Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

How to set expectations

Started by Maya2018, August 04, 2018, 12:11:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maya2018

OK. Met with my therapist. Check. Admitted to myself. Check. Talked to wife. Check. Now for the easy part? I am a large guy. 49 yo, 6 ft and 290 lbs. I am sure the weight issues are 2 decades of sad eating and my GP has recommended a gastric bypass. Former cyclist and swimmer, so still carry a lot of muscle calves, thighs, and shoulders, but at my heaviest when I was competitive was maybe 185. I am wide and carry the weight well. if/when I start HRT, what can I possibly expect? Everyone her seems to say to get the weight off first then do HRT. If I do the bypass and then wait 12-18 months, can I expect to melt off a lot of muscle at that point? Will the bypass harm the effects of HRT because of nutrition issues? Really just looking for someone who has had the same weight struggle and come out the other side.
  •  

Gertrude

I went keto. I'm 6'5, was 382, down to 234 in 13 months. Going for 220-225. We'll see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  •  

tgirlamg

Hi Maya...

Welcome to the forum dear sister!... I hope all is well...

I started HRT at 52 and I lost 30+ lbs of muscle weight ... most all of that in the first 1-1.5 years... ( 165+ down to 135 now at 5'8")...my upper body was not overly bulky but well muscled,l ike a swimmer, from years of surfing... the last of the muscle to melt away was the back muscle... as that faded away, it further shrank my underbust measurement ( pre hormones 37" underbust and now about 31")
...With patience, HRT can bring a lot of change...

I was low body fat to begin with between surfing, running and a paleo diet but as you ponder your path forward... take into consideration that you will likely see some weight loss due to muscle loss and some body fat will work in your favor as it moves into hips butt and boobs!

All good things to you as you journey forward dear sister!!!

Ashley 😀❤️🌻
"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment" ... Ralph Waldo Emerson 🌸

"The individual has always had to struggle from being overwhelmed by the tribe... But, no price is too high for the privilege of owning yourself" ... Rudyard Kipling 🌸

Let go of the things that no longer serve you... Let go of the pretense of the false persona, it is not you... Let go of the armor that you have worn for a lifetime, to serve the expectations of others and, to protect the woman inside... She needs protection no longer.... She is tired of hiding and more courageous than you know... Let her prove that to you....Let her step out of the dark and feel the light upon her face.... amg🌸

Ashley's Corner: https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,247549.0.html 🌻
  •  

Maya2018

•