Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

GRS observations

Started by Megan., February 24, 2018, 07:48:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Megan.

Quote from: AnonyMs on September 19, 2018, 12:52:29 PM
What are the symptoms of shock?
For me, tingly lips, my face cramps, abdominal spasms, shaking, emotional panic... Loads of fun [emoji23]

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk

•  

Megan.

Quote from: Michelle_P on September 19, 2018, 11:30:01 AM
Megan, I am really sorry you had that experience.  I have found that paying any attention to the process leads to my focusing on and anticipating each insertion and zap, which makes things much worse.

Now what I do is a form of mindful meditation.  I pay attention to my breathing.  Breath in.  Hold 5 seconds, counting in my head.  Breathe out through pursed lips.  Hold a second.  Repeat.  I focus on the pressure of the chair supporting me, holding me.

I also listen to music.  Calm, rythmic music works best.  My worst session was when my electrolyst had loud, jarring music playing, which made it hard to get into that meditative state. We agreed not to use that music any more!  Focusing on the music can also help, much like the breathing meditation.

Liz, for electrolysis at the South Pole I put on a coat of EMLA and the plastic wrap, in several pieces for each area to be worked, about an hour before treatment.  That was a 40 minute drive with everything wrapped up.
Michelle, I totally agree, often I can get my head in that place,  but sometimes I can't, and as you say, just get more and more anxious waiting for the next zap.

•  

Megan.

Update: Today I had my initial GRS consultation with the surgeon (Mr Bellringer) at the Parkside Putney clinic in London.

It was only a 15 minute appointment. This gave enough time for him to take a look at the current 'material' I have for him to work with, assess where I am in my hair removal process,  discuss surgical options and for me to ask questions.

He asked if i wanted a full vaginoplasty, but I said I was still undecided between a vaginoplasty and vulvaplasty (cosmetic) GRS. They gave me two information packs (one for each option) to take away.

I asked about likely depth of a vaginoplasty given the material I have and he estimated that 5 inches would be possible. As I'd be happy with anything over 4, I was satisfied with this.

I asked if my current and historical health issues with my genitalia would be a problem. As I'm quite small with a narrow urethra he commented that he would need to modify his technique somewhat making a full vaginoplasty more complex with a slight increase in risk of complication.

Regarding hair removal, he said that the hair on the shaft and around the base of my penis does not need removing in my case. This is good news, as this is the most painful/sensitive area in my electrolysis,  and also reduces the area (and time) that needs clearing - just the scrotum.

Asking about timelines he said that about 6-8 weeks for either a vulvaplasty or the same, on completion of hair removal, should be planned for.

The wonderful Devlyn was with me all along - so thank you to her for the wonderful support.

As I've convered on this thread, I've swayed between full vaginoplasty and a cosmetic vulvaplasty.
I'm still finding it difficult to square the extra risk and substantially harder recovery of a vaginoplasty against having a full vagina - which is not something I personally absolutely need.

For now I'll continue with hair removal and see if my feelings solidify on the surgery choice.

Megan. X

•  

Devlyn

My second pre-surgical consult.  :)
  •  

Megan.

Quote from: Devlyn on September 28, 2018, 04:10:23 PM
My second pre-surgical consult.  :)
Gotta catch 'em all!

•  

RachelT1963

I'm glad your appointment went well Megan. It was good that Devlyn was there to support you.
Hopefully you got all your questions answered even so, it is hard deciding on the best option. I know I keep changing my mind about whether to go full or cosmetic [emoji848]
Rach x

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

•  

Laurie

Did I read that right your date could be 6 - 8 weeks away?  That would be pretty quick. You have somme thinking and work to do  then.

Good luck, Hun.
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

Megan.

Quote from: Laurie on September 28, 2018, 11:56:48 PM
Did I read that right your date could be 6 - 8 weeks away?  That would be pretty quick. You have somme thinking and work to do  then.

Good luck, Hun.
Tnx Laurie.

To clarify, no date has been set at this time. It would be 6-8 weeks from when I contact them either saying I've completed hair removal or that I've chosen vulvaplasty  and that I'm ready to be booked in. Family life and other things mean that I certainly won't be contacting them this side of Christmas. X

•  

Megan.

Update: just back from my my latest electro session. It was chalk and cheese compared to the bad experience I had last time; probably the best and most comfortable session of electro I've ever had (face or genital).
I modified my prep. routine applying a thick coat of Emla 90 minutes before the session, wrapping with clingfilm and taking my usual dose of ibuprofen and paracetamol.
After 30 mins I reapplied another coat of Emla and re-wrapped.

Discomfort during the session maybe peaked at 3/10 in a couple of places but barely hit 1/10 the rest of the time.

Thank you to my wonderful Devlyn for keeping me away from my beloved caffeine and strictly on water before the session [emoji4].

X

•  

Devlyn

Aw, shucks...all I did was drink it all before you could get any!  >:-) :laugh:
  •  

LizK

Quote from: Megan. on October 08, 2018, 12:47:27 PM
Update: just back from my my latest electro session. It was chalk and cheese compared to the bad experience I had last time; probably the best and most comfortable session of electro I've ever had (face or genital).
I modified my prep. routine applying a thick coat of Emla 90 minutes before the session, wrapping with clingfilm and taking my usual dose of ibuprofen and paracetamol.
After 30 mins I reapplied another coat of Emla and re-wrapped.

Discomfort during the session maybe peaked at 3/10 in a couple of places but barely hit 1/10 the rest of the time.

Thank you to my wonderful Devlyn for keeping me away from my beloved caffeine and strictly on water before the session [emoji4].

X

That's great Meagan, you gotta love it when a plan works out. Really good to see you had a much better experience, do you have much more to do or will you be in a position to call your surgeon soon  :)...I was like you expecting it to be hell but I prepped similarly to you and have to say that apart from maybe 1/2 doz times I was at a very comfortable level, considering...good prep makes all the difference...don't forget to moisturise regularly(except on the day)...hydrated skin makes for less pain...that's what my Electrologist said to me the last time I saw her.

Glad your Dr GCS appointment went so well.

Take care

Liz
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

Megan.

Quote from: LizK on October 09, 2018, 01:25:51 AM
That's great Meagan, you gotta love it when a plan works out. Really good to see you had a much better experience, do you have much more to do...

Unsure. My electrolysist does quite short 30min sessions, and finding time in her diary is hard. I've had 2.5hrs so far, and reckon I'll need another 5 or so before I'll be rdy for surgery. X

•  

Megan.

Update: For those with what may be an infinite amount of patience in waiting for me to make up my darn mind, you're about to be rewarded.

Even though I've been continuing with my genital hair removal, I've remained unsure about my surgery choice (vaginoplasty or vulvaplasty).

So... I've finally come down on one side of the fence, and I've chosen to have cosmetic GRS. I've covered over the pros and cons earlier in this thread,  so I won't rehash them in this post.

In short, this choice is right for ME and my life, and reflects how I feel about and relate with my body. It doesn't make me any more or less female or trans*.

This afternoon I contacted Parkside hospital and confirmed my choice. I can now stop my bottom hair removal and be scheduled for surgery ASAP. Next step will be a final consult with the surgeon (Mr Bellringer), then I guess, set a date!

•  

Devlyn

At least all the late night talks are over with.  ;D

You know I was going to support you no matter what you decided.  :)

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Megan.

Quote from: Devlyn on December 05, 2018, 01:31:41 PM
At least all the late night talks are over with.  ;D

You know I was going to support you no matter what you decided.  :)

Hugs, Devlyn
Not really, I'm sure I can just change subject [emoji16]. X

•  

LizK

Megan I understand how difficult the decision is.  Congratulations on getting there.

Onwards and upwards

Take care

Liz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

Megan.

Quote from: LizK on December 05, 2018, 01:54:01 PM
Megan I understand how difficult the decision is.  Congratulations on getting there.

Onwards and upwards

Take care

Liz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tnx Liz, I know you also thought heavily on this one. We all find the answers that are right for us [emoji6]

•  

Kendra

Hooray - Congratulations on your decision!
I bet that's a big relief, and now many things are easier to schedule.
Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •  

JudiBlueEyes

Congratulations on coming to a decision Megan!  I hope you are able to obtain a date not to far in the future!
But now old friends they're acting strange
They shake their heads, they say I've changed
Well something's lost, but something's gained
In living every day.
  •  

Dorit

Quote from: Megan. on December 05, 2018, 12:45:57 PM

So... I've finally come down on one side of the fence, and I've chosen to have cosmetic GRS. I've covered over the pros and cons earlier in this thread,  so I won't rehash them in this post.

I am on this mission to correct what is mistaken terminology that seems to be specific to Susan's.   A partial, or zero depth, or modified vaginoplasty is not a cosmetic vaginoplasty.  A cosmetic vaginoplasty only can refer and does in fact do so in the medical world, to a CIS woman who is having cosmetic surgery on the vagina she was born with.   GRS is not cosmetic surgery in any way, shape or form.   Cosmetic surgery refers to enhancing the appearance of an existing structure, like a rhinoplasty is cosmetic surgery.   GRS MTF is certainly not enhancing an existing structure, it is radical plastic surgery that completely transforms the genitals from male to female.

I do have a vested interest in using the correct terminology. :)   I am having what my surgeon calls a "modified vaginoplasty" next week. :)
  •