Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Take that, Hallmark Channel! :)

Started by AnnMarie2017, January 23, 2018, 01:21:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnnMarie2017

I really like watching the Hallmark Channel films. They're gentle, the people are pleasant, the stories are interesting and end on a happy note. It's a peaceful diversion from the pressures of real life. While they tend to be somewhat formulaic, every once in a while I catch a real gem. Such is "Love Always, Santa," a 2016 offering starring Marguerite Moreau.

I haven't seen her in many films. I first saw her in "The Vampire Lestat," in which she plays a junior researcher for an occult organization who gets a little too close to her work. She has a gift for playing characters with a vein of sadness undergirding their personalities. Well, she does this superbly in "Love Always, Santa," in which she plays a widow with a daughter just this side of her teenage years who owns a little bistro and keeps life going, all the while mourning the loss of her husband.

When I find a film with a characteristic that makes it stand out for me, I like to buy the DVD. I've been collecting such films for about 15 years or so, and have an eclectic mix. I wanted this movie. Unfortunately, the Hallmark Channel is notoriously stingy with their releases. No DVD available. Well, by now I was used to it. I added it to my wish list of films as-yet unreleased.

Several months ago, when I was still on Facebook, I ran across Ms. Moreau's Facebook account. I have rarely done this; but I was so taken with her performance in this film that I wrote her a short fan note; and I was pleasantly surprised to get a thank you.

These days, most of my free money goes toward my transition -- doctor visits, tests, makeup and clothes -- so I don't buy or shop for DVDs the way I used to. But, a few weeks ago, I had a few minutes to kill and it occurred to me that I hadn't checked my list of non-releases in a while; so, I logged onto Amazon and started down the list. When I got to this one, I unexpectedly got a hit. "Love Always, Santa" was out in a Region 4 release! There were none available; but at least it existed.

I've bought a few DVDs from Region 4 before, when they weren't available in Region 1 releases or were available there at a reduced cost. I made a beeline to Amazon.com.au and searched for the title. It popped up -- and, with it, the dreaded "This item cannot be shipped to the US" message. (sigh) Several years ago, this never happened. Then, the marketers must have gotten wise to the many owners of "region-free" DVD players and dropped the hammer, because it now happens with disgusting frequency.

I've bought pirated DVDs before, when the real thing wasn't available and I wanted the movie badly. Sometimes, a legitimate version would come out later, and I'd replace the pirated copy. I still own some pirates, which I bought years ago and which I'm now guessing will probably never come out in licensed editions. But when there's a licensed edition available, somewhere in the world, I go for the real thing.

So I went to eBay; and, sure enough, someone in New Zealand had 3 brand new copies for sale. Shortly thereafter, they had 2; and my purchase arrived today.  :D Yep, despite the best efforts of the Hallmark Channel to deny me this little gem, I got one anyway.

Take that, Hallmark Channel!
  •  

Roll

Quote from: AnnMarie2017 on January 23, 2018, 01:21:23 PM
I haven't seen her in many films. I first saw her in "The Vampire Lestat," in which she plays a junior researcher for an occult organization who gets a little too close to her work.

Wait, what? Was there a Lestat tv movie or something that slipped under my radar?
~ Ellie
■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■
I ALWAYS WELCOME PMs!
(I made the s lowercase so it didn't look as much like PMS... ;D)

An Open Letter to anyone suffering from anxiety, particularly those afraid to make your first post or continue posting!

8/30/17 - First Therapy! The road begins in earnest.
10/20/17 - First coming out (to my father)!
12/16/17 - BEGAN HRT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
5/21/18 - FIRST DAY OUT AS ME!!!!!!!!!
6/08/18 - 2,250 Hair Grafts
6/23/18 - FIRST PRIDE!
8/06/18 - 100%, completely out!
9/08/18 - I'M IN LOVE!!!!
2/27/19 - Name Change!

•  

AnnMarie2017

Quote from: Roll on January 24, 2018, 01:26:18 AM
Wait, what? Was there a Lestat tv movie or something that slipped under my radar?

