Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Surgery and massage

Started by HappyMoni, December 09, 2017, 05:02:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

If you had surgery, did the surgeon recommend messaging scars areas?

No, not needed
No, wish they had
Yes, doubt it was useful
Yes, I think it helped with final result
Other

HappyMoni

Hi, I have had a few surgeries and my surgeons have not recommended messaging the areas for scars. On my facial surgery, I developed keloid, raised areas along some scars by my hairline and at my ears. I was interested in other people's experiences.
Moni
If I ever offend you, let me know. It's not what I am about.
"Never let the dark kill your light!"  (SailorMars)

HRT June 11, 2015. (new birthday) - FFS in late June 2016. (Dr. _____=Ugh!) - Full time June 18, 2016 (Yeah! finally) - GCS June 27, 2017. (McGinn=Yeah!) - Under Eye repair from FFS 8/17/17 - Nose surgery-November 20, 2017 (Dr. Papel=Yeah) - Hair Transplant on June 21, 2018 (Dr. Cooley-yeah) - Breast Augmentation on July 10, 2018 (Dr. Basner in Baltimore) - Removed bad scarring from FFS surgery near ears and hairline in August, 2018 (Dr. Papel) -Sept. 2018, starting a skin regiment on face with Retin A  April 2019 -repairing neck scar from FFS

]
  •  

Cindy

Interesting and I think it would be great to get input from any physiotherapists on the forum

I have/had massive scarring and oedema from my throat surgery, the oedema was enough to prevent me turning my head or even looking up and down. I was told to massage continually and to exercise the areas under physio guidance, I was also recommended to have laser pulse therapy to reduce the scarring but that didn't happen.

I have worked very hard on all of that and the oedema is massively reduced and the scarring is nowhere near as raised. It is very visible but I literally had my throat cut from ear to ear and peeled up to my chin, so it is a little more drastic than most facial surgery.

•  

Laurie

I've had 3 surgeries that have left scars on my stomach. Scars are no big deal for a fat older man. There are at least 3 small ones of about an inch from laparoscopic instruments. Another cross-ways down about the bikini line  where they removed my kidney. The last one goes from belly button up to sternum complete with staple scars on either side left from a Whipple procedure where about half of my pancreas and some other miscellaneous parts were removed. The two large ones itched like crazy so I did rub them but I was not given any instructions to massage or do anything other than let the heal. None of them are raised and they are soft and pliable.
  Hmmm I wonder if I can pass the one off as a cesarean or hysterectomy scar if I ever get the rest of the plumbing changed over? If I don't then it really doesn't matter does it?
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

echo7

I had FFS and yes, my surgeon recommended massaging the scars.  I believe it made a noticeable impact in reducing the appearance of those scars.  The scar along my hairline is practically invisible.

Consider breast augmentation surgery, a very common surgical procedure.  If you do a google search, you'l find that all of the post-op instructions say that you should massage the breast often, in order to reduce the formation of scar tissue.  The same applies to any surgery scar, including those from FFS.  Massaging will help reduce the formation of underlying scar tissue and raised scars. 
  •  

Megan.

I have some large scars hip-to-hip and waste up to sternum from my tummy tuck. Using Silicone gel or dressings has been proven to help scar recovery and reduce the size or formation of keloid.
I was advised many years ago to massage a scar I have on my leg after a racing accident.

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk

•