Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Hip Widening Surgery now avaliable via a new technique called Minimal Invasive Plate Osteosynthesis

Started by PollyQMcLovely, February 01, 2018, 05:40:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PollyQMcLovely

From a  post by u/sopcol:

Korean Biomedical Review: 'Pelvic beauty' becomes achievable, Harvard professor says

Biomedical Review/by Constance Williams  10/2018

Gender Analysis: A new plastic surgery technique for hip widening

Keypoints:

Implants are used to extend the hips.
Launches for clinical use in March.
Currently a large waiting list to be the first patiant.
Surgery takes less than an hour, can be discharged in after 2 hours and can walk and run immediatly after, but no swimming or baths for a week
The cost for the implant is $4,500, and hospital fee is $10,000, including anesthesia and other supplies.
From the Korean Biomedical Review article:

To widen the pelvic bone, Wu started the process with a 3D printer to create the "pelvic osteoplasty" – the first skeletal aesthetic technique used to create a customized hourglass figure. Small incisions will be made on the lower back (posterior superior iliac spine) to hide the scars with clothes, undermining the muscles to create a tunnel for the implant. The implants will be drilled with 3.5-mm cancellous screw fixations onto the surface of the iliac crest- the curved ridge at the top of the pelvic bone.

"We call this the Minimal Invasive Plate Osteosynthesis (MIPO) to extend the pelvic width," Wu said. "The only incision we must be careful is to avoid the superior cluneal nerves."

Asked if the procedure is available to the public at the moment, Wu confirmed that it is still experimental. "Our commercialized implant is almost ready for the clinical use, and the review of the regulations is done. We will officially launch the procedure next March, and we have a waiting list for a lot of patients willing to be the first subject," he said.

Wu noted that one of the good indications for this technique is the male-to-female transgender who have the desire to have a female figure, but his ideal target market is for anyone who wants an ideal hip/waist ratio.

The procedure takes less than an hour under general anesthesia, and patients can be discharged after a few hours. Side effects of this surgery would be minor common surgical complications, including pain, infection, loosing of the implant and minimal decrease of the sensation of surgical site which usually recovers. The cost for the implant is $4,500, and hospital fee is $10,000, including anesthesia and other supplies.

"After surgery, you can immediately walk, or even run," Wu said. "But we advise staying away from the water by avoiding swimming or taking baths for a week. Patients don't even need to worry about pregnancy affected by the procedure."
  •  

Julia1996

For real?? Who on earth would want to do that? Hrt does a good job adding to your hips. I think some procedures are necessary for some transwomen but I think they are taking it a little too far.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Paige

Quote from: Julia1996 on February 01, 2018, 08:39:04 AM
For real?? Who on earth would want to do that? Hrt does a good job adding to your hips. I think some procedures are necessary for some transwomen but I think they are taking it a little too far.

Hi Julia,

I think what you're saying about HRT doing a good job on your hips is more likely with woman who start HRT young like you.  I don't believe the bones after the age of 25 respond to HRT.  I'm guessing your bone structure has been altered by HRT.   Granted fat distribution alone will help many transgender women but many seem unsatisfied by their hips.

I can see why someone would try this.  It sounds way safer than putting silicone in your butt.

Take care,
Paige :)
  •  

PurplePelican

Oh wow, I'm gonna put this on my list of crazy-ass surgeries, along with shoulder reductions. I understand body dysphoria, but mounting hunks of metal of the outer edges of your hips seems a little insane.

This is not medical advice. Always consult your doctor.
  •  

AnonyMs

•  

Cassi

Heck, they keep this up and all you'll have to do is lay on a 3D printer while the tech erases what you original had and programs a rebuild.

Think I'll wait for an alien abduction.  Heard there's someone on this site from the planet Pandora :)

Or God forbid if I need a hip replacement I'll ask for the Trans Model :)
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

Janes Groove

•  

Dani

Quote from: Janes Groove on February 01, 2018, 06:28:30 PM
Drilling and mounting permanent metal screws into my pelvis bones?

Pass.

I have a titanium hip replacement which is screwed in place. I had arthritis so bad the femur was almost about to grind through the hip bone. I needed it to be able to walk again. It works just fine.
  •  

jules968

Quote from: Paige on February 01, 2018, 10:41:45 AM
Hi Julia,

I think what you're saying about HRT doing a good job on your hips is more likely with woman who start HRT young like you.  I don't believe the bones after the age of 25 respond to HRT.  I'm guessing your bone structure has been altered by HRT.   Granted fat distribution alone will help many transgender women but many seem unsatisfied by their hips.

I can see why someone would try this.  It sounds way safer than putting silicone in your butt.

Take care,
Paige :)
Exactly!   However with that said.   I wouldn't recommend this to anyone.   No need becoming a guinea pig for dr. Frankenstein.   Wait for 1,000 successful stories and 5 years of testing and then maybe.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  •  

Kylo

That sounds like an incredible recovery time. Even minor implants seem to be more debilitating, and this is bonescrew surgery? I don't quite believe you could run after being discharged, lol. It wouldn't be advisable, surely.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •  

TinaVane

Quote from: Cassi on February 01, 2018, 06:19:48 PM
Heck, they keep this up and all you'll have to do is lay on a 3D printer while the tech erases what you original had and programs a rebuild.

Think I'll wait for an alien abduction.  Heard there's someone on this site from the planet Pandora :)

Or God forbid if I need a hip replacement I'll ask for the Trans Model :)
well i always called myself the bionic woman lmfao
C'est Si Bon
  •  

Cassi

HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

Roll

Honestly, doesn't sound that extreme. Plenty of women, cis and trans, go for stuff like butt implants. The only real difference here is that its mounted so its probably far less complications with sliding around or potential injuries. Certainly many people have grafts. I mean, also a lot of us go in to have our face peeled back and bones ground down as a standard procedure, this seems lightweight in comparison.
~ Ellie
■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■
I ALWAYS WELCOME PMs!
(I made the s lowercase so it didn't look as much like PMS... ;D)

An Open Letter to anyone suffering from anxiety, particularly those afraid to make your first post or continue posting!

8/30/17 - First Therapy! The road begins in earnest.
10/20/17 - First coming out (to my father)!
12/16/17 - BEGAN HRT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
5/21/18 - FIRST DAY OUT AS ME!!!!!!!!!
6/08/18 - 2,250 Hair Grafts
6/23/18 - FIRST PRIDE!
8/06/18 - 100%, completely out!
9/08/18 - I'M IN LOVE!!!!
2/27/19 - Name Change!

•  

zirconia

Provided that the implants are titanium, osseointegration should eventually occur. This means that if all goes well they will in effect fuse to the bone. I expect that the screws are there just to ensure there is no movement until this happens.

I really like Korea, and admire the courage with which they explore the bounds of cosmetic and other medicine. That said, I myself would not want to undergo this procedure. Once proven, it may be a boon for people whose hip width really bothers them, but I personally hate even the thought of having anything artificial implanted into me.

(Modified for grammar.)
  •  

Kendra

Ceramic coated iron costs less than titanium, and I can think of a fun game with magnets.
Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •  

Dena

Quote from: Kendra on February 10, 2018, 02:54:54 AM
Ceramic coated iron costs less than titanium, and I can think of a fun game with magnets.
Besides that, the number of metal detector you can set off at security check points.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

SonadoraXVX

As long as I don't get rheumatism, due to having a metal object in my body, like I hear some coworkers agonize when the weather shifts to more humid climates.

A Human Weather Vane.
To know thyself is to be blessed, but to know others is to prevent supreme headaches
Sun Tzu said it best, "To know thyself is half the battle won, but to know yourself and the enemy, is to win 100% of the battles".

•  

Dani

Quote from: Dena on February 10, 2018, 09:00:54 AM
Besides that, the number of metal detector you can set off at security check points.

I have been through several metal detectors at airports since getting my titanium hip implant five years ago.

Yes, I do set off the metal detectors, but I just tell the security people that I have a hip implant and they pat me down and I am good to go.

Not any problem at all.
  •  

Katherine Strawn

Medically speaking, this looks to be safe for the long term.  Let's hope the trials and success rates go really well!   :)
  •  

scienceman1969

Quote from: Kendra on February 10, 2018, 02:54:54 AM

Bone only accepts Titanium as a permanent implant, it even tries to grow around it and absorb it! Everything else will loosen up much faster.
  •