Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

GRS observations

Started by Megan., February 24, 2018, 07:48:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Megan.

In my HRT thread (link below) I recorded my thoughts and experiences as I travelled through that part of my transition.

https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php?topic=226510.0

I spent a long time deciding if and what route to take regarding any GRS. Recent medical issues have helped me reach a decision that, at this time, I intend to proceed with a full vaginoplasty.
I am still some way off from any surgery. In April I have an appointment with the CX GIC to get the first of my two required letters. A second letter, referal, any hair removal and completion of a full year both in RLE (May) and on HRT (July) still remain as points to pass before any surgery.

I'll use this thread to capture any relevant thoughts and experiences as I journey through this next part of my transition.

Stay tuned!

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk

•  

Jayne01

I'm tuned and ready to hear about your journey.

Jayne
  •  

Megan.

Quote from: Jayne01 on February 24, 2018, 09:51:10 AM
I'm tuned and ready to hear about your journey.

Jayne
Tnx hun, it's gonna be a slow burner, lol.

•  

Laurie

Hi Megan,

You know I'll be reading your posts.

Hugs,
  Laurie
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

steph2.0

I'm watching from the other side of the pond!

- Stephanie

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

Rachel

HRT  5-28-2013
FT   11-13-2015
FFS   9-16-2016 -Spiegel
GCS 11-15-2016 - McGinn
Hair Grafts 3-20-2017 - Cooley
Voice therapy start 3-2017 - Reene Blaker
Labiaplasty 5-15-2017 - McGinn
BA 7-12-2017 - McGinn
Hair grafts 9-25-2017 Dr.Cooley
Sataloff Cricothyroid subluxation and trachea shave12-11-2017
Dr. McGinn labiaplasty, hood repair, scar removal, graph repair and bottom of  vagina finished. urethra repositioned. 4-4-2018
Dr. Sataloff Glottoplasty 5-14-2018
Dr. McGinn vaginal in office procedure 10-22-2018
Dr. McGinn vaginal revision 2 4-3-2019 Bottom of vagina closed off, fat injected into the labia and urethra repositioned.
Dr. Thomas in 2020 FEMLAR
  •  

HappyMoni

Megan,
   I look forward to hearing your story. In hindsight I am glad I went with full depth vaginoplasty. I seem to get more pleasurable feeling from that area. It was a good decision for me. I wish you well and pull for things to go smoothly.
Moni
If I ever offend you, let me know. It's not what I am about.
"Never let the dark kill your light!"  (SailorMars)

HRT June 11, 2015. (new birthday) - FFS in late June 2016. (Dr. _____=Ugh!) - Full time June 18, 2016 (Yeah! finally) - GCS June 27, 2017. (McGinn=Yeah!) - Under Eye repair from FFS 8/17/17 - Nose surgery-November 20, 2017 (Dr. Papel=Yeah) - Hair Transplant on June 21, 2018 (Dr. Cooley-yeah) - Breast Augmentation on July 10, 2018 (Dr. Basner in Baltimore) - Removed bad scarring from FFS surgery near ears and hairline in August, 2018 (Dr. Papel) -Sept. 2018, starting a skin regiment on face with Retin A  April 2019 -repairing neck scar from FFS

]
  •  

Megan.

Still no specific news, but I'm getting increasingly nervous, anxious and excited about my upcoming GIC appointment.
GRS was not something I focused heavily on earlier in my transition, my social transition and HRT being the items that rightly demanded my attention.
I've surprised myself by how important GRS is to me now. I still maintain that if for any reason it was not an option for me, I could live out my days quite happily. But having now set my mind to it, I just want it done, so I can get past it and move on with living my life.

As I shared on my previous HRT thread, one of the factors in deciding on GRS at this point in my life rather than possibly an orchi and full GRS later, was the urethral strictures I'm suffering from. I will shortly be starting my dilation routine (yes Pre-GRS [emoji853]), to help maintain my OEM equipment until it becomes surplus to requirements. This will involve self-catheterising myself every other day on an ongoing basis, something I'm keen to avoid doing for any longer than I have to.

Stay tuned for updates! [emoji4]

•  

AnneK

Quotedilation routine (yes Pre-GRS ), to help maintain my OEM equipment until it becomes surplus to requirements. This will involve self-catheterising myself every other day on an ongoing basis, something I'm keen to avoid doing for any longer than I have to.

Why is that necessary?  I do it because of BPH, but I didn't think it needed for GRS.
I'm a 65 year old male who has been thinking about SRS for many years.  I also was a  full cross dresser for a few years.  I wear a bra, pantyhose and nail polish daily because it just feels right.

Started HRT April 17, 2019.
  •  

Megan.

Quote from: AnneK on March 30, 2018, 06:13:32 AM
Why is that necessary?  I do it because of BPH, but I didn't think it needed for GRS.
It's not needed for GRS.
I had two corrective surgeries and a related infection as an infant (I was born with intermediate hypospadia) that resulted in significant scaring to my urethra. This scaring as a result of age/time (and maybe my HRT?) has narrowed (strictures) to the point that it is now causing discomfort, problems with urine flow and last year a few episodes of haematospermia.
To prevent a complete blockage of my urethra I need to start dilation to maintain use and prevent further complications.
The only long-term fix for the strictures is a full reconstructive surgery of my urethra from a cheek graft; but this is obviously not worth doing if I intend to pursue vaginoplasty.

•  

Megan.

Part of my approach in all major decisions, and all along my transition has been to take a critical view of my own motivations and reasons. Today a wise person challenged me on these motivations (be-Devlyed me?) , and forced me to go back and see if the numbers still added up to the same total, let's call it an audit!
It was an exercise that required me to revisit some quite emotional items on my ledger, but I'm glad to say that all the books looked in order. [emoji4]
I'm satisfied that my reasons and motivations are (as far as I'm concerned) the right ones.
If i were approaching GRS (or any major irreversible decision) and did not have both concerns and second thoughts, I would be extremely concerned. I have them, but I can justify/answer all of them, this feels right.

This is all a bit abstract right now, but as physical as GRS is, its fair to say that the mental/emotional impact will be greater.

Megan. X

•  

Jayne01

That is a very wise approach you have taken, Megan. It seems like a good idea to periodically check that the "books are in order", as you put it. I find myself in a similar situation now, not specifically with GRS but transitioning in general. Concerns and doubts keep entering my mind, but I am able to justify each of those concerns. I suspect my doubts originate from fear of entering unchartered waters. At the end of the day, my conclusion is that I am doing the right thing.

I am happy that this feels right for you and you know you are on the right path, as scary as it may be. I have no doubt that you will take on whatever challenge faces you with strength and a very mature mindset.

Jayne
  •  

Megan.

Wow! What a day. For the UK girls familiar with the GIC this may sound all too familiar...

So today I travelled the two+ hours to the CX GIC in London. This appointment was made last May, and was meant to be the first of the two 'signature' appointments required for GRS referral. As such this has been a key date in my calendar for some time, and my anxiety has been building as it has approached.

Last month I received another appointment letter,  for July, but as it did not mention a cancellation of today's appointment, I assumed (they never explain) that that would be for my second signature.

Well I took the day off work, payed my railfare,  and travelled into and across London in the rain. I got to the clinic reception to be told that today's appointment had in fact been cancelled, and that the July one was meant to replace it [emoji853]. Last minute or unnotified cancellations are a common problem with the GIC.

The reception staff were apologetic, sympathetic and also grateful for the huge box of chocolates I'd brought for the clinic staff. They asked me to wait and see if I could fill one of the other spots if someone else didn't turn up,  and luckily,  after a good wait, I got to see a clinician [emoji16]

The appointment went well, was pretty much what I expected,  and I got my first signature for GRS!

The good news is that my July appointment still stands,  so I have managed to avoid a 3 month delay in my journey, that would have happened had they informed me of the cancellation.

I now have to research and choose which of the three NHS GRS surgeons I will want for my surgery by my next appointment. And separately also have a consult to establish if,  what and how much genital hair removal I need to get done too.

All-in-all a very stressful, but ultimately very positive and productive day,  I'm a happy girl. [emoji16]

Many tnx to my gorgeous Devlyn for soaking up my whining about this... Now I can start whining about the next one [emoji23]

•  

Kendra

Congratulations!  And very wise... it's quite possible that box of chocolates helped.
Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •  

Devlyn

Big hug! It was a crazy day, that's for sure. All's well that ends well.  :)

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Megan.

Quote from: Kendra on April 12, 2018, 12:01:53 PM
Congratulations!  And very wise... it's quite possible that box of chocolates helped.
The combined power of guilt and chocolate is almost without equal!

•  

Devlyn

Brings me to my knees!  :laugh:
  •  

nikkiannukts

Megan,

Congratulations and well done for the perseverance from another UK girl.   I will follow your updates with interest as I have today started proper HRT through GenderGP as I start my formal transition.

Good luck with the journey.

Best Wishes
Nikki
xx
  •  

Megan.

Quote from: Devlyn Marie on April 12, 2018, 12:26:12 PM
Brings me to my knees!  [emoji23]
<orders a metric tonne of chocolate> [emoji16]

•  

Devlyn