News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

My doctor says I need to drink more wine

Started by TonyaW, February 15, 2018, 07:43:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gertrude

Quote from: TonyaW on February 17, 2018, 01:19:46 PM
Ok I get that.  She suggested it to me as a cholesterol controlling approach as my LDL was slightly elevated this last blood test.  I do know that to lose weight you need to burn more calories than you take in no matter what type of diet.  I've had some success with a lower red meat diet in the past. 

As far as the wine goes, I do drink it some and prefer the dry reds.  Just thought I would put a mildly amusing spin on it since  the Med diet does include red wine if you so desire.  It was also a triple coincidence that I got the email coupon at the same time that she suggested the diet and I had recently finished my last bottle.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I'm half Italian and there's nothing wrong with red wine with dinner. Grandpa lived until 87. He did eat a lot of pasta,but various greens, some not popular here, a decent amount of chicken, some pork and beef. I agree about weight and calories, but given a certain metabolism rate and calories burned outside of that, beyond what's needed in carbs will lead to more problems, IMO. Higher triglycerides, more body fat, higher blood sugar and more stress on the pancreas and liver, sometimes leading to fatty liver and diabetes. My cholesterol isn't much of a problem, but going Keto I took my triglycerides from 280 to 128. Diabetes runs in my fathers family as people reach 60-65, maybe 70. I don't want that. That said, benefits of red wine are probably limited to a glass or two a day. I've found that beer, even when I've made room calorically and carb wise are empty calories and stall my weight loss. I now only have Macallan rare and appropriately. I tried penn jillette's fuhrman diet nonsense and felt like crap all the time. Must have been missing something I need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  •  

Kylo

Well that's one prescription my ma would love but I wouldn't. Wine knocks me out.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •