Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Multidose vials & storage

Started by November Fox, March 20, 2018, 07:15:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

November Fox

Hi!

I have a question pertaining vials that you use multiple times.
So far I had single use (throw-away) glass ampoules.

I was wondering if you should cover the vial with anything after the rubber "cap" has been punctured. Or just clean it with an alcohol swab the next time you draw.

Any intel would be appreciated :) I can't seem to find any online.
  •  

Dex

I have always just cleaned the rubber stop the next time I use it, which you should regardless. I, personally, keep the box the vial comes in and put it back in there. I don't think it matters but I feel better about it that way. I have a dry box I keep all my supplies in.

You shouldn't have to specifically cover the vial's top. The rubber is self sealing so as long as you sterilize that each time you use it, you should be good
  •  

November Fox

Thanks Dex.

I ended up sterilizing a jar and putting the vial in there. Just in case - don't want to compromise it. I sterilize the top too so it should be fine.
  •  

Magnus

I keep mine in the box (and keep that in a leather pouch, in a drawer). I also always swab the top with alcohol. And I try never to actually touch the top if at all avoidable.

Additionally, you'll need to be a bit more cautious with the MDV's as you can easily contaminate your vials if you're not paying due diligence to what you are doing.

Never, ever use even just a drawing needle more than once.
Never, ever use even just a drawing needle that you've dropped.
ALWAYS swab the vial top with alcohol before pinning it.
Try not to touch the vial top if you can avoid it.
Do NOT ever touch the drawing/injecting needle and then put it in the vial.
Do NOT double-dip between current and next vials (THEE premiere cause of vial contamination).
Et cetera.

Oh, and please don't toss it into your sock/underwear drawer...
DO keep it in a cool, dry place with minimal light exposure.

Dunces that failed to ply common-sense as above are why we don't get dispensed 10mL's in North America anymore (and now must pay TWICE as much for the bedeviled 1mL's). :-\

•  

November Fox

;D

I wasn't planning on tossing it in the sock drawer - I'm already messing with my body more than enough -. Good idea to swab the top with alcohol though. You mean with a q-tip or one of those pre-sterilized wipes you can buy at the drugstore?

Thanks.
  •  

Magnus

That one was in jest. Well, sorta (I have actually heard tell of those that store theirs there. *Sigh*). :P

Yup, sterile alcohol wipes from a pharmacy/medical supply. One for vial top, other for injection site.

In a pinch, I have used the bottled (70% - I'd advise against the 50% I'm seeing creep in) and it's OK but its not nearly so sterile as the other.

•  

smithers 70

I always swab w/ an alcohol pad. I keep my T in its box.

Sent from my LM-X210VPP using Tapatalk

•