Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Bari Jo's Corner

Started by Bari Jo, January 16, 2018, 10:04:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bari Jo

New topic.  It's been bugging me for a while, and I've been having difficulty bringing it up.  I will warn, this can be a trigger topic for some, but I'm trying to be open.  I don't want to be guarded on any topic any more, as I find isolating myself is destructive.  This has to do with the drug use and party atmosphere that I do see represented in a segment of the trans culture.  It might be an age thing, maybe the youth are into that.  Or it might be a big city thing, where it might be more acceptable.  I'm not sure.  I do know it bothers me and I have a very hard time socializing with anyone that does drugs or finds it acceptable.  This includes marijuana.

Some back story I suppose.  I have an uncle that has been doing pot nearly all his life.  He's actually a nice person, but he lacks any kind of motivation to make something of himself.  It's caused grief in our family since he can't hold a job and literally has gone from couch to couch with many family members.  I tried pot myself in college and found I did like the sensation in the moment, but realized very early on this wasn't for me.  It slows my thought process down, and I do not want that.  I like to make fast connections and weird connections.  caffeine works very well for that, thank you.

Another example of my history with this is I had an old roommate that insisted her drug use was medicinal.  She ended up giving an edible to my dog in one of her high moments, which nearly killed him.  To this day, if I have a renter, I make sure that they know it's a drug free house, and that means all drugs, even medicinal now.

So back to present, at group on Thursday, one girl brought up how she only had one ecstacy pill left and she wanted to use it to unwind, and everybody was sure, of course, who wouldn't.  Um, no.  I know this group is also a tight group socially sharing numbers and meets for gaming nights, etc.  When the meeting was over, I could not stay.  I'm sure they wanted to also include me in their circle, but I couldn't do it.  This is not for me in the slightest.

I'm thinking of dropping this as a support group (I currently go to three), mainly because of this kind of thing.  The moderator let the drug use talk continue for like 25 minutes too, with no guidance, only acceptance.  Ugh, I don't want to be the one that's not showing acceptance, but some things are destructive.

Some of you might think I need to loosen up, which is true.  I'm up-tight, but also am fairly well put together and successful.  I can tell you part of what made me this way, is not only not partaking, but also not associating.

So the question is, am I being too up-tight?  I try to be nice, friendly, but I'm afraid I'm considered stuck-up, or elitist.  Quite the contrary, I want to associate with all kinds of trans girls, all ages and backgrounds, but do want to limit it to non destructive behavior.

Anyway, this is occupying a large portion of my thoughts this weekend.  I thought I'd share and see what you girls think.  Oh, and this is being typed on my computer, not my phone.  I'm hoping there is a lot less auto-correct nonsense in the text and grammar.

Bari Jo
you know how far the universe extends outward? i think i go inside just as deep.

10/11/18 - out to the whole world.  100% friends and family support.
11/6/17 - came out to sister, best day of my life
9/5/17 - formal diagnosis and stopping DIY in favor if prescribed HRT
6/18/17 - decided to stop fighting the trans beast, back on DIY.
Too many ups and downs, DIY, purges of self inbetween dates.
Age 10 - suppression and denial began
Age 8 - knew I was different
  •  

KathyLauren

I share your discomfort with drug use.  I certainly wouldn't permit illegal drug use in my house.  Although I have been around where pot was being used, it made me very uncomfortable and I didn't partake even when it was offered to me.  I find people's excessive "friendliness" when using to be a bit creepy.

So I don't blame you for feeling the way you do.  The support group that I go to is the only one in a large area, so I'd have to think carefully if people were using there.  I think I would distance myself from them and might even quit altogether.  Since you have several support groups to choose from, I can totally see wanting to drop out of that one.

Full disclosure: While I may be the only old hippie of my generation who has never tried pot, I might try it once, when it is legalized, just for curiosity.  I still don't like to be around other users, though.  I don't like being around drunks, either.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

Cassi

I really didn't see much pot use prior to moving to Texas in 2013.  While there I met some people who did it and Texas is not a 420 friendly State yet.

When I moved to Nevada, I was blown away by the dispensaries and the different kinds of pot.  Researching the medical benefits was interesting too.

Back in high school pot was pot and you smoked the dried leaves.  If you wanted something different you'd smoke hash oil or hashish and THC was the key.

Nowadays, there's THC and CBC with CBC being the medical help portion.

I quit smoking cigarettes the last day of December 2016 and have no desire to return to smoking, cigarettes or pot and witnessing people smoking pot and watching them cough worse than smoking is something else.

I believe that smoking in your own home is your own business.  I have noticed that some who smoke all the time seem to lose their motivation though.
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

Megan.

Bari Jo, you're not being uptight, that's your position, and there is nothing wrong with defending it and living by it.
What happened to your dog was inexcusable, mistreatment or abuse of animals or children really angers me.

I'm an 'each to their own' person when it comes to use. I dabbled a little at university, but haven't used anything for a loooong time. I'm fine with others using, but that's just me [emoji5].

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk

•  

Jessica_Rose

I have never been a fan of legalized marijuana. I understand there are a few true medicinal uses, but making it legal for recreational use in my opinion was a huge mistake - and I live in Colorado. I have never used it, and I have no desire to ever use it. You are not being uptight, we should all be able to exist in a drug-free environment without having to make excuses or being self-conscious about it.
Journal thread - Jessica's Rose Garden
National Coming Out Day video - Coming Out
GCS - GCS and BA w/Dr. Ley
GCS II - GCS II and FFS w/Dr. Ley
FFS II - Jaw and chin surgery w/Dr. Ley
Hair - Hair Restoration
23Mar2017 - HRT / 16Feb2018 - Full Time! / 21Feb2019 - GCS / 26July2019 - GCS II / 13Oct2020 - FFS II
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot
  •  

Cassi

Quote from: Jessica_Rose on January 21, 2018, 03:24:25 PM
I have never been a fan of legalized marijuana. I understand there are a few true medicinal uses, but making it legal for recreational use in my opinion was a huge mistake - and I live in Colorado. I have never used it, and I have no desire to ever use it. You are not being uptight, we should all be able to exist in a drug-free environment without having to make excuses or being self-conscious about it.

Ok 420 Deportation Police, go get Jessica and ship her off to Texas!

Just kidding.  Totally agree with your "be able to exist in a drug-free environment"  and I believe most laws that have been enacted require pot use to be in the privacy of your own home.

Personally, I think it should be legal everywhere.  The other day my daughter bought some at a local dispensary.  The pot was 15 bucks I think but the taxes were just as much as the cost for the pot.

I believe one day the federal government will make it legal and tax the crap out of it.

I understand that they do drug tests and check to see if someone has it in their system and that it stays in your system longer than lets say alcohol.
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

Bari Jo

For me it's not the legality or illegality, it's the destructive behavior.  I know there are functional pot addicts, just like there are functional alcoholics.  I don't want to be around either, and find it odd that nothing was even mentioned about being destructive in a support group.  It's like the group condones it by omission.

I think I will drop this one.  I'm curious though, should I notify the moderator about the reason?

Bari Jo
you know how far the universe extends outward? i think i go inside just as deep.

•  

Cassi

Think it evolved into a debate type thread which probably would be moved?

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion I'm sure you'll agree.  Imagine how boring it would be if we all liked and thought the same. :)

HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

Bari Jo

Quote from: Cali on January 21, 2018, 04:25:23 PM
Think it evolved into a debate type thread which probably would be moved?

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion I'm sure you'll agree.  Imagine how boring it would be if we all liked and thought the same. :)

I really do not want this moved as it is part of what is making me Bari Jo and it is something that has given me serious thought during my transition.  I want to be able to see this in my thread years from now as part of my history.  That said, let's shelve debate and know that I respect everyone's opinion.

I will drop out of this group though.  I'm glad I'm in a fairly large area with lots of support groups.

Bari Jo

•  

Cassi

Just don't know.  Live & Let Live.  People's philosophies and beliefs can grab them so hard that they're not open to a different perspective.

HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

KathyLauren

Quote from: Bari Jo on January 21, 2018, 04:21:02 PM
I think I will drop this one.  I'm curious though, should I notify the moderator about the reason?
I think it would be helpful to tell the moderator.  They should know that assuming everyone is okay with it is a bad assumption and that some people find it alienating and unsupportive.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

Bari Jo

I'm cross posting mainly because this made me happy AND it's something I want in my history.  I love my new emotions.

I had a very nice phone call with my mom today.  We related well as mother and daughter, and discussed things like style, presenting and my love life.  By the end of the call she told me she loves me, and I told her I love her too.  Pre hrt, I never said that, it was always a me too, or talk with you later.  She thanked me and I think both of us teared up a little.

Bari Jo

•  

Jessica

Quote from: Bari Jo on January 21, 2018, 05:37:45 PM

I had a very nice phone call with my mom today.  We related well as mother and daughter, and discussed things like style, presenting and my love life.  By the end of the call she told me she loves me, and I told her I love her too.  Pre hrt, I never said that, it was always a me, too, or talk with you later.  She thanked me, andI think both of us teared up a little.

Bari Jo

That is so sweet!

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce.  If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere."

•  

Cassi

Quote from: Bari Jo on January 21, 2018, 05:37:45 PM
I'm cross posting mainly because this made me happy AND it's something I want in my history.  I love my new emotions.

I had a very nice phone call with my mom today.  We related well as mother and daughter, and discussed things like style, presenting and my love life.  By the end of the call she told me she loves me, and I told her I love her too.  Pre hrt, I never said that, it was always a me, too, or talk with you later.  She thanked me, andI think both of us teared up a little.

Bari Jo

Nice
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

Julia1996

I don't think you're being uptight at all. I'm young and I live in a big city but I have never tried any drugs. Not pot or anything else people like. My dad has always been very anti drug. When my brother and I were younger he did random home drug tests on us both. He's seen a lot of really bad things that happened because of drugs. This past summer my dad was involved in a rave bust. He said a girl my age had died from ecstasy. Ecstasy raises your body temperature. She was high and didn't even know she was overheating and she literally cooked her brain. Then there is spice, a synthetic drug that's supposed to be synthetic pot. My dad has answered a few calls about someone totally out of their mind on spice. The most recent one was a 15 year old boy who was running in circles naked on his front lawn.

If someone wants to use drugs that's their choice. But I don't want to be around anyone who does. If anything my dad has impressed on me that even hanging around people who use drugs can have very unfortunate consequences for me even if I haven't used them myself. The biggest thing is how everyone in a car gets arrested if the cops find drugs in the car. That was enough for me. Being arrested would be horrible enough but being a pre operative trans woman would be horrifying.  They strip search anyone busted for drugs. What a nightmarish thought!
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Thea

You're not being uptight at all, just being true to yourself and doing what's right for you.

I avoid drinkers and drug users for reasons of my own. I used to be a heavy, habitual one myself. I got sober three years ago and never want to go back.
Veteran, U.S. Army

First awareness of my true nature 1971
Quit alcohol & pot 10/22/14
First acceptance of my true nature 10/2015
Started electrolysis 9/12/17
Begun Gender Therapy 7/06/18
Begun HRT 8/01/18
Quit tobacco 11/23/18

•  

Roll

Being around drug use makes me uncomfortable as well.

(Went ahead and preemptively edited out the rest of my long winded nonsense. Normally I avoid the topic altogether, was in a weird exhausted but not tired state of mind after getting home. ;D It wasn't anything negative or anything, I'm stuck in a pure school state of mind at the moment for some reason, as my ranting stats posts around the same time show.)
~ Ellie
■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■
I ALWAYS WELCOME PMs!
(I made the s lowercase so it didn't look as much like PMS... ;D)

An Open Letter to anyone suffering from anxiety, particularly those afraid to make your first post or continue posting!

8/30/17 - First Therapy! The road begins in earnest.
10/20/17 - First coming out (to my father)!
12/16/17 - BEGAN HRT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
5/21/18 - FIRST DAY OUT AS ME!!!!!!!!!
6/08/18 - 2,250 Hair Grafts
6/23/18 - FIRST PRIDE!
8/06/18 - 100%, completely out!
9/08/18 - I'M IN LOVE!!!!
2/27/19 - Name Change!

•  

Laurie

:police:  Okay folks,  I have to weigh in here on the side of Susan's Place On the topic of marijuana use. The policy as set by Susan states..

QuoteHere is the policy on marijuana topics. Until it's no longer illegal to possess and use in the United States; irrespective of it's individual state status; it's a prohibited topic as there are specific web sites you can visit that specialize in that subject

I personally feel similar to Bari on the subject. But it is possible this discussion though not in support of it does discuss it's use. I will ask for a ruling on this discussion. Please refrain from further discussion until a ruling is made.

Laurie
Global Moderator
Laurie@susans.org
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

Allison S

I don't even really like alcohol anymore. Never used drugs. I think only you can decide what's best for you Bari Jo. I remember when alcohol used to numb my feelings and felt like an escape from reality. Now I face it. :)

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

•  

Cindy

:police:

I have had a rough day in a week from hell but I shall try to not let that influence me.

This is not a blog but it is a thread that Bari Jo started and writes her experiences in. People are free to comment. Bari Jo asked for debate on a topic to be dropped. I would expect that any civilised person would have the courtesy to do so.

I most certainly expect that any one in this Forum and who has been through and is going through the the lives that we are dealing with would do so.

Cindy

•