Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

FFS with Drs. Kleinberger & Shih (formerly Dr. Roop Gill), Kaiser NorCal

Started by Michelle_P, December 23, 2017, 12:42:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Another Nikki

glad to hear there's no complications and michelle is on the mend!
"What you know, you can't explain, but you feel it. You've felt it your entire life—that there is something wrong. You don't know what it is, but it's there like a splinter in your mind, driving you mad. It is this feeling that has brought you to me."
  •  

Donica

Laurie! You are an angel for helping Michelle through her recovery and giving us the wonderful updates on her progress. I'm so glad everything went well. Your description of Michelle's appearance her first night at home has me shaking in my pumps. Onward to a speedy Michelle!

Hugs,
Donica.
Rebirth 06/09/2017. HRT 08/22/2017. RLE 07/14/2018. Name and Gender change 10/19/2018. FFS 09/06/2019. GCS 05/26/2021.
  •  

Donica

Dear Michelle! I hope my questions are not too soon after your FFS as I know you are in recovery and need your rest. If I may ask? Am I going to have to file a grievance with Kaiser SoCal to get an appointment for my FFS? I have already requested FFS through my therapist well over a month ago and haven't herd anything yet? He has told me that FFS and many other transgender medically necessary procedures are now covered under Kaiser Senior Advantage Plus. Also, I'm in the middle of facial hair removal (Only 5 hours in) and was wondering what you did? Or did you already complete facial hair removal before getting your FFS?

Wishing you a speedy and successful recovery Michelle!
Hugs,
Donica.
Rebirth 06/09/2017. HRT 08/22/2017. RLE 07/14/2018. Name and Gender change 10/19/2018. FFS 09/06/2019. GCS 05/26/2021.
  •  

Michelle_P

Quote from: Donica on September 03, 2018, 12:03:14 PM
Dear Michelle! I hope my questions are not too soon after your FFS as I know you are in recovery and need your rest. If I may ask? Am I going to have to file a grievance with Kaiser SoCal to get an appointment for my FFS? I have already requested FFS through my therapist well over a month ago and haven't herd anything yet? He has told me that FFS and many other transgender medically necessary procedures are now covered under Kaiser Senior Advantage Plus. Also, I'm in the middle of facial hair removal (Only 5 hours in) and was wondering what you did? Or did you already complete facial hair removal before getting your FFS?

Wishing you a speedy and successful recovery Michelle!
Hugs,
Donica.

Donica, there is a closed Facebook group I recommend called: "Transgender Care Via Kaiser - Proud To Be Transgender (P2BT)" started by Kaylie Love.  If you are a Facebook user, this is a must-join group for Kaiser MtF patients.  Many have been down this exact path with Kaiser SoCal.

Your therapist should have filed a recommendation for FFS.  You will almost certainly have to contact Member Services yourself to get this moved along, emphasizing that it is medically necessary care (which your therapist should have certified in the recomendation) and "timely access to care" which means it is Not OK to park this on a administrators desk for a few years in the hopes of a loss mitigation due to patient becoming uncovered (you leave Kaiser, die, or age out).

A grievance is filed through the Member Services website.  For our issues emphasizing the medically necessary nature of the care and need for timeliness are the big points.  I repeatedly emphasized my public speaking and training activies, and the loss of business due to my obviously being trans, and the consequent impact on my life. 

I had about 220 hours of hair removal via electrolysis done prior to surgery.  No electrolysis was done in the month before surgery to mitigate the risk of a skin infection that would have cancelled the surgery.  I used an electric clipper once several days before surgery to get rid of the worst, and avoided shaving, as any nicks, cuts, or sore spots would have cancelled the surgery.  (The surgeon goes over this in the preop instruction sheets.)

I did about 4 hours of electrolysis a week in the year before surgery, dropping to 2 hours/week early this year as I ran low on hair, and to one hour a week in July.  I will restart in late September, and based on an evaluation them we will come up with a new schedule.
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

Donica

Quote from: Michelle_P on September 03, 2018, 06:03:45 PM
Donica, there is a closed Facebook group I recommend called: "Transgender Care Via Kaiser - Proud To Be Transgender (P2BT)" started by Kaylie Love.  If you are a Facebook user, this is a must-join group for Kaiser MtF patients.  Many have been down this exact path with Kaiser SoCal.

Your therapist should have filed a recommendation for FFS.  You will almost certainly have to contact Member Services yourself to get this moved along, emphasizing that it is medically necessary care (which your therapist should have certified in the recomendation) and "timely access to care" which means it is Not OK to park this on a administrators desk for a few years in the hopes of a loss mitigation due to patient becoming uncovered (you leave Kaiser, die, or age out).

A grievance is filed through the Member Services website.  For our issues emphasizing the medically necessary nature of the care and need for timeliness are the big points.  I repeatedly emphasized my public speaking and training activies, and the loss of business due to my obviously being trans, and the consequent impact on my life. 

I had about 220 hours of hair removal via electrolysis done prior to surgery.  No electrolysis was done in the month before surgery to mitigate the risk of a skin infection that would have cancelled the surgery.  I used an electric clipper once several days before surgery to get rid of the worst, and avoided shaving, as any nicks, cuts, or sore spots would have cancelled the surgery.  (The surgeon goes over this in the preop instruction sheets.)

I did about 4 hours of electrolysis a week in the year before surgery, dropping to 2 hours/week early this year as I ran low on hair, and to one hour a week in July.  I will restart in late September, and based on an evaluation them we will come up with a new schedule.

Thank you so much for the valuable information Michelle!! Yes, I am on Facebook and will definitely join the group. I was hoping I wouldn't have to jump through all the Kaiser hoops but as you said, It is very medically necessary and most certainly need timely access to care. I don't want to become another statistic of violence. whether or not FFS will lessen that possibility, it will certainly give me more confidence in myself.

In following your thread I now understand I may be looking at a year before I get an appointment and if so, that would be the one year mark of my RLE. But least I will have some 200+ hours of hair removal behind me. My therapist did give me the phone numbers for the "Transgender Care Nurse Coordinators". I will start calling them today as well as  Member Services.

Thanks Again. Wishing you a speedy and successful recovery Michelle!
Lots of hugs girl!
Donica.
  •  

Michelle_P

Surgery + 7 days!

It's been one week.  We did the daily dressing change, and unlike last week (ER run!) or even a few drops on the inner bandage a few days ago, there was no bleeding and just small traces of oozing fluid on the inner bandage. 

The bruises on the face are fading, and I am developing a lovely shade of yellow on my cheeks.  It's... colorful...

I'll give the head incision a few more days to knit, and probably on Thursday try to soak the matted blood out of the hair, with warm water, peroxide, gauze sponges, and lots of time.   Friday I will go to my followup appointment for unstapling, removal of some stitches and hopefully lose the nasal stabilization stuff.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
  •  

reborn

Even bruised and covered in dressings you look very feminine and pretty. The good news is that it is too late now for serious complications. So far your surgery is a success and please keep us updated.

xxxxxxxxxxxx
  •  

Michelle_P

Surgery +8 days

I spent a couple hours in the shower washing out old blood from my hair. Hydrogen peroxide spray bottles strongly recommended, along with a good slippery conditioner! 

Most of it is gone or broken up and the rest will be gone in a few days. There were no signs of infection or fresh blood.

I'm enjoying stealing a few hours from the mummy costume. I'm hoping I can lose the wraps on Friday. The bruising is there but fading slowly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

•  

Jessica

Better and better everyday!

Hugs and smiles from Minneapolis 🌸🌸🌸

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce.  If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere."

•  

steph2.0

Quote from: Michelle_P on September 05, 2018, 06:43:04 PM
Surgery +8 days

Oh my gosh, Michelle! It's so easy to see that the results are going to be wonderful! ❤️

Stephanie

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

reborn

The results are amazing. You already look 100% woman. Is that your natural hair or a wig? If it is a wig it looks great
  •  

Donica

Wow!!! Look at those big happy smiles. You are looking better and better every day Michelle. I caught up with you on FB. I glad to see you in such high spirits.

Hugs girl!
Donica.
  •  

Another Nikki

"What you know, you can't explain, but you feel it. You've felt it your entire life—that there is something wrong. You don't know what it is, but it's there like a splinter in your mind, driving you mad. It is this feeling that has brought you to me."
  •  

Michelle_P

Thanks!  I'm feeling better.  The inevitable numbness and swelling is irritating, as are the compression wraps, but I'm hoping to be doing better this afternoon.

I have a postop +10 appointment for staple and suture removal today.  I'll post how that goes.

•  

Kendra

You're really close to that point where bruising vanishes and then the subtle changes are fully visible - and amazing.  The change is already so great, having been through this I can see past the bruises and much of your swelling is gone.
Almost there!! 
Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •  

Michelle_P

Postop +10

The staples and stitches on the scalp and for the upper lip lift are gone. Still some swelling which will subside a bit over the next weeks, but some of which will be here for a year.

The bruises are just masked with the usual cosmetics.

The dissolving stitches for the blepharoplasty and septorhinoplasty are still here, but not intrusive. The dissolving stitches in the mouth for the jaw surgery are starting to break down and all looks healthy.

•  

Donica

Quote from: Michelle_P on September 07, 2018, 04:43:12 PM
Postop +10

The staples and stitches on the scalp and for the upper lip lift are gone. Still some swelling which will subside a bit over the next weeks, but some of which will be here for a year.

The dissolving stitches for the blepharoplasty and septorhinoplasty are still here, but not intrusive. The dissolving stitches in the mouth for the jaw surgery are starting to break down and all looks healthy.

Oh my Michelle! You look fabulous. And only 10 days. That's building my confidence. I didn't realize you can start using makeup that early. That's absolutely wonderful news Michelle.

Lots of hugs girl.
Donica.
  •  

Michelle_P

Quote from: Donica on September 07, 2018, 05:00:31 PM
Oh my Michelle! You look fabulous. And only 10 days. That's building my confidence. I didn't realize you can start using makeup that early. That's absolutely wonderful news Michelle.

Lots of hugs girl.
Donica.

The makeup guidelines include nothing on or near the eye lift or lip lift sutures for two weeks, and nothing on the nose that might cause any pressure (including scrubbing) for three weeks.  There aren't any other facial incisions, just discoloration in otherwise untouched areas that I used corrector and a concealing foundation on.

•  

Kendra

You look so great already!  Bet you're glad to be past the most challenging hours and days. 

You are now living in your future. 
Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •  

SailorMars1994

Quote from: Michelle_P on September 07, 2018, 04:43:12 PM
Postop +10

Like what I am seeing :)
AMAB Born: March 1994
Gender became on radar: 2007
Admitted to self : 2010
Came out: May 12 2014
Estrogen: October 16 2015
<3
  •