Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Growing Hair

Started by Sheila, February 10, 2006, 09:13:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheila

I was wondering how some of you, especially women who are maybe around 50 feel about letting their hair grow out. I'm asking this as I had noticed on Chaunte picture that she said  the picture with her had her hair 4 inches shorter than it was now. All the time I was growing up, I had to have short hair and when the 60's came about I was working and still had to have my hair short. I have never had long hair and now I have long hair and it feels wonderful. I was wondering if any of the rest of you feel the same. And the guys how do they feel having short hair or even butches? I have always wanted long hair and though mine isn't that long about the same as in my picture, I considerate long.
Sheila
  •  

melissa_girl

Mine's still relatively short, but at the same time, about as long as I've ever grown it.  It's probably 4 inches from root to tip, but I plan on growing mine so that it's about six inches below my shoulders...or maybe longer.  Personally, I've always been fond of long hair on women and plan to have it that way myself.  I have relatively thick hair, so growing it shouldn't present too much of a problem.

Now to address the question at hand.  Since I'm not 50, I'll just give my opinion about older women's hair.  I think it looks better long than it does short.  Many women tend to chop it off when they start getting old and it's just an obvious sign that they are old.  I doubt I will ever be one of those women that styles her hair so that it's only 2 inches long and curly everywhere.  But, of course I grew up with shorter hair, so I've already experienced having it short...long enough. ;)

Melissa
  •  

Chaunte

Sheila,

As a child, I had short brush-cut hair by decree.  For a while during my college days, I let my hair grow out some.  It was nothing like the length I have in my posted image, let alone now.  It is a bit of a pain getting it dried and straightened before I go off to school, but that comes with the territory.  I love the feel of it, especially with the wind blowing through it. 

I do get a couple of comments from the faculty, but nothing bad.  The comments come from the women on the faculty and are along the lines of "Your hair is really getting long!" or "I have this urge to braid your hair!"  My students don't comment on it, except that it throws them for a loop when they walk into my classroom for the first time.  But, then again, my tie-dyed labcoat does the same thing! ;D

Chaunte
  •  

Dennis

I'm revelling in the ability to have short hair without comment. My hair is a pain in the butt when it gets longer than an inch long. Has a mind of its own.

I think longer hair looks fine on women of any age. And there are some really nice short haircuts for women as well. The one that looks awful on most women imo is a blunt, chopped off bob. The only women I've seen who really look good with that are some asian women with very thick, straight black hair and small faces.

Not too many guys wear long hair well. I guess they think it isn't manly to actually take care of it and longer hair requires more care and even occasional combings. Hmmm, maybe that's why my hair is such a pain when it gets longer.

Dennis
  •  

Jillieann Rose

I used to love long hair on woman. As a young person I had shoulder lenght hair.
But now I perfer to wear and think woman are sexier in short hair. You just got to know how to style it. It taken me a couple of minutes to change it from guys style to girls.
Look at my picture.  I'm 55.  ;D ;D
:)
Jillieann
  •  

Sara

Mine is about shoulder length sort of like veronica mars but I sometimes put it in a pony tail. Im just trying to grow mine a bit longer so it all evens out.

Sara.
  •  

Alexandra

I've had shoulder length and longer hair since the 1970's -- I will never cut it.  8)
  •  

Kimberly

Now granted that I am a 1975 baby...
I have had long hair since around age 10. It got to a point that it was just wrong to have short hair and I made it known I wanted long hair... It took a while but I don't think my hair has been cut since I was erm, 15? Somewhere around there, as a result my hair is basically the length to reach the small of my back... Personally, I'm going for a bout knee length :P The only downside is my hair is both thin and light... can we say medusa? *giggle*

Needless to say I'm very much a fan of long hair, on girls and guys both.

But in addition to what Dennis mentioned about guys with long hair is, at least in my experience, is that there is a stigma attached, or at least that is what I have found.
  •  

gina_taylor

Hi Sheila,

I've always been fond of women with long hair as well, but as for mine, when it reaches a certain length it goes curly, and then it becomes unmanagable, so I've always kept it short, Now I've had  alot of compliments on my hair piece and people have asked me if it's my real hair or not. I just recently bought a new piece and it's blonde! :)

Gina
  •  

Denise

I would love to have enough hair to let grow out, and if I did,  i would like it to come down to my shoulders or just a bit shorter.

I always admire longer hair on ladies, and as i am not able to have my own natural hair, guess a wig will have to suffice.

My wig comes down just to the nexk line on the back, and over the ears on the sides, but you can still see what ear rings i am wearing wether they be small dainty ones or longer dangling type.

Denise
  •  

Chaunte

Quote from: gina_taylor on February 11, 2006, 08:39:03 AM
Hi Sheila,

I've always been fond of women with long hair as well, but as for mine, when it reaches a certain length it goes curly, and then it becomes unmanagable, so I've always kept it short, Now I've had  alot of compliments on my hair piece and people have asked me if it's my real hair or not. I just recently bought a new piece and it's blonde! :)

Gina

Gina,

Try a straightening iron.  It takes a little bit of time, but that's what I use on mine.  Without it, my hair looks like Little Orphan Annie!

THat is fine for a little girl, but, I'm just not that cute!

Chaunte

btw, the new image was taken today 2/11/06.  I am planning to add another six or so inches to its length. - C
  •  

jan c

Hey - in July, about one month before the epiphany, I got a REAL short haircut; for one thing it was an abnormally hot summer in SF. it's grown out now; I found that the girl at Supercuts gave me a most girly cut, considering I did not specify any such thing. I merely said, 'I get my hair cut maybe twice in a year's time, give me something that will grow out and look ok, that's low maintenance'. Very serendipitous. Her perception (or sense of humour - perhaps 'low maintenance' inspired her) saved me getting a new 'do for this transition.
  •  

Sarah Louise

To me, long or short hair is up to how you feel about it.  I have always liked long hair and think I look better with my hair long.

Some women look sexy with long hair and others look sexy with short hair, it depends on your face and body.

I have seen some women who have cut their hair and I think it ruined their looks (but they think they look better), so as I said at the beginning, it depends on how YOU feel about yourself.

Sarah L.
Nameless here for evermore!;  Merely this, and nothing more;
Tis the wind and nothing more!;  Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore!!"
  •  

Northern Jane

Since SRS in 1974 I have had my hair as long as belt-length to fairly short. Since it is naturally curly, long hair means braids (or unbelievable tangles). I cut it short 3 years ago and it looks much nicer in a "fluffy" style. Long hair was also terribly hard to look after - LOTS of shampoo and conditioner where as short hair is a breeze.

I loved my long hair but not the work!
  •