Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Do you pass or not?

Started by Priya, March 04, 2018, 01:10:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FollowTheFellow

I sometimes pass to my kids' friends. Children almost always read me male. On occasion someone will read me as a feminine man or a young man. But even if I have a mini-beard sprouting from my chin, I still get "miss" and "ma'am" a lot and I'm 9 months on T.  My voice is getting deeper, thankfully, but it's still in teenage boy range and I'm not very tall, so I think that's what people are seeing/hearing. I get what others are saying about being gendered correctly vs. being totally stealth. I think I'm in a weird place as someone who is AFAB because lots of folks just think I'm a super butch woman instead of an androgynous guy. When I am read as trans, people sometime think I'm AMAB and try to be helpful by telling me how lovely and feminine I am (*sweatdrop*) Hopefully that will change over time.
  •  

Beverly Anne

I passed before I ever tried. Got the crap beat out of me in high school for looking like a girl and being "gay." I was strip searched by thugs that wanted to see my vagina. I tried to be a dude, but the body and mind didn't cooperate. Now, thankfully, I can live unmolested as the female I was born to be. After a lifetime of hell, being able to live as my authentic self is an incredible gift. Once, I wanted to die. Now, I love my life. After all that bull>-bleeped-<, no apologies for passing and living the stealth life. I feel like God owes me that (kind of a joke but not really).
Be authentic and live life unafraid!
  •  

Nina

After 10 full time, I assume I pass. Never been told otherwise, but wouldn't care if it did happen.
2007/8 - name change, tracheal shave, electrolysis, therapy
2008 - full time
2014 - GCS Dr. Brassard; remarried
2018 (January)  - hubby and I moved off-grid
2019 - plan originally was to hike PCT in 2020, but now attempting Appalachian Trail - start date April 3.
  •  

Linde

Quote from: Nina on December 05, 2018, 07:25:15 AM
but wouldn't care if it did happen.
I am like you.  I am not a woman for other, it is for myself!  If I don't pass, it is their problem, not mine
Hair makes a lot of difference for passing.  When I wear my wig, I pass all the time.  Without the wig, with my rather short hair, I do not pass all the time (specifically if I slip into a male speech pattern again)!
02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•  

Maid Marion

Quote from: Beverly Anne on December 04, 2018, 10:56:06 PM
being able to live as my authentic self is an incredible gift. Once, I wanted to die. Now, I love my life. After all that bull>-bleeped-<, no apologies for passing and living the stealth life. I feel like God owes me that (kind of a joke but not really).

This is absolutely wonderful to hear!

Maid Marion
  •  

Jessica_Rose

Quote from: Beverly Anne on December 04, 2018, 10:56:06 PM
I passed before I ever tried. Got the crap beat out of me in high school for looking like a girl and being "gay." I was strip searched by thugs that wanted to see my vagina. I tried to be a dude, but the body and mind didn't cooperate. Now, thankfully, I can live unmolested as the female I was born to be. After a lifetime of hell, being able to live as my authentic self is an incredible gift. Once, I wanted to die. Now, I love my life. After all that bull>-bleeped-<, no apologies for passing and living the stealth life. I feel like God owes me that (kind of a joke but not really).

Beverly Anne, first I must say you are beautiful! We have all survived many painful years, some more traumatic than others. We have earned the right to live our lives however we choose. If you can go stealth, I say more power to you! No one should ever have to apologize for living their life on their own terms. Just be true to yourself, and enjoy the gift of a second life.

Love always -- Jessica Rose
Journal thread - Jessica's Rose Garden
National Coming Out Day video - Coming Out
GCS - GCS and BA w/Dr. Ley
GCS II - GCS II and FFS w/Dr. Ley
FFS II - Jaw and chin surgery w/Dr. Ley
Hair - Hair Restoration
23Mar2017 - HRT / 16Feb2018 - Full Time! / 21Feb2019 - GCS / 26July2019 - GCS II / 13Oct2020 - FFS II
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot
  •  

Kylo

Passing takes place with zero effort now. Not that I made much of an effort before.

Incidentally, interesting note: lightened my hair to see what it looked like when I was younger. People are definitely friendlier to blonde men.

In fact they won't bugger off and leave me alone. Some tourists' always trying to talk to me and ask me where the bog is. They usually wouldn't approach before.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •  

NatalieRene

Quote from: Kylo on December 06, 2018, 07:06:44 PM
Passing takes place with zero effort now. Not that I made much of an effort before.

Incidentally, interesting note: lightened my hair to see what it looked like when I was younger. People are definitely friendlier to blonde men.

In fact they won't bugger off and leave me alone. Some tourists' always trying to talk to me and ask me where the bog is. They usually wouldn't approach before.

I can understand. You're hot, especially in that suit. If I saw you I'd want to talk to you too.
  •  

Kylo

Quote from: NatalieRene on December 06, 2018, 07:12:17 PM
I can understand. You're hot, especially in that suit. If I saw you I'd want to talk to you too.

Oh that's not me, but I suppose I'm not too far off the look. I'd have to stand on a box first.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •  

NatalieRene

Quote from: Kylo on December 06, 2018, 07:22:33 PM
Oh that's not me, but I suppose I'm not too far off the look. I'd have to stand on a box first.
I wouldn't let your height bother you. A lot of the coolest men where short. These men are/where under five foot seven:

Michael J Fox
Robin William
Al Pacino
Dustin Hoffman
Joe Pesci
Martin Sheen
Ben Stiller
Elijah Wood
Mel Brooks
Rick Moranis
Frank Sinatra
Jack Black
Jet Li
Seth Green
Martin Short
David Spade
John Belushi
Billy Boyd
Martin Lawrence
Scott Caan

•  

Michelle_P

I tried one of the many facial recognition algorithm programs out there on myself today.  THeir code decided I was female, so I'll call that a pass.  Just for fun I put myself through FaceApp.  The Me => Girl pass produced an almost unchanged image, slightly lighter and a minor tweak on the hair.

So, it appears I pass to assorted little neural networks...  ;)
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

dee82

Today, this is the first time this has happened to me.

I am in a womens' clothing store with my mother-in-law, it is a small shop she regularly buys her clothes there, so she is on a basic small-talk level with the owner (and only person who serves you).

I am standing at the counter paying for the clothes I have picked out after trying on. Owner turns to my mother-in-law and asks "Is this your sister?"

My jaw nearly hits the floor, mother-in-law looks at me looking unsure for a moment, and then calmly says "No, this is my daughter in-law."

She had never been in that situation before and neither had I.

Made my day.

~Dee.

•  

Kylo

Quote from: NatalieRene on December 06, 2018, 08:51:54 PM
I wouldn't let your height bother you. A lot of the coolest men where short. These men are/where under five foot seven:

Michael J Fox
Robin William
Al Pacino
Dustin Hoffman
Joe Pesci
Martin Sheen
Ben Stiller
Elijah Wood
Mel Brooks
Rick Moranis
Frank Sinatra
Jack Black
Jet Li
Seth Green
Martin Short
David Spade
John Belushi
Billy Boyd
Martin Lawrence
Scott Caan

You're right. Confidence/personality more than makes up for it.
  •  

NatalieRene

Quote from: Michelle_P on December 06, 2018, 08:57:05 PM
I tried one of the many facial recognition algorithm programs out there on myself today.  THeir code decided I was female, so I'll call that a pass.  Just for fun I put myself through FaceApp.  The Me => Girl pass produced an almost unchanged image, slightly lighter and a minor tweak on the hair.

So, it appears I pass to assorted little neural networks...  ;)
When I try the face app it only gives the options for me to a guy and I'm not interested in a virtually induced dysphoria to try it. I guess it is flattering that it seems to think my face is female already.
  •  

Coffeedrew

Luck would have it the time I was trying my hardest not to pass.  This huge guy stocking shelves said Ma'am do you need help finding anything. I said , Me?, No thanks. Then I get a  Sorry, sir.  I said, no problem. I kind of felt like I made a fool out of the guy, and I feel so bad. I mean I had a bad bread shadow going. I was wearing shorts and my legs have not been shaved in a week. The only thing girly, was I had a pony tail that I guess some how manged to fall on my left shoulder. My hair is naturally curly, pre-hrt  the ladies told me how beautiful it is in a girlish way. :embarrassed:
I'd welcome the compliment now and I love my curly hair although detangling it is a b**ch.
  •  

Sabrina Rei

I talked about this in my thread but I somehow do despite my 6'2" height.  Around month 4-5 people started treating me like a woman regularly to a point where I felt comfortable in a bikini top at the waterpark and not a single person stopped to stare though several other mothers made small talk with me and a few men did make a point of chatting me up when I wasn't explicitly with my wife or young daughter. I'm not arrogant enough to think that when people see me they see a cisgender woman 100% of the time and my voice is still pretty shabby but if I can move about freely without harassment or odd looks, that's a win to me.

Linde

Quote from: NatalieRene on December 06, 2018, 09:21:01 PM
When I try the face app it only gives the options for me to a guy and I'm not interested in a virtually induced dysphoria to try it. I guess it is flattering that it seems to think my face is female already.

I have the some problem, I can be any guy i ever would want to be, including one with sun glasses!
I never thought about that the thing could believe I am female and want to look like a male!
02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•  

Coffeedrew

Quote from: elle's bells on December 19, 2018, 02:41:46 AMI'm not arrogant enough to think that when people see me they see a cisgender woman 100% of the time and my voice is still pretty shabby but if I can move about freely without harassment or odd looks, that's a win to me.

I am the same, and I agree. I am scared I might meet the wrong person one day or make a fool of them.
  •  

Chloe

Quote from: BT04 on March 06, 2018, 11:02:27 AM
No, but I'm not trying to . . . not ready to come out just yet.

BT *ditto* I also have never tried to pass but am "out" to whoever asks and am frequently misgendered "correctly", especially on 1st impressions. Is this *cowardice* on our part? Or are we really just stuck on gaining *acceptance*?

Group used to poise this "q" alot, which is more important?

lol The other day really felt sorry for the bewildered look of a four-year-old boy. Before pre-school, I often take 3 1/2 yr old grand-daughter into the boys room to potty and, as we're opening closed stall, he is standing there and exclaims "Hey! This is the BOYS room!" (why are you two here?) and then he just as quickly vanished.
"But it's no use now," thought poor Alice, "to pretend be two people!
"Why, there's hardly enough of me left to make one respectable person!"
  •  

sophie1904

Definitely passed today.

Visiting the US Embassy to get my visa to move to Seattle and ma'am'd by everyone.

Then at the hotel for breakfast and checkout - exactly the same.

And no funny looks / side eyes etc on an absolutely packed train for 6 hours back to Edinburgh :)
  •