Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Once & For Always

Started by Ann W, March 18, 2018, 09:13:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ann W

I think it's lovely that a transgender board has a film section. It's good to know that others have a love for film like my own.

There is a 1949 film entitled "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court," based -- sort of -- on Twain's novel of the same name. Twain probably spun in his grave when this film came out; it's a really embarrassing bit of fluff that does no honor to Twain's novel. But what it has got is songs. The songs are more significant than the film, and one in particular: "Once and For Always," by Jimmy Van Heusen and Johnny Burke. You can find a Bing Crosby rendition on YouTube; but it's not the same as the duet in the film, with Rhonda Fleming; the counterpoint provided by her female voice to Bing's immortal baritone adds something wonderful to the song.

This performance of this song has always affected me deeply; and, lately, I find that it brings me to tears, just thinking about it. I guess it's the estrogen, thank heaven, setting my emotions free. I don't know how others feel, but for my money Bing Crosby is one of the greatest singers of the last hundred years. Elvis was great; you'll get no argument from me on that. Karen Carpenter was great, and in a class by herself.  But Crosby was greater. I suspect he was the greatest popular singer of the 20th century.

I don't know why this song moves me to tears. I only know that it does. You may have to catch it on TV, or buy the DVD, to hear the duet. I do own the DVD, thank heaven. :) I haven't been able to find it on-line.

•