Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Hiding stubble with make-up

Started by Sinead, February 14, 2018, 11:41:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sinead

So I'm going to start practicing my makeup this weekend, but I need help hiding my stubble, I have dark skin (I am getting laser therapy, but I've heard that doesn't work straight away), any help would be great

•  

Roll

Hrrm. Well, for lighter skin, the trick is using something in the orange-red-pink spectrum under foundation. You can try it, but I'm not sure how it would blend with a darker foundation. When you use just foundation, how visible is it?
~ Ellie
■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■
I ALWAYS WELCOME PMs!
(I made the s lowercase so it didn't look as much like PMS... ;D)

An Open Letter to anyone suffering from anxiety, particularly those afraid to make your first post or continue posting!

8/30/17 - First Therapy! The road begins in earnest.
10/20/17 - First coming out (to my father)!
12/16/17 - BEGAN HRT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
5/21/18 - FIRST DAY OUT AS ME!!!!!!!!!
6/08/18 - 2,250 Hair Grafts
6/23/18 - FIRST PRIDE!
8/06/18 - 100%, completely out!
9/08/18 - I'M IN LOVE!!!!
2/27/19 - Name Change!

•  

RoryL

What works for me is lightly applying a color corrector on my beard shadow, followed by my foundation.

The correct shade of color correction, though, is the part to consider. I have very fair skin, and a soft peachy shade works  best to correct the bluish tone of my remaining beard.

Your shadow looks bluish gray to me, so maybe experiment with a bright orange shade of color corrector? A less expensive option while trying to find the right shade for your skin is to use a matte lipstick in a shade you think could work. Lightly & gently apply to your beard shadow with a makeup brush or your finger tips.

Good luck!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

"I will not have my life narrowed down. I will not bow down to somebody else's whim or to someone else's ignorance" - bell hooks

"The best mind-altering drug is the truth." - Lily Tomlin

•  

Sinead

Quote from: Roll on February 14, 2018, 12:43:43 PM
Hrrm. Well, for lighter skin, the trick is using something in the orange-red-pink spectrum under foundation. You can try it, but I'm not sure how it would blend with a darker foundation. When you use just foundation, how visible is it?

I've never applied my own make-up, but when others have, it's been very visible

Quote from: Amy Marie on February 14, 2018, 10:55:46 PM
What works for me is lightly applying a color corrector on my beard shadow, followed by my foundation.

The correct shade of color correction, though, is the part to consider. I have very fair skin, and a soft peachy shade works  best to correct the bluish tone of my remaining beard.

Your shadow looks bluish gray to me, so maybe experiment with a bright orange shade of color corrector? A less expensive option while trying to find the right shade for your skin is to use a matte lipstick in a shade you think could work. Lightly & gently apply to your beard shadow with a makeup brush or your finger tips.

Good luck!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I'll give that a go, thank you :). I think red lipstick would perhaps work best, luckily I've got a stick of some at home :)
  •  

Roll

What I usually do is the red lipstick or orange corrector, layer of slightly darker than skin tone mousse foundation blended with the red/orange tone over beard area, then foundation without the orange/red on rest of face. Then I go over it with a lighter (more my tone) loose mineral foundation and a setting powder. It's hit or miss, it's hard to get the exact amount of of correction. Sometimes it doesn't cover enough, other times it gives my face a jaundiced look around beard. Every now and then its perfect though.
~ Ellie
■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■
I ALWAYS WELCOME PMs!
(I made the s lowercase so it didn't look as much like PMS... ;D)

An Open Letter to anyone suffering from anxiety, particularly those afraid to make your first post or continue posting!

8/30/17 - First Therapy! The road begins in earnest.
10/20/17 - First coming out (to my father)!
12/16/17 - BEGAN HRT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
5/21/18 - FIRST DAY OUT AS ME!!!!!!!!!
6/08/18 - 2,250 Hair Grafts
6/23/18 - FIRST PRIDE!
8/06/18 - 100%, completely out!
9/08/18 - I'M IN LOVE!!!!
2/27/19 - Name Change!

•  

esphoria

This might be a silly question but do you shave against the grain with a straight edge. I find this the best way to get rid of it is just by making sure to clean your face before a shave and do this. also using a sharp razor of the right type does wonders. I personally use either a venus or mach III depending on my mood and area that I want to get rid of. even after shaving I do have roots in some of the area, which i cover up with concealer and foundation.

The best concealers I've found are Maybelline Master Conceal ($12-15 usd??)which you can pick up at Target,Walmart or probably any drug store and the better version with a huge color selection is Clinique beyond perfecting super concealer. The Clinique has a wide range of colors and a little goes a long...LONG way. I think it sets you back about 20 dollars and it is a Sephora exclusive so you will have to get it through them. I know its really hard when you're first starting out but I would recommend going in and swatching the concealers to find what works best for you, you'll save so much money if you do :) Oh yeah I'm a die hard Urban Decay girl so when I say the Clinique is amazing...hehe you get it.
I refuse to let negativity define me, I've let enough of others define me for long enough, I'm going to be the person I set out to be even if that means I drag myself kicking and screaming over thresholds to become the most amazing version of me.
Cheesy? Maybe... but why should that stop me ;)

-Jess

~-"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. "
  •  

Sinead

Quote from: Roll on February 15, 2018, 11:06:20 AM
What I usually do is the red lipstick or orange corrector, layer of slightly darker than skin tone mousse foundation blended with the red/orange tone over beard area, then foundation without the orange/red on rest of face. Then I go over it with a lighter (more my tone) loose mineral foundation and a setting powder. It's hit or miss, it's hard to get the exact amount of of correction. Sometimes it doesn't cover enough, other times it gives my face a jaundiced look around beard. Every now and then its perfect though.

I tried a red lipstick and l'oreal Foundation... it failed superbly, my plan was to use powder, but it didn't look good, so I thought it was pretty pointless.

Quote from: esphoria on February 15, 2018, 03:08:32 PM
This might be a silly question but do you shave against the grain with a straight edge. I find this the best way to get rid of it is just by making sure to clean your face before a shave and do this. also using a sharp razor of the right type does wonders. I personally use either a venus or mach III depending on my mood and area that I want to get rid of. even after shaving I do have roots in some of the area, which i cover up with concealer and foundation.

The best concealers I've found are Maybelline Master Conceal ($12-15 usd??)which you can pick up at Target,Walmart or probably any drug store and the better version with a huge color selection is Clinique beyond perfecting super concealer. The Clinique has a wide range of colors and a little goes a long...LONG way. I think it sets you back about 20 dollars and it is a Sephora exclusive so you will have to get it through them. I know its really hard when you're first starting out but I would recommend going in and swatching the concealers to find what works best for you, you'll save so much money if you do :) Oh yeah I'm a die hard Urban Decay girl so when I say the Clinique is amazing...hehe you get it.

That's what I did today, just went into a beauty/drugstore and swatched foundations against my skin. I try to shave against the grain, although I have been using hair removal cream more recently.

It just didn't work, I'm not sure why, maybe I used too much, or the wrong shade of lipstick, or foundation. I've emailed the woman who did my very first make-over to see if she can remember what she used to cover it
  •  

Maria77

Hi,

I'm mixed, so I know a bit about the problems of women of color.  You will need a heavy, full coverage foundation with shades for ethnic skin.    Dermablend cover creme is the best, heaviest full cover foundation.  (Don't buy the dermablend setting powder: it's only talc.)    Mac full coverage also may do the trick, but it's a bit less coverage.   Both are expensive as is Bobbi Brown stik.  Old school folks used Max Factor Panstick, which always seemed off to me, but it is far less pricey & available on Amazon.   Iman stick is a great product and since it is made for women of color has a good range of colors-medium to heavy coverage.   L'oreal true match probably has a good shade for you without themcoverage you will need.  I saw your other post and think with the lipsticks berry colors will do wonders. 
  •