Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Queer, Trans, and Non-Binary Identity In Academia

Started by TrashGoblin, February 18, 2018, 07:46:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrashGoblin

Hey, Trashgoblin here  >:-)!
I am a nonbinary trans student that is getting a degree in gender and queer studies at university. I have a deep interest in academia and love gender and queer studies, however I think that a lot of the discourse that is focused on/taught is super academic. Which makes sense. I'm just curious if other people who are trans/queer/nonbinary/etc. have or are also getting a degree in gender studies/queer studies/gender and queer studies. I'm curious about what other people in the community think of this as an academic train of thought. What do y'all think isn't focused on enough? What do you want to see looked at or studied? Why? I'd like to have a thread of learning here for anyone (academic or not) to discuss this.
  •  

Dani Rae

It's nice to know that there are other TGNC folks in academia. I have actually been struggling with being nonbinary in an academic setting recently. I'm in a master's counseling program, so I am not studying gender or queer theory. So I don't know what is covered in an actual gender studies/queer theory curriculum, but one of the areas I'm particularly is how the binary gender system negatively affects everyone. Specifically, I'm interested in how living in a binary and cis-heteronormative society impacts mental health and well-being. Hope I'm not way off your mark. I just saw someone else in academia and wanted to respond because it's been getting lonely being the only trans person in my program.
  •  

cadenemory

Hi all! Also happy to see this thread. I just finished an MA in LGBTQ Rhetoric and Queer Theory. I wasn't out as noxnbinary at the time and my legal name will forever be on that online thesis. *sigh* But, I will say I read work by so many queer, gay, lesbian, and transgender scholars, but can only recall a couple short pieces by NB people.

However, especially from a rhetorical perspective, I like that gender and sexuality studies is becoming more intrinsic to academic inquiry. I felt at home in rhetoric, and am still contemplating pursuing my PhD
  •