Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Kathy's journey

Started by KathyLauren, December 05, 2017, 05:19:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KathyLauren

For some reason, I have a mental block against saying "I am  woman".  I think I am afraid of running into TERFs or male rednecks who would challenge that statement.

So today, I was introducing myself on a community Facebook page to someone I had met for the first time in person a week ago.  I wanted to identify myself so she'd associate the name with the face.  At first, I typed, "I was the person walking the greyhound."  But just before I clicked the Post button, I decided that that was the chicken's way of doing it.  So I corrected it to read " I was the woman walking the greyhound."

I guess I am still exorcising demons.  But I am getting there, even though it is baby steps.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

steph2.0

Could it be just a matter of breaking a long-standing habit of avoiding gender references altogether? I know I always deliberately used gender-neutral pronouns when talking about my past. It was, "when I was a kid," or, "I'm the one on the left," or, as you almost did, "I'm the person in blue."

Maybe it's just hard to use any gendered pronoun after so many years of actively avoiding it.

Having someone to practice with is extremely helpful. While I'm not sure it's a conscious thing, Cassie and I are reinforcing the idea all the time for each other. Saying and hearing things like, "you go, girl!" or, "you're looking great today, woman!" really helps you get used to the idea so it's easier to use for yourself.

Whatever the reason, I'm proud of you for doing it right this time! Now that you've broken the ice, it'll be easier going forward.

- Stephanie

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

Anne Blake

Quote from: KathyLauren on February 16, 2018, 06:34:29 PM
For some reason, I have a mental block against saying "I am  woman".  I think I am afraid of running into TERFs or male rednecks who would challenge that statement.

So today, I was introducing myself on a community Facebook page to someone I had met for the first time in person a week ago.  I wanted to identify myself so she'd associate the name with the face.  At first, I typed, "I was the person walking the greyhound."  But just before I clicked the Post button, I decided that that was the chicken's way of doing it.  So I corrected it to read " I was the woman walking the greyhound."

I guess I am still exorcising demons.  But I am getting there, even though it is baby steps.

Hi Kathy, I would expect that many of us have that same mental block of asserting our true/new selves in voice. Kudos to you for changing your post and more of them for telling the story. I recognize that I will be stronger when I begin voicing that I AM a woman. I have been out full time for over a year and am post surgery yet reluctant to be vocal. Thank you for showing the way!

Tia Anne
  •  

KathyLauren

Quote from: Steph2.0 on February 16, 2018, 07:06:25 PM
Could it be just a matter of breaking a long-standing habit of avoiding gender references altogether? I know I always deliberately used gender-neutral pronouns when talking about my past. It was, "when I was a kid," or, "I'm the one on the left," or, as you almost did, "I'm the person in blue."

Maybe it's just hard to use any gendered pronoun after so many years of actively avoiding it.
Wow, I hadn't thought of that.  I didn't consciously avoid gendered language all those years, but now that you mention it, that's exactly what I did without thinking about it.  Thanks for the eye-opener, Steph!

Quote from: Anne Blake on February 16, 2018, 07:31:07 PMThank you for showing the way!
What, me?  Blind leading the blind, I think!  I have a long way to go.  I guess we do what we can when we can, as long as we are moving in the right direction.  I learn a lot from you ladies.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

KathyLauren

My wife and I had a lovely social night out with a bunch of trans friends last night.  There were 10 people in total, 6 trans-fem, 1 trans-masc enby, and 3 spouses.  Some of us were full-time and some part-time or non-transitioning. 

Though we often meet other trans folk in support groups or clinical settings, it is very pleasant and normalizing to just relax over a meal and some random conversation.  At least one member of the group has a non-supportive home life.  For her, it was a rare opportunity to get away and be herself.

For those interested in such statistics, four of the seven trans folks were current or former members of the armed forces.

As a fairly strong introvert, I found the size of the group was over my threshold of comfort.  So I was probably the quietest of the bunch.  Still, I had a good time.

We met at Boston Pizza.  The place was pretty full: Saturday night and not a lot of choice among restaurants.  We got a few puzzled looks from other customers, but no one bothered us, and the staff were all nice, with no misgendering.

I am looking forward to getting together again with members of this group, but in smaller gatherings.  It took months to get this group together.  Hopefully, with smaller groups, it will be easier to plan a time and place.

I really recommend getting together with other trans people in social groups.  Too often, our "social" live consists of support groups, which serve a valuable purpose, but are just not the same as a bunch of friends hanging out.
  •  

Bari Jo

Quote from: KathyLauren on February 18, 2018, 07:11:14 AM

I really recommend getting together with other trans people in social groups.  Too often, our "social" live consists of support groups, which serve a valuable purpose, but are just not the same as a bunch of friends hanging out.

I'm starting to realize this too.  Interacting in public helps so much.  One of my support groups goes out socially after our meetings.  I look forward to that each week!

Bari Jo
you know how far the universe extends outward? i think i go inside just as deep.

10/11/18 - out to the whole world.  100% friends and family support.
11/6/17 - came out to sister, best day of my life
9/5/17 - formal diagnosis and stopping DIY in favor if prescribed HRT
6/18/17 - decided to stop fighting the trans beast, back on DIY.
Too many ups and downs, DIY, purges of self inbetween dates.
Age 10 - suppression and denial began
Age 8 - knew I was different
  •  

steph2.0

Quote from: KathyLauren on February 18, 2018, 07:11:14 AM.I really recommend getting together with other trans people in social groups.  Too often, our "social" live consists of support groups, which serve a valuable purpose, but are just not the same as a bunch of friends hanging out.

I never had much luck with group therapy sessions. But the social gatherings were so helpful. They got me out in public and helped me learn about proper presentation. Realizing the roof wasn't going to fall in when I walked into a restaurant or bar was a huge confidence builder. Sitting across the table from someone new and sharing personal stories, hints, and tips, is much more valuable than sitting in a circle and complaining. And you never know who'll you'll meet. Completely by accident I ended up sitting at a picnic table across from someone who has become my bestest friend in the whole world. Cassie and I have adopted each other as sisters. There's nothing like knowing there's another soul going through the same thing, and that you can call them any time when you need help. I am so lucky. And it was all due to those social meetups.

- Stephanie

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

KathyLauren

I have started back going to the Scottish Country Dancing class.  I outed myself to them back in the summer, and went all fall, as myself.  But I took a break over the holidays, and then got busy with theatre stuff.  So last night was my first time back in quite a while.

While, by preference, I relate to women better than men, dancing is an environment where I have to associate with men, and where they have to interact with me as a woman.  I really enjoy that.

The dancing requires equal numbers of men and women, and since women usually outnumber men at these things, they even up the numbers by having the excess women dance the men's part.  So, a couple of times last night, I was asked to dance as a man. 

Well, I danced on the men's side for a couple of years, before transition, and now I am learning to dance on the women's side.  (Scottish Country Dancing is a bit like contra dancing.)  It's confusing as heck to switch, especially in some of the more complicated figures where you spin around and have to end up facing someone other than your partner.  Fine if you are used to one side being the "right" side and the other side being the "wrong" side.  It is easy to dance one dance on the "wrong" side.  Bit I have now danced both sides as the "right" side.  That's confusing.  I am gradually getting re-oriented, but I still sometimes lose track of where I am supposed to go.

So last night, I declined to dance any men's parts.  I just said, "Sorry, I'm already confused enough!" with a big smile.  It was really the only nod to my transition.

It is a really fun activity that exercises both the body and the mind.  And I find it really affirming to be in a large group where the gender roles are well-defined, and where I am accepted as a woman.
  •  

KathyLauren

I just heard an excellent rumour.  Unfortunately, it's only a rumour at this point, but here's hoping...

Apparently, Nova Scotia is planning to implement some sort of gender recognition that is independent of one's birth certificate.  That means that those of us with birth certificates that are difficult or impossible to change will be able to legally change our gender.  It would be lovely to have that "F" on my driver's license!

The rumour is plausible, because the Human Rights Commission had a consultation last fall on the subject.  I made a submission to them to this effect, and it is likely that several other people in similar positions did.  I had feedback from the report author that she wanted to use my comments in the report, suggesting that they were taking them seriously.

Now if they actually implement it in the next year, it might do me some good.
  •  

Laurie

Well Kathy  let's hope it does become a reality. That would be nice for you.

Hugs,
   Laurie

P.S. There may be a passport in my future so you foreigners best be nice.

April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

KathyLauren

Quote from: Laurie on February 28, 2018, 10:38:42 PM
Well Kathy  let's hope it does become a reality. That would be nice for you.

Thanks, Laurie.

P.S. There may be a passport in my future so you foreigners best be nice.

No problem.  That's what we Canucks are famous for.
  •  

steph2.0

Quote from: KathyLauren on February 28, 2018, 07:55:51 PM
Apparently, Nova Scotia is planning to implement some sort of gender recognition that is independent of one's birth certificate.  That means that those of us with birth certificates that are difficult or impossible to change will be able to legally change our gender.  It would be lovely to have that "F" on my driver's license!

I didn't realize you were limited by your birth certificate. It's certainly great to have the correct marker on the drivers license. I hope they enact that rule!

Stephanie

•  

Bari Jo

I'm hoping for the best for you.  I may have all kinds of issues due to name and gender changed in international travel, mainly France.  Yuck, not looking forward to the troubles.

Bari Jo
you know how far the universe extends outward? i think i go inside just as deep.

10/11/18 - out to the whole world.  100% friends and family support.
11/6/17 - came out to sister, best day of my life
9/5/17 - formal diagnosis and stopping DIY in favor if prescribed HRT
6/18/17 - decided to stop fighting the trans beast, back on DIY.
Too many ups and downs, DIY, purges of self inbetween dates.
Age 10 - suppression and denial began
Age 8 - knew I was different
  •  

KathyLauren

Thanks!  I hope you can get your paperwork hassles sorted out, Bari Jo.

I am pretty much forgetting about the possibility of international travel until I get that resolved.  I don't want to travel on a passport that lists me as male.  (Well, for the nearest destinations there's other reasons too.)
  •  

KathyLauren

Bummer!  I was misgendered at the fire hall tonight.  The trainees were discussing my role in a medical scenario that I had led them though (I had to play the part of the neighbour who called 911).  They kept referring to me as "he".  Finally, I had to interrupt the scenario and point out that all those "he"s should have been "she"s.  ::)  It was a bit odd, because they all get my name right.

Well, mostly they get my name right.  I got my honourarium cheque for 2017 with my dead name on it.  Grrr!  They forgot to change my name on the roster they gave to the accountant!  Grrrrrr!  If the bank won't cash it, I'll have to get them to issue a new cheque.

Oh, well, I can't complain.  Mostly, my transition has been idiot-free.  (Well, okay, I can complain, and I do.  For all the good it does me.  But I shouldn't.)
  •  

Cassi

Quote from: KathyLauren on March 05, 2018, 07:35:49 PM
Bummer!  I was misgendered at the fire hall tonight.  The trainees were discussing my role in a medical scenario that I had led them though (I had to play the part of the neighbour who called 911).  They kept referring to me as "he".  Finally, I had to interrupt the scenario and point out that all those "he"s should have been "she"s.  ::)  It was a bit odd, because they all get my name right.

Well, mostly they get my name right.  I got my honourarium cheque for 2017 with my dead name on it.  Grrr!  They forgot to change my name on the roster they gave to the accountant!  Grrrrrr!  If the bank won't cash it, I'll have to get them to issue a new cheque.

Oh, well, I can't complain.  Mostly, my transition has been idiot-free.  (Well, okay, I can complain, and I do.  For all the good it does me.  But I shouldn't.)

Aha, you have just coined a new slogan for Nova Scotia; The Land Free Of Idiots!

I can see the tourist related sales escalating now :)
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

steph2.0

Quote from: KathyLauren on March 05, 2018, 07:35:49 PM

Kathy, I'm sorry all that happened. It's lousy that the people closest to us can't seem to make the effort to understand just how much it means to us to be recognized as our true selves.

I was talking to one of my neighbors about that just this evening. He and his wife are trying very hard, and mostly have it. Others don't seem to be willing to put any thought into it at all. None of them are being deliberately hurtful, but whether it's true or not, it seems like the amount of effort they're willing to make correlates to how much they value me. And so after a while I tend to avoid those who I feel don't consider me worth the extra work. I end up grading those around me, and the amount of time I spend with any of them is proportional to how I think they value me.

But that's really not fair. When I let rationality rule over emotion, I understand that the way they're reacting has less to do with how they value me as it does with their base personalities. Much of it has to do with how naturally empathetic they are, and their own approach toward life. It's cliche to say so, but it does seem to be true that women have a much easier time with it than men do.

And, painful as it is, the solution seems to be to spend more time with those having trouble, not less. The more opportunity they have to think about it - with the help of occasional gentle prompting - the sooner they'll finally get it.

As I explained tonight, I can deal with them doing it when there are only "insiders" around. Most of them have known me for ten years or more, and old habits die hard. It's when "outsiders" are around when it really bothers me. There's one of those "outsiders" visiting with one of my neighbors now. I have no idea whether he knows my story, but he unerringly gets my name and pronouns correct. I really don't need someone else misgendering me around him. It hasn't happened yet to my knowledge, and he's staying with neighbors who are among the most supportive and are putting the most effort into treating me with respect. But the longer he hangs around, the more likely it's going to happen, and the thought makes me wilt inside.

I've mentioned it before here and to some of my neighbors: sometimes the thought of pulling up stakes and starting fresh elsewhere like Aspiringperson has done is extremely attractive. But that's not really an option for me, so I'll grit my teeth and deal with it one pronoun at a time.

The end result is it just prolongs a transition that in so many other ways is moving at lightning speed. But I'll get through it, and some day I'll just be the woman living at the end of the street. That'll happen for you, too, eventually.

- Stephanie

•  

KathyLauren

Thanks, ladies!

Well, Nova Scotia may be the land of free idiots, but at least they're nice. 

I went to the bank today to deposit the cheque that was made out to my deadname.  Rather than using the machine to deposit the cheque and having it come back at me, I went in to talk to the teller.

Picture this...  I am fresh from the electrocutioner, who has just finished frying my upper lip and a large swath of my cheek.  And because of the upper lip frying, I was at the dentist before that to have it frozen.  So here I am at the teller's wicket with three days of stubble around the edges of the area where the electrologist was working, a nasty rash over half my face, my upper lip immobile and grotesquely swollen.  And I am there to present a cheque bearing my deadname.  You couldn't ask for a more dysphoric setup.

"No problem,dear," she says, "Let me look you up. ... Here we go, we have all the details we need right here.  Shall I deposit it to your chequing account?"  She asked if I was aware of an unusually large balance in the account, so I told her it was there to cover the anticipated bill for some bathroom renovations.  So we proceeded to chat about bathroom renos.  She wanted to know what we had done, and she had her own bathroom redone recently, too, and gosh the cost sure can add up fast, can't it? 

Just a nice chat between two women, in spite of the fact that I was obviously trans.

Yeah, I am very glad to be living where I do.  :)
  •  

steph2.0

Quote from: KathyLauren on March 06, 2018, 02:35:41 PM
Yeah, I am very glad to be living where I do.  :)

I must come and visit some day:

Stephanie

•  

KathyLauren

Quote from: Steph2.0 on March 06, 2018, 02:39:59 PM
I must come and visit some day:

Stephanie
YES!!  Yes, you must.  Put that license plate on the back of yer plane and they'll let you right in.   :D
  •