Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Cassandra's Tale - The Making of a Brave New Girl

Started by SassyCassie, January 08, 2018, 05:10:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SassyCassie

As some of you may have seen in my intro thread, I mentioned that I am, as of January 2017, about a year along in my transition. I kept a journal from the very beginning and will post the entries from it, one by one (over time, so as to not cause a deluge) in the days to come - up until I run out and the rest will be in realtime. I'll keep to the original text as much as I can with the exception of changing names to protect the innocent and other details that would be against the rules. For the shorter entries, or the ones that I wrote on the same day, I'll post them in groups.

Without any further delay, here's the first one from the day I had made my choice to start HRT. I'm not going to lie, I started out dosing myself for the first few months, mainly for two reasons - to see if what it was like and to see if I could handle it.

November 27, 2016
The order from {REDACTED} arrived yesterday. I took my first of the 90 {REDACTED} tablets I ordered. I also applied the first of the 8 {REDACTED} patches.

The first step is taken. So begins the journey.

December 1, 2016
Working remotely today. My chance to just put on some comfy clothes, enjoy my coffee and work from my comfy couch.

While browsing the Cat Protection Society website, and looking at pictures of the cats they shelter, I ran across something that caught my attention. It was a crayon drawing by a little girl of the cats in the shelter finding their forever homes. With almost no warning, my eyes went from misty to teary, to weeping and racking sobs that must have gone on about half a minute. After I recovered more or less and blew my nose, I momentarily thought I should have felt shame at the whole event. Instead, I felt as if a weight had been lifted from my shoulders. Maybe it was the therapeutic effect that crying has for people. I don't know. What I do know is that I felt not shame but joy - actual joy at such a free flow of *positive* emotion for a change, instead of rage or anger or any of the other highlights from the male emotional lexicon.

Is it the estrogen or the freedom of expression I've been building over the past several weeks? Maybe a little of both.

I'm writing this after the fact, actually on December 17th, after deciding I should have a diary in which to write these things down. I find it a surprise at not only how quickly I was to not only embrace something as (inherently, stereotypically?) feminine as keeping a diary but also how I seem to regard the idea as a no-brainer.

Maybe it's another format of "pressure-reliief valve" women have which I'm just starting to figure out.

I have soooo much catching up to do, but one thing at a time.

Baby Steps.

•  

Laurie

Hi Cassie,

Just thought I'd say, you are exactly on week ahead of me on hrt and started the same way. Cooooool.
  You're a bad girl I see. ;D

Hugs,
   Laurie
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

SassyCassie

December 17, 2016
Today, I thought about how I should tell her (my wife). I want to wait until after Christmas just in case her reaction is not a positive one. It hurts to keep this up but I'm afraid I could ruin what may be our last holiday together. I love her so much and want desperately to throw myself on her mercy and hope for the best but I have to wait. Yeah, I'm good at waiting, especially when something potentially unpleasant is at stake.

Instead, being tired anyway, I used that as an excuse to go upstairs and lay down. I read a bit more but was plagued with the thought of holding back the "Big Reveal". The more I thought about it, the more I felt the tears trying to come out. I wanted to feel this and it only took a little push (or release, maybe?) to pass the tipping point at which the real tears started to flow. I sobbed into the pillow for a few minutes, still not fully letting go because the downstairs door was open and I feared she might hear me and start asking questions I wasn't prepared to answer. Because of this, I held back what felt like could have been an avalanche of tears, but I think I really wished I could have just let go and wailed out loud for as long as I needed to. Because of that, I don't think this episode had quite the cleansing effect as the last one but I did feel a good deal better afterward.

I know that holding back like that is just out of decades of habit, so I can't really be too hard on myself for it. Maybe, hopefully some day I can be free to just feel what I need to feel.

