News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

For the Love of Mushrooms!

Started by Sonja, March 08, 2018, 12:10:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cassi

Quote from: ChrissyRyan on March 08, 2018, 10:01:36 PM
I do not like the portabella mushroom caps.

I do like a lot of mushrooms however.

Chrissy

Usually, the Portabellos are the largest from my experience.  I've personally never have had any magic mushrooms.
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

sarah1972

Grilled portabella mushroom burger...

Any mushroom is fine. On salad, in gravy on  op of a pork chop, on pizza, in Asian food...

•  

Cassi

You are definitely someone with taste :)
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

Julia1996

Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Cassi

Quote from: Julia1996 on March 08, 2018, 10:22:02 PM
Yeah, busted. It matches his leather restraints. Lol

For some reason I forgot how to spell Latex, lol.
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

Northern Star Girl

Thank you Sonja for starting this thread regarding our love for Mushrooms... it is difficult to believe that there are those that do not like mushrooms in any shape or form.

I do like the common Button Mushrooms the most, I always buy the 2 pound box of slice mushrooms to:
> put raw on my salads or to
> put in my omelettes,
> sauteed with onions to put with my steak
> put them in my pasta sauce as it cooks and simmers,
> put them in my casseroles such as green bean casserole, chicken and rice casserole, shepherds pie, etc.
      (note: classic Shepherds pie is made with Lamb, the American version is Cottage pie made with Beef)
> sauteed mushrooms on a hamburger.
> fried hamburger meat, mushrooms and gravy with mashed potatoes.

Portobello and Shiitake mushrooms are tasty and terrific too but a bit more expensive.

.... and don't forget about Cream of Mushroom Soup... served with a toasted cheese sandwich it makes a nice lunch on a cold day.  Important: when heating a cream soup it is imperative to be careful to not overheat or to bring it to a boil, accidentally or on purpose, it will "break" the cream and the soup will be watery not creamy.  Never over 160 degrees F.

When I am out of fresh mushrooms to add to my cooked foods, a can or two of sliced mushrooms is an acceptable choice for anything other than putting on my salad (I want raw mushrooms for my salads)

I have most likely forgotten a few of my favorite uses for mushrooms..... but I may add to this in the future.
Thanks again Sonja for starting this Mushroom thread.
Aspiringperson
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures

Started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old & Single
Email: northernstargirl@susans.org
  •  

steph2.0

Interesting topic. I just ran across it, and by coincidence tonight I made one of my favorite mushroom-based dinners. Sliced portobellos, thin sliced onions, and asparagus stir fried in olive oil. Eaten in whole wheat tortillas with shredded cheese and thousand island dressing. Omm nomm nomm!

We had a neighbor over this evening, since he was going to starve with his wife out of town, and he went gaga over it. His wife will be calling the lady next door for her recipe.

- Stephanie

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

Cassi

Quote from: Steph2.0 on March 08, 2018, 10:46:55 PM
Interesting topic. I just ran across it, and by coincidence tonight I made one of my favorite mushroom-based dinners. Sliced portobellos, thin sliced onions, and asparagus stir fried in olive oil. Eaten in whole wheat tortillas with shredded cheese and thousand island dressing. Omm nomm nomm!

We had a neighbor over this evening, since he was going to starve with his wife out of town, and he went gaga over it. His wife will be calling the lady next door for her recipe.

- Stephanie

Thank you Steph, sounds awesome.  Will have to try doing that.  Olive oil and wine tend to become my best friend when I cook.  Probably should use more of the wine in the food instead of with :)
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

Sonja

Quote from: Aspiringperson on March 08, 2018, 10:38:13 PM
Thank you Sonja for starting this thread regarding our love for Mushrooms... it is difficult to believe that there are those that do not like mushrooms in any shape or form.

I do like the common Button Mushrooms the most, I always buy the 2 pound box of slice mushrooms to:
> put raw on my salads or to
> put in my omelettes,
> sauteed with onions to put with my steak
> put them in my pasta sauce as it cooks and simmers,
> put them in my casseroles such as green bean casserole, chicken and rice casserole, shepherds pie, etc.
      (note: classic Shepherds pie is made with Lamb, the American version is Cottage pie made with Beef)
> sauteed mushrooms on a hamburger.
> fried hamburger meat, mushrooms and gravy with mashed potatoes.

Portobello and Shiitake mushrooms are tasty and terrific too but a bit more expensive.

.... and don't forget about Cream of Mushroom Soup... served with a toasted cheese sandwich it makes a nice lunch on a cold day.  Important: when heating a cream soup it is imperative to be careful to not overheat or to bring it to a boil, accidentally or on purpose, it will "break" the cream and the soup will be watery not creamy.  Never over 160 degrees F.

When I am out of fresh mushrooms to add to my cooked foods, a can or two of sliced mushrooms is an acceptable choice for anything other than putting on my salad (I want raw mushrooms for my salads)

I have most likely forgotten a few of my favorite uses for mushrooms..... but I may add to this in the future.
Thanks again Sonja for starting this Mushroom thread.
Aspiringperson
Wow - I don't mean to 'out' you but you sound like you actually know what you're talking about, I take it your pretty handy in the kitchen?  Any formal training?  Chef by Night or just ...? ??? 

Also the second question?

Aspiringperson - Some slob comes up to you holding a blueberry muffin and an espresso, you're about to take said offer and smile when you smell what can only be the worlds best sauteed mushrooms on steak oozing out of nearby restaurant, What do YOU do??..... ;)

Sonja
  •  

Sonja

Quote from: Steph2.0 on March 08, 2018, 10:46:55 PM

- Stephanie
Stephanie - YUM - that sounds great - so its a vegetarian recipe? 

Sonja
  •  

steph2.0

Quote from: Sonja on March 09, 2018, 02:03:57 AM
Stephanie - YUM - that sounds great - so its a vegetarian recipe? 

Sonja

Yes, kind of unintentionally. I'm generally a middling carnivore (chicken, turkey, and fish mostly), but this one doesn't have any meat in it at all, much to the chagrin of my dog.

- Stephanie

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

Cassi

So, I've been trying to eat healthier and that includes salads, which I like to add shrimp, olives and of course mushrooms. 

I've been buying the mushrooms whole packaged and take them out and put them in a few baggies.  When I'm ready to use them, I use my egg slicer to slice the mushrooms.  Also do this with large pitted olives.

I've noticed that the mushrooms don't stay fresh too long.  Any suggestions on fix'n this?
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: Cassi on March 09, 2018, 12:48:07 PM
So, I've been trying to eat healthier and that includes salads, which I like to add shrimp, olives and of course mushrooms. 

I've been buying the mushrooms whole packaged and take them out and put them in a few baggies.  When I'm ready to use them, I use my egg slicer to slice the mushrooms.  Also do this with large pitted olives.

I've noticed that the mushrooms don't stay fresh too long.  Any suggestions on fix'n this?

@ Cassie:   From one mushroom lover to another....   NO, NO, NO... no baggy!!!  :eusa_naughty: :eusa_hand: You have to be careful with temporarily storing mushrooms in your fridge...  putting them in an air tight plastic baggy is NOT GOOD, they will get soggy, slimy and nasty.  Either leave the end of the baggy open or the best thing is to put them in a paper bag not tightly closed... they need air to keep them nice tasting and nice looking for any length of time.
Your mushroom buddy,
Aspiringperson
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures

Started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old & Single
Email: northernstargirl@susans.org
  •  

Cassi

Quote from: Aspiringperson on March 09, 2018, 01:00:25 PM
@ Cassie:   From one mushroom lover to another....   NO, NO, NO... no baggy!!!  :eusa_naughty: :eusa_hand: You have to be careful with temporarily storing mushrooms in your fridge...  putting them in an air tight plastic baggy is NOT GOOD, they will get soggy, slimy and nasty.  Either leave the end of the baggy open or the best thing is to put them in a paper bag not tightly closed... they need air to keep them nice tasting and nice looking for any length of time.
Your mushroom buddy,
Aspiringperson

Thank you Appy!!!!

I was beginning to think I should put them in a dark place and you know what on them. 

Seriously, appreciate tip!
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

davina61

Mushroom curry (of course) very tasty , chicken and mushroom pie with a very short pastry . when I have a fried breakfast I cook bacon first then fry sliced shrooms in the bacon fat as they are good sponges for the flavor
a long time coming (out) HRT 12 2017
GRS 2021 5th Nov

Jill of all trades mistress of non
Know a bit about everything but not enough to be clever
  •  

Cassi

Still doesn't remove my love of mushrooms:

HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

Sonja

Quote from: Aspiringperson on March 09, 2018, 01:00:25 PM
Your mushroom buddy,
Aspiringperson
Aspiringperson - Excellent and sound advice! ....However, if you don't have any paper bags lying about I suggest the following steps.
Step 1)  open your cake hole and put mushrooms inside.
step 2) open and close cake hole rapidly - munch, munch on the exotic taste of the delectable fungus.
step 3) swallow and store said mushrooms in your tummy.
step 4) When you need more mushrooms go buy more!......

Davina - fried mushrooms are Awesome!!, nothing makes makes bacon and eggs taste as good as when they're accompanied with fried mushrooms.... (stomach starts to grumble...)

Sonja
  •  

Cassi

Aye Lassie, ya got me with the Cake Hole term.  Had me brain scrambled fer a minute.
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

Sonja

Quote from: Cassi on March 09, 2018, 04:01:55 PM
Aye Lassie, ya got me with the Cake Hole term.  Had me brain scrambled fer a minute.
Oh its a British saying when someones getting cheeky the other will say 'Oi you! shut your cake hole!" ( your mouth )

Sonja.
  •  

Cassi

Quote from: Sonja on March 09, 2018, 06:00:16 PM
Oh its a British saying when someones getting cheeky the other will say 'Oi you! shut your cake hole!" ( your mouth )

Sonja.

Interesting.  I think I've heard "Shut your pie hole" and "Shut your yap" so now I've learned something new!  Thank you.
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •