Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Is it true that being Trans is Trendy now and non-trans people take hormones?

Started by Asakawa, February 09, 2018, 01:03:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asakawa

I've been reading some talk about how being trans is now a trend and that some non-trans people take hrt just because even though they are not trans. Is this true? I'm pretty out of the loop when it comes down to social stuff, but the subject seems to come up every now and then and I am very limited on the cultural info factor.
  •  

TinaVane

I never heard of no bs like that ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
C'est Si Bon
  •  

virtualverny

i don't think it's a trend as much as it is more socially acceptable - more and more trans people are coming out, which makes it seem like it's becoming popular when in reality we've just been hiding in the shadows  :P but i've heard of a couple of cases of people pretending to be trans, which is probably down to their own misinterpretations, and i've also heard a lot of debates on whether it's possible to be trans without dysphoria (despite the fact that if you have no gender dysphoria whatsoever, then that means you're fine with your assigned gender, which definitely isn't trans!). a term i have been hearing a lot tho is 'transtrender', which means somebody who 'acts trans' because it's trendy. personally, i think that while there are people who do think of transness as a fashionable thing, i think it's unfair that the term is commonly linked to people who are questioning their gender and experimenting with hormones. just my two cents :)
  •  

Allison S

Maybe for children and teenagers. But as an adult, and yes I'm biased, I can't imagine anyone would go through seeing doctors, therapists and taking hormones just because it's a trend. I know it's something I actively avoided and surpressed for so long.

I do think we're at a pivotal time when people can finally express themselves everywhere on the spectrum. It's still not easy but we're not alone

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

•  

Denise

I can give you an analogy: left handed

Prior to 1920ish left handed people were chastised.  But about that time a medical explanation for it was discovered and people were no longer ashamed to be left handed.  It took a few decades but left handed people "are all over the place."

Gender Dysphoria is a thing.  People are starting to realize it and accept it.  Therefore our numbers increase.

Before mid October 2015 I would have never put a check next to transgender. I've come to realize that if I thought it, so did someone else.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

1st Person out: 16-Oct-2015
Restarted Spironolactone 26-Aug-2016
Restarted Estradiol Valerate: 02-Nov-2016
Full time: 02-Mar-2017
Breast Augmentation (Schechter): 31-Oct-2017
FFS (Walton in Chicago): 25-Sep-2018
Vaginoplasty (Schechter): 13-Dec-2018

A haiku in honor of my grandmother who loved them.

The Voices are Gone
Living Life to the Fullest
I am just Denise
  •  

Morgan78

If being trans* is trendy, it's a bleeping stupid trend. We don't risk endangering our relationships with our judgemental friends and family for the fun of it or to be cool.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

•  

kitchentablepotpourri

Parody of Mathew McConaughey commercial:

Obligatory cis actor cast to play trans role:  I didn't do it to be cool.  I didn't do it to start a trend.
I just did it because it feels right; it's who I am, and I'm living my truth!  So think about that the next time you decide to be cool and dose estrogen at your next rave party! (cue record scratch sound effect)

What, taking hormones to be cool? Please tell me that's not a thing!
  •  

Phoenix1742

First thing - consider the source.

Most articles I've seen that call it out as trendy are the same sources that rally for bathroom bills and against gay marriage. They are trying to de-legitimize being transgender by framing it as a trendy phase.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

•  

Katie Jade

Quote from: Denise on February 09, 2018, 01:50:46 PM

Before mid October 2015 I would have never put a check next to transgender. I've come to realize that if I thought it, so did someone else.

Totally agree, I would have imploded if the last several years hadnt moved Trans so much more from marginalised / despised /  to generally mainstream even if they still don't understand but there is more understanding that it is difficult and we are just trying to be happy in our skins .
Katie

Post Op Sept 2023...... that took a very long time....
  •  

VickyS

This is something that worries me when coming out that people think I'm doing it because either I'm bored or it's trendy.  I think that line of thought comes about because they have NO IDEA about gender dysphoria and the bloody living hell that it can be. 

No one would want to go through that voluntarily! Then loosing family, being in a minority group with a disgusting amount of suicides (40%?), being laughed at, spat at, beaten up, going through incredible amounts of physical pain and financial ruin.  No, personally I don't think it's 'trendy' to go through that.  >:(
Came out to self: mid Oct 17                   Last haircut: 3rd Nov 17       
Came out to wife: 17th Jan 18                 Therapy started: 1st Mar 18
Electrolysis started: 10th Apr 18              Referred to GIC: 16th May 18
  •  

krobinson103

Being trans is hardly the easiest thing to do. There wouldn't be many who would go through the process just fun or a trend. Especially since there are long term consequences that a person happy with their gender wouldn't want.
Every day is a totally awesome day
Every day provides opportunities and challenges
Every challenge leads to an opportunity
Every fear faced leads to one more strength
Every strength leads to greater success
Success leads to self esteem
Self Esteem leads to happiness.
Cherish every day.
  •  

Katie Jade

When told of  my transition , My sister in law, who I have known for 50 years (I'm 55 she is 58), said "that's his choice", I am set for some gentle re-education for her I think. It seems many think its difficult but grouped in with 'Lifestyle choice' stuff. Mine was getting perilously close to choose, or end up  not existing.. not a choice really.
Keep safe
Katie
>:-) >:-) >:-) :angel: >:-) >:-) >:-)
Note; Angels/Devils indicate my annoyance level..

•  

KathyLauren

I don't know about trendy.  But then I didn't know about eating Tide Pods as being trendy either, so that may not mean much.

However, within the last week, I saw a post where a cis woman was advocating taking T to relieve PMS symptoms.  So who knows what wacky things people will try?
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

Shambles

Would anyone choose to be trans? Thats the real question here. I cant see how anyone would choose this
- Jo / Joanna

Pre-HRT Trans-Fem
16th Nov 17 - Came out to myself
7th Jan 18 - Came out to wife
31st Jan 18 - Referred to GIC / might be seen in 2020
Oct 18 - Fully out at one job, part out at another
Nov 18 - Out to close family
  •  

Shambles

Quote from: VickyS on February 09, 2018, 02:12:00 PM
This is something that worries me when coming out that people think I'm doing it because either I'm bored or it's trendy.  I think that line of thought comes about because they have NO IDEA about gender dysphoria and the bloody living hell that it can be. 

No one would want to go through that voluntarily! Then loosing family, being in a minority group with a disgusting amount of suicides (40%?), being laughed at, spat at, beaten up, going through incredible amounts of physical pain and financial ruin.  No, personally I don't think it's 'trendy' to go through that.  >:(

I read somewhere in the region of 25-40% of trans people had atleast one suicide bid, i thought that was way way too high to be true.... then i looked back on my own feelings

I dont worry about anyone thinkig its a trend when i come out its more is this a phase or a sexual kink.

If the pop of people identifiying as trans goes up yes theres a trend in data terms but i cant ever see how its trendy
- Jo / Joanna

Pre-HRT Trans-Fem
16th Nov 17 - Came out to myself
7th Jan 18 - Came out to wife
31st Jan 18 - Referred to GIC / might be seen in 2020
Oct 18 - Fully out at one job, part out at another
Nov 18 - Out to close family
  •  

steph2.0

Quote from: Phoenix1742 on February 09, 2018, 02:06:04 PM
First thing - consider the source.

Most articles I've seen that call it out as trendy are the same sources that rally for bathroom bills and against gay marriage. They are trying to de-legitimize being transgender by framing it as a trendy phase.

Exactly! Mic drop for Phoenix!

- Stephanie

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

ChrissyRyan

There is a lot involved so it is not anything to take lightly. 

Is it trendy?  I do not know.

Do many people transition because just because they think it is a trendy thing to do?  Unlikely.

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

Asakawa

Quote from: Allison S on February 09, 2018, 01:13:10 PM
Maybe for children and teenagers. But as an adult, and yes I'm biased, I can't imagine anyone would go through seeing doctors, therapists and taking hormones just because it's a trend. I know it's something I actively avoided and surpressed for so long.

I do think we're at a pivotal time when people can finally express themselves everywhere on the spectrum. It's still not easy but we're not alone

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

But if it is for children and teenagers instead of adults wouldn't that have more consequences because they are still int he developing phase of their bodies and minds? That is if they do take hormones since if they don't then there shouldn't be too much of lasting effects since hormones change the body and brain. I wonder what sort of things we will hear and see at around 10 years from now?
  •  

Drexy/Drex

I did a lot of reading  while moving forward  one of the things i first read was this
Some cautionary tales collected by a researcher

http://ai.eecs.umich.edu/people/conway/TS/Warning.html

I would say it would be  rare but then there are some people who will take "experimental " to the extremes

I had a thought at the beginning  that no man in his right mind would ever have  the thought its not something a man thinks about if he's  male it was a kind of realization 
Everything
  Louder
   Than
Everything
    Else
  •  

Katie Jade

Which is why some informed Gender clinics only prescribe puberty blockers to adolescents , to stop the onset of puberty until the child is more aware of their true gender. Just prescribing hormones too easily too early without a very good reason is insensitive and illogical to me.
Katie
>:-)

•