Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

FFS with Drs. Kleinberger & Shih (formerly Dr. Roop Gill), Kaiser NorCal

Started by Michelle_P, December 23, 2017, 12:42:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michelle_P

And, the first of the bills has arrived...  For the hospital, 9 hours of OR time and one night's stay:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

Donica

Oh my! That's 3 time the total amount I read about in another forum. This does go toward your annual out of pocket right? My hospital stay per day is $250 and total annual out of pocket is $4400. Thank you for sharing this and please share what happens next?

Donica.
Rebirth 06/09/2017. HRT 08/22/2017. RLE 07/14/2018. Name and Gender change 10/19/2018. FFS 09/06/2019. GCS 05/26/2021.
  •  

steph2.0

Quote from: Michelle_P on September 19, 2018, 04:13:46 PM
And, the first of the bills has arrived...  For the hospital, 9 hours of OR time and one night's stay:

Oh... wow. The quoted costs for my facial surgery are a fraction of the total gross on your bill, but with my "insurance" I have to pay it all, and go out of the country to make it even close to affordable. This was Kaiser Permanente? I don't think that's available to me.

Stephanie

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

Michelle_P

The amounts are supposedly the "usual and customary" charges. Then the HMO insurance side pays a discounted amount, and I have to pay my copay and deductible.

I'm at the Max Out Of Pocket amount already and won't owe anything additional.

By the way, that bill doesn't include the "professional" charges for the surgeons and anesthesiologist.  Yow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
  •  

Sarah1979

Michelle, may I ask how you chose your FFS surgeon? I think after HRT and a bunch of electrolysis, this is the next step I'll need to take in my transition.
  •  

Laurie

She hasn't received my bill for services rendered covering 10 days. And I do not accept insurance!
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

Michelle_P

Post-op +21 days.

There is still a little bit of bruising, fading away.  The sutures in the mouth are breaking down, and the swelling on the jawline is slowly decreasing.  The jaw is not tender any more, but the left Masseter muscle is still a bit sore.

Here's me with a cosmetic cover-up over the bruises.

•  

Michelle_P

Quote from: Laurie on September 19, 2018, 08:41:48 PM
She hasn't received my bill for services rendered covering 10 days. And I do not accept insurance!

Uh oh...  Honey badgers!  To the ramparts!

Quote from: Sarah1979 on September 19, 2018, 06:57:52 PM
Michelle, may I ask how you chose your FFS surgeon? I think after HRT and a bunch of electrolysis, this is the next step I'll need to take in my transition.

Drs. Kleinberger and Shih work for Kaiser NorCal, and happened to be the default surgeons for this within Kaiser.  Dr Kleinberger trained under Dr. Jeffery Spiegel of Boston, a very good FFS surgeon.  His technique makes relatively subtle changes, avoiding the obvious "You've had work done!" look.  I preferred the more subtle changes, partially as they will age better, as well as look better now on an older woman. (I'm 64)  The drawback is that he had an extraordinarily long waitlist, and was doing 40-50 FFS patients a year.

I filed a grievance and was shifted to another surgeon new to the system in the Sacramento office.  I was evaluated and put in the queue to be scheduled in a few months when the doctor suddenly left Kaiser.  With all of the Sacramento doctor's patients left hanging, Kaiser granted Dr Kleinberger more Operating Room hours, and added many patients, including me, to his queue.  I was scheduled for August 28, 2018, much better than the old estimate of mid-2019.

•  

steph2.0

Quote from: Laurie on September 19, 2018, 08:41:48 PM

But I've heard that you do accept alternate forms of payment...

Stephanie

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

Faith

Quote from: Steph2.0 on September 20, 2018, 07:59:23 AM
But I've heard that you do accept alternate forms of payment...
Stephanie

Fridge Chocolate !!!

You know, when you're scrounging around the house and can't find any. You look on top of the fridge and there is that bit of leftover chocolate with the wrapper all peeled up and waving. Who cares if it's a little whiter than it used to be. That chocolate is worth it's weight in gold ... well, maybe not, but still .. :D
I left the door open, only a few came through. such is my life.

•  

Michelle_P

•  

Faith

I left the door open, only a few came through. such is my life.

•  

Laurie

Quote from: Faith on September 20, 2018, 10:00:08 AM
I just gained 10 lbs

Not really Faith. Her servings will only add 3lbs.. If I dished it up you might gain 15....

yes they were good.

Hugs,
  Laurie
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

Donica

Rebirth 06/09/2017. HRT 08/22/2017. RLE 07/14/2018. Name and Gender change 10/19/2018. FFS 09/06/2019. GCS 05/26/2021.
  •  

Donica

•  

Veronica J

Quote from: Michelle_P on September 19, 2018, 04:13:46 PM

Holy , my gah.. and no surgeon costs.. hmm this is gonna be tougher than i thought.. i have a budget less than that .. and wow.. just plan wow.. surgical costs certainly have gotten out of control in USA/NA
  •  

Michelle_P

Quote from: Veronica A on September 20, 2018, 05:04:31 PM
Holy , my gah.. and no surgeon costs.. hmm this is gonna be tougher than i thought.. i have a budget less than that .. and wow.. just plan wow.. surgical costs certainly have gotten out of control in USA/NA
Oh, this isn't the actual cost anywhere sane. These are the mythical ChargeMaster prices, not the actual agreed insured rates, or what a good FFS surgeon would have already negotiated.

Hospitals have something that they call internally the "Saudi Prince Problem". If an insanely wealthy person were unexpectedly admitted, what rate could be charged to soak as much cash as possible from a patient?  Seriously. Hospital administrators live in an interesting world.

The actual rate is negotiated between insurers and the hospital, or the independent FFS surgeons and hospital. This is much lower than the ChargeMaster rate.

Finally, I am already at the Max Out Of Pocket level for my insurance, so I won't be on the hook for copay or deductibles. Everything done is covered by insurance except the blepharoplasty on the left eye. (I wanted them even!). I paid that before I was admitted.

I did have quite a bit of work done but the charges from the better known FFS surgeons for all of this would be around $42,000 to $62,000 without insurance.

•  

Veronica J

Quote from: Michelle_P on September 20, 2018, 06:35:57 PM
Oh, this isn't the actual cost anywhere sane. These are the mythical ChargeMaster prices, not the actual agreed insured rates, or what a good FFS surgeon would have already negotiated.

Hospitals have something that they call internally the "Saudi Prince Problem". If an insanely wealthy person were unexpectedly admitted, what rate could be charged to soak as much cash as possible from a patient?  Seriously. Hospital administrators live in an interesting world.

The actual rate is negotiated between insurers and the hospital, or the independent FFS surgeons and hospital. This is much lower than the ChargeMaster rate.

Finally, I am already at the Max Out Of Pocket level for my insurance, so I won't be on the hook for copay or deductibles. Everything done is covered by insurance except the blepharoplasty on the left eye. (I wanted them even!). I paid that before I was admitted.

I did have quite a bit of work done but the charges from the better known FFS surgeons for all of this would be around $42,000 to $62,000 without insurance.

thats better, i am not covered here for any of that.. soo all out of my own pocket.. and like my max is arou d 60k all up for FFS..
  •  

Michelle_P

One month post-op, the bruising has almost vanished and the swelling is definitely reduced.

Things will continue changing slowly from this point on.

•  

Michelle_P

Here is a composite image of my pre-op appearance with my one month post-op (no makeup) images.  This might make studying the details of the surgery's effect easier.

•