Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

GRS observations

Started by Megan., February 24, 2018, 07:48:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Megan.

Your cell is well padded,  you know that. [emoji48]

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk

•  

Megan.

For those interested, the choice I've been given for current NHS GRS surgeons are:

- James Bellringer (Parkside hospital)
- Tina Rashid (Charing Cross hospital)
- Phil Thomas (Nuffield Brighton)

I'll be researching all three and contacting them with questions over the next couple of months.

Obviously I've heard feedback (and rumors) about all three both on Susan's and other places, but I'll be reserving judgement and making my own decision on who is best for me personally.

I'd welcome suggestions for good/relevant questions to ask them [emoji5].

•  

Megan.

Quote from: nikkiannukts on April 12, 2018, 12:28:29 PM
Megan,

Congratulations and well done for the perseverance from another UK girl.   I will follow your updates with interest as I have today started proper HRT through GenderGP as I start my formal transition.

Good luck with the journey.

Best Wishes
Nikki
xx

Nikki congrats on the HRT,  I found it a very positive experience. X

•  

sarah1972

Yeah Megan.!! So happy for you getting to convince them to see you today. What a big step forward! Congratulations and I keep my fingers crossed for you!

•  

isa86

oh great. keep us posted who you will decide on and all. ive decided on tina rashid so its just waiting now  :)
  •  

Megan.

Quick update: on the 5th June I have an appointment with the lead Nurse who manages Dr Bellringer's patients,  but who has a great understanding across the UK GRS landscape.
The main purpose is for guidance on genital hair removal, but this should be a good opportunity to get a very well experienced view on my best options or choices for surgery, and which surgeon might work best for me.
I'll update back here after. X

•  

Jayne01

Hi Megan,
That's good news. You should hopefully have several questions answered during this appointment. Keep us updated on how it goes.

Best wishes,
Jayne
  •  

Megan.

Update: I've just finished a consultation with the lovley consultant nurse Iffy Middleton at the Parkside Putney clinic.
We talked over several things, and she examined me to see what my best GRS options would be, and what hair removal I might need.
As I suspected, I don't have enough material for a straightforward penile inversion, and the surgeon will need to use scrotal skin to form a vaginal canal of a practical size. This means that I will require  electrolysis to clear the area for surgery.
We also talked about surgeons available and their differences. As everyone is different I'm not going to detail the why's and wherefores, but I have a preffered surgeon in mind, which I will share later if/when that stage comes.
We also talked about cosmetic vs full depth vaginoplasty. At this point I'm leaning very heavily towards the full option, but still mulling things over in that space.
I'll be pushing on with my electro as quick as practical, and I'll share that experience here. X

•  

Laurie

Hi Megan,

For some reason I have not looked at this thread as your running journal. I have therefore not kept up with it. Sorry.

I have started to think along the lines of possibly having GCS myself. I have not done any research as yet but am think of Joining Kaiser Permanente since they have a good transgender program. I believe I have decided to have the full depth operation rather than the cosmetic. It probably makes no logical sense at my age but I think it is important to me.
  When and if I might have it done I have no idea. That would be too much like planning.
   I think having GCS is of more importance to the younger folk like you than an old broad like me. Whatever you chose may it bring you happiness.

Hugs,
  Laurie
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

Megan.

Quote from: Laurie on June 05, 2018, 07:01:05 PM
Hi Megan,

For some reason I have not looked at this thread as your running journal. I have therefore not kept up with it. Sorry.

I have started to think along the lines of possibly having GCS myself. I have not done any research as yet but am think of Joining Kaiser Permanente since they have a good transgender program. I believe I have decided to have the full depth operation rather than the cosmetic. It probably makes no logical sense at my age but I think it is important to me.
  When and if I might have it done I have no idea. That would be too much like planning.
   I think having GCS is of more importance to the younger folk like you than an old broad like me. Whatever you chose may it bring you happiness.

Hugs,
  Laurie
No need to apologise you silly girl! [emoji3]

I post in my HRT and GRS observation threads in the hope it might be of use to someone else travelling this path in future.

I was given a picture of the area that must be cleared of hair with electrolysis, but last night I created a reusable template from that.
I'm intending to order some skin-safe pens,  so my electro lady and I can clearly see where to work and our progress. Despite being keen to get the surgery, I'd rather take longer over the hair removal to minimise the risk of issues with that later; the frank but educational posts of others here with hair problems have been useful.

Megan. X

•  

isa86

maybe youre lucky like me and you wont need many sessions. electrolosis defo got rid of so much allrrady . laser did a few tricks too. but not as good as electro. i have 5 more sessions left of electro and 2 more laser 😊
  •  

Megan.

I'm now facing an interesting decision. My second GRS referal appointment is in mid-july.
I need to have 10-12 months of genital hair removal to have a full vaginoplasty which would mean surgery summer '19.
But I could elect to have a cosmetic GRS, this would not require hair removal. The timings I was given suggest that I could have that surgery around this October time,  sooner,  and avoiding the 'pleasure' [emoji853] of hair removal.

My own personal pros/cons are:

Full GRS - PROS
* potential opportunity to experience vaginal penetrative sex.
* potential feeling of being a more 'complete' woman (I appreciate this is very subjective,  and I currently do not feel this way).

Full GRS - CONS
* Months of genital hair removal
* No surgery until mid-2019
* Surgical risk of bowel perforation/fistula
* Risk of hair in the vagina (even with removal)
* Long recovery
* Dilation ongoing for life (though much easier after the first few months)

Cosmetic GRS - PROS
* No hair removal
* Surgery sooner (late-2018)
* Fewer surgical risks
* Faster recovery (still major)
* No dilation

Cosmetic GRS - CONS
* No chance to experience vaginal penetration.
* potential feeling of being a less 'complete' woman.

For both options, they will resolve my current urethral stricture issues, and also give me my preferred external appearance.

Weighing up the above, and given I've never felt any specific need to experience vaginal penetration, it would seem to suggest that a cosmetic procedure would be a better option,  personally, for me.

I'm continuing to think through these, and I'm currently uncertain which choice I will make.

I'm thinking of trying a single session of hair removal to see how unpleasant (or not) that is, and also how quickly my electro tech thinks they can clear the required area.

I'll post future thoughts and experiences here. X

•  

Jayne01

Hi Megan,

This is a major decision you have to make and only you can make it. I won't offer my opinion because that would only be applicable to me. Thank you for posting your pros and cons, it gives me a few things to think about if/when I decide on GCS.

I have had a few sessions of electrolysis down below to see how it feels. Some areas are quite tolerable, others made me hit the ceiling. I have pretty good pain tolerance when doing my face, but down below I have a piece of foam (like a stress ball) that I squeeze to death as I hold my breath when she zaps those sensitive areas. Everyone is different. Give it a try, you might like it! [emoji12]

I wish you well with your decision making process. You are clearly giving this the necessary thought to find what is right for you.

Hugs,
Jayne
  •  

Megan.

Quote from: Jayne01 on June 07, 2018, 06:54:22 PM
Hi Megan,

This is a major decision you have to make and only you can make it. I won't offer my opinion because that would only be applicable to me. Thank you for posting your pros and cons, it gives me a few things to think about if/when I decide on GCS.

I have had a few sessions of electrolysis down below to see how it feels. Some areas are quite tolerable, others made me hit the ceiling. I have pretty good pain tolerance when doing my face, but down below I have a piece of foam (like a stress ball) that I squeeze to death as I hold my breath when she zaps those sensitive areas. Everyone is different. Give it a try, you might like it! [emoji12]

I wish you well with your decision making process. You are clearly giving this the necessary thought to find what is right for you.

Hugs,
Jayne
Tnx hun, though I'm fairly certain I won't like it! [emoji23]

There is no 'right' decision (each has pros and cons) in this. Just getting myself to a place that, whatever my choice, I'm happy with it, and can live with that decision. X

•  

LizK

Hi Megan

I understand your dilemma...I am due to have mine in Nov and that exact question is the most difficult part for me. You make some pertinent points and I understand each of them...I have another 2 months before I speak to the surgeon to make a final decision. I am currently swaying towards cosmetic version...I think lol [emoji23]...I might make my mind up someday...I hope you can too take care

Liz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

Megan.

Quote from: ElizabethK on June 12, 2018, 09:26:56 AM
Hi Megan

I understand your dilemma...I am due to have mine in Nov and that exact question is the most difficult part for me. You make some pertinent points and I understand each of them...I have another 2 months before I speak to the surgeon to make a final decision. I am currently swaying towards cosmetic version...I think lol [emoji23]...I might make my mind up someday...I hope you can too take care

Liz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tnx Liz [emoji5]. It's one of those horrible 'instinct' choices that I'm almost incapable of making; but good luck with yours! X

•  

isa86

isnt it better if youre not sure..... but you really want a vagina to go for full ?

as im not sure ...but you cant change it to full afterwards  can you ?

id be worried i regret my choice . even if im not a very sexual person. for example. you might meet someone you want to be sexual with ? just an example.

but whatever you choose . i hope you will be super happy hun xxx
  •  

Megan.

I don't doubt that if I only had cosmetic, then I would always be curious about how it could have been, but for me personally, I think I could live with that, in exchange for skipping hair removal, dilation and getting it done sooner.
I don't agree with the "If you've got to lose a toe,  you may as well take off the whole leg" argument [emoji3]. This is major surgery,  I want what gives me what I want with the lowest risk,  easiest recovery, and lowest ongoing maintenance.

•  

Megan.

Also,  without being too explicit, there are other options for penetration.

•  

Gail20

I was pleasantly surprised after GRS that it really strengthened my identity as female. Its been wonderful. Yes, dilating is a pain and a big time drain, and there certainly was plenty of pain, but I'm oh so happy feeling complete!.
"friends speak for you when you can't speak for yourself" :)
  •