Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Jessica's Rose Garden

Started by Jessica_Rose, January 17, 2018, 08:38:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laurie

Wonderful! WONDERFUL!!''oh hell SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPLOSION!!

I am happy all went well for you and I believe you personally have helped others understand that this is not a choice we make. No, it is a hell we live with. No one wants to live a life of secret self loathing. A life of insecurities. A life of secrecy indulging in what we were taught was forbidden behavior. A life of guilt and shame. A life where the only real relief comes with such a high risk of losing everything we love in order to be ourselves. And yet we either take that risk or lose ourselves.
' I am Proud of you Jessica Rose and I thank you.

Hugs,
   Laurie
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

Northern Star Girl

@Jessica_Rose
Dear Jessica:
How can any of your thread's followers tell you how very excited we are for you and your recent successes.... the closest I can come is to borrow the expression invented by @Steph2.0 and then subsequently used by @Laurie
              SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEPLOSION!! 
Thank you for sharing your inspiring life events with all of us.
Hugs and continued well wishes and more successes...
Danielle
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures

Started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old & Single
Email: northernstargirl@susans.org
  •  

JudiBlueEyes

Wow this is awesome news!  I knew you'd do a great job.  I'd say you more than nailed it.  You're correct that as a collateral benefit of transitioning we learn so much about ourselves and the strength that we possess inside to do what was once thought of as impossible.  Congratulations Jessica!
Judi
But now old friends they're acting strange
They shake their heads, they say I've changed
Well something's lost, but something's gained
In living every day.
  •  

Michelle_P

Wow!  Well done, Jessica!  What a great response, so positive and affirming!  And a great response from the C-suite folks!

Thank you for doing this.  Your visibility and openness is incredibly valuable in educating folks and helping the rest of us be more readily accepted.
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

KathyLauren

Congratulations, Jessica Rose!  It sounds like you did nail it!  Thank you for being an advocate for all of us.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

Donica

Oh Jessica Rose! I'm am soooo proud of you girl. Way too knock em dead. If you have a video of your presentation, Please, we would all love to see it?

On a side note, I have some water proof mascara and eyeliner. I put the eyeliner on my upper eyelid but for some reason? it is transfering to my bottom eyelids.

Big hugs girl!
Donica.
Rebirth 06/09/2017. HRT 08/22/2017. RLE 07/14/2018. Name and Gender change 10/19/2018. FFS 09/06/2019. GCS 05/26/2021.
  •  

Anne Blake

Well done Jessica, we are all proud of you. You must admit that you have come a long way in the past wee bit of time.

Good going girl!
Tia Anne
  •  

anne_indy

You Colorado girls rock!

Anne

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  •  

LizK

Quote from: Jessica_Rose on October 11, 2018, 06:53:41 PM
I want to thank all of you for your words of encouragement.

This was the first time I had ever spoken in public. Based on the reaction I received --- I NAILED IT!!!

During my roughly six minute presentation I received two standing ovations. I was congratulated by dozens of people, and both the CIO and CMO (Chief Marketing Officer) each talked to me for about five minutes. The CMO told me that my presentation left him speechless. I also checked with HR this morning to make sure it was OK, and I mentioned Susan's Place by name as the site that helped me discover my true nature. I was shaking for about twenty minutes afterwards, but managed to get some laughter out of one of the questions from the panel discussion. They asked how coming out had changed me as a person. Part of my answer was that by transitioning I had done something that just two years ago I thought was impossible, and now after having done the impossible I realized that I can do anything -- including speaking in public!

The best estimate so far is that over 1000 people were watching the event.

I can hardly wait to check my company email in the morning!

Congratulations...what a brilliant outcome...I am so happy to hear it went so well for you...no holding you back now!!!

Take care
Liz
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

Jessica_Rose

Quote from: Donica on October 12, 2018, 11:48:11 AM
Oh Jessica Rose! I'm am soooo proud of you girl. Way too knock em dead. If you have a video of your presentation, Please, we would all love to see it?

Big hugs girl!
Donica.

I forgot to mention, in addition to the Chief Information Officer (CIO) and the Chief Marketing Officer (CMO), the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) also talked to me for several minutes. Unfortunately our CEO was out of town, but she is a huge supporter of the LGBT+ community. There is a chance I may get an email or call from her as well once she watches the recording.

The CIO had asked me for a copy of my manager's response to my original 'coming out' note. In addition to the note, I mentioned that I would love to help spread the word about how inclusive our company is. With my recent boost in confidence, I asked our CIO if I could get a recording of the event! If I can get a copy and if they allow it, I will do what I can to post it somewhere.

While I was telling my story it was hard to see the audience reaction due to the lighting, but I did hear some gasps and quite a bit of crying. To be honest, I did not tell them about some of the even darker thoughts I had to fight. The response I received went way beyond my expectations. I was hoping for moderate applause at best, not a standing ovation in the middle and at the end of my story! I have already been invited back for next year, and was asked to consider joining our LGBT+ board.

I will be in Madison WI until around Noon on Sunday visiting our older daughter, then it is off to Colorado after an overnight stay in Omaha.
Journal thread - Jessica's Rose Garden
National Coming Out Day video - Coming Out
GCS - GCS and BA w/Dr. Ley
GCS II - GCS II and FFS w/Dr. Ley
FFS II - Jaw and chin surgery w/Dr. Ley
Hair - Hair Restoration
23Mar2017 - HRT / 16Feb2018 - Full Time! / 21Feb2019 - GCS / 26July2019 - GCS II / 13Oct2020 - FFS II
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot
  •  

gracefulhat

Jessica, did someone record your presentation. If so would you see if it could be uploaded to youtube so we can all watch it?
Above all, love
  •  

Jessica_Rose

Quote from: gracefulhat on October 12, 2018, 10:17:58 PM
Jessica, did someone record your presentation. If so would you see if it could be uploaded to youtube so we can all watch it?

The event was recorded. Any employee of my company can watch the entire event whenever they want. I do not know of any individuals who may have recorded it. I am trying to get a copy, but I am not sure if it would be within company policies to post it due to privacy concerns. I do have a video of my story that I made at home a few weeks ago, and I would consider posting it, but there is personal information in it which includes my full name and employer. If enough people are interested (send me a PM), I would consider making a new video without the identifying information.
Hair - Hair Restoration
23Mar2017 - HRT / 16Feb2018 - Full Time! / 21Feb2019 - GCS / 26July2019 - GCS II / 13Oct2020 - FFS II
  •  

Nicole70

Jessica,

Congratulations on your courageous presentation, I'm glad it went really well and you got such good feedback [emoji4].

Nicole
  •  

gracefulhat

Quote from: Jessica_Rose on October 12, 2018, 10:32:11 PM
The event was recorded. Any employee of my company can watch the entire event whenever they want. I do not know of any individuals who may have recorded it. I am trying to get a copy, but I am not sure if it would be within company policies to post it due to privacy concerns. I do have a video of my story that I made at home a few weeks ago, and I would consider posting it, but there is personal information in it which includes my full name and employer. If enough people are interested (send me a PM), I would consider making a new video without the identifying information.

Not sure how to PM but I would like to see it
Above all, love
  •  

Rayna

Hi Jessica,

I'm so glad your presentation went so well! I'm weeks behind on catching up here on Susans, but I join all the other positive feedback! Can I work at your company lol? Seriously, they should be using this kind of thing in their recruitment efforts.

I hope you made it back before the snow. Say Hi to Susan for me.
Randy

Sent from my Victor 9000 using Tapatalk

If so, then why not?
  •  

LizK

Quote from: Jessica_Rose on October 12, 2018, 09:56:34 PM
I
While I was telling my story it was hard to see the audience reaction due to the lighting, but I did hear some gasps and quite a bit of crying. To be honest, I did not tell them about some of the even darker thoughts I had to fight. The response I received went way beyond my expectations. I was hoping for moderate applause at best, not a standing ovation in the middle and at the end of my story! I have already been invited back for next year, and was asked to consider joining our LGBT+ board.

Wow that is an incredible outcome. I would love to have seen or heard you speak as I can imagine it was quote moving but to not just get one but two standing ovation shows how well you came across. What a fantastically inclusive company.

Take care

Liz
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

Jessica_Rose

Quote from: RandyL on October 14, 2018, 10:53:34 AM
I'm so glad your presentation went so well! I'm weeks behind on catching up here on Susans, but I join all the other positive feedback! Can I work at your company lol? Seriously, they should be using this kind of thing in their recruitment efforts.

I have decided to let everyone know where I work. I have been with them over 12 years, and they have the best environment of any company I have ever worked for. I am not endorsing any of their products (ymmv), but as a company they promote and whole heartedly support diversity in all its forms. Finding their corporate guidelines on transitioning was an important factor in my decision to come out, and to stay with them. I work for Progressive Insurance.

I could not get an official copy of the video, so I created a bootleg version. The video leaves a bit to be desired, but the audio is perfectly clear. I have cut out the parts where others can be seen so there should be no privacy issues. Hopefully my employer won't mind. I will find somewhere to post the video later today and will let you know where to find it.

I have heard they are planning to use my video to help educate others, I am hoping this may turn into something more.
Hair - Hair Restoration
  •  

Jessica_Rose

I have posted a link to the video in this thread (I hope it works):

https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,241752.msg2186579.html#msg2186579
Hair - Hair Restoration
  •  

Jessica_Rose

Yesterday morning was interesting. My manager contacted me before 7:00am and wanted to know when we could talk privately. My first thought was 'I must be in trouble'. Our meeting started around 8:00am. He asked if I was OK. He was worried that the news about the government trying to set up rules negating the existence of those who identify as transgender may have put me in a bad mood. Well of course it did, but I was amazed that he cared enough to ask about it! We discussed it for about 30 minutes, and I assured him that I would be fine. I am still thinking about how lucky I am to work in a place where managers care this much.

Today was awesome. I started off by modifying some vendor code to smooth the rollout of our primary database software (IBM Db2 v12). It made our DBA's very happy.

Next I got an IM from a co-worker I had never met, she had just seen the video of my coming out story and wanted to thank me for having to courage to do it. She found it to be a very emotional story and said it really helped educate her on some of what we go through. By the way, a more recent estimate puts the number of local and remote attendees for the event at around 1300!

When I got home there was an overnight FedEx envelope waiting for me. I did not recognize return address. It was flat, and it wasn't ticking, so I decided to open it. Inside was a nice note from a parent of a softball player whose team I took photos for one weekend this past summer. She said the girls loved the photos, and she was hoping we may run into each other again next season. There was also a $200 gift card. I certainly hope to see her again too!

Finally my wife (Susan) and I went grocery shopping. While getting a case of soda, a lady came over and said 'hello' to Susan. It was a friend she goes walking with several times a week. I noticed Susan now had that 'deer in the headlights' look, it seems she had never told her friend about my transition! While Susan stood there trying to figure out what to say, I introduced myself. She was a bit surprised and asked a few questions, but I think she took the news pretty well. I think I know what Susan and her friend will be talking about the next time they go on a walk!
Hair - Hair Restoration
  •  

Jessica_Rose

My dead name is a source of great pain. To avoid receiving Christmas cards with my dead name, next week we will be sending a letter to everyone on our Christmas card list. It is basically the same as my previous 'coming out' letters, but the first paragraph is a bit different:

"Susan and I have some important information to share. We wanted to get this letter out before the holidays to avoid an uncomfortable situation. After 34 years we remain happily married, and our daughters are both doing well. Here is the short version -- on February 5, 2018 I changed my legal name and gender. I am now Jessica Rose."

Near the end of the letter I explain 'dead naming' and let them know that I will not tolerate it:

"The most hurtful thing you can do when someone transitions is to use their old 'dead' name. It is an exceptionally painful reminder of the tortured shell we left behind. Please note, any correspondence with my 'dead' name will be destroyed upon receipt."

I also provide a few answers to some common questions:

- Susan and I are staying together, we still love each other.
- We have the support of our entire family, including my parents.
- My legal name is Jessica Rose, our daughters helped choose it.
- My driver's license indicates my gender as 'Female'.
- All of my friends and co-workers accept me as a woman.
- This is a gender issue, it has nothing to do with sex or lifestyle.

I will include these two photos of Susan and I...

Hair - Hair Restoration
  •