Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Eyeliner

Started by SashaHyde, February 17, 2018, 04:12:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SashaHyde

How do you keep it from not getting in your eye?
I seem to have mascara down easy enough however I pretty much straight up jabbed myself in the eye with liquid liner. I want wings.
Is a pencil better?

Thanks

--Shasha
--Sasha  :P
  •  

KathyLauren

I use a pencil eyeliner, but I can never get it to "write".  It works fine on my hand, but does nothing on my eyelids.  I've pretty much given up on it.  I'm cutting back on my makeup these days anyway.  Usually just a bit of lippy and mascara, with a touch of foundation over my latest electrolysis burn.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

Chelsea

I use a pen eyeliner from Almay that works very well.  I would add a pic of it but I'm still new here.

Chelsea
First Therapy Appointment 2-26-18
Came Out To Sister 2-27-18
First Endocrinologist Appointment 3-7-18
Started HRT! 3-7-18
First Voice Therapy Appointment 4-23-18
Came out to my Brother!!!! 5-3-18
Came out to MOM!!!! 5-17-18

•  

Julia1996

I use loreal infallible 24 hour gel liner.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Lady Lisandra

Do you mean not hitting yourself in the eye with the eyeliner? Well, that's pretty much impossible, but it will rarely happen once you get enough practice.
- Lis -
  •  

jill610

Ladies, start with a pencil. They are easiest to learn imo. Go to Ulta or Sephora or some place like that and get a couple pencils and a sharpener. The urban decay one is like $20 and great but the ulta one is only like $4 and probably just as good. I personally like the NYX pencils because they are relatively cheap, stay on until I take it off and are easy to sharpen.

Anyways, I had a couple cis friends show me what they do and they had the same issue lol. Anyways it's all practice.  Hold the corner of your eyelid and pull a bit to stretch it and then with the pencil make short strokes. You need a little pressure but not a lot. If you mess up it's way easier to fix than gel which I find a little annoying because it sticks like road tar and is hard to get off once it dries.

With the liquid one, you need to think painting, not drawing. Use the whole of the bristle not just the tip and it's more of a place and drag kinda action.

YouTube has a ton of great videos on technique as well.

•  

JinnieY

I personally find it easier to start from the corner of the eye and draw it backward (toward the nose) with that eye closed (the other eye open to see if you are drawing a straight line). You could try to use eye shadow to help you with the shape of the wings (since it's easy to just use a Qtip to wipe off any part of the eye shadow wing). It's easy to start with a pencil liner but in my opinion it smears so easily and I couldn't draw a precise thin and smooth line with a pencil. I prefer to use the liquid liner and use eye shadow to stack on the wings and blend it so they look more natural and not too sharp. If you are afraid that you couldn't "fill in the blanks" (eyeliner above the lash line and leaving a thin flesh color line) when you draw your wings, you could lift your chin upwards a little and look at the mirror to draw the wings. And of course, it takes time to practice and get the wings you want and deserve! Good luck!
  •  

Jenny94

Egh, if it gets in your eye, it doesn't matter. (Someone let me know if it does - the last 20 times haven't turned me blind XD)

At the mo I'm just using a pencil, running it along the waterline (between lashes and eyeball), and yeah, it hits the eyeball, but it doesn't seem to matter...........just blink a lot, give yourself a minute, and f'ing carry on :O Though my eyes are actually a bit tired right now, I'm gonna give them a break tomorrow.

J xxx
"Now I'm dancing with Delilah and her vision is mine" - Florence and the Machine.
  •  

Jennifer.Diamonds

love this subject.. I love makeup, from an artist's perspective rather than a woman's.

So to start with I am using the following from Target:
Maybelline Eye Studio Gel Eyeliner - Comes in a little glass cup like brow dip
Sonia Kashuk brush no. 107 (Wasn't happy with the mac no.209 or 210)
Neutrogena fragrance free makeup wipes
Straight edged, paper medical tape

1. Take about a 2-3 inch long piece of tape, angle it under your eye facing out  towards your temple. This is your wing stencil.
2. Wet your brush using a makeup wipe, it makes the gel go onto your skin much smoother
3. slide your brush from the center to the outside of your gel liner cup, lightly, a little goes a long way
4. work your way from the inside by your nose, to the outside, in short strokes like using a paint brush. Don't worry about those youtubers that do it in one stroke, those people sold their soul to the devil to do so. Just keep slowly filling it until you have it the way you want it.
5. apply whatever eyeshadow you want then remove the tape and touch up anything that you aren't happy with. I like to go back and fill out the underside of my wings after I take the tape off.

My eyeliner and eyeshadow takes me about 10 minutes. 20 If i'm doing something more runway-like
As far as poking yourself in the eye.. tilt your head back so you're looking "down" at the mirror. That helped me a lot when I first started learning to apply eye makeup. If you have any questions feel free to ask me :)

<3
-Jenna
  •  

Mendi

Switch to gel eyeliner. Much easier to apply too and with much better result. At least for me it suits well.
  •  

CallMeKatie

I can't do liquid. It goes everywhere and if I do jab my eye obvious reflex and it goes on to my face. Haha
I much prefer the pencil, although you do have to go over a few times
  •  

Jennifer.Diamonds

Quote from: CallMeKatie on February 19, 2018, 06:02:56 AM
I can't do liquid. It goes everywhere and if I do jab my eye obvious reflex and it goes on to my face. Haha
I much prefer the pencil, although you do have to go over a few times

Gel, not liquid.
And how are you stabbing yourself in the eye??? It's makeup, not a spear lol
  •  

jill610

Support your hand with your other hand or your cheekbone, that does wonders for not stabbing your eye [emoji3] and lots of practice. I like gel most but use the pencil most often because I'm getting ready at 430 in the morning and super lazy

•  

CallMeKatie

Quote from: Jennifer.Diamonds on February 19, 2018, 06:07:14 AM
Gel, not liquid.
And how are you stabbing yourself in the eye??? It's makeup, not a spear lol

The liquid one I have is like a spike and I am have quite shaky hands (nerves, caffeine, low blood sugar)
  •  

Jennifer.Diamonds

Quote from: CallMeKatie on February 19, 2018, 07:43:32 AM
The liquid one I have is like a spike and I am have quite shaky hands (nerves, caffeine, low blood sugar)

Well calm down on the caffeine and have a beer to even out those shakes and get that blood sugar up. You sound like
you're a locomotive trying to do your eye liner haha
But seriously, beer. And tilt your head back like I mentioned above in my mini-tutorial! haha

<3
-Jenna
  •  

Chelsea

Quote from: Jennifer.Diamonds on February 19, 2018, 08:19:03 AM
Well calm down on the caffeine and have a beer to even out those shakes and get that blood sugar up. You sound like
you're a locomotive trying to do your eye liner haha
But seriously, beer. And tilt your head back like I mentioned above in my mini-tutorial! haha

<3
-Jenna

Jennifer Diamonds thank you for the tutorial. I was already doing my eyeliner almost like you described all but the wetting my brush with makeup wipes. Unreal how much easier it is now.  (still a newbie lol)
Little tricks like that make all the difference.

Hugs

Chelsea
First Therapy Appointment 2-26-18
Came Out To Sister 2-27-18
First Endocrinologist Appointment 3-7-18
Started HRT! 3-7-18
First Voice Therapy Appointment 4-23-18
Came out to my Brother!!!! 5-3-18
Came out to MOM!!!! 5-17-18

•  

Jennifer.Diamonds

Quote from: Chelsea1807 on February 19, 2018, 10:18:14 AM
Jennifer Diamonds thank you for the tutorial. I was already doing my eyeliner almost like you described all but the wetting my brush with makeup wipes. Unreal how much easier it is now.  (still a newbie lol)
Little tricks like that make all the difference.

Hugs

Chelsea

I'm glad it helped someone!

<3
-Jenna
  •  

Julia1996

Quote from: Jennifer.Diamonds on February 19, 2018, 03:09:29 AM
love this subject.. I love makeup, from an artist's perspective rather than a woman's.

So to start with I am using the following from Target:
Maybelline Eye Studio Gel Eyeliner - Comes in a little glass cup like brow dip
Sonia Kashuk brush no. 107 (Wasn't happy with the mac no.209 or 210)
Neutrogena fragrance free makeup wipes
Straight edged, paper medical tape

1. Take about a 2-3 inch long piece of tape, angle it under your eye facing out  towards your temple. This is your wing stencil.
2. Wet your brush using a makeup wipe, it makes the gel go onto your skin much smoother
3. slide your brush from the center to the outside of your gel liner cup, lightly, a little goes a long way
4. work your way from the inside by your nose, to the outside, in short strokes like using a paint brush. Don't worry about those youtubers that do it in one stroke, those people sold their soul to the devil to do so. Just keep slowly filling it until you have it the way you want it.
5. apply whatever eyeshadow you want then remove the tape and touch up anything that you aren't happy with. I like to go back and fill out the underside of my wings after I take the tape off.

My eyeliner and eyeshadow takes me about 10 minutes. 20 If i'm doing something more runway-like
As far as poking yourself in the eye.. tilt your head back so you're looking "down" at the mirror. That helped me a lot when I first started learning to apply eye makeup. If you have any questions feel free to ask me :)

<3
-Jenna
I agree with you about artistry and makeup skills. I once went with my boyfriend to have one of his tattoos filled in. This was before my birthday and Tristan told me he would pay for me to get permanent eyeliner as a birthday present. The guy doing his tattoo said he had some time and he could do it after he was finished with Tristan. I was like " YOU can do it?????" He said sure he could and he handed me a book with pictures of different types of permanent makeup and told me he had done all of them. The pictures all looked great. I just looked at him. This guy goes by the name Bam, is huge, has more tattoos than bare skin, looks like he belongs in a biker gang and like he would gut you if you looked at him wrong. He laughed and said make up was really just drawing and then filling it in which was the same thing he did with all tattoos. Until he said that I had never thought of it like that.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Jennifer.Diamonds

Quote from: Julia1996 on February 19, 2018, 10:42:29 AM
I agree with you about artistry and makeup skills. I once went with my boyfriend to have one of his tattoos filled in. This was before my birthday and Tristan told me he would pay for me to get permanent eyeliner as a birthday present. The guy doing his tattoo said he had some time and he could do it after he was finished with Tristan. I was like " YOU can do it?????" He said sure he could and he handed me a book with pictures of different types of permanent makeup and told me he had done all of them. The pictures all looked great. I just looked at him. This guy goes by the name Bam, is huge, has more tattoos than bare skin, looks like he belongs in a biker gang and like he would gut you if you looked at him wrong. He laughed and said make up was really just drawing and then filling it in which was the same thing he did with all tattoos. Until he said that I had never thought of it like that.

Tattooing is my favorite artistic outlet! Something about getting the perfect tune on a machine and having it evenly jab hundreds of holes into someone's flesh to form a masterpiece that will only be in the world as long as the owner is? Love it. haha
  •  

SashaHyde

Whats your opinion about permanent tattooed makeup?
I'm thinking about it however I worry makeup like fashion has different trends and what I get done will be dated down the road.

--Sasha
--Sasha  :P
  •