Baby Steps.
  •  

SassyCassie

Quote from: Laurie on January 08, 2018, 05:26:30 PM
   Just thought I'd say, you are exactly on week ahead of me on hrt and started the same way. Cooooool.
  You're a bad girl I see. ;D

Yes I'm a bad girl, in some respects but I ended up doing the right thing after a while. Overall, I'm trying to be a better person in the other aspects of my life. I can't change the past but I can learn from it and try not to repeat it.
  •  

Laurie

You do know Stephanie is a bad influence? And that is even when she isn't flying high.

Laurie

•  

SassyCassie

December 18, 2016 - 9:53pm
Plans laid and plans ever changing.

We had originally planned to build our - basically, retirement home on our land up north. I hadn't even given any consideration to my current situation. Where we had planned to settle is one of those small towns with some kind of Baptist Church located about every 25 feet in any direction. At one point, I was confident that we could blend in with the people and culture there and have a happy retirement. Back then, I was still making what seems to be my last go of trying to be the type of person genetics had decided I was to be.

I love the peace and quiet of the rural areas, and especially the fact that people pretty much leave each other alone. That is, so long as one is seen as a reasonable fit for the community. Being seen as an outsider can provoke any of a number of negative reactions as evidenced by any societal group. They can talk all they want about being open but when the proverbial rubber hits the road, that's when reality sets in.

This is a fact not lost on her since I came out (sort of) to her as a cross-dresser in June or July of 2016. Since then, I have been wearing almost exclusively female clothing and jewelry around the house and in bed. It feels somehow comfortable - not so much in a sense that it feels good, but more that it feels *right*. I'm more at ease with myself this way and much more freely giving of affection.

The issue with where we had wanted to retire, is that I'm to a point that I don't want to hide myself any more. I've been testing the boundaries of what I can get away with as far as going out. I haven't been bold enough to go out fully dressed and made up but I have gone with the girls (breast forms) along to the bank drive-thru to make a deposit. From the third lane of the bank drive-thru, I figured there wasn't much chance of  being read, especially with a guy manning the window. Thankfully, guys don't pay much attention to gender perception. The irony of the situation is that if one is "read" by a woman in day-to-day activity, not much will really happen. However, being read by a guy can provoke any reaction from a brief raise of the eyebrows to an episode of ultraviolence. Guys don't like to be deceived, especially when it concerns orifices in which they would like to stick something. When they get the idea that there may be an available orifice of the kind they prefer, they are generally not able to handle the realization that the target they have selected does not have an available franchise of their "Preferred Orifice". The more "alpha" a male is, the more poorly (or, violently) they react.

I'm going off on tangents more rapidly than particles in a nuclear reactor right now, it seems. I started writing this stuff last night as a sort of an outlet and it seemed like a good and natural (dare I say, therapeutic?) thing. Throughout the course of this writing, I have gone through two glasses of fifteen-year-old single malt and am considering going a third because I'm actually enjoying this very much. Though this may only serve as reading material for some future version of me (who is hopefully addressed as ma'am) (Author's note: As that "future me", I am reading this and I do get addressed as "ma'am" now). I can remember times when I used to hate writing assignments back in school. Maybe it was because I had to stick to a single subject or something to that effect. Some assignments, I turned in a series of blank pages and yet others, when I can get started and just let the words flow, some kind of magic happens and I turn I to some kind of unicorn, farting the most eloquent, meaningful literary rainbow ever seen by a high school teacher. (Hey, if I don't toot my own horn, who will?)

All things considered, this is where I am now and I have a more clear idea of where I want...no, where I need to go. I can't hold it back any more.

December 18, 2016 - 11:10pm
The long hard road ahead.

Am I really, as the term-du-jour seems to be, best described as a trans-woman? I've been struggling with that concept (if not in those exact words) for a very long time and always explained it away to myself as a passing interest, a brief sexual thrill which ends at the moment of orgasm, allowing my "macho self" to reassert itself and cast away any of those "deviant" thoughts.

