Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Kathy's journey

Started by KathyLauren, December 05, 2017, 05:19:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jayne01

Quote from: KathyLauren on May 20, 2018, 05:46:01 PM
Feeling some dysphoria today over my moustache.  A while back, I did several sessions of laser, the last one being 14 months ago.  I stopped over concerns that E was making my skin light-sensitive and that the laser was causing new freckles.  But, for the last year, I have been coasting with essentially no dark hairs on my face: when I grow it out for electrolysis, the white hairs haven't been terribly noticeable.

Until now.  As we all know, laser is not permanent, and the dark hairs have finally woken up again.  For the last few weeks, the shadow on my upper lip has been getting darker, even with the closest shave I can manage.  So it's time to get it zapped again (electrolysis).  Which means growing it out for three days, when it is already uncomfortably visible.  Aargh!

I've been doing electro for nearly a year and a half, probably close to 75 hours now.  I so wish it was done!  We are making progress.  My cheeks and neck are about a 180 grit instead of a 60 grit.  But there is still quite a way to go.
You and I are at the same stage with electrolysis. I am at approximately 75 hours also. The moustache and goatee area are the worse. There is so much hair there, and it's also the most sensitive area to zap, especially the middle upper lip. The good thing with electrolysis is that it is permanent. Whatever gets zapped won't be coming back, so hang in there.

I learnt something interesting about electrolysis at my last session. Apparently there is a technique to remove grey hairs without killing the follicle and the hair grows back with colour. My electrologist has a client she has been treating 2 or 3 times a year for years. She zaps the grey hairs on her head with a reduced power setting and the hair grows back with colour. This client is a cis woman in her 60's without a grey hair on her head and no hair dye.

Hugs,
Jayne
  •  

KathyLauren

Quote from: Jayne01 on May 20, 2018, 08:50:58 PMThe moustache and goatee area are the worse. There is so much hair there, and it's also the most sensitive area to zap, especially the middle upper lip.
I have a very understanding dentist, so I actually like getting my lip done, because I feel nothing!

QuoteApparently there is a technique to remove grey hairs without killing the follicle and the hair grows back with colour.

OK, that's weird!  I know that's not what's happening here, because she cranks up the wattage to max for that area, to the point where she has to be careful not to cook my skin.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

LizK

Quote from: KathyLauren on May 20, 2018, 05:46:01 PM
Feeling some dysphoria today over my moustache.  A while back, I did several sessions of laser, the last one being 14 months ago.  I stopped over concerns that E was making my skin light-sensitive and that the laser was causing new freckles.  But, for the last year, I have been coasting with essentially no dark hairs on my face: when I grow it out for electrolysis, the white hairs haven't been terribly noticeable.

Until now.  As we all know, laser is not permanent, and the dark hairs have finally woken up again.  For the last few weeks, the shadow on my upper lip has been getting darker, even with the closest shave I can manage.  So it's time to get it zapped again (electrolysis).  Which means growing it out for three days, when it is already uncomfortably visible.  Aargh!

I've been doing electro for nearly a year and a half, probably close to 75 hours now.  I so wish it was done!  We are making progress.  My cheeks and neck are about a 180 grit instead of a 60 grit.  But there is still quite a way to go.

I have run out of money for Electrolysis at the moment but I have very little left anyway. I did buy a facial epilator that I used with excellent results to remove the small amount I currently have. The majority is vellus hair with the odd second or third growth beard hair. I had a great result with laser and have found a certain amount of the dark stuff has never returned but I still have a few hairs left that I treat every once in awhile.

I will go back to Electrolysis to just finish off the stragglers. The grow out for me was always the hardest part but you will get to the point that even with a three or 4 day growth it will be very difficult for anyone to see any beard growth. It was taking me 7 days to get it long enough when I finally finished up with my electrologist.

I am not sure what 180 grit or 60 grit is but 120 difference sounds like a real improvement? Hang in there and I am sure it will happen for you. Dysphoria sucks no matter what the cause and it never a good day when you are feeling it.

Take Care

Liz

Liz 
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

KathyLauren

Quote from: ElizabethK on May 21, 2018, 09:17:09 PM
I am not sure what 180 grit or 60 grit is but 120 difference sounds like a real improvement?
Grades of sandpaper.  Yes, there is a real improvement, but it's still sandpaper.

I was at the electrocutioner today, with a fresh dental block for the pain.  I actually fell aslepp during the electrolysis!  She said she has has clients fall asleep before, but never while doing the upper lip.  We were having so much fun that we went half an hour over my appointment time.

The 'stache should be good for another couple of months.

Now I'm sitting here with an ice pack on my lip to bring the swelling down.  On the way home from my appointment, I stopped for gas and a much-needed bathroom break.  If anyone had mentioned my fat lip, I was all set to tell them that my boyfriend smacked me.  >:-)  Well, I probably wouldn't have, but the thought occurred to me.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

Jayne01

Nice going with the falling asleep, Kathy. The dental block sounds like it works well, how long before it wears off? 1.5 hours sounds like a long time. I can't wait to be done with the electrolysis. Now that I am starting to see real progress, with an end in sight, I want it to be finished already!

Jayne
  •  

KathyLauren

Quote from: Jayne01 on May 22, 2018, 05:36:33 PM
Nice going with the falling asleep, Kathy. The dental block sounds like it works well, how long before it wears off? 1.5 hours sounds like a long time. I can't wait to be done with the electrolysis. Now that I am starting to see real progress, with an end in sight, I want it to be finished already!

Jayne
The dentist was finished with me at 1:55.  I was at the electrologist by 2:20, and we finished at 3:45.  So it lasted at almost full strength for nearly two hours.  There was one patch under my right nostril that was starting to wake up, but still numb enough that she didn't have to stop.  It took until about 7:00 for all the freezing to come out.

The hard part is synchronizing the appointments.  The dentist is doing this on the side, at no charge to me.  So she tries to fit me in between paying appointments.  There is no guarantee that she can see me when we plan to.  I need to give her enough time to freeze me up good, which takes about 15 minutes, and leave enough time to have a bathroom break (not optional; thanks, spiro!) and then drive 20 minutes to the electrologist.  But I can't leave too much time between the appointments or the freezing will start to wear off in the most sensitive areas before the end of the electro session.  It got a little dicey today, and I was 5 minutes late for the electro session.

Still, having that hair gone, even if it is only for a few months, is worth the effort.
  •  

Donna

Nice Kathy. One day the last little pesky hair will die and you will be free of them. Hope the lip feels better soon
December 2015 noticed strange feelings moving in
December 2016 started to understand what my body has been telling me all my life, started wearing a bra for comfort full time
Spiro and dutastricide 2017
Mid year 2017 Started dressing and going out shopping etc by myself
October T 14.8 / 456
Came out to my wife in December 2017
January 2018 dressing androgenes and still have face hair
Feb 2018 Dressing full time in female clothing out at work and to friends and family, clean shaven and make up
Living full time March 1 2018
March T 7.4 / 236
April 19th eligard injection, no more Testosterone
June 19th a brand new freshly trained HRT and transgender care doctor for me. Only a one day waiting list to become her patient 😍

[/
  •  

Jayne01

I have been lucky enough to cope without freezing my face so far. I will keep pushing the envelope until I can't take it anymore. Although, my last session was much less sensitive than previously. Maybe the new growth coming through is easier to kill.

Quote from: KathyLauren on May 22, 2018, 06:20:20 PM
Still, having that hair gone, even if it is only for a few months, is worth the effort.
Yeah, it's a nice feeling to feel fine sandpaper instead of the course stuff. One of these days it won't be sandpaper at all.
You and I are at about the same stage with our progress. I'll race ya to the finish line....[emoji12] (just kidding!)

Jayne
  •  

KathyLauren

On Friday, we are going to the town where my wife's parents lived, for her father's memorial service.  (He died in January, but the burial of the ashes was delayed until spring.)  There will probably be about 50 people there.  My wife is not close to all of them, so some will know about me and some won't.  Some are serious church-goers, and some aren't.

It's going to be interesting.  From looking over my wife's "cheat sheet" on who is who and what they're like, there's probably only one guy I need to be careful of.  I'm sure no one will be overtly rude (she said hopefully).  We are invited to a cousin's house afterwards, so I'll have to be sociable.  I don't do well in social settings of more than four people.

We both want to wear skirts, but the weather may make slacks more practical: it's supposed to be cool and showery.  We aren't wearing all-black, which is a relief.  I like being colourful.

