Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Kathy's journey

Started by KathyLauren, December 05, 2017, 05:19:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steph2.0

Quote from: KathyLauren on October 11, 2018, 08:24:34 AM
LOL, he's some dude that crashed the wedding.  [emoji2] 

Yes, I stopped cutting my hair in about 1984, and wore it in a ponytail right up until it came time to stuff it under a wig.  The longest I ever had it was about shoulder length.  That was a function of growth rate and follicle lifetime, not of scissors.  And yes, that should have been a clue.

I stopped cutting mine about '98, when I realized that the hippies I worked for couldn't care less. The owner and president himself sported a ponytail. Mine would grow about halfway down my back. And yes, I knew exactly what I was doing. It was always tied back in public, and always loose when the curtains were closed.

The thought of cutting it makes me a little nauseous, but I'm going to try a shoulder-length feminine cut and see how I like it, now that I have hope that'll grow back out again.

By the way, a friend of mine had resigned herself to wearing wigs the rest of her life, then bought one of those laser caps, and no longer wears one. She swears by it and highly recommends it (no, she doesn't sell them). I may get one when I have the $400 and see if it helps with regrowth and density. The doctor who will be doing my grafts at Facialteam also recommends those caps, along with platelet rich plasma (PRP) treatments. He does neither of those procedures, so he seems believable.

Stephanie

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

Faith

well, you wouldn't want to accident sit on your cap, that's for sure. You'd get arrested for hairyassment.

Kathy, you always look good but I am struggling to find you in that recent photo.
I left the door open, only a few came through. such is my life.

•  

steph2.0

Quote from: Faith on October 11, 2018, 09:49:07 AM
well, you wouldn't want to accident sit on your cap, that's for sure. You'd get arrested for hairyassment.

Well, I could say something that would be TMI, but instead I'll just groan and throw a rotten tomato or two.

Stephanie

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

Jayne01

Happy anniversary Kathy! Congratulations for reaching 15 years and wishing many many more.

Hugs,
Jayne
  •  

Donica

Don't you just hate it when dudes keep crashing weddings?

Hugs Kathy!
Donica.
Rebirth 06/09/2017. HRT 08/22/2017. RLE 07/14/2018. Name and Gender change 10/19/2018. FFS 09/06/2019. GCS 05/26/2021.
  •  

Karen

Just catching up Kathy. 

I can't wait to hear about your letter...   

Happy anniversary.  Wow 15 years can change a lot.   I love your reference to your wife!    She sounds amazing.   What has the journey been like for her?   My sense is you have been a big part of her story given the gratitude and care you show all of us?

Big hugs

Karen
Karen

* felt different like I did not fit, with strong feminine feelings and gender questions my entire life
* Sept 2016 - January 2017 real began to seriously question and research gender
* August 2017 friend explains transgender and gender vs sexual orientation, and immediately felt shock and begin to believe I maybe transgender
* March 2018 after 3 therapists, accepts I am transgender and am transitioning
* July 18, 2018 began HRT
* Feb 4, 2019 began Estrogen
  •  

KathyLauren

Quote from: Karen on October 13, 2018, 06:46:15 AM
Just catching up Kathy. 

I can't wait to hear about your letter...   

Happy anniversary.  Wow 15 years can change a lot.   I love your reference to your wife!    She sounds amazing.   What has the journey been like for her?   My sense is you have been a big part of her story given the gratitude and care you show all of us?

Big hugs

Karen
Thanks, Karen. 

Yes, I can't wait to hear about my letter, too.  (*fingers drumming*)  It wasn't in the mailbox yesterday.  Hopefully Monday.  I have an appointment with my HRT doc on Tuesday, originally scheduled to discuss alternative sources for my second letter when it looked like a long wait for it.  If I have it in my hands on Tuesday, then we can talk about moving forward with my application for GRS.

My wife is amazing.  :D  My coming out to her was a total surprise: she didn't see it coming.  Yet, within the first minute, literally, she said, "Whatever you decide to do, I will support you."  She takes the "for better or for worse" part of our marriage vows literally.  In her view, she did sign up for this, even though she didn't expect it.

She was a little weirded out by becoming a "lesbian" through no choice of her own.  I don't think she identifies as lesbian herself, though she totally owns that we are a same-sex couple.  She has fun with it, and we often hold hands when out and about.  She gets as much of a kick out of the two of us being addressed as "ladies" as I do.

