Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Jessica's Rose Garden

Started by Jessica_Rose, January 17, 2018, 08:38:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jessica_Rose

I should be happy today. The meeting for my coming out announcement is set for 11:30am MT on 16 Feb. I also received my permanent driver's license with my new name and correct gender marker, although the photo is hideous.

Last Friday I gave my best friend an expensive bottle of cabernet (cabernet's are her favorite) to show my gratitude for all of her help. Today she chewed me out for spending so much money on her, then questioned my decision to transition! There were a few other things she really criticized me for, and she did not say one thing positive all day. She knows I am coming out on Friday and that I need her support, and all I got today was sand in my face. It's hard to be happy when the one person you think you can count on trashes your whole day.
Journal thread - Jessica's Rose Garden
National Coming Out Day video - Coming Out
GCS - GCS and BA w/Dr. Ley
GCS II - GCS II and FFS w/Dr. Ley
FFS II - Jaw and chin surgery w/Dr. Ley
Hair - Hair Restoration
23Mar2017 - HRT / 16Feb2018 - Full Time! / 21Feb2019 - GCS / 26July2019 - GCS II / 13Oct2020 - FFS II
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot
  •  

Anne Blake

Hi Jessica,

That is really tough when friends bite you like that! But I guess that is why you have so many friends here on Susan's to hold you up.

And congratulations on both THE work coming out date and new drivers license.....big steps, wow!

Tia Anne
  •  

Jessica_Rose

Thanks Tia. Yes, having so much support from the folks here at Susan's can make a huge difference!

Today I received my replacement debit card with my new name!

I also thought about what happened yesterday. I realized that if I had gotten this upset before HRT I would have been punching walls and file cabinets, livid would be an appropriate word. Now I just feel sad and betrayed. I guess that is an improvement, at least I don't have to patch walls and replace file cabinets any more.

I have a meeting scheduled tomorrow morning with HR to discuss details of my coming out meeting. This is basically John's last week, after Friday I will be full-time Jessica, ready or not. I expect the reality of what I have done will probably hit me Monday, when Jessica goes to work for the first time and everyone gets to meet her. I simply cannot imagine the emotions I will experience that day.
Hair - Hair Restoration
23Mar2017 - HRT / 16Feb2018 - Full Time! / 21Feb2019 - GCS / 26July2019 - GCS II / 13Oct2020 - FFS II
  •  

HappyMoni

Maybe your friend was acting so weird because something is wrong in her life and took it out on you. possible?? Anyway, congrats on the debit card and a big congrats on going full time. I remember being nervous, but it went well and it becomes normal pretty quickly. I'm sure  it will for you too.
Moni
If I ever offend you, let me know. It's not what I am about.
"Never let the dark kill your light!"  (SailorMars)

HRT June 11, 2015. (new birthday) - FFS in late June 2016. (Dr. _____=Ugh!) - Full time June 18, 2016 (Yeah! finally) - GCS June 27, 2017. (McGinn=Yeah!) - Under Eye repair from FFS 8/17/17 - Nose surgery-November 20, 2017 (Dr. Papel=Yeah) - Hair Transplant on June 21, 2018 (Dr. Cooley-yeah) - Breast Augmentation on July 10, 2018 (Dr. Basner in Baltimore) - Removed bad scarring from FFS surgery near ears and hairline in August, 2018 (Dr. Papel) -Sept. 2018, starting a skin regiment on face with Retin A  April 2019 -repairing neck scar from FFS

]
  •  

Bari Jo

I can't believe you've come that far already Jessica.  I can't wait to hear how the coming out at work goes too.  That's going to be huge.  Sorry as bout your friend.  Hopefully she will see how lousy she was and apologize.  Yes, hrt has calmed me too.  I am hardly mad ever now.  Before I was a walking stress ball.

Bari Jo
you know how far the universe extends outward? i think i go inside just as deep.

10/11/18 - out to the whole world.  100% friends and family support.
11/6/17 - came out to sister, best day of my life
9/5/17 - formal diagnosis and stopping DIY in favor if prescribed HRT
6/18/17 - decided to stop fighting the trans beast, back on DIY.
Too many ups and downs, DIY, purges of self inbetween dates.
Age 10 - suppression and denial began
Age 8 - knew I was different
  •  

Jessica_Rose

I told my friend that I was going to forget Monday and write it off as a miscommunication or an overreaction, and the days since then have been fine. She did apologize for not supporting me, but I will be careful with her.

