Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Does existence precede essence, is it the other way around or neither?

Started by Torchickens, January 24, 2018, 01:57:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Torchickens

This is a theme in philosophy I feel is also relevant to gender:

To what degree does essence create structure? I think first we have to clarify what essence means; it could be both an intention or a pattern of nature, or something else (what is your view on essence?).

I personally believe both existence does precede essence in the context of nature, and intention.

Like from a nature perspective even though I was born with a male body, I'm not interested in my physical strength nor facial hair, nor sex, and even want to transition into a female body.

From an intention perspective, a sentient robot could be created as a slave, but then abandon its master and revolt. The robot then has freedom over its master, and creates its own self idea of identity.

The advancements of science now means we can identify more closely as the gender we see ourselves. On the other hand, humanity could be seen as ultimately powerless to something like the ultimate fate of the universe and heat death.
  •  

Cindy

You need to define your definition of essence as otherwise the answer is a simple statement. Essence requires existence.
  •  

Torchickens

Quote from: Cindy on January 24, 2018, 02:16:04 PM
You need to define your definition of essence as otherwise the answer is a simple statement. Essence requires existence.

Yeah. I gave a very brief definition, but you are right it needs to be elaborated further.

I think existence is an ambiguous term too. For example, "zero", "time" may be a concept that doesn't necessarily exist in the physical world, maybe nor does "happiness" in an empirical sense. Essence if viewed in terms of qualia can also lead to existence because of inspiration (like remembering a good feeling playing a video game, and then deciding to make a fan fiction of it)
  •  

Gertrude

Some say I think therefore I am, but you're term of existence seems to be more biological. Then there is the weak anthropic principal I read about from Hawking. Things are the way they are because we are here to observe them. Existence has to precede essence, at least in the absence of magical thinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  •  

Kylo

I constructed an argument, but then I remembered quantum physics exists.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •  

Sophia Sage

What you look forward to has already come, but you do not recognize it.
  •