I'm a bit nervous, but I am optimistic that all will be fine.  Worst case, we'll mess with a few people's heads, which can be fun.  Of course, I will report back on how it went.
  •  

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: KathyLauren on May 23, 2018, 05:39:46 PM
On Friday, we are going to the town where my wife's parents lived, for her father's memorial service.  (He died in January, but the burial of the ashes was delayed until spring.)  There will probably be about 50 people there.  My wife is not close to all of them, so some will know about me and some won't.  Some are serious church-goers, and some aren't.

It's going to be interesting.  From looking over my wife's "cheat sheet" on who is who and what they're like, there's probably only one guy I need to be careful of.  I'm sure no one will be overtly rude (she said hopefully).  We are invited to a cousin's house afterwards, so I'll have to be sociable.  I don't do well in social settings of more than four people.

We both want to wear skirts, but the weather may make slacks more practical: it's supposed to be cool and showery.  We aren't wearing all-black, which is a relief.  I like being colourful.

I'm a bit nervous, but I am optimistic that all will be fine.  Worst case, we'll mess with a few people's heads, which can be fun.  Of course, I will report back on how it went.

Kathy:   Wishing you well on Friday....   seeing hometown people that have known you as your old male self can be quite nerve-wracking for sure.    Just ignore any rudeness, hold your head high and move on.   Having your wife with you will be a good thing but be certain that you can be aware if she is getting any rude comments directed at her because of you....   that would not be good for the rude person.... being punched by a trans-woman in a dress.
Hugs,
Danielle

****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures

Started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old & Single
Email: northernstargirl@susans.org
  •  

KathyLauren

Quote from: Alaskan Danielle on May 23, 2018, 05:54:37 PM

Kathy:   Wishing you well on Friday....   seeing hometown people that have known you as your old male self can be quite nerve-wracking for sure.    Just ignore any rudeness, hold your head high and move on.   Having your wife with you will be a good thing but be certain that you can be aware if she is getting any rude comments directed at her because of you....   that would not be good for the rude person.... being punched by a trans-woman in a dress.
Hugs,
Danielle
Thanks, Danielle. 

It is not my home town.  While I have met a couple of these rellies as my old self, most will be strangers to me.  They will know that my wife married a man, and will find out that that is no longer the case.

As for doing any punching, my wife is a bit of a dragon lady.  She has nice fangs, and can take care of herself and look out for me without working up a sweat.  You are right, it would not be good for the rude person!
  •  

KathyLauren

I have gotten the impression that people here, being so polite, are afraid to talk to me about my transition.  So I've been kind of on the lookout for conversational opportunities to raise the subject myself.

Today at community coffee, the conversation drifted to how having kids at a later age was not a good thing, and some wished they had had their kids at a younger age.  (We were at the women's end of the table, so an all-female discussion.)  After everyone but me had voiced their agreement, I dived in.  I told them that, when I started on hormones, the doctor had warned me that it would make me sterile, and was I okay with that.  I told them that my response was, "At 62 years of age, believe me, I am SO okay with it!" 

A mildly amusing anecdote that fit in with the subject.  But, more to the point, it let them know that I am okay with talking about my transition if they have questions.  They immediately wanted to know how estrogen affected me emotionally, commented on how nice my skin was, etc.

It felt good.  I don't want to feel like I am hiding any more, and I don't want others to think that either.
  •  

Donna

Kathy you just keep On being you. You don't have any reasons to doubt yourself or your reasons. It's just great to be natural about the whole thing. Enjoy the chats and if you help even one more person understand it's a win all around
December 2016 started to understand what my body has been telling me all my life, started wearing a bra for comfort full time
October T 14.8 / 456
Feb 2018 Dressing full time in female clothing out at work and to friends and family, clean shaven and make up
March T 7.4 / 236
June 19th a brand new freshly trained HRT and transgender care doctor for me. Only a one day waiting list to become her patient 😍

[/
  •  

Anne Blake

Quote from: KathyLauren on May 24, 2018, 11:46:48 AM
I have gotten the impression that people here, being so polite, are afraid to talk to me about my transition.  So I've been kind of on the lookout for conversational opportunities to raise the subject myself.

........  I told them that, when I started on hormones, the doctor had warned me that it would make me sterile, and was I okay with that.  I told them that my response was, "At 62 years of age, believe me, I am SO okay with it!" 

A mildly amusing anecdote that fit in with the subject.  But, more to the point, it let them know that I am okay with talking about my transition if they have questions.  They immediately wanted to know how estrogen affected me emotionally, commented on how nice my skin was, etc.

It felt good.  I don't want to feel like I am hiding any more, and I don't want others to think that either.

Kathy, good move in bringing up the topic, especially in a woman's only group discussion. In the three years of transitioning that Deb and I have been journeying through, very few friends are open or risky enough to ask for specifics. While I definitely don't want to dominate conversations focusing on myself and appreciate their sensitivity on such a touchy subject, I am surprised that so many folks aren't willing to express their curiosity about such major changes going on in our lives. I hope that you have opened the door enough with these ladies to allow them to continue the dialog and their education. Please keep us up on any progress on this front.

Tia Anne
  •  

Donna

I have found the opposite. I've had lots of questions from a true willingness. I have had three questions that flat out were offensive but I'm too happy to care about those people hurting my feelings
October T 14.8 / 456
March T 7.4 / 236

[/
  •  

KathyLauren

Quote from: KathyLauren on May 23, 2018, 05:39:46 PM
On Friday, we are going to the town where my wife's parents lived, for her father's memorial service. 

Well, it was a good service.  It poured with rain right up until the end of the ceremony.  There was a social gathering afterwards.

I met a whole mess of my wife's cousins, a couple of whom I'd met before as my old self.  Everyone was polite, most were better than polite.  The pastor was a young-ish fellow and seemed happy to chat with me. 

Nobody mentioned my transition in any context.  So, a total non-event.  Nothing to report.

•  

JudiBlueEyes

Quote from: KathyLauren on May 25, 2018, 06:21:51 PM
So, a total non-event.  Nothing to report.

Great!  Isn't that the way it's suppose to be?
Judi
But now old friends they're acting strange
They shake their heads, they say I've changed
Well something's lost, but something's gained
In living every day.
  •  

KathyLauren

Quote from: JudiBlueEyes on May 25, 2018, 08:41:50 PM
Great!  Isn't that the way it's suppose to be?
Judi
Absolutely!

The boob fairy may have been sparing in her physical gifts to me, but she has been generous with the ease of my transition, a much more valuable gift.  I feel like I am leading a charmed life.
  •  

HappyMoni

Quote from: KathyLauren on May 24, 2018, 11:46:48 AM

Today at community coffee, the conversation drifted to how having kids at a later age was not a good thing, and some wished they had had their kids at a younger age.  (We were at the women's end of the table, so an all-female discussion.)  After everyone but me had voiced their agreement, I dived in.  I told them that, when I started on hormones, the doctor had warned me that it would make me sterile, and was I okay with that.  I told them that my response was, "At 62 years of age, believe me, I am SO okay with it!" 

Kathy,
   Hi Hon! I have found that I no longer want to talk about my transition as I once did. After all the time of secrets, it was once all I wanted to talk about. Now I am more comfortable leaving it an unemphasized topic. The only downside to this is, if someone knows or suspects I am trans, it is isolating and stiffling to conversation. People don't ask any questions for fear of asking the 'wrong' question. I also don't throw it out there for people since if they think I am cis, I don't get freakin misgendered. My patience for that is at an end. Good to see you doing so well.
Moni
If I ever offend you, let me know. It's not what I am about.
"Never let the dark kill your light!"  (SailorMars)

HRT June 11, 2015. (new birthday) - FFS in late June 2016. (Dr. _____=Ugh!) - Full time June 18, 2016 (Yeah! finally) - GCS June 27, 2017. (McGinn=Yeah!) - Under Eye repair from FFS 8/17/17 - Nose surgery-November 20, 2017 (Dr. Papel=Yeah) - Hair Transplant on June 21, 2018 (Dr. Cooley-yeah) - Breast Augmentation on July 10, 2018 (Dr. Basner in Baltimore) - Removed bad scarring from FFS surgery near ears and hairline in August, 2018 (Dr. Papel) -Sept. 2018, starting a skin regiment on face with Retin A  April 2019 -repairing neck scar from FFS

]
  •  

Jayne01

Hi Kathy,

I'm just catching up on everyone's threads after being away for a few days. I'm glad the memorial was a non-event with regards to you being trans.

I know what you mean about people being so polite that the are often afraid to ask questions. As you know, my wife is from around your part of the world and every time we go back to visit, we are surprised at how polite (over polite?) people are. Especially coming from a big city. Nice work with helping to break the ice to make others more comfortable talking about your transition at the community coffee.

Hugs,
Jayne
  •