seeing that Canada is at the bottom bit of the world. Wow do people live that far away.....
  •  

Bari Jo

Thanks for your thread!  I've been hesitant t pick up new threads, yours had so much fun and optimism it was a joy.

Bari Jo
you know how far the universe extends outward? i think i go inside just as deep.

10/11/18 - out to the whole world.  100% friends and family support.
11/6/17 - came out to sister, best day of my life
9/5/17 - formal diagnosis and stopping DIY in favor if prescribed HRT
6/18/17 - decided to stop fighting the trans beast, back on DIY.
Too many ups and downs, DIY, purges of self inbetween dates.
Age 10 - suppression and denial began
Age 8 - knew I was different
  •  

KathyLauren

So it's the last day of 2017.  What a ride this year has been!  :o ;D  Wow!!

Yep, a year-end summary!   ::)  TL:DR: It was (almost) all good!

It started out with a doctor's appointment for my first HRT prescription.  I started my first dose of E and S on Jan 20th.  I felt the first effects within a week, and could see significant effects within a couple of months.

I immediately started planning how I was going to come out in my community.  There was never any doubt that I wanted a full transition.  I gave myself a time line of late April, and started to work towards that.  I am an analyst at heart (worked in IT), so I worked out who would gossip to whom, and what order I needed to tell people in order to manage the flow of information.

In the process of doing that, I realized that, back in the fall of 2016, I had agreed to do a public astronomy talk in July.  With an April transition in the works, and knowing that publicity material would soon be published for the event, I realized that I needed to come out to the event organizers ASAP.  I contacted the person who recruited me, explained what was going on, and offered to step aside if that's what the committee wanted.  He assured me that there would be no issue, and that it was my brain they wanted, not other parts.  I gave him a statement to read to the organizing committee, along with a request to keep my transition confidential until the publicity was published.

My contact gave me a heads-up a week before the event publicity went to press, so I circulated an email to the organization's email distribution list coming out to the entire membership.  It was my first public coming-out, and I was nervous about the possible responses.  I was amazed at the response.  I received a huge number of replies, and every single one of them was supportive and encouraging!  My first real WOW moment!

I still had some jitters about coming out to my neighbours, people I see frequently in real life.  We live in a really rural area: lots of farmers, fishermen and hillbillies.  I was worried.  I scheduled a session with my therapist to talk about my jitters.  But, because of a winter storm, I went into the city the day before and stayed overnight.  That gave me an evening and a morning to kill before my appointment, and that time was a turning point for me.

Once I had checked into my hotel, I changed into Kathy mode.  I spent the evening with some of my support group friends at a comedy club, just being out and having a good time.  The next morning, I wandered around the downtown area, window-shopping, talking to clerks and baristas.  It was awesome!  It was my first time totally unchained and free as myself, and I loved it!  By the time of my afternoon appointment, my jitters were cured.  My therapist and I went through the motions, and she offered my more appointments to talk some more about it.  But when I got home, I realized that I didn't need them.  More appointments would have pushed back my target coming-out date, and I had such a surge of self-confidence that I knew there was no way in heck I was going to do that.

I came out April 20th, and, again, it went better than I expected.  Some of my neighbours had tears in their eyes when I told them about myself, and I got lots of hugs.  A few didn't quite know what to make of it, but no one has been negative at all.  Some who were noncommittal at first have since come around.  I have been full-time ever since then.

I came out to a couple of other groups by mass email, and again, I got a lot of supportive responses, and none negative.

In July, my astronomy talk went really well.  I was able to keep my voice in my desired range, and to talk fluently about my subject.  The event itself was a camp-out for astronomers.  My talk was aimed at beginners, and I got a lot of feedback from both beginners and experienced members that they got a lot out of it.  Absolutely no one had an issue with who I was.  The washrooms at the campground were open to other campers, of course, not just the astronomy nerds, but I had no issues from anyone.  From which, I conclude that my presentation must be acceptable.

Also, in July, my name change paperwork went through, and I officially became Kathleen Lauren Walker.  Unfortunately, I couldn't do my gender change at the same time, due to my British birth certificate, so my ID looks a little odd: feminine name, but a great big M.  :(  The only negative of the year.

This fall, I started therapy aimed at getting my referral letters for GRS.  And my doctor is finally happy with my lab results, so my prescription is now stable for the next six months.

All year, starting in January, I have been continuing electrolysis on my face.  I knew, based on my pain response in other areas, that my upper and lower lip areas would really hurt, so I asked my dentist if she would freeze them.  She was not only happy to do so, but she did it for free!  Another WOW moment!  So glad I did that, because my first clearing of those areas went super smoothly and painlessly.

This fall, my older brother drove across the country, coast to coast, ostensibly to see the country, but really to visit me.  We had a great visit and talked about some personal stuff.  I love hearing him refer to me as his sister!

So here I am, at the end of the year, and, for the first time in my life, I am truly myself.  I found self-confidence that I didn't know I had.  My wife continues to be my biggest supporter and my best friend.  My friends and neighbours have all been wonderful.  It has been the best year of my life.

And all through it, you all, my friends here on Susan's have been here to encourage me and to listen to my babbling.  You are the best!

Happy New Year!
  •  

Cassi

OMG, a Boob Fairy?  How exciting.  Will have to get some pixie dust and hope it attracts to me come Wednesday :)
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

Anne Blake

Kathy, congratulations on an awesome year! It has been a joy to watch as you have grown so much, thank you for sharing your journey with us......so with such a tale for 2017, what are the plans for 2018?

Tia Anne
  •  

Laurie

Hi Kathy,

I remember all of that except for you starting HRT on Jan 20, 2017. I may have been distracted by a small matter of joining Susan's about that time because I need a little support  in order to confess my DIY hrt to my GP. That mean I am 5 weeks ahead of you one that one thing. For all the others though I enjoyed sharing your progress and admired you for taking each step. You were and are one of those that I followed and gave me inspiration to come out myself.
You have had a wonderful year and I am sure the next will be just as good for you.
  Have a Happy Near year, Kathy

Hugs,
  Laurie
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

Jayne01

Quote from: KathyLauren on December 31, 2017, 10:02:07 AM
... It has been the best year of my life.

And all through it, you all, my friends here on Susan's have been here to encourage me and to listen to my babbling.  You are the best!

Happy New Year!
Happy New Year to you and your wife Kathy. Here's to 2018 being an even better year for you.

Yours is one of the threads I follow without missing a single post. Your story fills me with hope. Thank you for sharing and a great big thank you and hug to your wife for being such an awesome person.

Jayne
  •  

KathyLauren

Thank you, everyone who has commented and wished me well.  :)

Quote from: Laurie on December 31, 2017, 01:10:30 PM
You have had a wonderful year and I am sure the next will be just as good for you.

Laurie, I am sure you will have a good year in 2018, too.  You might have to get out and help us push, but we'll have you out of the ditch and on your way in no time.
  •  

steph2.0

Quote from: KathyLauren on December 31, 2017, 10:02:07 AM
So it's the last day of 2017.  What a ride this year has been!  :o ;D  Wow!!

Yep, a year-end summary!   ::)  TL:DR: It was (almost) all good!

It started out with a doctor's appointment for my first HRT prescription.  I started my first dose of E and S on Jan 20th.  I felt the first effects within a week, and could see significant effects within a couple of months.

I immediately started planning how I was going to come out in my community.  There was never any doubt that I wanted a full transition.  I gave myself a time line of late April, and started to work towards that.  I am an analyst at heart (worked in IT), so I worked out who would gossip to whom, and what order I needed to tell people in order to manage the flow of information.

In the process of doing that, I realized that, back in the fall of 2016, I had agreed to do a public astronomy talk in July.  With an April transition in the works, and knowing that publicity material would soon be published for the event, I realized that I needed to come out to the event organizers ASAP.  I contacted the person who recruited me, explained what was going on, and offered to step aside if that's what the committee wanted.  He assured me that there would be no issue, and that it was my brain they wanted, not other parts.  I gave him a statement to read to the organizing committee, along with a request to keep my transition confidential until the publicity was published.

My contact gave me a heads-up a week before the event publicity went to press, so I circulated an email to the organization's email distribution list coming out to the entire membership.  It was my first public coming-out, and I was nervous about the possible responses.  I was amazed at the response.  I received a huge number of replies, and every single one of them was supportive and encouraging!  My first real WOW moment!

I still had some jitters about coming out to my neighbours, people I see frequently in real life.  We live in a really rural area: lots of farmers, fishermen and hillbillies.  I was worried.  I scheduled a session with my therapist to talk about my jitters.  But, because of a winter storm, I went into the city the day before and stayed overnight.  That gave me an evening and a morning to kill before my appointment, and that time was a turning point for me.

Once I had checked into my hotel, I changed into Kathy mode.  I spent the evening with some of my support group friends at a comedy club, just being out and having a good time.  The next morning, I wandered around the downtown area, window-shopping, talking to clerks and baristas.  It was awesome!  It was my first time totally unchained and free as myself, and I loved it!  By the time of my afternoon appointment, my jitters were cured.  My therapist and I went through the motions, and she offered my more appointments to talk some more about it.  But when I got home, I realized that I didn't need them.  More appointments would have pushed back my target coming-out date, and I had such a surge of self-confidence that I knew there was no way in heck I was going to do that.

I came out April 20th, and, again, it went better than I expected.  Some of my neighbours had tears in their eyes when I told them about myself, and I got lots of hugs.  A few didn't quite know what to make of it, but no one has been negative at all.  Some who were noncommittal at first have since come around.  I have been full-time ever since then.

I came out to a couple of other groups by mass email, and again, I got a lot of supportive responses, and none negative.

In July, my astronomy talk went really well.  I was able to keep my voice in my desired range, and to talk fluently about my subject.  The event itself was a camp-out for astronomers.  My talk was aimed at beginners, and I got a lot of feedback from both beginners and experienced members that they got a lot out of it.  Absolutely no one had an issue with who I was.  The washrooms at the campground were open to other campers, of course, not just the astronomy nerds, but I had no issues from anyone.  From which, I conclude that my presentation must be acceptable.

Also, in July, my name change paperwork went through, and I officially became Kathleen Lauren Walker.  Unfortunately, I couldn't do my gender change at the same time, due to my British birth certificate, so my ID looks a little odd: feminine name, but a great big M.  :(  The only negative of the year.

This fall, I started therapy aimed at getting my referral letters for GRS.  And my doctor is finally happy with my lab results, so my prescription is now stable for the next six months.

All year, starting in January, I have been continuing electrolysis on my face.  I knew, based on my pain response in other areas, that my upper and lower lip areas would really hurt, so I asked my dentist if she would freeze them.  She was not only happy to do so, but she did it for free!  Another WOW moment!  So glad I did that, because my first clearing of those areas went super smoothly and painlessly.

This fall, my older brother drove across the country, coast to coast, ostensibly to see the country, but really to visit me.  We had a great visit and talked about some personal stuff.  I love hearing him refer to me as his sister!

So here I am, at the end of the year, and, for the first time in my life, I am truly myself.  I found self-confidence that I didn't know I had.  My wife continues to be my biggest supporter and my best friend.  My friends and neighbours have all been wonderful.  It has been the best year of my life.

Happy New Year!

Once again, Kathy, you find the words to describe the parallel lives we seem to be leading. All my best wishes for a great New Year. See you on the other side...

- Stephanie

•  

KathyLauren

Here's an up-to-date photo of me.  (I'm the taller one.)  I'm in totally shapeless dog-walking clothes, but I actually look not bad in them.  (!)
P1130608-1000px
  •