Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

How do I explain FTM to a 4 yr old?

Started by BlueZircon, March 07, 2018, 10:30:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueZircon

So I have a four (going on 5) year old cousin, and we're super close. She always comes to me for play and for comfort. I recently came out as transgender to my family and they've been trying to call me Jay (my masculine name) as much as possible. Most of my family consists of fully matured adults, ranging from 20 - 40 years old. All except for Ella (my cousin). That's where my problem comes in. How do I explain transgenderism to her without her thinking it's just some silly game? I don't want her turning around and saying she wants to be a boy as well just because I'm doing it and she thinks I'm playing pretend. All of the different explanations I have for her all seem to revert back to her simple mind thinking it's a game. Do any of you have any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  •  

Jessica

Hi Jay! Welcome to Susan's Place!  I'm Jessica. The only experience I have with young children and the topic of transgenderism, is when I off handed mentioned to my 8 yo grandson that some people get sex changes.  He was totally oblivious to it and said he'd never heard of such a thing.  I was uncomfortable to go any further.  I do understand not wanting to give the wrong message to someone so impressionable.

I see your new here, so I'll post some links that may help you get better acquainted with the site. Then join in on a topic you find interesting and learn and share.

Please feel free to stop by the Introductions Forum to tell the members about yourself!

Things that you should read

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce.  If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere."

•  

arice

My daughter's best preschool friend (when she was 3-4) was gender non-conforming. It was always harder for adults and the kids. In my experience kids are pretty good at accepting things at face value.
I would say "some people know in their hearts that they are boys, others know that they are girls" (you could also mention non-binary if it's relevant for you). "I know that I have looked like a girl all your life but inside I know I'm a boy"

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

•  

BlueZircon

Quote from: arice on March 07, 2018, 10:40:29 AM
My daughter's best preschool friend (when she was 3-4) was gender non-conforming. It was always harder for adults and the kids. In my experience kids are pretty good at accepting things at face value.
I would say "some people know in their hearts that they are boys, others know that they are girls" (you could also mention non-binary if it's relevant for you). "I know that I have looked like a girl all your life but inside I know I'm a boy"

I can see how that might work, but Ella has pretty much only just learnt how to speak and doesn't have a very good attention span. It's suspected she has ADHD or Autism and I don't know if this would be too complicated for her

•  

arice

Quote from: BlueZircon on March 07, 2018, 10:59:12 AM

I can see how that might work, but Ella has pretty much only just learnt how to speak and doesn't have a very good attention span. It's suspected she has ADHD or Autism and I don't know if this would be too complicated for her

You know her better than we do. Maybe if that is too complicated you could just say what you would like her to call you and work from there as she starts to question it.

•  

MeTony

My sister's son was 5 when he found out about me. She told him that I am a boy inside. He said "if you know you are a boy you are a boy" he knows he is a boy. Her mom asked how he knows. "I just know".

Then we had a discussion about how we know people are boys and girls. 

Don't make it complicated.

Tony
  •  

Dashbe87

If your cousin likes books I can recommend Introducing Teddy by Jessica Walton. It is about a teddy called Thomas who tells his best friend that she knows she is not a boy teddy and wants to be called Tilly. It is a really sweet story of acceptance without being too heavy or long. Our 5yo daughter loves it, as does our 2.5yo son. The main things our daughter takes away from it are to be true to yourself and that people who love you just want you to he happy. She really likes how happy Tilly is at the end of the book.

I know you are FTM, but this may be a good way to introduce the idea in a simple way.
  •  

Megan.

I'm MTF,  but I brought the same book for my son when he was 5. Good book.

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk

•  

David1987

I would day something along the lines "I'm a boy who has a hormonal/ medical problem that makes me look like a girl. I didn't know at first"
  •