I'm so embarrassed. It was "Queen of the Damned."  :embarrassed:
  •  

Roll

Quote from: AnnMarie2017 on January 24, 2018, 02:33:29 AM
I'm so embarrassed. It was "Queen of the Damned."  :embarrassed:

I actually looked up what she was in after posting and saw that, which made sense since it lifted a lot from the Vampire Lestat book. ;D

Still want a real adaptation of it, such a good book. Anywho, that's off topic!
~ Ellie
■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■
I ALWAYS WELCOME PMs!
(I made the s lowercase so it didn't look as much like PMS... ;D)

An Open Letter to anyone suffering from anxiety, particularly those afraid to make your first post or continue posting!

8/30/17 - First Therapy! The road begins in earnest.
10/20/17 - First coming out (to my father)!
12/16/17 - BEGAN HRT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
5/21/18 - FIRST DAY OUT AS ME!!!!!!!!!
6/08/18 - 2,250 Hair Grafts
6/23/18 - FIRST PRIDE!
8/06/18 - 100%, completely out!
9/08/18 - I'M IN LOVE!!!!
2/27/19 - Name Change!

•  

Cassi

Be nice to the Hallmark channel, it's the best source of Holidayish movies there is and the Good Witch was a partial reason for my name though my last name isn't Nightengale,lol.
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

AnnMarie2017

Quote from: Cassi on January 24, 2018, 11:53:28 AM
Be nice to the Hallmark channel, it's the best source of Holidayish movies there is and the Good Witch was a partial reason for my name though my last name isn't Nightengale,lol.

I'm a fan of Catherine Bell.  :) Did you know that the Hallmark Channel has only released five of the eight "Good Witch" films? or maybe there's nine by now; I'm not sure. Sooo aggravating. I tried watching the TV series, but the teenage boy that was a constant problem during the first season kind of annoyed me. And I missed Chris Potter as her husband.

I have another film of hers which has a really neat, unexpected twist: "Still Small Voices."
  •  

Julia1996

The hallmark channel? Really? I've always found the stuff on hallmark to be a huge sleeping pill.😴😴😴😴
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Cassi

Quote from: AnnMarie2017 on January 24, 2018, 12:03:54 PM
I'm a fan of Catherine Bell.  :) Did you know that the Hallmark Channel has only released five of the eight "Good Witch" films? or maybe there's nine by now; I'm not sure. Sooo aggravating. I tried watching the TV series, but the teenage boy that was a constant problem during the first season kind of annoyed me. And I missed Chris Potter as her husband.

I have another film of hers which has a really neat, unexpected twist: "Still Small Voices."

I have all the Good Witch movies and the series and was surprised that they didn't have anything last year.  I find it kind of neat to watch Bailey growing up in films, first in the doll episodes of the older Goosebump episodes - forget what they're called, Once upon a time and others.

I have thought of getting JAG as Catherine Bell is a Marine in that series.  Will have to check out Still Small Voices - Thanks!

Down side to Hallmark movies use to be getting emotional with them, lol.  No longer an issue :)
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

Cassi

Quote from: Julia1996 on January 24, 2018, 12:09:12 PM
The hallmark channel? Really? I've always found the stuff on hallmark to be a huge sleeping pill.😴😴😴😴

One person's sleeping pill another's aphrodesiac :)
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

AnnMarie2017

Quote from: Cassi on January 24, 2018, 12:10:40 PM
I have all the Good Witch movies and the series ...

Are your copies of the last several movies authorized editions? I've seen pirated DVDs -- last I checked, someone was offering a complete boxed set -- but was waiting for the official releases. I have the first five; that's all I know were issued.
  •  

Cassi

Mine were recorded off the tv and edited.  I'll have to look at what the names are.  I had them on dvds that I recorded them on to and then later put them and a lot more hallmarks onto an external harddrive - not only was it the pits transporting them when I moved but trying to find a particular dvd was the pits too.  All & all, external harddrive beat out both dvds and vhs which is what I started with originally.  Sadly, shelf life of VHS I was told was 20 years.
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •