Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

How did you finally realize/accept you are transgender?

Started by PurpleWolf, January 30, 2018, 02:36:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PurpleWolf

My other threads might have touched on this topic already, but I wanted to make a new thread for this.

So how did you realize you were really trans? Or came to terms with it?
Most of us must have 'always known' that something was up or thought about it on and off. But how did you finally accept that you were really trans? Like what led to it?

Was it a long process - something you just thought about for years & years and finally accepted it as a fact or came to a conclusion? Or did some specific incident cause that lightbulb to go on?

How did that make you feel?

Anything else you wanna share?

---
And again, as for me:
I've been practically living as a guy since the age of 13. My lightbulb moment must've been when my friend told me people at my new school had thought I was a boy without me knowing. My secret dream had always been to be treated as a boy so shortly after that I just started identifying as one though nothing dramatically changed or anything. I tried to access treatment at 16 - but couldn't, argh. After that I just became numb and pretty much isolated myself from society. To the point of almost sinking into denial. I've been identifying as a guy all the time - so that would mean I'd be certain I'm trans, right? For some reason, however, I started having doubts about if I'm even trans at all. Or if I would like to (medically) transition if I could etc. Lost track basically. All that was needed to get back on track was a little support from this site! Weirdly I feel pretty much the same as back then at 13 - that my life has been a blur & can't believe this is really happening!

Back then I felt that my childhood had been a mask & being treated as a guy was a dream come true! That was the real me so socially transitioning felt just so natural it didn't feel like a big deal at all. I really felt that identiying as a boy (and that you could be seen/treated as one) was just the missing puzzle piece.

Weirdly I feel pretty much the same right now when I'm actually planning to go on T, finally. Like my real life is just beginning. Now the missing puzzle piece I've been looking for is T.
!!!REBIRTH=legal name change on Feb 16th 2018!!!
This is where life begins for me. It's a miracle I finally got it done.

My body is the home of my soul; not the other way around.

I'm more than anything an individual; I'm too complex to be put in any box.

- A social butterfly not living in social isolation anymore  ;D -
(Highly approachable but difficult to grasp)

The past is overrated - why stick with it when you are able to recreate yourself every day
  •  

Lucy Ross

Easy, one morning a few months ago I woke up and realized I had had enough of deliberating endlessly about who I was - I'd read about this topic as exhaustively as can be imagined, found narratives that matched my own experiences, and had been assured of my conclusions by a therapist specializing in sexual and gender issues with decades of experience, and knew that it was time to stop denying who I am - it's simply a scientific fact, an aspect of genetics, of endocrinology, of upbringing; shame and guilt are just our society's misguided ways of dealing with this phenomenon, which will be considered as barbaric historical footnotes someday, when we've evolved to be a more tolerant civilization.

That, and the hormones were really beginning to kick in too.
:icon_inyourface:  Can't be sober and rational 24/7,sorry...
1982-1985 Teenage Crossdresser!
2015-2017 Middle Aged Crossdresser!  Or...?
April 2017 Electrolysis Time  :icon_yikes:
July 12th, 2017 Started HRT  :icon_chick:
  •  

Shambles

In the week before my lightbulb went off i started watching vids from trans girls, their update vids expecially. And a theropist talking about trans relaited stuff. U didnt k ow why at the time i was drawn to these and why i watched. It finaly hit me when i read a story of a trans woman who realised herself in her 40s i think and her looking back at her life at the points she should have realised. I kicked myself when out ot the 10 things she mentoned i did around 75% of them.

The wave of.emotion when i came out to myself was unreal. I was on a high for weeks after that
- Jo / Joanna

Pre-HRT Trans-Fem
16th Nov 17 - Came out to myself
7th Jan 18 - Came out to wife
31st Jan 18 - Referred to GIC / might be seen in 2020
Oct 18 - Fully out at one job, part out at another
Nov 18 - Out to close family
  •  

zirconia

I realized when I read an article about someone who had had surgery to become a woman. The description of how she'd felt ever since she was as a child was very similar to what I was feeling. The article used the term transgender.
  •  

Morgan78

I had struggled with my gender identity all of my life. I daydreamed often about a sex change, and even picked out a male name for myself in my daydreams. It wasn't until I met my transgender friend last year and realized hormone therapy and surgery were possible for regular people (the only transgender person I'd heard of before was Caitlyn Jenner) that I started having an issue living as a woman.

I identified as gender fluid for several months to appease the gender struggle going on inside of me as kind of the easy way out. I admired​ my friend for transitioning, but I thought there was no way I could ever publicly identify as a male so I dressed in men's clothes at home, but presented as a woman publicly. About 6 or so weeks ago, I became increasingly frustrated with my 100% female name. I spent most of my waking hours debating gender neutral names to legally change my name to, but could not settle for one that I liked 100%, which only further frustrated me.

2.5 weeks ago, I reached my​ breaking point. I cried so much. And I almost never cry. I realize now the name issue was probably my male identity trying to force his way out. I decided that night that I need to transition whether my family accepts me or not, and I've felt a peace that I've never felt before since then.

I didn't realize how depressed I was living as a woman. I feel like a whole new person now; I can think more clearly, I haven't needed as much​ sleep, and I'm just unbelievably happy. One of my employees told me Friday it's annoying how happy I am lately! :D

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

•  

Jessica_Rose

Potions of this reply came from one of my coming out letters, so if you have run across any of those the information may sound familiar...

For most of my life I knew I was different, but it was a feeling I couldn't easily describe. Starting in my early teens social and family pressure kept me from expressing who I am. Suppressing my feelings and emotions led to stress, confusion, frustration and anger that increased through the years. Although my life seemed normal from the outside, there was darkness hiding just beneath the surface. There were times long ago which were so stressful the only thing that kept me alive was the thought of what would happen to my wife and daughters if I was gone. I am also saddened by the behavior my family had to witness. I can't remember how many walls I patched or how many things I destroyed out of anger. I learned to partially control my temper, but the source of my pain remained a mystery. 

Since I first heard about transsexuals around 1990 I had become very interested in the subject, but I did not realize at the time that my interest was more than prurient in nature. Back then I never saw any background information on the people involved, just photos  and videos. Once the internet came along the world of information exploded and there was more and more information available. Finally in December 2016 I ran across Susan's Place and began reading about some of the struggles the members were facing. I was fascinated because I saw myself in many of the stories -- the curiosity and experimentation, the pressure to conform, the growing frustration and anger. As I read the journeys I had an epiphany -- I suddenly realized I had found the source of my darkness. I cried for the first time in years. They were not tears of sadness, sorrow or shame, they were tears of happiness, joy, and relief. I finally understood. I had discovered the truth that I had been hiding from everyone, including myself.

It happened that quickly, one of the stories finally triggered the realization that all my years of anger, rage, and closet cross dressing were caused by something I never really expected. I did not try to argue with myself or talk myself out of it.  I knew it was true - I am transgender.
Journal thread - Jessica's Rose Garden
National Coming Out Day video - Coming Out
GCS - GCS and BA w/Dr. Ley
GCS II - GCS II and FFS w/Dr. Ley
FFS II - Jaw and chin surgery w/Dr. Ley
Hair - Hair Restoration
23Mar2017 - HRT / 16Feb2018 - Full Time! / 21Feb2019 - GCS / 26July2019 - GCS II / 13Oct2020 - FFS II
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot
  •  

Christy Lee

Realized? When i was about 14 or 15, i think ive always know i wanted to be female, but only knew that was Transgender probably at the age of 15

Accepted? Still working on that, but i feel like its coming
Whose that girll?
ITS CHRISTY

02/05/2018
Started Therapy
  •  

AnnMarie2017

I feel like I talk about myself too much as it is. But, since my experience is in the minority, perhaps it will help someone.

I never knew I had gender issues. In my case, it was very heavily sublimated. I suspect my father saw it when I was very young, and did something to convince me that being female was a bad thing to be; but I have no facts. Only the vaguest of hints.

I grew up an outcast in every group I was part of, including my own family. Throughout my life, I performed far below my alleged potential; I was highly neurotic, beset with many issues. I thought it was low self-esteem, inculcated by an abusive parent and an environment of perpetual rejection; and that's how I explained myself to myself. It took me until I was in my 30s to accumulate sufficient coping mechanisms to get along in life in a relatively balanced fashion.

I hated my name and my reflection for as long as I can remember. That's key to what happens later.

Beginning when I was in college, I came to realize that I had a "strong feminine side." Periodically, through adulthood, people would ask if I were gay, which always puzzled me, since I didn't think I exhibited any behaviors of manner or speech that suggested it. I had a good friend for years who never told me – his widow did, after his death – but he was absolutely convinced I was gay; and I had two gay friends tell me once that I was the "gayest straight man" they had ever met, and they couldn't figure me out.

It was about 10-11 years ago, when I was in my second marriage, that I had my initial experience of gender euphoria. I didn't know that's what it was; I only knew that imagining myself as a woman sent my spirit soaring to the stars. I was high for days. I came to terms with the fact that I would have preferred being born female; but I still thought I was male. I fancied myself a "male lesbian," or love-shy male; many of the tell-tales applied to me, though not all. I shared these thoughts and experiences with my wife; she was an active ally at the local LGBT center, and she shared what I had told her with a trans man she knew. He passed along the suggestion that I might be transgender. I knew nothing, really, about transgender people at the time – only the broad outlines, and the caricatures – and I didn't think so. And, since there wasn't anything I could do about being a "male lesbian" except live with it, I put this information about myself on the back burner and went on, taking it out to look it over from time to time.

About a year after my divorce, I was living alone and got the idea to explore this "feminine side." My purpose was to try to bring this aspect of myself up from my subconscious to my conscious and integrate it, which should, theoretically, make me a more actualized, balanced and fuller person. So, I did. My general approach was to begin adopting some female behaviors and minimize some male behaviors, largely in the privacy of my own home. I also blogged my experience on a certain website, and spent some time on >-bleeped-<.

It wasn't long before I began to wonder if it might be true that I was transgender. The more I thought about it, the more amazing the possibility seemed. I came to desire it, to want it to be true. When things reached the point where I thought it was a pretty good possibility, I decided I should consult a gender therapist. I did not want my desires to color the facts. I wanted an informed, objective opinion to confirm or refute what I thought I probably was.

I found one, contacted her, and she set up a phone interview. How do you present what you've been going through in a representative context of who you are, all within the space of a phone call of undetermined length? It's darn near impossible. I spent several days trying. Eventually, the night before the interview, I boiled everything down to four pieces of scratch paper. The next morning, I was sitting in my car, going over what I was going say in my mind – over, and over, and over, for the umpteenth time – when suddenly, I had an epiphany. I just knew. I just knew. Half of me was overjoyed; the other half was flabbergasted, not comprehending how I could possibly be a woman. That was a little trippy, let me tell you.

Since that experience, there have been many confirmations. I stopped trying to remember them all; but two stand out. The first is the depth of conviction I have had, since the first or second day I woke up. It's astounding to me that I could have a conviction so deep and so strong of an idea that is so new to me consciously – and yet, I do. The second is my experience with mirrors. After hating the sight of my face for 40 years, I was looking in the mirror one day and realized I loved what I saw. The difference was that I knew I was looking at a woman. It didn't matter that I don't pass; I could see into my own soul, and I knew. And that brought me joy, and love for myself that had always eluded me.

I still have my problems. Life didn't become perfect for me when I realized who I was. But it got a whole lot better. Overnight, I went from being a flower struggling in a desert, parched for lack of self-love, to one blossoming in gorgeous, resplendent color in a lovely garden. This took no thought or effort on my part; after being asleep for 60 years, I just finally woke up.
  •  

KathyLauren

There had been signs all my life that I was different.  I never once in my life, not ever, wanted to be masculine.  Always, I was drawn to being feminine, even going so far as to get my mother to teach me to knit, sew, and bake cookies.  She thought it was cute.

You would think that so many clues would have made it obvious, and I did often wonder, but a heavy streak of denial (internal transphobia) prevented me from realizing the truth.  There was no way I could be one of those people, I thought.

Then, about two and a half years ago, I was attending a scientific conference.  The keynote speaker just happened to be a trans woman.  She gave a brilliant talk on some cutting-edge physics.  I was curious to see how the rest of the audience responded to her.  In the lobby afterwards, there was a lot of talk about her lecture and how interesting it was but none at all about her.  That was an eye-opener for me, the fact that a trans person could just openly go about their business in the world and not draw ridicule.

Right around the same time, Caitlyn Jenner came out publicly.  Say what you will about her, but her public profile did a lot to normalize the existence of trans people in society.

The combination of those events led me to investigate whether I truly might be transgender.  Google led me to Susan's, and I signed up, since I have always felt comfortable with the forum format.  After a few monthe of questioning and soul-searching, I admitted to myself that I really was trans, and I started to identify that way in my own mind.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

PurpleWolf

Quote from: AnnMarie2017 on January 30, 2018, 06:37:52 AM
I feel like I talk about myself too much as it is. But, since my experience is in the minority, perhaps it will help someone.
AnnMarie, that was awesome! Much of what I can relate to.

The past is overrated - why stick with it when you are able to recreate yourself every day
  •  

Maddie86

I realized from an early age that there was something different about me, at age 6 is when I started borrowing my sister's clothes lol. then around puberty it happened even more and that's when I really started questioning myself, but for a while I thought it was just some weird fetish, then in 2013 I think that's when I realized that it was a lot more than that and that I really wanted to transition. then it was right at this time a year ago when things just began building up too much. I was sober for a month and this was still on my mind, and if it still was after thinking more clearly than I have in years then these thoughts weren't going anywhere, I needed to confront them. this one nosey girl had been asking me about it and one night everything just kinda came out and then I decided that I have to tell my real friends about it. I watched one of those videos about questions to ask yourself to determine if you're trans and my answers all pointed to trans. I would make jokes about being a girl for years, so none of this came to a surprise to my friends. one morning I made a joke to my friend in a text and then she asked me what pronouns I'd like to be called and then I realized that I really had to tell her so I had a conversation with her that night and everything took off from there
  •  

Bari Jo

I knew from way too early that I was different, age 8.  My repression started from age 10.  I might not have known what I was, but knew what I wanted to be, but also knew I couldn't do that.  Every media source of inside jokes about men in dresses or drag always cut me and made me isolate myself.  I couldn't even watch movies with a trans character even if popular.  For some reason I kept being boxed into more and more strict binary situations.  High school I wore the boy suit well.  College was worse.  I went to school in TX, and basically shut down.  The GD seemed to go away as long as I was emotionally numb.  I still had thoughts and even conversations about how life would be different if I was a girl with college friends.  I don't think they read anything into it, but I did, and hated it.  I entered several careers, each were boys clubs and no way of being affirming.  One of my old bosses, who I am still socially friends with will drop me for sure when he finds out.  Anyway now onto getting older, wiser, and getting beaten and tricked by the trans beast.  Eventually I was able to accept it intellectually, and knew from that point I couldn't beat the trans beast.  It's me, the real me breaking free.  It helped that this realization came with intense GD, pain (self inflicted) and crisis.  After making that decision and accepting,  pain is lessening.  I am learning there are levels of self acceptance.  I'm breaking those barriers and I can.  It's hard, but sooo much better than the way I was.

I'm not sure if this answers the question.  What were we talking about?  :)

Bari Jo
you know how far the universe extends outward? i think i go inside just as deep.

10/11/18 - out to the whole world.  100% friends and family support.
11/6/17 - came out to sister, best day of my life
9/5/17 - formal diagnosis and stopping DIY in favor if prescribed HRT
6/18/17 - decided to stop fighting the trans beast, back on DIY.
Too many ups and downs, DIY, purges of self inbetween dates.
Age 10 - suppression and denial began
Age 8 - knew I was different
  •  

Kylo

Quote from: PurpleWolf on January 30, 2018, 02:36:25 AM
So how did you realize you were really trans? Or came to terms with it?

It was a long process and I'm not sure exactly how all the pieces came together, except I had my eyes open.

I didn't come to terms with it - I'd already come to terms with being different when I was a kid. So when I realized this was my problem there was nothing to get over. I wasn't surprised in the least. It all made sense.

QuoteMost of us must have 'always known' that something was up or thought about it on and off. But how did you finally accept that you were really trans? Like what led to it?

I just collected information - anecdotes, science studies, psychology books. I closely fit the pattern I was seeing there when it came to the classic symptoms and behavior of the transsexual individual. My own thoughts which are still strong as ever about the body, being female etc. fit into the picture formed like a final jigsaw piece and finally made sense where they were coming from.

QuoteWas it a long process - something you just thought about for years & years and finally accepted it as a fact or came to a conclusion? Or did some specific incident cause that lightbulb to go on?

Both. I had years worth of observations and experience and sometimes lightbulbs moments as well. Eventually there was just too much evidence to deny.

QuoteHow did that make you feel?

Bad. As a child I had made some simple observations that were right on point, but without the weight of more years of experience I had never believed myself fully until the last few years. The fact my kid self was more astute than I am now bothered me. It made me think I'd filled my head up with useless ideas or had been ignoring what had been staring me in the face. But I also know I don't make big decisions without enough reason to justify them so it makes sense I waited long enough to see that various attempts to be happy had failed first before taking that leap. That was inevitable I think. I'm probably too cautious to just leap into the unknown like that on the strength of an untested feeling.

I always felt like a piece is missing, but I'm not sure that's going to be rectified completely by transition. But it'll be good enough. Better than before.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •  

Julia1996

I knew I was trans even before I knew what trans was. I just knew I wasn't a boy and didn't want a boy's body. When I was ten I saw a transwoman in TV and learned it was possible to have surgery to change someone's body and genitals to that of a female. I didn't get to see all of it because my mom came in and saw what I was watching and changed the channel. She said I shouldn't be watching garbage like that and that trans people were perverted freaks who were mentally ill. Even so I knew I wanted to have that surgery. I never had any conflict about being trans I just knew I was going to transition when I grew up. It didn't stress or bother me until I was about 15. I had no problem accepting that I was trans but I started stressing over possibly having my dad and brother disown me and hate me. That was because my mom had told me several times that my dad wouldn't tolerate an LGBT child. She lied of course. I figured my mom would disown and reject me but even at that age I didn't care if she did. She had always been embarrassed of my albinism and made me feel like a freak because of it so I was used to her rejection.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

PurpleWolf

Julia, sorry, your mom sounds hideous  >:(
I'm so sorry!!!

•  

Kendra

Quote from: AnnMarie2017 on January 30, 2018, 06:37:52 AM
> After hating the sight of my face for 40 years, I was looking in the mirror one day and realized I loved what I saw. The difference was that I knew I was looking at a woman. It didn't matter that I don't pass; I could see into my own soul, and I knew. And that brought me joy, and love for myself that had always eluded me.

AnnMarie your post brought me to tears - so well written, and so much I have experienced. 
Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •  

November Fox

I didn't "get it" until I met other transmen.

I had always had a intense feeling that something was wrong, and bouts of dysphoria since a very early age. But I just didn't understand that "FTM" was a real phenomenon. Somehow in my mind, transgenders were MTF. Always.

When I met some transmen in the local LGBT group I was jealous of them and realized I wanted to talk about the same things they did (transitioning, testosterone, surgery, male life) and then suddenly something "clicked".

That feeling of: "Ohhh! NOW I get it..." after 27 years :P
  •  

meatwagon

it showed up one way or another off and on since early childhood, but i didn't understand what it meant for me until much later.  it wasn't until my 20s when i was married that i realized something had to be done about it because i just couldn't stand being somebody's "wife" any more.  i don't remember when it first clicked for me that i was this "transgender" thing i had heard about--which i didn't really hear about until my teens--but it was something that gradually built up over the years, especially once i was in a relationship.
  •  

Sephirah

A lot has been said already that I can relate to. I can take parts from probably all of the replies and put them together to explain how it happened for me.

One thing I would like to add, however, is that in my case there was a more subconscious aspect of it. I do a lot of meditation. A lot of times where I'm in places away from my body. Be that induced altered states of consciousness or dreaming. And in all of that, who I am is not who I was born as. It's like my deepest emotional patterns and sense of self have a default state which doesn't correspond to the way I was born. And the most disconcerting thing is that this subconscious state feels more natural. It's the times I don't actively have to think about myself. I just am.

For as long as I can remember, every time I have been free to just be myself, and express myself, away from physical boundaries of the world, and the flesh, the same thing happens. Like my mind knows who I am. Or who I should be. Something like that. I have to make a conscious effort to change that. And it's not a change I like. A lot of the time, even still, I come back to the phyiscal and it's jarring. Disorienting. Like waking up in someone else's body.

I think the final push towards acceptance, for me, came when it got to the stage that I would rather dream than wake up. When I would rather stay in that place that felt natural. And not have to think about it. That's when I knew something wasn't right.
Natura nihil frustra facit.
  •  

jaybutterfly

to be honest, I still wrestle with full acceptance. I sometimes fear what life will do to me. Will my partner and friends leave? will my family cut me off? will I lose everything I love and need to start over? Why do I feel like this?

I am mostly there and happily prefer to be referred to as she, but I will not take hormones unless this becomes do or die for me... which I fear it soon will be, hopefully not until I have the means to store sperm
  •