Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

I need some advice for bratty dog.

Started by Julia1996, January 10, 2018, 12:36:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Julia1996

My dog has been acting out lately and I'm not really sure how to deal with it. She's always liked Tristan and I haven't had any problems with her. The problem now is that she seems to be upset about him moving in here. Tristan used to spend weekends with me and I would just put her in the hall and shut my bedroom door the two nights he spent here. She wasn't happy about it but she didn't act up over it. Now that he's moved in I can't keep her shut out of my bedroom all the time. Her little bed is in there and her toys. I tried making her sleep in her little bed but she won't.  She's used to sleeping in the bed with me. Tristan doesn't mind having her bed with us when we are just sleeping but she doesn't want him in the bed at all.  Twice now she has gotten on my bed during the day and peed on his side of the bed. She also seems to want to chew and destroy his stuff. She's never been a chewer even when she was a baby. And when he starts to go up stairs she races up there ahead of him and then stands in my doorway and growls if he tries to go into my room. She's always liked him but it's like she's jealous of him now. Does anyone have any advice for getting her over it? I don't know what to do. I've never had this problem before.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Faith

Until she gets used to it, not much other than discipline and no unaccompanied bedroom access.
doggy jealousy .. bad .. may take a while.  What you've described I've heard of it being that bad before, never experienced it to have to correct. Time may correct it on it's own, she has to learn to share.

Since she likes Tristan, maybe if he gives her a bit more attention than he normally would?
I left the door open, only a few came through. such is my life.

•  

Dena

As Cesar Millan would say,Tristan needs to become a pack leader. Your dog understands that you, your father and your brother are pack leaders and your dog is subservient to the three of you. Now that Tristan has become a part of the pack, you dog is attempting to assert dominance over Tristan. Tristan needs show dominance over your dog and when that happens, you dog will discontinue it's aggressive behavior. Cesar's show was great and while I haven't looked over the web site, you should be able to pick up some useful information from it.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

KathyLauren

In addition to the dominance thing, there's also a possessiveness component.  That is her bed, in her bedroom.  It's probably her side of the bed that Tristan sleeps on.  So she is responding to having her stuff taken away from her.  She is not pleased about losing what belongs to her, and she's going to let him know it, including placing her signature on it.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

steph2.0

Quote from: Dena on January 10, 2018, 01:51:38 PM
As Cesar Millan would say,Tristan needs to become a pack leader. Your dog understands that you, your father and your brother are pack leaders and your dog is subservient to the three of you. Now that Tristan has become a part of the pack, you dog is attempting to assert dominance over Tristan. Tristan needs show dominance over your dog and when that happens, you dog will discontinue it's aggressive behavior. Cesar's show was great and while I haven't looked over the web site, you should be able to pick up some useful information from it.

Exactly what I was going to say. The most effective thing Cesar does is take the dog for a walk on a leash, and keep her focused on moving forward. No pauses to sniff, etc. He has a little maneuver he uses if the dog loses focus. With the dog on the left, he uses his right foot behind him to nudge the dog with his toe. Nothing rough, just get the dog's attention and get it going again. If Tristan takes her for enough walks like that she'll eventually accept him as pack leader.

Cesar also uses a little hiss sound to snap the dog out of doing something wrong, along with using his hand like a dog's mouth to "nip" at the misbehaving dog, which is how dogs discipline each other.

Finally, the most extreme thing is to roll the other dog onto its back into submissive position and hold it there until it relaxes. Got to be careful with that one if the dog is aggressive.

Look up "Dog Whisperer" on YouTube. Hope that helps.

- Stephanie

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

Lady Sarah

You might want to let the dog know that Tristan is yours. Scold the dog. Actually yell at her. Then, have Tristan be super nice to her, so she knows Tristan is a friend. When she does not try to displace Tristan, reward her. It may take a while for her to adapt, but she will need to adapt.
started HRT: July 13, 1991
orchi: December 23, 1994
trach shave: November, 1998
married: August 16, 2015
Back surgery: October 20, 2016
  •  

V M

Have you ever checked out the Lucky dog with Brandon McMillan vid.s?

He's a professional dog trainer that has a method for just about any situation

Hugs
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

fairview

Imo, weak human leadership, lack of discipline not to be confused with physical punishment and the most importantly, all 4 paws must always remain in contact with the ground at all times. 

One of Caesar's go to statements in his shows that I fervently believe is that he does not rehabilitate dogs, he rehabilitates owners.  He teaches owners how to be a pack leader, how to maintain strong leadership and the difference between discipline and physical punishment.  I believe what he says when working with extremely aggressive or introverted dogs- Dogs live in the present.  Unlike humans they do not live in the past nor do they hold grudges.  They move on without hesitation. 

Possession is 9/10ths of ownership.  By allowing your pup on your bed, it has possession and ownership.  As the pack leaders everything belongs to you or another human and you can take it back at any given time and they must yield without objection because that is exactly the social hierarchy of the all dog pack.  When alpha moves from point A to B any subordinates between those points will yield and move for the alpha.  If a subordinate pack member has something alpha wants the subordinate will yield to alpha however alpha does not take it head on but rather approaches the subordinate from behind the front shoulder and nudges the other out of the way - just as Caesar does on the show.

Pack leadership is a language of very subtle nuances.  rarely is it physically aggressive or violent.  Learn that language and it will be possible to read your dogs body language and how to intervene with discipline before the dog is out of controll and nothing will work.  Another one of Caesar's technique.
  •  

Kylo

What to do depends on how privileged your dog is so to speak. If your dog is an obedient one, you might be able to train out of the behavior with mild punishments or even just a raised voice if you catch the dog doing bad stuff. If the dog sees itself as your equal or even superior, because your alpha status hasn't been established from early on with it, you're gonna have problems.

If expressing your displeasure to the dog doesn't work, take your dog's stuff out of the room and let her sleep in a different room for a while. Might only take a few days or weeks until she forgets and gets used to the new situation. Maybe.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •