Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Kathy's journey

Started by KathyLauren, December 05, 2017, 05:19:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jayne01

Ouch! Some face zapping sessions are worse than others. I try to zone out and almost end up in a meditative state. I have even been known to fall asleep during a session, but there are some areas that no amount of zoning out or numbing cream can ease the pain. Upper lip near the nose cones to mind. That area causes the tears to just start flowing. I try taking my mind to a happy place, but the fire stick in my face keeps me focused on the pain. It's a necessary evil.

I feel your pain Kathy.

Jayne
  •  

Bari Jo

OMG, I have been there.  I have laughter defense mechanism, so when I giggle a little my electrocutionist knows it hurts.  Of course when we go beyond that is the problem.  My Dr prescribed me numbing cream that is 6% lidocain among other stuff.  It takes just enough edge off I don't cry.  A mental exercise of mine is thinking about the absurdity of what we are doing.  Also, another thought is when you are done that day, will be a long rest until the next time.  Hang in there!

Bari Jo
you know how far the universe extends outward? i think i go inside just as deep.

10/11/18 - out to the whole world.  100% friends and family support.
11/6/17 - came out to sister, best day of my life
9/5/17 - formal diagnosis and stopping DIY in favor if prescribed HRT
6/18/17 - decided to stop fighting the trans beast, back on DIY.
Too many ups and downs, DIY, purges of self inbetween dates.
Age 10 - suppression and denial began
Age 8 - knew I was different
  •  

steph2.0

Two laser sessions ago Brandi had to scrape me off the ceiling when she was done. My internal systems had experienced an ID 10T error. I hadn't had much water in the last 24 hours, and I drank a cup of heavily caffeinated tea on the 1:15 trip to her office. Plus I hadn't given the numbing cream enough time to work. [emoji33]

This last time I attached a fire hose to the input port, avoided all caffeine like the plague, and gave the cream over an hour spin up to full RPM. For most of the session I didn't feel a thing. Yes, there were a few spots on my neck, corners of the mouth, under the nose, that had me squeezing the life out of the foam thingy she gives me. I wish I understood how to "zone out" or whatever "mindfulness" is.

And I am terrified of hair removal at the "south pole." I'll do it if necessary, of course, but I'm afraid it may be permanently mentally scarring. Yes, I'm a wimp.

Got to keep my eyes on the prize...

- Stephanie

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

KathyLauren

I think I managed to avoid all the ID 10T errors.  I almost had a Nanaimo bar (a uniquely Canadian dessert that contains a lot of chocolate) at lunch, but caught myself in time.  Fluid level topped up, cream on face an hour + ahead of time, well covered with cling wrap.  But I can't imagine ever not feeling it.  The only time I didn't feel it was when I got the dentist to numb my upper and lower lips.  The best I can do is to take the edge off the pain.

I am pretty good at mindfulness, and when the numbing works well and she's only using the 'stun' setting on her phaser, I can actually get into a head space where the shocks are happening in another room.  Yesterday, she was able to clear quite a bit that way.  But towards the end of the session she was using the 'kill' setting on a few stubborn hairs, and the cream had been wiped off for an hour.

I think I might see my doctor for a prescription for something stronger.  I've got the strongest over-the-counter cream I can get, and it ain't working.

As I told my electrocutioner yesterday as I wiped my eyes, "Yeah, but it's got to be done."

I can't actually imagine doing the 'south pole'.  Fortunately, Brassard doesn't require it, and the cosmetic procedure I want doesn't need it.  Whew!
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

Michelle_P

I have to honestly say that the work on the "South Pole" was nowhere near as uncomfortable as doing the upper or lower lip.  No, really.

I used the EMLA cream and plastic wrap tricks down there, several small sheets of plastic in overlapping bands so my electrolyst could uncover one area and leave the cream in place on others.  That helped.

We also talked and had music playing while working on the South Pole.  That helps enormously as a distraction.

Clearing down there was done in several sessions, seperated by about 3 weeks once the initial clearing was done, to allow for the normal hair growth cycle.  Time to clear was down to about 30 minutes at the last session, mostly hunting for tiny, whispy hairs.

The electrolyst was able to use a shorter probe and lower current for the last sessions, with nothing but tiny new hairs to zap.  That was much more comfortable.  (The same is true for my face clearings, BTW)
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

KathyLauren

Today is a milestone in my journey: one year on HRT!  (Hear that, boobs?   Time to get growing.)
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

KathyLauren

Wow, a busy couple of days, and lots of posts to catch up on.  I'm doing lights and sound for a stage play that my wife is in.  Wednesday night's rehearsal was cancelled due to heavy snow, so we had it Thursday night.  Then yesterday, I had to drive 5 hours (2.5 each way) to go pick up a kitty that we are adopring.  My wife is very particular about what kind of kitty she would adopt: a neutered adult orange tabby boy.  Hence the long drive when one was available.  Fortunately, the roads were good.  The rest of the day was spent making sure the new cat and our existing animals (a greyhound and a tabby girl cat) were introduced safely.  Then this morning, we had another rehearsal.

All of which explains the one-liner post above.

Now that things have slowed down a bit, I can walk the dog, bring in firewood, and try to figure out where the @#$% mice are getting into the pantry.  No, neither cat is a mouser. :(

This real-life stuff keeps me busy!
  •  

Bari Jo

Quote from: KathyLauren on January 20, 2018, 05:52:06 AM
Today is a milestone in my journey: one year on HRT!  (Hear that, boobs?   Time to get growing.)

I'm going to start talking to mine, see if that helps too:)  if not, we can always do BA.  I don't think I'd ever do anything bigger than a C anyway, you?

Bari Jo
you know how far the universe extends outward? i think i go inside just as deep.

10/11/18 - out to the whole world.  100% friends and family support.
11/6/17 - came out to sister, best day of my life
9/5/17 - formal diagnosis and stopping DIY in favor if prescribed HRT
6/18/17 - decided to stop fighting the trans beast, back on DIY.
Too many ups and downs, DIY, purges of self inbetween dates.
Age 10 - suppression and denial began
Age 8 - knew I was different
  •  

Jayne01

Congratulations on your one year HRT anniversary. It must be nice settling in doing simple every day normal life stuff.

I hope the cats and dog all get along well together.

Jayne
  •  

KathyLauren

Quote from: Bari Jo on January 20, 2018, 01:42:19 PMI don't think I'd ever do anything bigger than a C anyway, you?
I'd be happy with a B.  Heck, who am I kidding?  I'd even be happy with an A!  (C'mon, girls, you can do it!)
  •  

Laurie

Quote from: Jayne01 on January 20, 2018, 02:26:13 PM
Congratulations on your one year HRT anniversary. It must be nice settling in dong simple every day normal life stuff.

I hope the cats and dog all get along well together.

Jayne
Really Jayne? What kind of simple?

Quote from: KathyLauren on January 20, 2018, 11:30:26 AM
Wow, a busy couple of days, and lots of posts to catch up on.  I'm doing lights and sound for a stage play that my wife is in.  Wednesday night's rehearsal was cancelled due to heavy snow, so we had it Thursday night.  Then yesterday, I had to drive 5 hours (2.5 each way) to go pick up a kitty that we are adopring.  My wife is very particular about what kind of kitty she would adopt: a neutered adult orange tabby boy.  Hence the long drive when one was available.  Fortunately, the roads were good.  The rest of the day was spent making sure the new cat and our existing animals (a greyhound and a tabby girl cat) were introduced safely.  Then this morning, we had another rehearsal.

All of which explains the one-liner post above.

Now that things have slowed down a bit, I can walk the dog, bring in firewood, and try to figure out where the @#$% mice are getting into the pantry.  No, neither cat is a mouser. :(

This real-life stuff keeps me busy!

Mice huh? I actually saw where mine were exiting from hiding and put 2 traps there. I got 10 of the little suckers and then nothing for 2 weeks so I put the traps away.
  Congrats on the year Kathy. I keep forgetting you are a couple months behind me in HRT but I know you are way ahead in most of the rest and still pulling away. Keep it up and I'll have to get that dang passport.

Hugs,
  Laurie
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

Jayne01

Quote from: Laurie on January 20, 2018, 02:58:40 PM
Really Jayne? What kind of simple?
Simple as in everyday, nothing to do with being trans kind of stuff. ie, new cat, chasing mice, social events, etc.

Well, waiting for the boobs to grow is trans related. Maybe we can start a cheer squad.
Give me a "B", give me an "O", give me ..........

What's does it spell?
boooOOOOBS!!!!!

Jayne
  •  

Laurie

Quote from: Jayne01 on January 20, 2018, 03:14:58 PM
Simple as in everyday, nothing to do with being trans kind of stuff. ie, new cat, chasing mice, social events, etc.

Well, waiting for the boobs to grow is trans related. Maybe we can start a cheer squad.
Give me a "B", give me an "O", give me ..........

What's does it spell?
boooOOOOBS!!!!!

Jayne
I think you need to reread your simple post.

Sent from my LGL44VL using Tapatalk

•  

Jayne01

Quote from: Laurie on January 20, 2018, 10:27:43 PM
I think you need to reread your simple post.

Sent from my LGL44VL using Tapatalk
Are you messing with me, Laurie? I'm confused, are you talking about the typo? I wrote "dong" instead of "doing". I don't understand, I'm just a simple girl hanging upside down on the bottom side of the world.

Jayne [emoji15]
  •  

Laurie

Never mind Jayne I guess it's different upside down.  I corrected the typo for you.

Hugs,
  Laurie

•  

Cassi

Quote from: Laurie on January 20, 2018, 10:53:54 PM
Never mind Jayne I guess it's different upside down.  I corrected the typo for you.

Hugs,
  Laurie

Start a new band; the Boobie Brothers with their new hits; "It Takes Two", "Bounce Together", "Popping Out"........
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

KathyLauren

Yesterday, my wife and I went to the local town's Women's March.  (Yes, they held it a couple of days later than everywhere else.)  It was advertised as trans-inclusive, so I wasn't worried about TERFs, and I didn't encounter any.  There were about 200 marchers, a respectable turnout for this small town.  At least 90% of them were university students.

It was kind of low-key.  We listened to speeches, marched a few blocks, listened to more speeches, marched again, and listened some more.  It was cold, and got colder as the sun started setting, so we left before the last speech.  We didn't really interact with anyone else: there was no one we knew, and few people remotely close to our age.  Still, it was good to feel a part of something larger, and to feel like I belonged there.

It's harder to look feminine when you are all bundled up.  Wearing a hat is always a problem for me because of my wig.  But since I knew we'd be outdoors and I wouldn't have to remove it, I wore a cute tuque over my own hair, which curls out at the back enough to make a very feminine appearance.  I don't wear makeup much these days, but I did put a bit of foundation over my beard shadow.  (Electrolysis tomorrow.)  And I wore lipstick, of course.  To be honest, I don't think anyone noticed me at all.  If they did, it was probably "What's that old broad doing with all us university students?"
  •  

Laurie

Good for you and your wife getting out and being a part of something. I'm glad it was voluntary unlike my being shanghaied for the Astoria pride parade by Tessa. But for some reason you just can't tell take lady no. Anyway I'm glad to see you putting yourself out there.

Hugs,
   Laurie

•  

Jessica

Quote from: KathyLauren on January 23, 2018, 08:21:50 AM
Yesterday, my wife and I went to the local town's Women's March.  (Yes, they held it a couple of days later than everywhere else.)  It was advertised as trans-inclusive, so I wasn't worried about TERFs, and I didn't encounter any.  There were about 200 marchers, a respectable turnout for this small town.  At least 90% of them were university students.

It was kind of low-key.  We listened to speeches, marched a few blocks, listened to more speeches, marched again, and listened some more.  It was cold, and got colder as the sun started setting, so we left before the last speech.  We didn't really interact with anyone else: there was no one we knew, and few people remotely close to our age.  Still, it was good to feel a part of something larger, and to feel like I belonged there.

It's harder to look feminine when you are all bundled up.  Wearing a hat is always a problem for me because of my wig.  But since I knew we'd be outdoors and I wouldn't have to remove it, I wore a cute tuque over my own hair, which curls out at the back enough to make a very feminine appearance.  I don't wear makeup much these days, but I did put a bit of foundation over my beard shadow.  (Electrolysis tomorrow.)  And I wore lipstick, of course.  To be honest, I don't think anyone noticed me at all.  If they did, it was probably "What's that old broad doing with all us university students?"

It's great you and your wife attended the march.  It's so important now to stand up against the way women have been treated forever.  My wife unfortunately had broken her ankle a few days before the one in Oakland. So I was her nurse as we supported with our hearts instead of our feet.

Hugs, Jess 

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce.  If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere."

•  

KathyLauren

Here's a pic of the rally at the end of the march.  I am the tall woman in the red hat and blue jacket just right of centre, closest to the camera.  That's my wife to my right in the pink hat.
  •