News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Coming out post

Started by Pao, December 29, 2017, 06:19:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pao

Hey everyone,

So I posted just a bit ago on the "coming out" board. It occurred to me that quite a few of you might not check that one.

I could really use some other perspectives right now. I thought I would mention it here in hopes of a wider readership.

https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,232251.0.html
  •  

Kylo

You just have to remember people immediately react by wanting to preserve their own image of you and they don't necessarily think about the person to whom the image belongs, and how they are feeling and what they've had to live with. So don't feel guilty, because other people are just as selfish in their motivations for being upset about someone's transition. Which is what it sounds like your mother is feeling.

It takes time for the stuff to sink in.

Coming out wasn't relieving for me at all, if that helps any. It took about a year or two for people to forget about their concerns completely and initially I was treated with bemusement and indifference from most family members. But after a while they came round to it. If there's proof you always had problems in the past through your writing or your behavior etc. that can also help.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •  

Pao

Thanks so much for your reply. It is nice to know that I a man not some total freak about not feeling euphoria or jubilation after coming out. I was expecting to feel like a huge weight was lifted, but watching my mom cry, but try to hold it together was really tough.
  •