Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Changing Therapists?

Started by sam.i.am, February 21, 2018, 08:59:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sam.i.am

I've been seeing the same gender therapist for some time now...actually was seeing two at once for two weeks, to decide which one was a better fit. The one I felt was, wasn't an option due to distance conflicting with work obligations, etc. Anyway, I've never been in therapy for gender identity issues, so I don't really know how it works...

I feel like mine might not be right for me? I feel good when I leave/ getting things off my chest- no pun intended- and just overall more at ease...but the thing is..I don't feel like I am being asked much, by her. I openly identify as Trans with her and my circle of friends, family, girlfriend- which I guess, my question comes into play-

Are you asked less questions about your wants/needs etc when you are already out?

I just am not sure if I am getting what I wanted/ needed/ how others have experienced (not referencing HRT) from her, or if I just had an idea of what it would be like and now I feel like it's less than expected?

-Sam
  •  

Allison S

Have you tried telling them? You can just say what you prefer they do.

I personally don't like switching therapists and having to explain myself all over again.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

•  

KathyLauren

My experience with therapists is limited, but my impression is that they don't take the initiative.  It's up to the client to steer the conversation.  "What I want is X.  How do I get there?" is a perfectly reasonable request, and what I suspect most therapists are expecting.

When I went to my first therapist, I told her that I was pretty sure I was trans, and that I wanted to confirm that and get started on hormones.  That gave her a pretty clear indication of where I wanted to go, and she was then able to ask the necessary questions to get the information she needed. 

Same with my second therapist.  (I switched because the first no longer writes referral letters.)  I went in saying that I'd been 10 months on HRT and 7 months full-time, and I wanted to get started on getting referred for surgery.  I also had a clear idea of one issue I needed to get resolved in my mind before proceeding.  By being clear on what I wanted, she was able to help me quickly, and I got my referral letter.

By taking charge of my therapy, my sessions went quite quickly.  Had I gone in with less specific needs, such as "I'm broken.  Fix me," I suspect I would still be seeing them.

If there's something on your mind that you want to work on, don't wait for her to ask.  Tell her up front.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

sam.i.am

Thanks for the replies, sorry so busy with work lately. But yes Allison S- I agree (explaining over again). I will mention this when I go this week, and instead of just me jumping into things tell her she can start and ask me whatever..so theres no hour long tangent on my end. 
  •  

sam.i.am

and thanks @kathylauren. I think so too, she is just trying to feel me out (in a sense). I just have a hard time after all these years staying on topic and getting my point across. Maybe ill mention that to her too... It's mostly revolving around my girlfriend but you're right, I'm leading her that way.

Thanks for the advice :)
  •  

Meghan

I was upfront with my Therapist from beginning that I am Transgender and we been talking about that ever since. She was agreed with me that I am a trans woman and I need to transition.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Meghan Pham: MtF Transgender, Transsexual, Transwoman, social justice, Caregivers, Certified Nurse Assistant
  •