Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

How to get started

Started by Ava LJ, December 26, 2017, 06:34:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ava LJ

So I'm starting to go out in full girl mode more often lately but one of my greatest sources of anxiety is that I look like an idiot when I try to wear makeup.

I'll want to get into the fancier stuff eventually but for now, I'm just looking for some quick simple formulas for people to slap on who don't really know what their doing. Maybe stuff like, what foundations to go with, what to pair with them to fix up your skin, mascaras, etc. I just want to learn an easy way to not look like a dollar store mime [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  •  

Jailyn

Honestly youtube!!!! There are so many talented girls on youtube that can show you great looks even on a bargain. This is where I spend time learning makeup, cause well I didn't get the luxury of being shown by my mother. She tried to show me at Thanksgiving and I am like um, no mom your makeup is dated. She was like what does that mean? I told her she hasn't updated her look for 40 years so old, lol! Along with telling me my style according to her sucked. That made me cry :( but, we are good!!! So yeah youtube looks that you are interested in lots of vids out there!!!!
  •  

Doreen

If you put on so much make up you look like a drag queen... you're going to look like a drag queen.  Unless you're going for extravagance, the 'simpler' look is much better, blends in.  Don't go for glaring 'Look she's got makeup!' go for subtle that enhances, but noone even really can say 'hey nice makeup'.   

The compliments I get are 'Wow you look nice today, did you do something different"?  Then I succeeded.  Also makes me feel like I look dumpy without it too lol!  A double edged sword for sure.
  •  

DawnOday

Moisturize you skin every day. Coconut oil is very good for this. Cover up beard shadow with orange lipstick. Get a mascara spoolie and some caster oil. Then before going to bed use the spoolie to apply the caster oil to your eyelashes. It will help them grow. Use all cosmetics sparingly. Use BB cream instead of foundation. Find a nice nude or pink lipstick. Always use an eyelash curler to open up the look of your eyes. Go easy on the eyeliner. I use clip on earrings with a ring to attach dangley earrings, no holes. You do not need to use black eyeliner and mascara. Try brown if you have light hair. Use some natural henna in your hair. It will make it soft and manageable. Feeling bold. use henna that will color your hair red from light to dark. Practice makes perfect. YouTube has many great tutorials.
Dawn Oday

It just feels right   :icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss:

If you have a a business or service that supports our community please submit for our Links Page.

First indication I was different- 1956 kindergarten
First crossdress - Asked mother to dress me in sisters costumes  Age 7
First revelation - 1982 to my present wife
First time telling the truth in therapy June 15, 2016
Start HRT Aug 2016
First public appearance 5/15/17

•  

LizK

I started with one element, Foundation....I found one I could afford and that was the right skin tone and I wore it often on its own until I was confident that I could apply it properly, I then moved on to Eyeliner, when I was confident with that I went for lipstick then blush. I did not move on to the next item until I was confident I could do it properly. Some things I got really quickly, some just took practice. Something I learned along the way was that expensive does not mean the best, I have a MAC Foundation that cost a bomb but I also have a 12 hour target brand one $5 that I use all the time because I like it better than the MAC and it wears as well.

I am no expert so Utube was a great help along with my wife  and I also have a book of basic techniques she bought me as a gift...it is great...not bothered if I drop it or spill anything on it unlike a phone or Ipad. It took maybe 6 weeks and the key for me was practice..."Less is more" is always a good motto
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

bubbles21

Hey,

here a few products that i would suggest if going for a daily look.

Light to medium coverage foundation - Fenty beauty foundation (This dries to a matte finish and looks like skin however if you have dry skin you may just have to put a primer or some cream on beforehand). Other foundations i've heard good things about that are more affordable are Maybeline FIT Me, Revlon Colorstay or L'Oreal Infallible.

Full Coverage foundation - Marc Jacobs Remarcable foundation or estee lauder double wear is medium to full depending on whether you build it or not, but estee lauder double wear has a beautiful finish and like fenty looks just like skin.

Mascara - Rimmel (Scandaleyes) + Maybeline (The Falsies) or a more expensive one is giorgio armani (Eyes to Kill).

Setting Powder - Coty Airspun transluscent (affordable) + Laura Mercier loose setting powder in transluscent (bit more expensive but considered the best).

Blush - I'd say go light on the blush for daytime looks. Revlon make good blushes + The most talked about one in 2017 is NARS blush in the shade 'Orgasm'.

Beard cover -  If you have to do a little correcting then MAC orange lipstick does the trick i think the shade is 'Morange' or a cheaper alternative is L.A. Girl Orange concealer which does the same thing.

Bronzer - NARS 'Laguna' is amazing (I use this currently and it is not too heavy but not too light, it gives the correct amount of shade and glow to your face without being orange lol. People also rave about Benefit 'Hoola'. Affordable option, Revlon Bronzer Sun Glow.

Lippies - you could go with any company lol, I like MAC and fenty beauty but L'Oreal does some good matte lipsticks and NARS do really good natural type lippies imo.

Setting Sprays -  2 of the best, MAC Prep +Prime (gets rid of excess powder and really makes your makeup and skin look amazing) and next, Urban Decay All Nighter setting spray is the most popular setting spray which makes sure your makeup stays flawless and doesn't move at all :)

You wont need all these on a day look lol but they are good to have in your collections. I think a simple routine would be:

1. Prep skin, wash exfoliate etc.

2. apply moisturiser (depending on your skin, if its dry then maybe be liberal, if it's combination or oily then apply less but always allow it to dry before putting product on your face bcz it'll make the products move if you don't)

3. beard cover if you need it apply light amounts of this on problem areas and a little trick is to set it with a setting powder (coty airspun or Laura Mercier) so it doesn't move and mix with your foundation. When putting powder over the beard cover make sure to take a larger makeup brush and just dust off excess powder, if you don't it can possibly make your foundation look cakey.

4. Take foundation and either dot it on your face or apply it to a sponge and then work it into your face (if you want lighter coverage use a foundation brush or beauty blender, more coveraage use one of the circle sponges and BLEND lol).

5. set your foundation with the setting powder (use a powder puff or powder brush).

6. take bronzer and apply around the perimeter of your forehead and along your cheekbone and jawline like you're drawing the number 3 (depending if you want that chiseled look, if not then just do the bronzer on the cheek bones, it will bring colour back into your face and balance out the look)

7. if you want, apply a tiny amount of blush on the balls of your cheeks i was advised to never to drag it up toward your temple as it masculinizes the face and you want the centre of your face to stand out.

8.Setting spray, this is a must if you are going to use setting powder, it gets rid of the excess powder and makes your skin look natural and glowing. A trick is to spray the outer areas of your face if you have oily skin bcz you want the centre to remain matte for oil control but if you dont have the oily skin issue then go for it with the setting spray lol This would be using the MAC prep and prime first to remove the excess powder and then use urban decay all nighter to set everything in place.

9. apply mascara, a light coating, you'll find that when applying a coat to your top lashes it will transfer to bottom lashes meaning you dont have to do the bottom which makes the eyes look more natural.

This prob sounds daunting but it took me ages to get the hang of makeup, trial and error is the key and knowing your skin type and skin tone. But when it all comes together in the end and it will it makes you feel fabulous  ;D If you dont want to do all i've said here then you could just do foundation, bronzer, mascara and lippy and you're good to go :)

Sorry this is so long. I hope it helps a little bit. My first time at make up was so scary. But yes as others have mentioned, Youtube is your best friend when it comes to learning about makeup  ;D

Kind regards,

B

Blossoming with my Happy Pills :)
  •  

Ava LJ

Quote from: ElizabethK on December 27, 2017, 12:09:30 AM
I started with one element, Foundation....I found one I could afford and that was the right skin tone and I wore it often on its own until I was confident that I could apply it properly, I then moved on to Eyeliner, when I was confident with that I went for lipstick then blush. I did not move on to the next item until I was confident I could do it properly. Some things I got really quickly, some just took practice. Something I learned along the way was that expensive does not mean the best, I have a MAC Foundation that cost a bomb but I also have a 12 hour target brand one $5 that I use all the time because I like it better than the MAC and it wears as well.

I am no expert so Utube was a great help along with my wife  and I also have a book of basic techniques she bought me as a gift...it is great...not bothered if I drop it or spill anything on it unlike a phone or Ipad. It took maybe 6 weeks and the key for me was practice..."Less is more" is always a good motto
Yeah that's what I've been doing most days (just a bit of foundation and mascara) my fear was that I was supposed to be pairing the foundation with something else for my skin but I think I just overthink things and get myself all worked up over nothing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  •  

LizK

I agree Over thinking it can be you worst enemy. Take your time as it really won't take long before you have a look and a routine that suits you. I can do my basic makeup for daytime outing in about 20 Minutes....I used to spend hours on it and probably looked like a caricature...

Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

Lucy Ross

Don't forget to get started on facial hair removal, preferably electrolysis, so you won't have to go through life slathering on this stuff with a trowel to cover up a beard.  Assuming you truly want to transition MTF. 
1982-1985 Teenage Crossdresser!
2015-2017 Middle Aged Crossdresser!  Or...?
April 2017 Electrolysis Time  :icon_yikes:
July 12th, 2017 Started HRT  :icon_chick:
  •  

V M

I just started by ordering small kits online and following the directions that came with stuff then experimented from there

Went pretty crazy with it for awhile but then decided the simpler "Less is More" looks seem to fit me best for everyday
but I also learned how to do the full boat smokin' hot night out looks without over doing it

It just takes a bit practice to find out what works for you  :icon_chick:

Hugs
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

bubbles21

Hey Ava,

Was just on youtube and seen this video and though of your thread here. Not sure if you've already seen it before but it has all the tips and tricks you could ever need when doing makeup and Alissa Ashley's YT channel is one of the better ones when it comes to actually explaining makeup application, products and techniques/tools and how to make it all come together.  ;D

Best wishes,

B
Blossoming with my Happy Pills :)
  •  

Allison S

Quote from: bubbles21 on December 30, 2017, 05:16:28 AM
Hey Ava,

Was just on youtube and seen this video and though of your thread here. Not sure if you've already seen it before but it has all the tips and tricks you could ever need when doing makeup and Alissa Ashley's YT channel is one of the better ones when it comes to actually explaining makeup application, products and techniques/tools and how to make it all come together.  ;D

Best wishes,

B
I love this video, very easy to follow and so flawless wow
She's great!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

•