Surprisingly, we don't talk a lot about this stuff.  So I can't really tell you how it has been for her.  I know that she has gotten good support from her email friends, as well as from attending the "+1" meetings of the support group.

She has stood by her word and supported me every step of this journey.

Hugs.
Kathy
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

Jessica

Quote from: KathyLauren on October 11, 2018, 07:51:07 AM
Today is Wendy's and my 15th anniversary.  I never thought, 15 years ago, that I'd be where I am today, and she had even less idea.  But, clearly, I chose well, because my wife has stuck by me on this remarkable journey.  I love her more than words can say.

Just for giggles, here is our wedding photo:

Happy anniversary to you two!  My, things do change for the better sometimes.  I hope for continued love between the both of you.

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce.  If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere."

•  

Donica

Oh I'm sorry I missed that Kathy. Happy 15th anniversary you two.

Donica.
Rebirth 06/09/2017. HRT 08/22/2017. RLE 07/14/2018. Name and Gender change 10/19/2018. FFS 09/06/2019. GCS 05/26/2021.
  •  

Karen

Quote from: KathyLauren on October 13, 2018, 07:15:22 AM
Thanks, Karen. 

Yes, I can't wait to hear about my letter, too.  (*fingers drumming*)  It wasn't in the mailbox yesterday.  Hopefully Monday.  I have an appointment with my HRT doc on Tuesday, originally scheduled to discuss alternative sources for my second letter when it looked like a long wait for it.  If I have it in my hands on Tuesday, then we can talk about moving forward with my application for GRS.

My wife is amazing.  :D  My coming out to her was a total surprise: she didn't see it coming.  Yet, within the first minute, literally, she said, "Whatever you decide to do, I will support you."  She takes the "for better or for worse" part of our marriage vows literally.  In her view, she did sign up for this, even though she didn't expect it.

She was a little weirded out by becoming a "lesbian" through no choice of her own.  I don't think she identifies as lesbian herself, though she totally owns that we are a same-sex couple.  She has fun with it, and we often hold hands when out and about.  She gets as much of a kick out of the two of us being addressed as "ladies" as I do.

Surprisingly, we don't talk a lot about this stuff.  So I can't really tell you how it has been for her.  I know that she has gotten good support from her email friends, as well as from attending the "+1" meetings of the support group.

She has stood by her word and supported me every step of this journey.

Hugs.
Kathy

So nice.  What an amazing team you are!

Thinking of you!

Karen
Karen

* felt different like I did not fit, with strong feminine feelings and gender questions my entire life
* Sept 2016 - January 2017 real began to seriously question and research gender
* August 2017 friend explains transgender and gender vs sexual orientation, and immediately felt shock and begin to believe I maybe transgender
* March 2018 after 3 therapists, accepts I am transgender and am transitioning
* July 18, 2018 began HRT
* Feb 4, 2019 began Estrogen
  •  

Autrement

Kathy, this is great! Congratulations, this is very inspiring.

Pascale
  •  

KathyLauren

Thank you to everyone who posted congratulations on our anniversary. :)

Yesterday, our neighbours, who had a baby four months ago, invited us over for tea to meet the baby.  We have hardly seen them since the baby shower, since they have been understandably busy and tired.  It was good to catch up.

Our neighbours are lesbians, so it was an all-girl session.  It was especially affirming for me, being included in the graphic descriptions of the birth process that would never have been discussed if there was a man in the room!

The baby, by the way, is super-cute, with a smile to die for.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

Donica

Wow! That's great news Kathy. It's always big news when a new life is brought into the world.

Girl or Boy?

Donica.
  •  

KathyLauren

Progress to report.  I still don't have the letter in my hands, but I had an appointment with my HRT doctor, who will be coordinating my surgery and recovery.  Without the letter, the meeting is a bit premature, but the letter is immanent.  (I made the appointment a month ago to discuss a plan B, when it looked like it would be another year before I got my second letter.  It was easier to keep it than to make a new one.)

So, I filled in the application form for insurance funding.  As soon as the second letter comes in, she will sent the whole package off to the insurance people.  Apparently, their replies are coming quickly now: weeks, instead of months.  With their approval, she will send the application off to Dr. Brassard's clinic.  She said not to expect a reply from them in less than three months.  Brassard's waiting list is currently about 12 months, though I do hear from time to time of people getting in quicker if there is a cancellation.

My doctor said that she doesn't think I will need an attendant when I go to Montreal.  The main purpose of an attendant is to carry luggage on the return journey.  Since I won't have a lot of luggage, it shouldn't be too hard to get cabbies, porters and airline staff to help with that.  She has another client who has physical and mental disabilities, who went on their own and had no difficulties, in spite of having the full-depth procedure.  I will be getting the zero-depth procedure, and I am in excellent health, so I should expect to be in better shape than that client when I return.

TL;DR
I signed the form and pressed the "start button" on my surgery application.
  •  

Northern Star Girl

@KathyLauren
Dear Kathy:
WHAT???  NO LETTER YET???    ???
In your previous postings you promised us all that you would have the letter ASAP!!!   ;)

Well, certainly the good news is that you are getting all of your ducks lined up in a row so things are progressing basically as you were hoping that they would. 

As you and your doctors are rightfully concerned about lifting very much weight post surgery... please, just be very careful... you do not want to strain anything that you have waited so long to have fixed.  Please don't take any unnecessary chances... do not lift anything much over 20 pounds are the orders that I heard from my doctors when post surgery precautions are discussed.
At the airport you can easily arrange to have one of the airline personnel shuffle you and your luggage around in one of those motorized carts and even get priority boarding.  It may be best to make that arrangement well before you get to the airport on your return voyage.

Please, as you are doing, keep your followers updated... we are you biggest fans and supporters.
By the way, you are looking very beautiful in your recent pictures.... you have experienced  a lot of terrific changes.

Thank you for sharing and posting.
Hugs and well wishes,
Danielle 
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures

Started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old & Single
Email: northernstargirl@susans.org
  •  

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: KathyLauren on October 13, 2018, 06:08:24 PM
Thank you to everyone who posted congratulations on our anniversary. :)

Yesterday, our neighbours, who had a baby four months ago, invited us over for tea to meet the baby.  We have hardly seen them since the baby shower, since they have been understandably busy and tired.  It was good to catch up.

Our neighbours are lesbians, so it was an all-girl session.  It was especially affirming for me, being included in the graphic descriptions of the birth process that would never have been discussed if there was a man in the room!

The baby, by the way, is super-cute, with a smile to die for.

@KathyLauren
Dear Kathy:
Yes, certainly congratulations to you on your Anniversary... the "old" past picture that you recemt;u posted of you and your wife kinda looked like you...  but no more!!!  Happy Anniversary, and many more to come.

Yes indeed, getting accepted into the "circle" of all-girl conversations is so very affirming.

Back last Spring I was invited to a baby shower with about a dozen other women, some in attendance were my good friends...  and my Suitor#4 was there and she sat next to me.   
One of the women that I had just met in the group during the refreshment time asked me who my husband was and did we have children... she had no idea that I was not a cis-female.  #4 who was standing next to me poked me in the ribs and had a big grin on her face when I was asked that by the woman...

These kinds of all-girl events are an exciting thing to experience, and Kathy, as you stated, the conversations that took place would not have happened if there were a man there.   Very affirming and confidence building for sure.

Thank you for sharing this...  I am glad that you posted your all-girl experience.
Hugs and hugs,
Danielle

****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures

Started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old & Single
Email: northernstargirl@susans.org
  •  

KathyLauren

Thanks, Danielle.  :)

Quote from: Alaskan Danielle on October 16, 2018, 12:57:49 PM
WHAT???  NO LETTER YET???    ???

That's what I said!  Well, all my ducks are lined up, so when it comes, I'll fax it in and the show will be on the road.

do not lift anything much over 20 pounds are the orders that I heard from my doctors

My doc said 10 lbs.  I'll go with the lower number, so no worries there.  I'll get luggage with wheels, and I'll get someone else to do any lifting.  After waiting 64, maybe 65 years to get my kitty, I intend to take good care of her!
  •  

Jayne01

The process has commenced! How very exciting for you Kathy. The letter is on its way, so I hope it does not cause any delays in the process. Congratulations on pressing "GO"!

Hugs,
Jayne
  •  

steph2.0

•  

JudiBlueEyes

Wonderful news Kathy.  Another step closer!!
Judi
But now old friends they're acting strange
They shake their heads, they say I've changed
Well something's lost, but something's gained
In living every day.
  •