I've read some of the accounts of other trans-women who have run the entire gauntlet from conflicted feelings to realization to transition to the logical final step of surgery to correct whatever it is that genes or nature, or nature *and* genes couldn't get right. (You had ONE JOB, darn it! ONE, and you managed to foul it up anyway!)

Most of the accounts I've read so far  have described the author as so sure from early on who they are and what gender they are on the inside. I can't help but be more than a little jealous of some who started their transition early on in life and have come out of that situation as strong, confident women who basically took on the entire world and came out on top. Starting down the same path this late in life, I can only hope to fill a tiny fraction of their shoes (with my enormous feet). Still, as the saying goes, the best time to plant a tree is twenty years ago. The next best time is today.

This is my today.

(That last little bit was particularly moving to myself and I cried a little when I wrote it. I'm still getting used to the concept of how crying is more than just debilitating emotion that serves no purpose other than to get in the way. I feel like such a fool for having ever thought that but, like a lot in the philosophy department, we will only understand something  when we are ready to understand it. My only regret is,   naturally, that I couldn't understand it sooner but that is tempered with joy that I am growing to understand it now. Even that idea is making me tear up again, but I'm perfectly okay with that.)

I keep thinking back to a scene in the movie, "Short Circuit", in which Ally Sheedy tells Steve Guttenberg that he is "the dumbest smart person she ever met". When my thoughts drift in these directions, I feel like I have my own Ally Sheedy telling me just that.

December 18, 2016 - 11:58pm
So much to tell.

I've been tumbling all of this around in my head for a long time now - probably since the time when devices such as the one on which I'm writing this were merely the stuff of science fiction.

In retrospect, the subject line, "So much to tell" leaves a literary Grand Canyon sized gap to fill with words. My fault for choosing those words, so what the heck, I'll try and fill in  that gap with some eloquent language.

I started self-medicating with estrogen and finasteride  (a DHT blocker) about 21 days ago. I'm not sure why, but it just seemed like what I needed to do next. As far as transition goes, I may be going about the whole thing ass-backwards. I'm given to understand that the procedure generally involves talking to a psychiatrist who specializes in gender issues before (maybe) being officially diagnosed with gender dysphoria and prescribed hormones for transition to what is perceived to be one's true gender. Maybe I haven't taken that last step because I'm afraid I might instead be diagnosed as some kind of "gender tourist" who only skirts the boundaries between genders in order to satisfy some carnal desire and once the point of orgasm is reached, goes back to his "Regularly Scheduled Programming".

To have that exact situation unfold would, in my heart, be devastating. I want so much to not be the person I described above, but in my own biased opinion of myself, I can never be sure without some kind of outside affirmation. This is the age-old choice to be made between knowing for sure or remaining blissfully unaware of the world.

I believe it's once again time to make the choice between the red pill and the blue pill. It's time for me to take the red pill, I think. Ignorance is bliss only if you are a character in Shakespeare's play where your every thought, word, and deed is carefully mapped out for you to follow.

I feel like I want so desperately to go tumbling down the rabbit hole and see just how deep the rabbit hole goes. I have to go about it rationally though, in spite of the impulse to just dive in headfirst and deal with the consequences later.

I need to take Baby Steps.
  •  

SassyCassie

Quote from: Laurie on January 08, 2018, 05:41:40 PM
You do know Stephanie is a bad influence? And that is even when she isn't flying high.

Nonsense! Stephanie is a sweet innocent woman who is just expressing herself...I'm sure.:D
  •  

steph2.0

Quote from: SassyCassie on January 08, 2018, 05:59:20 PM
Nonsense! Stephanie is a sweet innocent woman who is just expressing herself...I'm sure.:D

Thank you ma'am. May I have another?

With friends like this, who needs enemas?

Stephanie

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

Cassi

Quote from: Steph2.0 on January 08, 2018, 06:08:26 PM
Thank you ma'am. May I have another?

With friends like this, who needs enemas?

Stephanie

Sometimes I think you are your own worst enema
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

steph2.0

Quote from: Cali on January 08, 2018, 06:11:07 PM
Sometimes I think you are your own worst enema

I'm going to curl up behind the fridge now.

- Stephanie

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

Cassi

HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

Laurie

I want to know how she got down. Cassie probable took pity on her and  helped.

Well, Cassie you are still doing pretty good at telling my story.

•  

steph2.0

Quote from: Cali on January 08, 2018, 06:28:37 PM
On top of dear, on top!

The tough love was starting to feel more tough than love. People could still see me on top and continue to abuse me, so I wanted to get out of sight. It was time to take a break.

•  

SassyCassie

Quote from: Laurie on January 08, 2018, 07:22:15 PM
Well, Cassie you are still doing pretty good at telling my story.

Based on the timeline in your signature, it certainly looks that way!
  •  

KathyLauren

Hi, Cassie.

I missed your introductory thread, but I am getting caught up now.  It is a pleasure to meet you and read your story. 

I'm the normal one around here.  (If my wife heard me say that, she'd burst out in hysterical giggles!  :D )

Kathy
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

SassyCassie

Quote from: KathyLauren on January 09, 2018, 08:00:32 AM
I missed your introductory thread, but I am getting caught up now.  It is a pleasure to meet you and read your story. 

I'm the normal one around here.  (If my wife heard me say that, she'd burst out in hysterical giggles!  :D )

Nice to meet you as well, Kathy!

I know what you mean! If I went around describing myself as "normal", at best I'd get odd looks from the people who know me the best. :D
  •  

SassyCassie

December 21, 2016 - 1:22pm
Simulation

For the longest time, I felt like I don't actually feel anything emotion-wise. As time went on, I felt like I've learned enough about interacting with people that I can know what emotion should be displayed and what words are proper to say. Like Rube in Dead Like Me said in one early episode: "I make my face look a certain way and words come out".

At some point in the mists of distant childhood, I remember having feelings. When I think about it, I can remember those feelings being stomped on by others if they were too visible. I had a few friends, to be sure, but for the most part, I was distrustful of others and kept a tight grip on any emotions that may be seen by others as an opportunity to do some stomping. Anger always broke through though, I guess because that was one of the few that was...expected? Allowed?

I must have gotten so used to maintaining that grip that when I got involved in  a serious relationship, every "I love you" came out sounding so hollow and disingenuous each time I said it. Still, it was expected during certain interactions, so I simply added that to the simulation that was me.

In the early 2000's, I adopted a kitten from Animal Control. He was tiny and sickly at first, but with enough care, he grew up to be a 25 pound teddy bear. Over the years, I found myself developing a genuine love for that cat. I thought it must just be some advanced form of the simulation working it's way into my brain and just went with it.

It wasn't up until recently that I've had cause to question that theory - that maybe this "advanced simulation" is the real me breaking free from  the prison it was rudely shoved into all those years ago. Because all of these emotions feel good and genuine, I want to be free to let everything out, for better or worse. This part of the female experience is one I want to fully embrace like a long-lost sister.

December 21, 2016 - 11:35pm
Procrastination

I keep looking forward with a mix of uncertainty and trepidation to the day I have the talk with her. I'm putting it off until after the holiday but I'm trying to be mindful of my own bad habit of delaying unpleasant things until they pass the "awkward" stage into "not gonna do it".

This is too important to let that happen.
I can't let it happen.
I won't.

•  

steph2.0

Quote from: KathyLauren on January 09, 2018, 08:00:32 AM
I'm the normal one around here.

A quiet snicker emanates from the top of the fridge

Hey Cassie, you should go with me to visit Kathy when if the weather warms up in Nova Scotia. She's got an observatory! And #stormchips!

Stephanie

•  

KathyLauren

Quote from: Steph2.0 on January 09, 2018, 09:26:49 PM
A quiet snicker emanates from the top of the fridge
Snickers bars don't count as real chocolate.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

steph2.0

•