I had my meeting with HR today, and everything is set for Friday. They did ask me to make a few minor changes to my verbal announcement and the one I plan to email, but it was nothing that bothered me. The meeting is being billed as a 'team kick-off', since we just had a reorg no one is suspicious. There are two groups of people involved. The remote group has 6 - 7 people. The local group has 4 people (counting me), and 3 of them already know what is going on. The manager will ask everyone to introduce themselves even though we are already familiar with each other, and I will go last. Here is what I plan to say:

My name is... not what is used to be.

Something unexpected yet wonderful has happened. Today is a day I will always cherish. Any tears I shed are not tears of sadness, sorrow, or shame -- they are tears of happiness, joy, and relief.

Most of my life I knew something was wrong, but it was a feeling I could not easily describe. In my early teens social and family pressures forced me to suppress my feelings and emotions. I was unable to express who I am. This led to stress, confusion, frustration and anger that increased through the years. Although my life seemed normal on the outside, there was always a darkness hiding just below the surface. I can't remember how many walls I patched or how many things I destroyed out of anger. Most of you never saw this side of me, but my family suffered through it for decades. 

In December 2016 I finally found the source of my darkness. All my life I had been trying to live by a set of rules which weren't designed for me. I discussed this revelation with a doctor and a therapist and they both agreed. I am transgender.

I started this new phase of my life in March of 2017. Since then my cloud of darkness has dissipated, along with my anger. I know in my heart that I have finally found my path to peace and happiness. I will hide no more.

Today is my last day at this company. Although I will be back next week, 'John' will not. Over forty years of my life have been spent trying to hide the most beautiful part of myself because I was afraid of rejection, but now it is time to free my soul from the darkness and allow her into the light, and she will never go into hiding again.

Let me introduce myself, I am Jessica Rose xxxxxx. Thank you.

I wanted to keep the verbal announcement short in case emotions overwhelm me. The email note is longer and contains much more detail. I will post that tomorrow. I will ask everyone in the meeting to keep the information confidential until they see the longer email announcement, which will go out to 65 co-workers. I plan to leave the building as soon as I hit 'send'.
Hair - Hair Restoration
  •  

KathyLauren

That's pretty exciting, Jessica!  I like your prepared remarks.  I hope it all goes smoothly for you.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

Bari Jo

this is fantastic.  I can't wait to share in your joy from the reactions you will have.  Your prepared statement is great too.  I might have to borrow some if it for mine.  My group is 60 in the dept, but hundreds I interact with.  I'm scared of doing this, but you are showing me how to do it!

Bari Jo
you know how far the universe extends outward? i think i go inside just as deep.

•  

Laurie

Hi Jessica,

I also like the prepared text of your coming out. I'm sure it will all go well for you. We will be behind you in spirit Hun. It is one awesome step you will be taking. I'm proud of you.

Hugs,
  Laurie
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

Jessica_Rose

I don't think I could have made it this far, this quickly without the support of the awesome folks at Susan's. Anyone is welcome to borrow anything I post. We are all following in the footsteps of others, and hopefully those who follow us will find something useful from what we have learned. This really is a community.

A week or two ago I mentioned ordering some new address labels, but these list my wife's name first. They arrived yesterday. Although they were not the design I ordered, they are an acceptable floral design. My wife liked them, and that is what matters the most.

I also gave my wife two Valentine's cards, one from John, and one from Jessica Rose. She opened them while I was at work. I asked her later which card she liked best, and she said she liked them both. The one from Jessica Rose said 'What do you call two beautiful women in love?' The inside just said 'Us'. I also sent her a text message in the morning: 'My love for you is the same, no matter what my name. I will love you forever.' She gave me a card, but with no name. I was not offended. I know this has got to be hard for her, and I can see that she is trying. Hopefully as more time passes she will realize that this truly was the best option for both of us. At least we are starting to enjoy shopping together!

By the way, what is up with women's clothing sizes? I am 6ft 1in, 160lbs, approximately 39-29-39. How on earth do I wear a women's size 'XS' top? I bought some tops at Kohls, 'S' was too big, 'XS' fit perfectly.
Hair - Hair Restoration
  •  

Shy

Beautiful words Jessica, what a celebration of life.

I hope all goes well for you :)

Peace and love and all that good stuff,

Sadie
  •  

BrianaJ

Hi Jessica,

I really like your written statement to your coworkers.  Nicely done.  :-)  I think it will go well for you.

Regarding your wife, it IS very difficult for her.  We tend to forget that our spouses didn't "sign up" for this.  Definitely give her much time, understanding, support, and love.  ...But you know that already.   ;) 
~~Be kind~~
  •  

Jessica_Rose

Tomorrow is John's last day. Some time soon I expect the gravity of what I have done will finally hit me. I will mourn John, and thank him for keeping Jessica Rose safe for all of these years. He will always be a part of me.

As mentioned in yesterday's post, I will be sending out a much longer note to my friends and co-workers as soon as the meeting ends. There are 65 people in my address list, but I expect the note to be forwarded to many more. Here is the note I plan to send:

This is deeply personal, so please use discretion before forwarding this note. I am providing this information to friends and co-workers in the hope that it will help you understand my decision. I'm sure I missed a few, so don't be offended if you were not on my original list. As a courtesy to me, if there is someone outside of our company who needs to know tell me and I will contact them.

Today will be emotionally painful, yet it is a day I will always cherish. Something unexpected yet beautiful has happened, and it is time to tell you about it. Any tears I shed are not tears of sadness, sorrow, or shame -- they are tears of happiness, joy, and relief.

This month marks my 12th anniversary at this company. Through the years I have worked with many of you. After working together for so long you usually learn a lot about your co-workers, but there is something none of you know about me. Until a little over a year ago I was even hiding it from myself. Before then if anyone had suggested I would be on this path I would have laughed at them.

For most of my life I have known that I am different, but it was a feeling I could not easily describe. In my early teens social and family pressures forced me to suppress my feelings and emotions. I was unable to express who I am. This led to stress, confusion, frustration and anger that increased through the years. Although my life seemed normal on the outside, there was always a darkness hiding just below the surface. I can't remember how many walls I patched or how many things I destroyed out of anger. Most of you never saw this side of me, but my family suffered through it for decades.

In December 2016 I found a site where people shared their personal journeys. I was fascinated because I saw my life mirrored in so many of their stories: the pressure to conform, the growing frustration and anger. As I continued reading I had an epiphany -- I found the source of my darkness. I cried for the first time in years. I finally understood. All my life I had been trying to live by a set of rules which were not designed for me. I discussed this with a doctor and a therapist and they both agreed -- I have gender dysphoria. I am, and always have been, transgender.

I started this new chapter of my life March of 2017. Since then my cloud of darkness has dissipated, along with my anger. I know in my heart that I have finally found my path to peace and happiness. I will hide no more.

Today is my last day at this company. Although I will be back next week, 'John' will not. Over forty years of my life have been spent trying to hide the most beautiful part of myself because I was afraid of rejection, but now it is time to free my soul from the darkness and allow her into the light, and she will never go into hiding again.

Let me introduce myself, I am Jessica Rose xxxxxx.

There are not many things that can change someone's life more than switching genders, and I realize many of you will be curious. Please don't be shy, come over for a visit if you want. In many ways I am the same person I have always been, I have just had a few upgrades which have made me a better person. I am still working on my voice, and some of the emotions I experience are new to me, so please be patient.

As far as my name goes there are several acceptable options - 'Jessica', 'Jessie', 'Jess', or even 'Rose'. I am trying to make this easy by giving you four chances to get it right! I realize it may take a week or two to get used to using my new name, it will take me some time to get used to it also. One of the most hurtful things you can do when someone transitions is to use their old 'dead' name. It is a painful reminder of the tortured shell we are leaving behind, so please try your best. As long as you are courteous, use the correct pronouns, and eventually remember my new name, I will be happy.

I know there will be questions, so here are a few answers...

- I have the support of my family. They helped choose my name.
- My legal name is Jessica Rose xxxxxx.
- My driver's license indicates my gender as 'Female'.
- Asking about any surgeries is considered rude.
- This is a gender issue. It has nothing to do with sex or lifestyle.

I had a choice between growing angrier and more miserable every year, or allowing myself to find peace by letting the person I have always been come out of the darkness. It was a simple, yet terrifying choice. By choosing this path I knew I could lose everyone that I hold most dear -- my wife, my daughters, my family, and my friends. Try to imagine how much pain someone must be experiencing to make this choice knowing what could be lost.

I know this will come as a surprise to many of you. I also realize this is something difficult to understand -- it took me over 40 years to figure out. So please ask questions, I want to help people understand. If we can all show some patience and understanding (including me) it will help make this a smooth transition for everyone. Thank you.
Hair - Hair Restoration
  •  

Jessica_Rose

I did it! I am out at work! My initial post is here:

https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,234245.msg2092081.html#msg2092081

It was in the low 20's with intermittent snow today, but I knew it was going to be a beautiful day. Some of my local co-workers could not make the meeting, so the only ones there already knew. We were using a Skype 360 system for the meeting, and I sat on the side of the table so I could read my statement without seeing any of the remote folks (about 10). They could see and hear me fine. Once they got to me for an introduction and I said 'My name is not what is used to be', one of the remote folks laughed, and that really broke the ice for me. I was able to get through my announcement with only a few pauses, and no tears. My heart was pounding, but I did not feel nervous. Once I was done I broke into a smile. When the meeting was over I changed the name plate on my desk, sent my long email to my co-workers, then left the building. Everything went smoothly. Jessica can finally come out of the darkness now. Her first day at work is Monday!
Hair - Hair Restoration
  •  

Anne Blake

Well done Jessica, that must feel like a whole lot of weight off your shoulders! How are you going to celebrate?

Tia Anne
  •  

KathyLauren

Congratulations, Jessica!  What a relief it must be to have that over with, and to be able to get on with being yourself.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

steph2.0

That's so cool, Jessica. It's a huge milestone, and you handled it with class. Congratulations!

Stephanie

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

Bari Jo

Jessica, this is sooo awesome.  I'm so impressed with the ease and drive you have in moving forward!  You are a force to be reckoned with!

Bari Jo

•  

Jessica_Rose

Thanks everyone!

How am I going to celebrate? Well I have an appointment at a salon tomorrow to get my eyebrows shaped and colored (darn grey hairs) and hopefully find a hairstyle that I like. The curly just-woke-up style they gave me last time was just not me. Next my wife and I will go out to eat, then over to Merle Norman to get my ears pierced and have a makeover. Hopefully I will learn something about make-up. Then I need to figure out what I am going to wear Monday. After 12 years of jeans, polo shirts, and tennis shoes I look forward to a bit more variety. If I can find a nice tunic, I may wear some leggings and my knee-high black boots. I am sure a lot of co-workers will be looking at me anyway, so I may as well make a statement.

The subject line of my email was 'I bet you never saw this coming'! I have already received 7 - 8 notes from co-workers, all of them very supportive, and none of them saw it coming. I expect most of the recipients probably have no idea how to respond to a note like that. Monday should also be a very interesting day, when my co-workers get to meet Jessica for the first time.

It does feel awesome. Although I have a few more groups of people I need to come out to, I feel like I can finally move on with my life. In early March I plan to visit my relatives in NW Louisiana and tell them about my transition - none of them know about it. I have enlisted the help of a niece to help. I did not tell her what is going on, but she said she would be glad to help because we are family. She is the youngest and most educated of my relatives down there, and I think she is the one most likely to accept what I have done. No matter what happens, Jessica is here to stay. She will never go into hiding again.

When I started this journey last year I could not envision ever getting to this point in my life. It has opened my eyes and helped me find strength that I did not know I had. I guess if over 40 years of darkness can't destroy your soul, then you must be nearly invincible.
Hair - Hair Restoration
  •  

Laurie

Wonderful Jessica,

How does that saying go?  "The truth will set you free." Jessica has been set free and she's about to run wild.
Good for you Hun. You new life is just beginning!!

Hugs,
   Jessica
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis