Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

For the Love of Mushrooms!

Started by Sonja, March 08, 2018, 12:10:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sonja

1)  Whats your favourite way to eat a Fungi?  Why? Why Do you LOVE mushrooms?!? 

Mine is Beef and Mushroom Pie. ( specifically from a french baker up the road from where I live )

2) If you had to choose between a hot date or a hot mushroom dinner which would you pick and Why?

Ok so I would choose the hot date BUT I would demand to be taken to dinner somewhere where they serve Beef and mushroom pies!  I'm thinking the french sort  ( god I'm hungry...)

Sonja.
  •  

Cassi

Good for you!  I see you're not hard to please! 

So, I have to remember that everyone here is from all over the world and I have this strong urge to include lamb (which I love) with mushrooms but lamb isn't that common here.  Anyway, that said, I may sound a little weird explaining things but don't want to goof up.

So, I offer my recipe for BSOS.  Now, SOS, not to be confused with the emergency signal, is slang Sh*t on a Shingle (slop being nice) and is more readily know as "chipped beef" and has a sauce,  which you heat up and serve over buscuits or toast. 

Back during my college days, before microwaves, in order to survive, I usually ate ground beef.  And occasionally had the SOS or chipped beef. 

Then one day, all I had for food was hamburger, a few cans of mushroom soup and some canned mushrooms and bread.  I cooked or browned the hamburger and placed it into a pot which I had already placed 3 cans of mushroom soup and mushrooms.  I seasoned the ground beef and then placed into the pot adding a quarter stick of butter. 

That done, I toasted a couple pieces of bread and poured the mushroom soup/hamburger onto the toast.  As the idea had come from the chipped beef or SOS, I apply coined my concoction BSOS or Bird Sh*t on a shingle.

I sometimes do this every few months because it's relatively easy to make and stores well in sealed mason jars.
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

Dani

Saute the mushrooms and add to any cooked vegetable or grilled meat. This makes a bland dinner delicious.
  •  

Julia1996

My favorite way to eat mushrooms is to saute them in butter with a little garlic. But I love mushrooms any way. Raw in salads or just by themselves, in omlettes, with steak, stuffed, on burgers, on pizza, in pasta sauce, in gravy, etc.

Hmmm well I would choose the hot date but like you I would order mushrooms at dinner.  Its shocking that there are people who don't like mushrooms but they do exist sadly. The first time Tristan and I ate pizza together he started taking the mushrooms off his pizza and putting them on mine. He said he wasn't wild about mushrooms. Gasp!! If he wasn't so sweet and wasn't so hot that could of been a deal breaker! How can someone not like mushrooms but love vegemite???? It's madness I tell you.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Cassi

They can't treat us mushroom lovers like mushrooms!!!!!  Viva La Mush-Lution!

Another way I personally like mushrooms are the big Portebello's stuff with crab and cheese and baked in a good Reisling!
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

Cassi

Quote from: Sonja on March 08, 2018, 12:10:45 AM
1)  Whats your favourite way to eat a Fungi?  Why? Why Do you LOVE mushrooms?!? 

Mine is Beef and Mushroom Pie. ( specifically from a french baker up the road from where I live )

2) If you had to choose between a hot date or a hot mushroom dinner which would you pick and Why?

Ok so I would choose the hot date BUT I would demand to be taken to dinner somewhere where they serve Beef and mushroom pies!  I'm thinking the french sort  ( god I'm hungry...)

Sonja.

Beef and mushroom pie sounds interesting, must be a NZ thang but like the idea.  You'll have to post more infoon it.
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

Sonja

Quote from: Cassi on March 08, 2018, 06:09:03 PM

Another way I personally like mushrooms are the big Portebello's stuff with crab and cheese and baked in a good Reisling!
Wow that sounds delish! - have you had that in a restaurant?
  •  

Julia1996

Quote from: Cassi on March 08, 2018, 06:09:03 PM

That does sound amazing! Mmmm
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Sonja

Quote from: Cassi on March 08, 2018, 06:10:05 PM
Beef and mushroom pie sounds interesting, must be a NZ thang but like the idea.  You'll have to post more infoon it.
OMG....you don't have beef and mushroom pies in the US & A??? really? Incredible...

Now cassi - I read through your recipe, I think I've got it, I heat up lots of mushroom soup, pour it over a brick, and then munch munch crunch crunch. Did I get it right? It feels like I missed a step?  ( forgive me I'm foreign..)

Sonja.
  •  

Julia1996

Quote from: Sonja on March 08, 2018, 07:44:02 PM
OMG....you don't have beef and mushroom pies in the US & A??? really? Incredible...

Now cassi - I read through your recipe, I think I've got it, I heat up lots of mushroom soup, pour it over a brick, and then munch munch crunch crunch. Did I get it right? It feels like I missed a step?  ( forgive me I'm foreign..)

Sonja.

Ive made beef and mushroom pie. I don't know if its common in America though. Its a German recipie my grandma gave me. My dad totally loves it.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Cassi

Quote from: Sonja on March 08, 2018, 07:44:02 PM

Sonja.

Wow, was I that bad? 

1).  Brown hamburger or whatever meat you want to use.
2).  Add to condensed Mushroom soup and simmer, adding season to taste.
3).  Either bake biscuits or toast bread, placing whichever onto a plate (not brick), gently ladle the BSOS onto
      either the toast or biscuit and enjoy.

I'm assuming you were misled by the Bird S*it On a Shingle.  Shingle here in this case would be the toast as opposed to bricks or that disease people get.

As far as Beef/Mushroom pie - never heard of it before you mentioned it.
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

Julia1996

Quote from: Cassi on March 08, 2018, 08:12:12 PM
Wow, was I that bad? 

1).  Brown hamburger or whatever meat you want to use.
2).  Add to condensed Mushroom soup and simmer, adding season to taste.
3).  Either bake biscuits or toast bread, placing whichever onto a plate (not brick), gently ladle the BSOS onto
      either the toast or biscuit and enjoy.

I'm assuming you were misled by the Bird S*it On a Shingle.  Shingle here in this case would be the toast as opposed to bricks or that disease people get.

As far as Beef/Mushroom pie - never heard of it before you mentioned it.

AHHHHH!!! Cream of mushroom soup!! Ewwwwwwwwwwww! !! I love mushrooms but cream of mushroom soup is NASTY!  My dad used that stuff a lot when I was growing up. Anyone who brings it into my house gets lashed with a whip! Just Ewww!
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Cassi

Quote from: Julia1996 on March 08, 2018, 08:54:20 PM
AHHHHH!!! Cream of mushroom soup!! Ewwwwwwwwwwww! !! I love mushrooms but cream of mushroom soup is NASTY!  My dad used that stuff a lot when I was growing up. Anyone who brings it into my house gets lashed with a whip! Just Ewww!

Oh my, sooooooooooooooooo exciting - does your whip have a cat o'nine tails?
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

Julia1996

Quote from: Cassi on March 08, 2018, 09:53:52 PM
Oh my, sooooooooooooooooo exciting - does your whip have a cat o'nine tails?

No, its just the standard model whip. Lol
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Julia1996

Tristan has the cat o nine one.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

ChrissyRyan

I do not like the portabella mushroom caps.

I do like a lot of mushrooms however.

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

Julia1996

Quote from: ChrissyRyan on March 08, 2018, 10:01:36 PM
I do not like the portabella mushroom caps.

I do like a lot of mushrooms however.

Chrissy

I like all mushrooms. Except the ones that make you high.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

ChrissyRyan

Quote from: Julia1996 on March 08, 2018, 10:03:53 PM
I like all mushrooms. Except the ones that make you high.

I never had any mushrooms that make you high.

Sometimes at Asian food buffets they have entrees that are or are almost all mushrooms.

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

Julia1996

Quote from: ChrissyRyan on March 08, 2018, 10:12:45 PM

I never had any mushrooms that make you high.

Sometimes at Asian food buffets they have entrees that are or are almost all mushrooms.

Chrissy

I haven't either but my dad warned me about them when I was 12.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Cassi

HRT since 1/04/2018
  •