Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Ignorant Doctors

Started by JaphyRiver, February 16, 2018, 01:41:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JaphyRiver

Hello everyone, I am new here- I have been searching for weeks for a place to post about this so I can get some feedback because I am lost!

I am trans-male and have been on T since 2004. I've never had any issues with my Dr.'s prescribing and monitoring it...

I moved from Albany, Oregon to Portland, Oregon in 2013 where I had the best care I could ask for and then recently when the city exploded with new people and money I was pushed out because my rent went up $400/yr. Long story short... I moved back to Salem, OR to settle but I have been  having the HARDEST time finding a Dr. in town who will agree to prescribe my T... which I've now been off of 4 months and counting.

My Portland Dr. prescribed me a year which lasted a while but recently  while visiting my pcp I made be mistake of asking about the T patch and just because I asked... and she said "no, we don't do that here. We don't prescribe hormones. You'll need to see someone else for that". She REMOVED tesosterone from my med list. I don't know if it was out of spite or what but now that it's off it cannot be out back on until I see someone who can prescribe it to me.

I've been very patient up until now... but I'm wearing thin. I need to get my hormones back on track. I've tried to see if someone in Portland will see me with my medical.  I have state medical. Everyone I've called has turned me down. I've also called the medical company and they are no help...

I am hoping by some miracle someone in here lives in Salem and can tell me who to see for my script OR at the very least someone that's been through a similar situation so I can get some advice.

Thank you for reading!!
  •  

AnonyMs

I don't know how things work over there, but if you had T on your med list she took it off perhaps you can't start framing it in terms of malpractice. I doubt she needs that kind of trouble.
  •  

Paige

Just a thought but have you tried Planned Parenthood transgender services?  Or is it possible to get your hormones with Informed Consent in Oregon?
  •  

Kendra

Hello JaphyRiver, welcome to Susan's.

As this was your first post, I'll add the site guidelines and information to help with navigation.

Things that you should read

Have you considered contacting your original doctor?  They might be able to quickly get you back on track, and once you're there you could ask them for help with a local referral - or an arrangement where a local doctor can check with your Portland doctor if they have questions regarding transgender care.  You mentioned already checking with several Portland area doctors but your original doctor already has your medical records on file and your situation is time sensitive - and you wouldn't be applying as a new patient.  Just a suggestion.

Great to see you here, and welcome!

Kendra
Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •  

Laurie

Quote from: JaphyRiver on February 16, 2018, 01:41:52 AM
Hello everyone, I am new here- I have been searching for weeks for a place to post about this so I can get some feedback because I am lost!

I am trans-male and have been on T since 2004. I've never had any issues with my Dr.'s prescribing and monitoring it...

I am hoping by some miracle someone in here lives in Salem and can tell me who to see for my script OR at the very least someone that's been through a similar situation so I can get some advice.

Thank you for reading!!

Hi JaphyRiver,

I am Laurie and I live up the road from you in Tualatin. Welcome to Susan's Place. Come on in and be welcome. Take a look around and there could be information you might like in our Wiki and Links sections that you can access by clicking on the words above. I have no direct help for you in the Salem area but I do know there are at least a couple members here that might be able to help.
  I did find the link for SalemPride and you might start there. they should be able to help direct you where you can go for services. You may just have a grievance to pursue about that doctor. Oregon requires insurance companies to provide at least basic services to the LGBTQ+ community. I would question the doctors' ability to just remove your prescription from the list of medications for you w/o cause.
  I hope you find a resolution soon.

Hugs,
  Laurie
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

Dena

I googled "transgender care salem, or" and had several possible places to research. One only offered care up to 18 years of age but you could contact them and find out what they do with people leaving the program. While many may not be able to provide testosterone, they may be good for a referral.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •