Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Do you pass or not?

Started by Priya, March 04, 2018, 01:10:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linde

Quote from: sophie1904 on December 20, 2018, 03:19:36 PM
Definitely passed today.

Visiting the US Embassy to get my visa to move to Seattle and ma'am'd by everyone.

Then at the hotel for breakfast and checkout - exactly the same.

And no funny looks / side eyes etc on an absolutely packed train for 6 hours back to Edinburgh :)
Hi lady! 
I think you have it all done!  Congratulations on your future time in the US.  You might run into language difficulties.  When I still lived in Europe, I had a coworker who was from Edinburgh, and our US boss could not understand him.  I had to do the translation between the two!
02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•  

ChrissyRyan

Quote from: sophie1904 on December 20, 2018, 03:19:36 PM
Definitely passed today.

Visiting the US Embassy to get my visa to move to Seattle and ma'am'd by everyone.

Then at the hotel for breakfast and checkout - exactly the same.

And no funny looks / side eyes etc on an absolutely packed train for 6 hours back to Edinburgh :)

That is terrific news!

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

steph2.0

I just returned from a 2 1/2 week trip to Europe from Florida: Philadelphia, Paris, Madrid, Málaga/Marbella Spain for FFS with FacialTeam, and return through Paris and Philadelphia. I wasn't particularly nervous, and I wasn't misgendered once for the entire trip.

Yet, perversely, when the starter capacitor went bad for my well pump today, I was freaked out by the idea of going to the hardware store to buy a new one.

Nobody else was going to do it, though, so I fixed my face up a bit (but kept on the jeans, tank,and open flannel shirt), and marched into the store.

The gentleman who led me to the shelf with the capacitors needed my help to pick out the right capacitance and voltage, and didn't seem too fazed by the fact that I knew what those are, though he did a close comparison with the original after I pointed out the right one.

When I checked out, the woman cashier and I commiserated about how men think we women don't know what we're talking about in hardware stores.

And on the way out, a huge bearded southern gentleman held the door for me.

So, despite my anxiety, yeah, I guess I pass.

Stephanie

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

Linde

Quote from: Steph2.0 on December 20, 2018, 05:26:02 PM
I just returned from a 2 1/2 week trip to Europe from Florida: Philadelphia, Paris, Madrid, Málaga/Marbella Spain for FFS with FacialTeam, and return through Paris and Philadelphia. I wasn't particularly nervous, and I wasn't misgendered once for the entire trip.

Yet, perversely, when the starter capacitor went bad for my well pump today, I was freaked out by the idea of going to the hardware store to buy a new one.

Nobody else was going to do it, though, so I fixed my face up a bit (but kept on the jeans, tank,and open flannel shirt), and marched into the store.

The gentleman who led me to the shelf with the capacitors needed my help to pick out the right capacitance and voltage, and didn't seem too fazed by the fact that I knew what those are, though he did a close comparison with the original after I pointed out the right one.

When I checked out, the woman cashier and I commiserated about how men think we women don't know what we're talking about in hardware stores.

And on the way out, a huge bearded southern gentleman held the door for me.

So, despite my anxiety, yeah, I guess I pass.

Stephanie
If you passed in the hardware store, you are a woman, nothing else!  I still go to these kind of stores in male mode, because as a guy I do not have to continuously proof that I know what I am talking about.
I don't know for how long I can still pull of the guy thing, but I will do it as long as I can!  Some times it pays to be gender fluid!

•  

NatalieRene

Quote from: Dietlind on December 20, 2018, 05:32:19 PM
If you passed in the hardware store, you are a woman, nothing else!  I still go to these kind of stores in male mode, because as a guy I do not have to continuously proof that I know what I am talking about.
I don't know for how long I can still pull of the guy thing, but I will do it as long as I can!  Some times it pays to be gender fluid!
You know I don't pass as male so now imagine me in the hardware store looking for a heat gun and a silicon insert for pvc tubes so I can bend them without the tubes collapsing for use in a custom water cooling loop.
  •  

Linde

Quote from: NatalieRene on December 20, 2018, 09:35:36 PM
You know I don't pass as male so now imagine me in the hardware store looking for a heat gun and a silicon insert for pvc tubes so I can bend them without the tubes collapsing for use in a custom water cooling loop.
And that is the reason I go to auto parts stores, auto shops, and DIY stores only as a guy.  Nobody has any doubt about my knowledge of the stuff!
My girls are still small enough to be hidden under wide tops, and I can still use a semi male voice.
And if estrogen and spiro continue to do nothing to me (except a little bit of emotional changes), I might be able to pull the guy thing of for quite a while to come.  Makes life a lot easier!

•  

Lisa89125

I was in the hardware store not long ago in my favorite skirt to get some 12/2 wire for a project.  :) Got correctly gendered once and incorrectly gendered once. I also got some strange glares.  :-\

Lisa

"My inner self knows better than my outer self my true gender"

Not yet quite ready to post my real self.
  •  

NatalieRene

Quote from: Dietlind on December 20, 2018, 09:55:35 PM
And that is the reason I go to auto parts stores, auto shops, and DIY stores only as a guy.  Nobody has any doubt about my knowledge of the stuff!
My girls are still small enough to be hidden under wide tops, and I can still use a semi male voice.
And if estrogen and spiro continue to do nothing to me (except a little bit of emotional changes), I might be able to pull the guy thing of for quite a while to come.  Makes life a lot easier!

The effects could catch up with you. One day you might wake up and male fail despite your best efforts. It's not too late to bump your head on the glass ceiling. ;D
  •  

Linde

Quote from: Lisa89125 on December 20, 2018, 09:57:27 PM
I was in the hardware store not long ago in my favorite skirt to get some 12/2 wire for a project.  :) Got correctly gendered once and incorrectly gendered once. I also got some strange glares.  :-\

Lisa
I found that it is best to wear a baseball cap with typical male type clothing if I want to be male gendered.  As long as I can hide my boobs well enough playing male should work for me pretty well.  It does not bother me to go male, I have zero dysphoria against anything male, I can switch between the genders like a ping pong ball.  I am still pretty much without any real solid gender identity.

•  

Linde

Quote from: NatalieRene on December 20, 2018, 10:04:35 PM
The effects could catch up with you. One day you might wake up and male fail despite your best efforts. It's not too late to bump your head on the glass ceiling. ;D
That would be something!  Popping the pills in like candy, nothing happens for months in a row, and than over night, bingo, I have D cup sized boobs!

•  

NatalieRene

Quote from: Dietlind on December 20, 2018, 10:21:24 PM
That would be something!  Popping the pills in like candy, nothing happens for months in a row, and than over night, bingo, I have D cup sized boobs!
I don't know about d cups. Unless your getting breast augmentation over night. I got a c cup and I've been told those results are not common.
  •  

Linde

Quote from: NatalieRene on December 20, 2018, 10:33:22 PM
I don't know about d cups. Unless your getting breast augmentation over night. I got a c cup and I've been told those results are not common.
But I have already B cups without any HRT!  Estrogen now either takes a break and says "I don't need to do anything, boobs are there already", or it builds up on the existing, and the result will be gigantic boobies?
  So far, I think the first scenario is happening, because my girls did not really grow any more, and I also do not have  that feeling which is described here.
I mean, I am popping pills into my system as if it is going out of style, and the only outcome is slightly changed emotions, and swollen feet instead of swollen boobs.  It could be that there was a coordination problem in my body, and the growth went to my feet instead to my bosom?

•  

PurplePelican

Don't know.. And, at this point, don't much care.

I live my life as any other woman would.. Don't hear many "off" comments. Don't get chased out of women's spaces. I'm not foolish enough to assume I pass, certainly not 100% of the time, I do get misgendered. But I don't really have much of a care what random people think of me - unless they get in my face and that will be a learning experience for them.

I obsessed over "passing" early in my transition, but finally gave it up as chasing a fantasy. The most valuable thing I've gotten from transition was the knowledge of who and what I am - and the ability to verbalise it. A far stronger armour for me than just appearance.

But the short version is, I'm too busy living life to give the whole concept much thought.
This is not medical advice. Always consult your doctor.
  •  

KathyLauren

Fun, reading all the hardware store responses!  :D

Last year, I was getting a cartload of electrical supplies for running an electrical feed to the barn.  As the cashier checked the items, she asked, "Are you going to be doing the work yourself?"  She was most impressed when I said yes!  I counted that as a pass.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

NatalieRene

Quote from: Dietlind on December 20, 2018, 11:36:10 PM
But I have already B cups without any HRT!  Estrogen now either takes a break and says "I don't need to do anything, boobs are there already", or it builds up on the existing, and the result will be gigantic boobies?
  So far, I think the first scenario is happening, because my girls did not really grow any more, and I also do not have  that feeling which is described here.
I mean, I am popping pills into my system as if it is going out of style, and the only outcome is slightly changed emotions, and swollen feet instead of swollen boobs.  It could be that there was a coordination problem in my body, and the growth went to my feet instead to my bosom?
There is more to a woman then her boobs. Plus a 40D set of breasts will be a major strain on your back. The estrodile does more and the changes are gradual so you might not notice until you or everyone else  does. It will happen eventually.
  •  

Beverly Anne

Quote from: Dietlind on December 20, 2018, 10:18:04 PM
I found that it is best to wear a baseball cap with typical male type clothing if I want to be male gendered.  As long as I can hide my boobs well enough playing male should work for me pretty well.  It does not bother me to go male, I have zero dysphoria against anything male, I can switch between the genders like a ping pong ball.  I am still pretty much without any real solid gender identity.

This thread made me think about what it would be like to go out as a guy again, or be fluid, and that thought really creeps me out. I think I'd throw up if I was misgendered. Some Saturdays I get in a relaxed Tomboy mood and go out sans makeup, cap on, flannel shirt or sweatshirt, and my least girly jeans. The pony tail, boobs, nails and so forth can't be hidden though. I can't comprehend gender fluidity, but I appreciate that many seem happy with it. My gender was set in my mother's womb. I understand someone being non-binary somewhere on the gender spectrum, but not sliding up and down the scale on any given day. As far as being stereotyped female, I enjoy the extra attention and assistance male associates give me at the hardware store or auto repair. Getting smiles is really nice. When I was pretending to be a guy before transition, I'd have to chase down an associate for help.  ;)   
Be authentic and live life unafraid!
  •  

Linde

Quote from: Beverly Anne on December 22, 2018, 11:03:04 AM
This thread made me think about what it would be like to go out as a guy again, or be fluid, and that thought really creeps me out. I think I'd throw up if I was misgendered. Some Saturdays I get in a relaxed Tomboy mood and go out sans makeup, cap on, flannel shirt or sweatshirt, and my least girly jeans. The pony tail, boobs, nails and so forth can't be hidden though. I can't comprehend gender fluidity, but I appreciate that many seem happy with it. My gender was set in my mother's womb. I understand someone being non-binary somewhere on the gender spectrum, but not sliding up and down the scale on any given day. As far as being stereotyped female, I enjoy the extra attention and assistance male associates give me at the hardware store or auto repair. Getting smiles is really nice. When I was pretending to be a guy before transition, I'd have to chase down an associate for help.  ;)
I think I am that way, because I am intersex.  I never had a gender identity, I was male, because I was made into a male and told that I am a male.  When I wake up in the morning, I really don't know what i am to be the upcoming day.  I can chose to be a guy, or a girl, or switch over mid day.  I prefer to be female, because that is what my body is trying to get towards, but I still have no real identity.
I like it to be gendered right when I go as a female, because that makes me feel good, and gives me some kind of gender identity.
For some specific tasks, it is pretty handy to be able to switch into the guy mode, but I still cannot compete with "real" guys if physical things are involved, because from my muscles, etc., I am more female than male.  But that will not show up when I am dressed right and act accordingly.
Having no real identity sucks, because the feeling of belonging to a specified group is not there, it is pretty lonesome.  That is the reason that I work very hard on becoming a woman.  I finally want to belong!

•  

Linde

•  

big kim

Thanks, growing old disgracefully! You look great in your profile pic
  •