Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Temptations

Started by MollyPants, February 22, 2018, 03:34:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MollyPants

Right so I've been working out almost every day with a couple of apps on my phone. My aim is to lose most of my body fat so I've got a clean slate for when I start HRT. And also to try and build muscle in my bum and legs which, fingers crossed, will help my figure. I'm also using a cross trainer about 3/4 times a week for between half an hour and one hour each time.

I've had some good results trimming down my waistline but my weight had stayed static so I can only assume I've bulked up :/.

My main issue though is temptation. I'm very much the kind of person who, if it's there, will devour an entire multipack of crisps, chocolates, biscuits. Anything I can eat without cooking that isn't healthy it seems! My normal strategy is not to buy these things so then I can't eat them but my partner and my colleagues have different ideas!

With that in mind I wondered how other people manage temptation and also what are your main food weaknesses?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

•  

Deborah

My main food temptation is cookies and candy bars.  I rarely can eat just one and once I get started on sugar/carbs it screws up my appetite signals and I'll easily eat a whole package of cookies and maybe five or six candy bars after supper.

Managing it is simply a matter of eating a good diet with a lot of vegetables, fairly high fat, and fairly low carb.  That makes me feel full, even with a calorie deficit.  Then it's just a matter of choosing not to get started on the sugar.

I also fast every day and only eat around 6:00 pm and stop by around 9:00 pm.  That keeps my blood sugar steady throughout the day and also biases my body to burn fat rather than sugar.  That helps a lot with the cravings too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

Julia1996

My biggest temptation is chocolate. I'm very happy it's close enough to Easter for the Cadbury cream eggs to be in the stores. I so LOVE those things. But anyway, I have to keep sweets and junk food in the house because I live with 3 guys. I just make sure I have plenty of my own snacks. I'm totally bad about eating stuff while I watch TV. So I eat healthy stuff. I make all kinds of chips with my food dehydrator. Beet chips, carrot chips, kale chips, etc. I season and salt them well so I can eat something salty without eating high calorie potato chips and stuff like that. Seaweed chips are really good too. I like the ones with wasabi powder. Flavored ricecakes are good too. My boyfriend calls them Styrofoam crisps. Air popped popcorn is good too. I don't like unflavored popcorn so I use herbs and seasonings in mine. If you crave sweets you can eat fruits. Dried apricots, pineapple chips, apple chips and banana chips are all really good. The pineapple chips are addictive. Or you can just eat fruit in its natural state. I'm really bad about craving carbonated drinks so I drink soda water. It gives you carbonation without calories. I love the taste of soda water but if you don't like it you can flavor it with fruit juice or even those packets of crystal light for water bottles. There is diet soda too but I find all diet soda disgusting.

When everyone else is snacking on high calorie stuff it helps to have your own snacks you can eat.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Transfused

My biggest Temptation are muscly guys.
I was already boy-crazy pre-HRT but now cute boys immediately catch my eye and can make me so weak in the knees.
During my classes at university I'm busy much more with fantasizing about the cute guys around me than about what the professor has to say.
There is even one professor I fantasize about.

My type of guy is Christian from 50 shades of Grey. I was so jealous of Anna, that she got to have Christian! Lol

Boys can be so heavenly.
On estrogen my skin reacts differently and when a guy touches me I can immediately become so dreamy, hyper and numb at the same time that I would beg him to book a room. Lol
  •  

MollyPants

Quote from: Deborah on February 22, 2018, 05:23:26 AM
My main food temptation is cookies and candy bars.  I rarely can eat just one and once I get started on sugar/carbs it screws up my appetite signals and I'll easily eat a whole package of cookies and maybe five or six candy bars after supper.

Managing it is simply a matter of eating a good diet with a lot of vegetables, fairly high fat, and fairly low carb.  That makes me feel full, even with a calorie deficit.  Then it's just a matter of choosing not to get started on the sugar.

I also fast every day and only eat around 6:00 pm and stop by around 9:00 pm.  That keeps my blood sugar steady throughout the day and also biases my body to burn fat rather than sugar.  That helps a lot with the cravings too.

Hi Deborah. I do try to have a healthy diet (honest!!) Haha. I have also contemplated trying fasting, the problem is I get so hangry when I don't eat so it's a nightmare for anyone me around me. That and I have no willpower if food is near me! It's really impressive that you manage to do that.

•  

MollyPants

Quote from: Julia1996 on February 22, 2018, 10:08:59 AM
My biggest temptation is chocolate. I'm very happy it's close enough to Easter for the Cadbury cream eggs to be in the stores. I so LOVE those things. But anyway, I have to keep sweets and junk food in the house because I live with 3 guys. I just make sure I have plenty of my own snacks. I'm totally bad about eating stuff while I watch TV. So I eat healthy stuff. I make all kinds of chips with my food dehydrator. Beet chips, carrot chips, kale chips, etc. I season and salt them well so I can eat something salty without eating high calorie potato chips and stuff like that. Seaweed chips are really good too. I like the ones with wasabi powder. Flavored ricecakes are good too. My boyfriend calls them Styrofoam crisps. Air popped popcorn is good too. I don't like unflavored popcorn so I use herbs and seasonings in mine. If you crave sweets you can eat fruits. Dried apricots, pineapple chips, apple chips and banana chips are all really good. The pineapple chips are addictive. Or you can just eat fruit in its natural state. I'm really bad about craving carbonated drinks so I drink soda water. It gives you carbonation without calories. I love the taste of soda water but if you don't like it you can flavor it with fruit juice or even those packets of crystal light for water bottles. There is diet soda too but I find all diet soda disgusting.

When everyone else is snacking on high calorie stuff it helps to have your own snacks you can eat.
I've definitely managed to cut out a lot of the crisps and biscuits by not having boys in the house. However this just means we have loads wine, chocolate and Ben and Jerry's about all the time!! As if you only get creme eggs at Easter, we get them all year round here :) this is a bit of novel recipe I thought you might appreciate...

http://www.goodhousekeeping.co.uk/food/food-news/chocolate-scotch-egg-recipe

I really love wasabi peas. They're good as a snack because the burning sensation helps to stop me having too many! I'm really partial to sausage rolls if I can get hold of them. Or any sort of cheese and biscuits.

Sugar cravings are really strong when they hit but I think my Achilles heel is savoury food. It's so good!

•  

Deborah

Quote from: MollyPants on February 22, 2018, 11:19:32 AM
Hi Deborah. I do try to have a healthy diet (honest!!) Haha. I have also contemplated trying fasting, the problem is I get so hangry when I don't eat so it's a nightmare for anyone me around me. That and I have no willpower if food is near me! It's really impressive that you manage to do that.

Once your body adapts to it fasting all day is very easy.  What happens is that there are physiological changes at the cellular level that allow the body to more readily access and use its stored fat.  Then it's not burning through its sugar stores and blood sugar never crashes.  That crash in blood sugar is what causes hunger in those whose metabolism is primarily sugar based.  Also, your liver will create glucose from amino acids if needed to stabilize blood sugar.

These changes will happen to everyone once they shut down the constant intake of carbs and reduce the chronic blood levels of insulin.  You can accomplish this either through a low carb/Keto diet phase or simply through fasting.  It usually takes anywhere from one to six weeks depending on your current metabolism.

The only downside is that it really sucks while your body readjusts and you may feel really hungry at times and lack energy.  It's worth it though because the result is greatly reduced hunger all day, no blood sugar crashes ever, constant energy all day, and improved mental focus.

Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

Julia1996

Quote from: MollyPants on February 22, 2018, 11:26:20 AM
I've definitely managed to cut out a lot of the crisps and biscuits by not having boys in the house. However this just means we have loads wine, chocolate and Ben and Jerry's about all the time!! As if you only get creme eggs at Easter, we get them all year round here :) this is a bit of novel recipe I thought you might appreciate...

http://www.goodhousekeeping.co.uk/food/food-news/chocolate-scotch-egg-recipe

I really love wasabi peas. They're good as a snack because the burning sensation helps to stop me having too many! I'm really partial to sausage rolls if I can get hold of them. Or any sort of cheese and biscuits.

Sugar cravings are really strong when they hit but I think my Achilles heel is savoury food. It's so good!

OMG! I Cadbury egg wrapped in a brownie with chocolate sprinkles!! I'm drooling. I want those! !  I had my first cream egg of the season last night. My brother saw them at the store when he was getting gas and got me a couple. He and my dad don't like them. They totally skeeze Tristan out. I explained to him its not a real egg, it's candy but even the idea of it skeezes him out. Raw egg yolk makes him sick, he can't stand the sight of it even. When I make him eggs, if its fried the yolk has to be cooked solid. The first time I ever made him a fried egg he cut into it and the yolk flooded his plate. He actually turned a little green. Lol.  Poor thing.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

MollyPants

Quote from: Transfused on February 22, 2018, 10:14:09 AM
My biggest Temptation are muscly guys.
I was already boy-crazy pre-HRT but now cute boys immediately catch my eye and can make me so weak in the knees.
During my classes at university I'm busy much more with fantasizing about the cute guys around me than about what the professor has to say.
There is even one professor I fantasize about.

My type of guy is Christian from 50 shades of Grey. I was so jealous of Anna, that she got to have Christian! Lol

Boys can be so heavenly.
On estrogen my skin reacts differently and when a guy touches me I can immediately become so dreamy, hyper and numb at the same time that I would beg him to book a room. Lol
Now that's a temptation! I reckon hot guys fall in the good bucket cos they don't make me put on weight... Lol.

•  

MollyPants

Quote from: Julia1996 on February 22, 2018, 11:37:04 AM
OMG! I Cadbury egg wrapped in a brownie with chocolate sprinkles!! I'm drooling. I want those! !  I had my first cream egg of the season last night. My brother saw them at the store when he was getting gas and got me a couple. He and my dad don't like them. They totally skeeze Tristan out. I explained to him its not a real egg, it's candy but even the idea of it skeezes him out. Raw egg yolk makes him sick, he can't stand the sight of it even. When I make him eggs, if its fried the yolk has to be cooked solid. The first time I ever made him a fried egg he cut into it and the yolk flooded his plate. He actually turned a little green. Lol.  Poor thing.
I'm gonna have to make one this year I think :) I used to love the creme eggs but they're too sweet for me to have many of them now :( omg how funny! I don't get how people can eat solid egg yolk, it has to be runny. How're you gonna dip stuff in it otherwise!!!

•  

MollyPants

Quote from: Deborah on February 22, 2018, 11:36:56 AM
Once your body adapts to it fasting all day is very easy.  What happens is that there are physiological changes at the cellular level that allow the body to more readily access and use its stored fat.  Then it's not burning through its sugar stores and blood sugar never crashes.  That crash in blood sugar is what causes hunger in those whose metabolism is primarily sugar based.  Also, your liver will create glucose from amino acids if needed to stabilize blood sugar.

These changes will happen to everyone once they shut down the constant intake of carbs and reduce the chronic blood levels of insulin.  You can accomplish this either through a low carb/Keto diet phase or simply through fasting.  It usually takes anywhere from one to six weeks depending on your current metabolism.

The only downside is that it really sucks while your body readjusts and you may feel really hungry at times and lack energy.  It's worth it though because the result is greatly reduced hunger all day, no blood sugar crashes ever, constant energy all day, and improved mental focus.

Wow! I struggle if I go more than a few hours without snacking. I'm trying to get it to just fruit between meals which works in as far as I get that sugar hit and also lots of fibre all the other goodness in fruit. Someone brought in a load of pink panther pink wafers today and the nostalgia is a real challenge!

I'd love to have that kind of discipline. Maybe when I see myself in a swimsuit I might get more motivated lol.

•  

Julia1996

Quote from: MollyPants on February 22, 2018, 12:23:36 PM
I'm gonna have to make one this year I think :) I used to love the creme eggs but they're too sweet for me to have many of them now :( omg how funny! I don't get how people can eat solid egg yolk, it has to be runny. How're you gonna dip stuff in it otherwise!!!

I know. It is weird but then we are talking about a guy who loves vegemite so anything involving him and food is a weird unknown. Lol
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •