Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

GRS observations

Started by Megan., February 24, 2018, 07:48:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Megan.

Quote from: Dorit on December 06, 2018, 01:18:11 AM
I am on this mission to correct what is mistaken terminology that seems to be specific to Susan's.   A partial, or zero depth, or modified vaginoplasty is not a cosmetic vaginoplasty.  A cosmetic vaginoplasty only can refer and does in fact do so in the medical world, to a CIS woman who is having cosmetic surgery on the vagina she was born with.   GRS is not cosmetic surgery in any way, shape or form.   Cosmetic surgery refers to enhancing the appearance of an existing structure, like a rhinoplasty is cosmetic surgery.   GRS MTF is certainly not enhancing an existing structure, it is radical plastic surgery that completely transforms the genitals from male to female.

I do have a vested interest in using the correct terminology. :)   I am having what my surgeon calls a "modified vaginoplasty" next week. :)

If you read my entire thread (and it's predecessor - HRT Observations), you will see that I was born Hypospadia and had minimal puberty (intersex), and as such my sexual organs were never 100% 'male'; in this respect, I consider this surgery a cosmetic change to the appearance of my genitalia. After previous cosmetic changes were made when I was an infant.

I use the term vulvaplasty (as used by my surgeon) and 'cosmetic' interchangeably to maximise the value and benefit the information I share here can have for the community.

Different surgeons around the world and throughout history have used many terms to label both us and their medical procedures. There is no standard.

The purpose of this thread is NOT to argue or agree on these, just as it is not the place to argue if a glass is half full or half empty. X

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk

•  

LizK

The term used here in Australia with my surgeon and the hospital I am in is reconstructive surgery. I have no doubt there are other descriptions and I am not sure there is even a "one description fits all" solution . I would suggest it varies from country to country and maybe even hospital to hospital.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

Devlyn

Quote from: Dorit on December 06, 2018, 01:18:11 AM
I am on this mission to correct what is mistaken terminology that seems to be specific to Susan's.   A partial, or zero depth, or modified vaginoplasty is not a cosmetic vaginoplasty.  A cosmetic vaginoplasty only can refer and does in fact do so in the medical world, to a CIS woman who is having cosmetic surgery on the vagina she was born with.   GRS is not cosmetic surgery in any way, shape or form.   Cosmetic surgery refers to enhancing the appearance of an existing structure, like a rhinoplasty is cosmetic surgery.   GRS MTF is certainly not enhancing an existing structure, it is radical plastic surgery that completely transforms the genitals from male to female.

I do have a vested interest in using the correct terminology. :)   I am having what my surgeon calls a "modified vaginoplasty" next week. :)

May I suggest you start a separate thread, perhaps titled

"I am on this mission to correct what is mistaken terminology that seems to be specific to Susan's"

in order to bring attention to your cause, rather than piggybacking on Megan's topic?  :)

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Dorit

Megan dear, I profusely apologize.   I had no idea you were intersex, I have not read all your posts being relatively new to the sight.   Actually, I was thinking of adding that in the case of some intersex people, but certainly not all, the term cosmetic vaginoplasty would apply.  Can you forgive me?  I do intend to mention this same misuse of cosmetic vaginoplasty for GRS when I start a thread about my soon coming modified vaginoplasty.   
  •  

Megan.

Quote from: Dorit on December 06, 2018, 12:05:08 PM
Megan dear, I profusely apologize.   I had no idea you were intersex, I have not read all your posts being relatively new to the sight.   Actually, I was thinking of adding that in the case of some intersex people, but certainly not all, the term cosmetic vaginoplasty would apply.  Can you forgive me?  I do intend to mention this same misuse of cosmetic vaginoplasty for GRS when I start a thread about my soon coming modified vaginoplasty.
It's fine sweetie. Terminology is a minefield that I like to keep out of, especially if the mines keep moving!

Good luck with your surgery though, I'll try to follow your new thread when you start it. X

•  

Megan.

Update: well the date is in the diary... My GRS is set for mid-May, just over 4 months from now.
I've (all but) given up caffeine since Christmas which is going well, and I'm getting my overweight arse back to the gym and slowly rebuilding my fitness so I can maximise my recovery down the road.

•  

Megan.

Update: 8 weeks until my GRS, and I've been doing a lot of reflection on my decision. I wanted to share these thoughts so that others might have confidence that doubt or questioning is part of a healthy dialog we have with ourselves, to find the answer that is best for us.

There is unsurprisingly a tendency to focus on the physical at these times, but the thoughts and emotions that both lead up to such a moment and are born from it, are perhaps of greater significance in our lives.

There are certainly moments I have my doubts about my choice to both have any GRS, and also the cosmetic vulvaplasty that I have selected; but having revisited my journey up to this point, and my rationale, I am still satisfied it is the right choice.

Regardless of the outcome, I will surely have a different relationship with my body after the operation. I don't and never had much bottom dysphoria, and while I neither like or relate to my penis in the way most cis-gender men seem to, I don't despise it either. My choice, personal as it is for anyone, is one as much driven by practical consideration as it is by any emotional need.

Follow your own road, and you'll never get lost. X
  •  

Michelle_P

Megan, I'm starting to think the reflection and questioning goes on forever.  Once in a great while, now that I am 16 months post GCS, I still wake up, a hand down there and a sense of something wrong, a fleeting thought of "What did I DO?"  It passes after a moment as I wake up, but it is a strange thing.  Happened early this morning, in fact.

There's no dysphoria or regrets.  Just an odd conflict between old memory and reality that hasn't quite resolved.  It still makes for an odd sensation on waking.
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

Megan.

Quote from: Michelle_P on March 16, 2019, 06:42:31 PM
Megan, I'm starting to think the reflection and questioning goes on forever.  Once in a great while, now that I am 16 months post GCS, I still wake up, a hand down there and a sense of something wrong, a fleeting thought of "What did I DO?"  It passes after a moment as I wake up, but it is a strange thing.  Happened early this morning, in fact.

There's no dysphoria or regrets.  Just an odd conflict between old memory and reality that hasn't quite resolved.  It still makes for an odd sensation on waking.
Some reassuring words,  thank you Michelle.

And you're right, like many of those big concious decisions we make in life, there will always be points when we'll wonder how things might have been; but that's life. :-)

•  

LizK

Quote from: Megan. on March 16, 2019, 04:45:54 PM
Update: 8 weeks until my GRS, and I've been doing a lot of reflection on my decision. I wanted to share these thoughts so that others might have confidence that doubt or questioning is part of a healthy dialog we have with ourselves, to find the answer that is best for us.

There is unsurprisingly a tendency to focus on the physical at these times, but the thoughts and emotions that both lead up to such a moment and are born from it, are perhaps of greater significance in our lives.

There are certainly moments I have my doubts about my choice to both have any GRS, and also the cosmetic vulvaplasty that I have selected; but having revisited my journey up to this point, and my rationale, I am still satisfied it is the right choice.

Regardless of the outcome, I will surely have a different relationship with my body after the operation. I don't and never had much bottom dysphoria, and while I neither like or relate to my penis in the way most cis-gender men seem to, I don't despise it either. My choice, personal as it is for anyone, is one as much driven by practical consideration as it is by any emotional need.

Follow your own road, and you'll never get lost. X

It is such a personal and difficult decision to make. Making it based on your own needs is paramount. I thinks doubts are a natural part of the process and there are a number of the women on this site that I spoke to when I had tied myself up in knots over it, who helped me understand a number of things. At the end of the day the reasons for or against the type of surgery you have are never wrong if they are the ones that meet your needs.

Not long now....8 weeks wooohooo!

Liz
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •